Game Five Postponed At 2-2 Tie – Phillies Nation
Posts

Game Five Postponed At 2-2 Tie

UPDATE: Game five has been rescheduled for 8 p.m. Tuesday.

The Phillies had a 2-0 lead. Then the rain came down. 2-1 lead. Harder. Stronger. 2-2. Game stopped.

Major League Baseball has postponed game five due to rain at a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the sixth. Cole Hamels will lead off the game when it’s re-started. Commissioner Bud Selig has not given a time for the game to begin again.

Selig also said he could’ve stopped the game before the bottom of the sixth, meaning the Phils could’ve had a 2-1 lead with the game stopped. (Of course, I don’t want the Phils winning the world championship on a shortened game.) Instead, Hamels and the Phils had to play through the rain, and the Rays scored the tying run, before the game was finally halted.

Frankly, this is a black eye for baseball, and especially for Selig, who has once again proved incompetent as leader of this organization. The game should’ve been stopped before the sixth. Throw out the rulebook. This is the World Series. And it’s ridiculous — absolutely freakin’ ridiculous that this whole charade took place so late.

Forget homerism. The rain created a harsh atmosphere way before the sixth. And now the Phils have a tie game, have little momentum, and complete uncertainty as to when the game will be resumed. Some fans will be shut out of the possible clincher. Hamels may not pitch again this season. And now a huge risk is run — the Phils suddenly find themselves needing to win, and soon, because Tampa awaits. Now it’s confusion ruling the roost, handled horribly by the idiot upstairs. I’m sorry Bud Selig, but you struck out this time.

Associated Press photo

1. Paul

October 27, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Completely agree…wtf selig

2. OregonEric

October 27, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I’m happy to be one of the first commenters here. Bud Selig, and MLB at large, did seriously drop the ball here. Aside from Joe Buck bitching about the conditions hindering the Rays ability to play ‘their game’ (i.e. stealing bases), with BJ Upton quickly stealing a base, this was bungled. It seems like there are too many obstacles in front of this team. Either play the game, or don’t, Selig. Grow a set, and make a decision.

3. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Okay, so WTF is going on? Are we in a delay? Or is the game officially called for the night?

4. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 11:31 pm

If anyone can get me a job, I’d appreciate it. I’m calling out of work until they play/win and I’m going to need some new employment when I get fired.

5. MikeMc26

October 27, 2008 at 11:32 pm

He’s either really dumb or really shady, but definitely very greedy.

6. Tim Malcolm

October 27, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Game is called. To resume TBD. We’ll let you know.

7. J-Man

October 27, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Bud Selig is an idiot when it comes to making decisons like when he called the 2002 All-Star game a tie…I don’t want the Phils to win on a weather delay,but the weather was horrible long before they decided to delay it they should of delayed it awhile ago and like you said now the Phils have burned their best pitcher and we don’t have much momentum and the Rays have David Price ready for long relief while the Phils have guys who can’t go more then one inning…Thank Bud Selig for costing us the World Series.

8. Paul

October 27, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Dave, officially called. The earliest it will start is tomorrow at 8 but in all likelihood it’ll be pushed to Wednesday if the weather radar is correct.

9. J-Man

October 27, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Dave:It’s been called off their going to try and play it tomorrow night.

10. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Thank you…. I see that PhilliesNation once again outdoes the Mainstream Sports Media.

AND F BUD SELIG!!!!!!!

11. Paul

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

J-man…I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s going to cost us the World Series. I mean we still have 3 games to play.

12. Geoff

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

They couldve legally called the game in our favor but they waited until the Rays tied the game and hurriedly postponed it. I an SO sick and tired of this network tv primetime BS. play the game earlier in the day. its baseball, baseball is not meant to be played at 130 am. This is ridiculous. They jackasses totally put a black eye over this World Series.

The Phillies are going to win this World Series no matter what. It is not IMPOSSIBLE to lose this now. They will win. I dont want to hear anymore of this PATHETIC LOSER whining from my fellow Philadelphians. NOT NOW. NOT THIS TIME. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD SERIES….PERIOD!

Yes, Major League Baseball does not want the Phillies to win. We already knew that. Deal with it, overcome it. This game should be restarted at the top of the 6th win a 2-1 lead. Otherwise its just not fair. The Phillies are going to win game 5 regardless. They will eek a run out of this somehow and close the door.

Bud Selig should be ousted as the Commissioner at the Winter Meetings THIS year.

13. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Looks like I may make a trek to Philly Wednesday to try to get in…..if they play it in the afternoon.Man,this really blows.I was looking forward to that chess game called the hot stove league.

14. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Mitch Williams is flipping out on csn. Said it wasn’t fair to send Cole out there in the top of the 6th, and the Rays pitcher gets to start on a dry mound in the bottom when it’s played.

15. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Mitch Williams and Ricky Bo said it best. Seriously, ridiculous that they made Hamels stand out there in the rain for 10 minutes. The ground ball that Upton got was a result of the bad weather, which on a normal day, Rollins fields that.

Total ridiculous BS!

16. Alan Robert

October 27, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Sitting, waterlogged in the Linc parking lot just a little pissed. Game should have been delayed when they made the pitching change in bottom of the 5th when we had 2 men on and no out. Selig eats sh*t!

17. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Georgie, I’d be flipping out too….. I suppose this is why i stay behind the cameras.

18. Geoff

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Um….j-man. IT is completely WEAK and PATHETIC to say that this cost us the World Series. Thats a feeble, bottom-feeding, loser thing to say.

Theyre winning this world championship.

19. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

This is total BS. Complete ridiculous total absolute BS.

20. TwoTonsOfIrony

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Quick thought. I don’t know exactly how the whole pitchers arm thing works. But with Hamels not having to pitch for another 4 mos or so, could he come out and finish this game without hurting his arm. From what I can tell they don’t really feel the effects of their game until about two days later. So could he come out and finish the game without much damage to his arm?

Another one. If Hamels leads off the inning and they score behind him and then they take him out for the bullpen, does he still win because he was “in the game” when they took the lead?

21. TwoTonsOfIrony

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

22. TwoTonsOfIrony

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

23. TwoTonsOfIrony

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

24. Robbi P

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

I hate this media love feast with the F’ing Rays. Bud Selig is getting back to us for beating the BrewCrew. I feel sick. Today is going to be the worst part of my life waiting for the Phillies to go.

25. MikeMc26

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Mitch has a good point

26. Bruce

October 27, 2008 at 11:45 pm

It’s also has been announced that ticket stubs for tonight’s suspended game will be honored for tomorrow’s resumption of game starting no earlier than 8:00PM (weather permitting).

27. TwoTonsOfIrony

October 27, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I’m really sorry about the multiple posts, my cpu kind of fritzed out and pressed the button a couple times.

October 28, 2008 at 12:02 am

WE will be the ones batting first. The game starts BOTTOM of 6th! So if we score a run in that inning, Hamels would be winning the game.

Frankly, I wouldn’t want Hamels tomorrow for the 7th inning. I’ve never seen Hamels work on two consecutive days, no matter how short the outing might be. If he BEGS for the ball, then yea, let him keep pitching. But we have a really good bullpen and only *hopefully* 3 more innings to pitch.

29. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:05 am

But seriously, Tampa does get to field the game now in clean conditions, something we did not.

Rollins would have made that play and gotten Upton out had the field conditions not been the way they had. This was taylor made to work against us.

It should have been delayed in the 5th inning for crying out loud.

30. Holger Danske

October 28, 2008 at 12:06 am

They need to cancel baseball forever, and do it now, while space-time is still (relatively) intact.

31. Keith

October 28, 2008 at 12:11 am

so Taguchi-Rollins-Werth for the 6th and Burrell ends the game with a game winning homerun off that lame Rays pitcher they keep promoting

October 28, 2008 at 12:11 am

“It is the rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.”

Lets go out tomorrow or Wednesday or whenever this game is supposed to continue, and WIN it. We can do it. We obviously lost a big advantage, but we can do this. We have a great bullpen and we’ll be playing in Philly. Lets eat up their bullpen tomorrow. Main course: David Price.

33. Dave

October 28, 2008 at 12:11 am

Selig said:

If Pena had not tied it, Selig said he would not have let the Phillies win with a game that was called after six innings.

“It’s not a way to end a World Series,” he said. “I would not have allowed a World Series to end this way.”

34. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:13 am

Manny, I’m with ya. We are gonna pull this out…….HERE IN PHILLY!!!!

35. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:13 am

If it’s a righty throwing, I say just put Stairs out there and go all out and get a run.

36. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:14 am

It’s so hard to be optimistic in this. I just feel like we are cheated enough to the point that it will hurt us

37. Keith

October 28, 2008 at 12:14 am

or hell have Myers bat 😉

38. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:15 am

I’m never going to get to sleep tonight now. I’m seriously so freakin’ upset.

39. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:16 am

Who’s to say that if they had stopped at the end of 5 that the Rays wouldn’t have scored MORE than one run in the top 6th when it resumed. Let’s give Cole credit for only giving up the one. No way of knowing…….but this what we have and let’s deal with it and prevail.

40. Mike W.

October 28, 2008 at 12:17 am

We have to look at it this way, we are still in control. We have a tie game, but we have 4 ABs left and they only have 3. We should win this game.

But Mitch Williams is 100% correct, and Selig, again, looked like a complete ass. What a joke.

41. Keith

October 28, 2008 at 12:17 am

blah blah, I don’t want to wait until Wednesday 🙁

42. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:17 am

I know…..I’m sounding too optimistic. This really DOES suck!

43. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:18 am

Selig LOOKED like a complete ass because he IS a complete ass

44. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:20 am

So who starts for us tomorrow or Wed when he has to take the mound.? Which reliever has the makeup to sort of be like a starter?

45. Mike W.

October 28, 2008 at 12:20 am

Durbin.

46. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:22 am

Yeah I guess that’s the logical move. I always forget about him because of the heroics of all the rest of the bullpen.

47. Brian Michael

October 28, 2008 at 12:23 am

The only ones that make out are the parking lots. Everyone’s gonna have to pay another 12 or 30 bucks to park tomorrow.

48. Dave

October 28, 2008 at 12:25 am

Well what we need is a run to start off the game bottom of the sixth and then just get through the top 7 by committee and get it to Madson and Lidge.

Of course Selig admitted he was playing god:

The Philadelphia Phillies wouldn’t have had the game handed to them, despite driving rain.

After Game 5 of the World Series was suspended on Monday, commissioner Bud Selig said that he would not have allowed a rain-shortened conclusion to the deciding game even if the Tampa Bay Rays had not tied the game 2-2 in the top of the sixth inning.

With the Phillies leading after 5½ innings, officials could have called the game due to rain and awarded Philadelphia the win and a 4-1 Series victory.

“We’d have sat here,” Selig said. “The game would have been in a rain delay until the weather conditions allowed us to continue. And that could have been 24 hours or 48 hours or whenever.”

That’s a noteworthy stand because the rules don’t permit an official game to be suspended unless it’s tied. But Selig said he would have declared a de facto suspension, based on his own authority, and simply called it a “rain delay.”

“I have to use my judgment here,” the commissioner said. “This is not a way to end the World Series.”

One of these days, then, the Rays and Phillies are going to finish the fifth game of the World Series. Just don’t ask when.

“We’re not going to resume until we have decent weather conditions,” Selig said at a surreal press conference.

Selig said he couldn’t say when this game will be resumed. He just said it would be a night game when that happens.

“It will be the same starting time whether it’s Tuesday night or Wednesday night or Thursday night or whenever,” Selig said.

And since the forecast is ugly for Tuesday and into Wednesday, there is no telling when that will be. Yet. But Selig said he had no intention of moving the rest of this game to Tampa Bay.

“No, we’ll stay here,” he said, “if we have to celebrate Thanksgiving here.”
    Selig said fans will be given “many hours” of notice as to when they should haul out their ticket stubs and come back to the park.

49. Greg V.

October 28, 2008 at 12:30 am

I am beyond furious! BEYOND IT! This is the hugest lump of bullshit I have ever seen in my life in baseball! That fact that it is happening to this team is just horrible! This game should have been halted at the top of the inning! I am disgusted at Bud Selig! He has proven himself incompetent! George W. Bush was in heavy competition for this job with Selig! I find myself in absolute amazement, when I utter this, but I wish Mr. Bush was MLB Commissioner tonight!

50. Dan

October 28, 2008 at 12:31 am

I was at the game – a surreal experience to say the least. I’m just hoping the players can mentally “re-prepare” for a potential WS clinching game….that is only 3.5 innings long. They’re professionals, and always have been a “business-first” team, so I’m confident that they can. But they could always use a little help…

…So to all fans that will be there again whenever play resumes: We NEED to re-create that electrifying atmosphere that was there for the first few innings of tonight’s game. It was absolutely amazing down there with all of you, and these guys are gonna need us.

Let’s do this.

Go PHILS!!

51. nelson

October 28, 2008 at 12:32 am

i don’t disagree with suspending the game. calling the game with a phils lead is not the way to bring home a championship.

BUT… as noted many times, selig really f’cked this one up. if he knew the whole time that this game would not be decided by foul weather, then why wait until the rays tied it before calling the game? and why not make that fact known to everyone–the players, managers, umpires, broadcasters, etc.? interesting that the inclement weather rules were put into effect last year, but what does it matter with big bud at the helm? i don’t think the field was in any worse condition at the middle of the 6th than it was at the end of the 5th. so at the very least, make the rays play in that slop. plus, i don’t buy his on-the-fly antics on the podium. god forbid, if the rays had taken the lead in the 6th, i don’t see this game being suspended. something tells me this game would have been called with a rays victory.

and maddon is quickly making my sh*t list. at first, i felt that he was a good, classy representative for the game of baseball. articulate and always willing to give credit where credit is due. but i’m starting to see past that charrade with his persistent acts of gamesmanship. he was very quick to keep his players on the bench after they tied the game and make an appeal to stop the game. and of course, they listened because these are the rays.

i’m kinda upset and surprised that charlie didn’t say anything. i don’t know if he was confused, pissed, or indifferent. but at the same time, i gotta admire him for just dealing with it and playing the game. i don’t think an argument would’ve helped any, so no use in wasting his energy.

so anyway, i’d just like to thank selig, MLB, and fox for screwing this up big time. selig has got to be THE WORST representative for baseball ever. how is it that this guy sits at the top?

ok, i’m done complaining. the series and championship is still our to take. so let’s go out and take it.

52. Greg V.

October 28, 2008 at 12:32 am

My pick to start this game up again? Ryan Madson. We can get two strong out of him I think.

53. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:32 am

Well, I guess it’s time to try to get some sleep (if I can). Tomorrow we all get to crank it up once again. I don’t know about the rest of you, but the emotional toll is getting to me. I just wan this to be over already. If this thing goes back to Tampa, I may have to resort to drastic measures. I seriously don’t know if I can ever listen to a cowbell again.

54. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:32 am

I seriously feel like it has been completely ripped from us. Momentum, the game, the series…..

I have this gut feeling that this will go badly now. I hope to God they prove me wrong.

Tim was right, there were tears tonight, but they certainly weren’t for victory….

55. Dice

October 28, 2008 at 12:33 am

I’m going to say this now…

If this game was in LA, New York, Chicago of that dumb Boston, they game would’ve been suspended at the bottom of the fifth in not sooner.

56. Trev

October 28, 2008 at 12:34 am

this is ridiculous… i said originally tht it wud be a “tainted win” if it ended after 6 ininngs like tht. but cmon.. if somethin terrible happens with our phillly luck then this thts such a bad call.. THIS IS OUR CHAMPIONSHIP.

57. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:35 am

I’m trying my best to calm down, because I seriously feel so angry that I’m having chest pains…..

58. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:39 am

Guys….we have to get our sh!t together……the team needs us. Like Dan said, we have to recreate that electric atmosphere. If any of you can’t go to the game when it resumes then GIVE your ticket to a friend, a family member, anyone who is a true fan so he or she CAN recreate that atmosphere for the team. WE CAN DO THIS and WE WILL DO THIS!!!!

59. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:41 am

Breathe, SJ, breathe.

60. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:43 am

I’m trying my best….

And watching the interviews got me more worked up. The Phillies for the most part refused to speak because of how angry they were (and rightfully so).

Tampa is all out there (including Maddon and Pena) with smug smiles about how great this is for them….

61. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:47 am

Yeah, well let’s see who has the last laugh. Maddon’s a poor example of a humble man. Charlie did the right thing for not speaking.

62. MikeB

October 28, 2008 at 12:48 am

If Selig “got nervous” about playing conditions in the fourth inning, why in the world did he not suspend the game at that time? The field became unplayable beyond that point. Seems like him and the umpires in this series have alot in common.

63. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:49 am

I just have this horrible gut feeling that this is going to kill the team and cost us our World Series….

The same one I have been waiting my entire life for…..

64. Grrrumpy Miner

October 28, 2008 at 12:49 am

You Phillies fans were Jobbed and Robbed……..I have 7 words to say and from NY to Philly,GET A NEW G0D D— COMMISHIONER!

65. Philsin08

October 28, 2008 at 12:51 am

C’mon, y’all, man the f&*ck up. Enough of this whiny, loser talk.

We’re still in a great position. We’re at home. We need to outlast the Rays for three innings. We got Madson/Romero for one inning and Lidge for two innings.

The Phils are a mentally tough bunch. They’ll be ready to go tomorrow. And so should we.

And I know ESPN love David Price — and he’s got great stuff for sure — but he’s a rookie and the last time I saw him he was giving up a home run to Brunlett of all people.

Bullpen holds em. We get a run or two and win it all. And when we win it, it will be legit.

66. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:53 am

I’m seriously thinking the worst is going to happen. I have this gut feeling it is going to…..

And it is not right. It is not fair.

This is being stolen from us. If I were the Phillies, I’d file a protest for not putting the tarp on at the end of the 5th when it should have been put. Instead, they waited til the Rays tied it up and Joe Maddon then says “hey let’s put the tarp on.”

67. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:53 am

You know what…….this is a gritty, hard-edged town. Nothing in this city comes easy. But some thing tells me that it all going to work out. No question…..no one will be able to say that we didn’t earn it when it’s all over.

68. Grrrumpy Miner

October 28, 2008 at 12:55 am

Selig got nervous?!?!? He more like carpped the bed.

69. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 12:56 am

My girlfriend tried to cheer me up by saying that the Phils have been so resilient and have played so well against adversity.

I sure hope she is right.

70. krams

October 28, 2008 at 12:59 am

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. UNBELIEVABLE. ONLY IN PHILADELPHIA. GAAHH!!

Of course this can’t be easy…

The phils had all sorts of baserunners earlier in this game and should have a bunch more runs right now.

Send Madson out to start? I dunno, we all know how he fared as a starter. Hopefully the boys come out and pound 10 runs out in the bottom of the 6th….but that would be too easy,

Just….find a way to win…phind a way.

71. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 12:59 am

SJ, for God’s sake, pull yourself together. Dammit, this WILL be our trophy. I understand how you feel, but seriously, do you REALLY think that the Phillies can lose this series? This is a blip on the screen that we will all be talking about for years to come, but it will be a sidenote to what the real story is….of how we won the championship.

72. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:01 am

okay listen guys…
    Bud Selig didn’t conspire against the Phils.
    even if this was called earlier…THE PHILS WOULD NOT BE WORLD CHAMPS…Selig said he wasnt going to let the World Series end like that…
    so either way, we’d be waiting for this game to finish.

Now I do agree that this game should have been called WAY before it was. Cole pitching out there (even though he got the first two out) wasnt fair…
    Not sure jimmy had a play in dry weather on that play anyway…but…here we are now…nothing we can do about it.

by rule, Balfour is in the game…im sure Maddon will use different pitcher (price im sure) to avoid Dobbs or Stairs…
    if Price comes in, Coste should hit.

the Phils start the game on offense so in a way, they are the road team, and also the home team. so they have pinch hitter, then the top of the order.

this is a bullpen game…obviously. Not going to use Cole, not going to use Brett, or Joe, or Moyer….

it’s a bullpen game and you treat it like you were playing 9 straight innings…

it’ll be the same as it’s been…

a run (or a few) in the 6th would be absolutely fantastic.

I just hope the Bank has life…I hope this doesnt ruin all the energy the fans had

73. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:04 am

Chuck, over the years, I have learned that none of this is ours until it is official. We come so close, yet so far every time. Yes, we are 9 outs and 1 run away from finally getting it, but it just feels like every known force literal and spiritual is against us right now.

I have waited my entire life for tonight’s game and I sincerely feel like this based off of history of getting my hopes up.

74. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:05 am

I don’t think Madson’s the right guy for this. Actually, Cholly should throw the rotation away and pitch Myers…….yes……Myers…….he has the perfect mentality to come out in this situation and save this game. The whole place would just be nuts and he would totally rise to the occasion. Of course, that won’t happen…….so whoever it is…….please God bring your best stuff.

75. krams

October 28, 2008 at 1:09 am

That place will be rockin…the city is so starved.

Myers…i’m worried he’ll try to come out and be a closer again and just get screwed up

76. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:11 am

I hear you, SJ. Believe me, I don’t feel real good either.

77. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:11 am

Chuck, that’s a stupid idea to pitch Myers.

what if, they lose….there is NO OFF DAY before game 6.

Myers is your game 6 starter….you cant use Brett in this game at all…

you cant use ANY STARTER

the Phils are TIED…its 2-2….the series is 3-1 PHILS LEAD

why panic and use your game 6 starter in a 3 inning game??

you pitch Eyre, Durbin, JC, Madson and Lidge…

you dont change things up…

78. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:12 am

According to David Murphy’s blog, it will NOT be Myers pitching.

It will lead off with a pinch hitter and then go to the bullpen.

79. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:15 am

No shit…
    if any starter pitches it’ll be a Rays starter…they NEED to win…

why on Earth would the Phils use Myers?

it’s the 6th inning of a tie game…he’s not the closer, he’s not a bullpen guy…he’s a starter…

whoever they use, has the entire bottom of the 6th to warm up….so it’ll be the same guys we are used to..

nothing will change

80. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:16 am

Tampa would lead off with the 6-7-8 spots, all righties.

Call me crazy, but wouldn’t it be smarter then to use Madson in the 7th because of that and then have Romero for at least Ima-whatever and Crawford, both lefites?

81. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:17 am

You are probably right, mike s……BUT let’s just think about if this thing isn’t completed til Wed…..then you could pitch Moyer on Thurs with 4 days rest and Hamels Friday on short rest. I mean, how many pitches did he have tonight??

82. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:19 am

83. kyle

October 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

Go phils. Madson romero and lidge! They will score off balfour in the 6th. Go phils!

84. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

SJ, you make a good point about the righty-lefty thing.

85. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:22 am

Cole hasnt pitche on short rest AT ALL…why do it now?

and Moyer pitched like shit on the road in the playoffs.

SJ Mike…
    It won’t be Madson…UNLESS the Phils score in the 6th…
    Madson can go 2 innings…and he’s been awesome, so righty lefty, doesnt matter…
    if they score in the 6th, Madson will pitch..
    if not, then it’ll be Durbin more than likely…then Eyre JC etc to follow.

the Phils score in the 6th…things get a whole lot easier.

86. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:24 am

Trust me, I like Madson as the 8th inning setup guy, but the way Maddon shifted his lineup, it changes the righty/lefty matchups around (which is a concept I’ve always thought to be overlbown to begin with).

If it is still Balfour in the game to start, who do you lead off with? Stairs, Dobbs, or Jenkins?

87. MikeB

October 28, 2008 at 1:26 am

Pen your pinch-hitters up under the stadium at the batting cages with energy drinks and Wheaties and have them take batting practice at their own pace until the start of the suspended game and then send one of them out there to pinch-hit and he will be ready to go.

Matt Stairs. Go for broke for one run. You still have the top of the order coming up if he makes the first out.

88. J-Man

October 28, 2008 at 1:26 am

Madson and Lidge should be able to give us 2 innings each…Then we got Durbin,Erye,Romero,and possibly Happ if it comes to him.

89. SJ Mike

October 28, 2008 at 1:28 am

Anyway, on that note, I’m going to attempt (key word) to get some sleep tonight. I’ve calmed down enough I think that I might be able to.

Hopefully be back again at it tomorrow and finally wrap up this crazy journey.

90. Phils2008

October 28, 2008 at 1:29 am

They will make out like bandits on parking!

91. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:30 am

mike s, if it comes down to the 7th game of the WS and it’s on Friday and Cole has a LOW pitch count from tonight then why not do it now.??
    Wouldn’t you want your best starter on the mound for that? If he had 100 or more pitches from tonight….then ok, don’t pitch him…..but he had a low count and probably would MORE than rise to the occasion.

But this thing’s not going 7 so it’s a moot point anyway.

92. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:32 am

SJ, good chatting and bitching with you…..I’m outta here soon too.

93. Justin

October 28, 2008 at 1:36 am

Do you think the rays pitch David Price to start off the 6th tomorrow

94. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:36 am

yeah I would want my best pitcher on the mound Chuck…
    but, this is the first year Cole has gone without injury…he’s over 250 innings pitched, he doesnt go on short rest…he just doesnt do it…he’s going to be our franchise pitcher for years and years to come…
    i think using him on short rest is asking for injury.

now im not totally clear on the rule, but Balfour is def. in the game because he wasnt pinch hit for…
    now I don’t if that means he has to pitch to a hitter or not….i doubt it….

Im sure it will start with him throwing, the Phils will announce Stairs or Dobbs or Jenkins…
    Maddon will come out (complain about something im sure) then bring in Price…

which at that point Charlie should counter with Taguchi or Coste (most likely Taguchi since Coste is your backup catcher, and Bruntlett is your replacement for Burrell in the field when you have the lead)

i’d be VERY surprised if Balfour actually pitched to a hitter, considering it’ll be either a home run hitter who eats up fast balls, or the best pinch hitter in baseball…both lefties…

so expect Price early tomorrow, and by early, I mean right away.

95. kyle

October 28, 2008 at 1:37 am

J-man is right on. You use your best pitchers first. No sense in saving them. Stairs, Rollins werth against balfour, I like it. Navaro, gross and Bartlett against madson. Go phils!

96. J-Man

October 28, 2008 at 1:38 am

David Price should come in the game to pitch and will likely stay in for awhile unless the Phils rock him.

97. kyle

October 28, 2008 at 1:41 am

The problem is, then price may have to hit for himself, balfour for the 6th, if it gets to utley then price or Howell, if its Howell, price will then pitch the 7th and 8th, and maybe 9th

98. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:41 am

Don’t forget guys…

the Phils are home, so it’s NL rules…Price will have to hit if Maddon keeps him in…

so, just keep that in mind…who knows what happens

99. Adam Eaton

October 28, 2008 at 1:51 am

Hey,why not use me to pitch this suspended game,i promise i will do a good job

100. mike s

October 28, 2008 at 1:52 am

Adam, you must have forgot…
    you’re not on the post season roster…

and plus..

you suck

101. Phillies Phan SC

October 28, 2008 at 2:20 am

If I missed this, please forgive me, it is late. What about Myers starting it and then once we score we go to Lidge/Madsen if needed? My reason is simple: He pitches better at home and it saves the Pen IF we go in extra innings. If the unthinkable happens, we can use Moyer and Blanton, in game 6 and 7 – who seemed to do well. What does everyone think? I mean, throw EVERYTHING we have to keep them at zeroes, and pray someone on our side pops one.

102. Phillies Phan SC

October 28, 2008 at 2:26 am

Mike S and Chuck –

My apologies, I just saw the post. Mike S, respectfully, I am not sure it is a stupid idea. I am thinking longevity too. Look – best case scenario, we win – season over. Worst case we must go to game 6 and 7, and Myers does better at the Park, versus away. He certainly did well the other night – but here he can act as a starter by just putting up zeroes. if we score, we bring Madsen and/or Lidge in to preserve it.

I am in the mindset that we HAVE to win at home, and I would be willing to do whatever it takes. Heck, if we had to pitch one pitcher per batter to the ninth inning I’d do it. I do not care what it takes, let’s just WIN.

103. Phillies Phan SC

October 28, 2008 at 2:57 am

I just got done reading the entire thread, something I should have done before I posted my first foot in mouth post. Let’s NOT think the worst yet. We are tied, not losing. New 3-inning ballgame coming up. let’s just get out there and call all of our friends with tickets (or if you are at the game) and tell them to cheer LOUD and root the Phillies on. We can do it I still believe. Remember the movie Major League, when he said “Only one thing to do – win the whole f—- thing.” So let’s stop thinking the worst (including me), talk about winning, and figure out HOW to do this effectively. if we think of it as our last game of the year, we can use anyone we want (minus Hamels, Moyer, and Blanton just in case of course). Everyone else is available on the bench and in the pen. That is 22 freaking people. One of those 22 can pop one out. heck, 23 people if you want to hope Blanton smacks one out again. You get my point. Games is not over yet, let’s get pumped. I just think of the Mets fans and how miserable they are and how much they want us to lose. Let’s end this rivalry for the last time and WIN.

104. Mark

October 28, 2008 at 4:00 am

I’m not going to take Selig to task for the game suspension, or when the game was called. I’m just dealing with the game as it is. The Phils had scoring shots in both the fourth and fifth innings — bases jammed in the fourth, but couldn’t deliver. Kazmir walked 6 Phils in 4 innings and the Phils had left 9 runners stranded through 5 innings of at-bats.

As the Phils started the sixth up 2-1, it seemed obvious, rain or not, that they needed to score more runs to win this thing.

As to whether or not Hamels wins if he’s pulled for a pinch hitter and the Phils score in the sixth — my understanding is that he would be credited with the win.

Whether Hamels bats, or a pinch hitter, and whether we see Madson, or Durbin, or maybe even J.A. Happ in the seventh — we’ll see what move Charlie makes.

I just hope that the clubhouse gets over anger and gets down to business. Otherwise, curses are self-fulfilling prophecies.

105. Phillies Phan SC

October 28, 2008 at 4:36 am

Mark,

You are correct – IF they score in the 6th and they MAINTAIN the lead, Hamels gets the win and whomever the Rays pitcher was who gave up the tie would be tagged with the loss.

PPSC

106. Isaiah

October 28, 2008 at 6:33 am

Ok..I am not sure how to fault Selig. I think it would have been worse to cut it off after five. Then you have the bullpen pitching another inning-even though Hamels gave up a run I like my chances with him. If the Phils wouldnt have CHOKED AGAIN with RISP it would not have even mattered. We have four chances to put some up and close it out with Madson (remember he can go 2), JC if need be, and Lidge. Mother Nature was mean to us but can’t change it now. Let’s get em and take the ring.

107. Matt Veasey

October 28, 2008 at 6:39 am

I published this morning at my website/blog, and thought you folks might enjoy this. All the daily entries this past week have been about the Series, in fact, if you wish to visit and read them:

———————————————————-
    The Dream Delayed, or Drowned?

It all started so well. Game #5 of the World Series began last night with Phils’ ace Cole Hamels mowing the Tampa Bay Rays down in order and in easy fashion in the top of the first. In the bottom of the inning, the Phillies loaded the bases thanks to some rough umpiring and the early wildness of Rays all-star lefty Scott Kazmir. And then Phillies’ centerfielder Shane Victorino, the ‘Flyin’ Hawaiian’, one of the many heroes of this glorious post-season ride, lashed a base hit to left field to score two runs and give the Phillies an early 2-0 lead. The fans at Citizen’s Bank Park erupted in a frenzy of ‘Rally Towel’ waving, and thus began what was hoped to be, what everyone believed would be, the night that would end ‘The Curse’…….(continued at http://www.mattveasey.com)

108. Ryan

October 28, 2008 at 7:28 am

Bullshit. The game should have been postponed way before this. Bud Selig wants Tampa to have a chance. I can’t believe this. It’s like even nature doesn’t want the Phillies to win.

109. Jim D.

October 28, 2008 at 7:58 am

the way i see it with the forecast what it was mlb had two options
    1. move the start time up to 7
    2. not even attempt to play
    they chase neither and this is what they created
    i wonder if they would have sent the red-sox and the dodgers out
    in those conditions

110. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 28, 2008 at 8:00 am

The problem with Selig is that he comes across as totally unprepared, and he worries too much about appearances. He knew he would look bad and was trying to avoid looking bad. Consequently he made a bad decision – let the game go on in bad conditions and hope for a tie at the end of a half inning. Someone in his position needs to be decisive – just stop the thing when the field demands it and say, “look, no one in either clubhouse wants this thing determined by a called game, so it’s suspended.” If he had acted with confidence in his decision it would have been ok. Instead he sat there fretting about how he would look, and now he looks like the spineless wonder that he is. Meanwhile, Phillie needs to overcome a bs run that the rays managed to squeak out of this inning. The situations sucks for Philly, but it isn’t that Bud wants us to lose, it’s just that he’s an incompetent boob.

111. T Marty

October 28, 2008 at 8:02 am

Those tears of joy have now turned to juts of rage. So upsetting. i know it’s not over, but it was just SUCH a let down. A whole day of adrenal excitement wasted.

112. LH

October 28, 2008 at 8:21 am

I agree Tim. It was an ugly display of MLB’s administration procedures at the highest level.

113. Pingback: Did Selig do the right thing last night? » A Couple Things » A couple things about politics, sports, travel, and other stuff.

114. LH

October 28, 2008 at 8:47 am

Bud Selig said last night, “I would not have allowed a World Series to end this way”, when referring to game over because of a rain delay. What he should have thought before the game was, “I will not allow a World Series to start this way”, when he saw the rain during batting practice and read the threatening weather forecast.

October 28, 2008 at 9:08 am

“Maybe it is a lifetime of disappointments, but it just feels like this kind of stuff would only happen to us. ”

No sh*t. This only happens to the Phillies! I’m extremely upset with this whole situation and I have this terrible gut feeling too, SJ Mike. It’s exactly the type of thing the Rays needed to get a comeback. However, I’m doing my best to hide my frustration and see how the rest of the game turns out. I’d go with Durbin/Romero/Eyre/Madson for the 7th and 8th innings and hopefully give Lidge the possibility to close the 9th.

116. Scholar in Training

October 28, 2008 at 9:08 am

LH: But given the forecast you think it would have been prudent to potentially have to wait till Wednesday to play this game?

117. Katie

October 28, 2008 at 9:14 am

The forecast is terrible for tonight with 50 mph wind gusts and snow flurries. Selig said game will not be moved up; will start at 8. I would not expect the game to happen tonight. It probably will be tomorrow at 8.
    With that said, if more some horrible, awful reason, the Phils were to lose and the rest of the game were played tomorrow, would there still be a travel day? Would game 6 be played on Friday? Meaning game 7 would be Saturday? If the worst thing were to happen and a game 7 happened, Hamels could go on regular rest for a game 7 if they kept the travel day in there.

I was as absolutely furious as the rest of you last night watching that ridiculous press conference. Especially when Selig pulled out the bull shit rule book. Then when he said the game would never end with it being called, it would have been an indefinite rain delay, I really saw how everyone is against us. Why not suspend the game in the 5th or the end of the 5th? There is no way Jimmy would have dropped the ball in normal conditions and it would still be 2-1. I am absolutely disgusted and like some of these other posts have a sinking feeling. I think the city got too ahead of ourselves. People were already taking off work for the parade on Wednesday. I feel like we cursed ourselves.

However, I am trying to remind myself that this is a tie game and we bat first. We will do it! this is our moment!

F Fox and F Selig!

118. Doug

October 28, 2008 at 9:36 am

Reading some of the posts on here are completely ridiculous. MLB wants the Phillies to lose? Yeah, I bet there is some grand conspiracy of Bud Selig sitting in his office with his evil cabal of MLB executives making sure that the game would be in the Rays favor!

Think about it objectively, people. Imagine the flack they would have received if they did call the game. Picture yourselves as Rays fans, to have your season end, to have to World Series DECIDED on a rain shortened game. It would be cheap by every sense of the word.

119. Banger

October 28, 2008 at 10:05 am

We need to be better prepared we now let Delaware become Rays fans . We as host needed to provide a hotel that should of beenBuds job . We need to be better prepred the Rays shouldnt have had totravel out of Steate thay should have stayed here they cant stand howard espens so they go out of stae not to put up with philly fans and media . How embarrsing is that to a city to send a team n hour or so away . We need to be better host but dam it now go Beat Rays

120. Banger

October 28, 2008 at 10:12 am

GAME OFFICALLY MOVED TO 10 A.M WEDNESDAY MORNING . BEFORE THE NEXT STORM MOVES IN LATER WED . THIS ON USUAL BUT PARADE TO FOLLOW DIRECTLY FOLLOWING THE GAME ALL EMPLOYERS ENCORAGED TO LET YOUR EMPLOYEES OFF WED . ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE WHEN IS THE LAST TIME PHILADELPHIA DID ANY THING EASY ITS NOT EASY BEING A PHILADELPHIA SPORTS FAN NOT NOW NOT THAN BUT IT IS NEVER EASY ! MY PREDECTION IS COLE HAMMELLS ON FRI NIGHT PITCHES GAME 7 AND LIDGE RELEIVES IN WIN AND GAMEGOES 13 INGS AND THE PHILLIES WIN ON FRI PARADE SAT AT NOON = 2008 PHILLIES WORLD CHAMPS 2008 . from http://www.strasburgpa.com

121. bigmyc

October 28, 2008 at 10:15 am

There is no cursing ourselves, Katie….that was and is perfectly natural…no, the problem is seemingly otherworldly….what this means is that when these Fightins’ put a knot on this administrative disaster of a World Series and close out the 2008 baseball season victoriously for the City of Philadelphia, what a party it’ll be.

I don’t see anything wrong with making the neccessary arrangements in light of victory. This is just going to be another hurdle for which the Phillies will have to get past in order to claim what’s theirs…and wouldn’t that be in true Philly fashion?

122. Everi Mann

October 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

When the commisioner was on I thought at first is was some wino derilect. Maybe the rain got thru the carboard he was under. Phillie gets screwed again and not even kissed.

123. LH

October 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

Scholar in Training: Yes, it would have been fair to allow the players to work to their potential giving the importance of the World Series. Both team’s pitchers could have waited and played in better conditions which would have allowed the best of the two pitchers to possible play longer in the game. The conditions diminished the each player’s offensive and defensive skills. The one positive aspect is that no player was hurt.

124. KM

October 28, 2008 at 10:43 am

That game last night was bullshit, and the Phillies get hosed as usual. Bud Selig not only needs to lose his job as commissioner, but he should be tied up, have all his body hair ripped out, then be burned with sulfuric acid, and then stoned to death in the street, and after that have his body picked at by rats, infested with disease.

Basically I am saying he blows.

125. Georgie

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 am

KM-“basically I am saying he blows”. In a round-about way, I see. LOL

126. nationals#1

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 am

doug, none of us are saying that we wanted the game to be called and have the phils win on a shortened game. In fact several people (phillies fans) said it would be a cheap way to win. We’re simply saying that selig mishandled the whole situation, and we’re bitter about the tying run that probably would not have scored under normal circumstances.

127. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 28, 2008 at 11:16 am

I’m with KM….

128. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 28, 2008 at 11:19 am

Why’d the Rays have to come to MY state to stay…damn…

Laxatives in the Continental breakfast perhaps???

129. Mike S.

October 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm

the worst case…
    if they lose game 5, and lose game 6…

this is what Cole had to say about pitching game 7

“If the Phillies want me to pitch, I’d tell them I’m more than happy to step in,” Hamels said.

so there you go…
    after seeing that, i change my mind…if he WANTS to pitch, you let him pitch…

hopefully, he doesnt need to

130. Tom Z

October 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I have a bad feeling about this, really bad feeling

131. Adam

October 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Christ on an friggin’ cracker… What the hell is wrong with you people?

All of you with these “bad feelings” need to get an ‘effing grip already, especially SJ Mike (not to necessarily pick you out to pick on… but you’re panicking worse than a school-girl who missed her period.)

Seriously son… You and everyone else need to take a step back and calm the hell down. If you’d been waiting all your life for last night’s game… Then I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that you’re fairly young – Being such, I realize that with a dearth of things to draw on it’s difficult to do so… but you’ve got to put things in perspective. The same goes for everyone else who’s needlessly panicking.

Let me say this first just to get it out of the way… The timing of the weather last night was unfortunate, as was the further poor decision making skills of this year’s officiating staff. Regardless of the debacle last night, the umpires in this World Series have shown themselves to be some of the worst in recent memory. Frankly, I feel it wouldn’t be out of the question if they lost their jobs for their performance (or lack thereof) in this series… At the very least, they should be fined and banned from ever officiating any post-season games from now on. How could we honestly expect them to exercise proper judgement or stand up to Fox or Selig, if they can’t even call outs that were seen from the friggin’ space station? I mean really… Calling Upton safe at first during game three and then calling Rollins safe at third on Sunday night were some of the most absurd calls I’ve seen in quite some time, let alone in the same series. As if that weren’t bad enough, they’ve seemingly forgotten how to call pitches… despite how much I didn’t really mind it, I’ll always give credit where it’s due – there was no way Kazmir walked six batters… Yes, he threw some obvious balls, but he was throwing quite a few strikes last night that weren’t being called, a prime example being Pat The (Useless) Bat – He should have been out. They were being unbelievably tight on him… Despite the fact I think they gave Blanton some leeway the night before and were especially cutting Jamie some big breaks on Saturday. Again… it worked to our favor, so I really couldn’t care less – but I’ll still call it as I see it.

As far as that ass-hat Bud Selig goes… I have long contested that he is one of the worst, if not the worst person to ever hold the Office of the Commissioner and has done more to single-handedly destroy the game of baseball than anyone in my lifetime. I wish the owners would finally grow a pair and remove him from office… but he’s one of their own and they’ve already proven they’d rather cut their respective noses off despite their ugly, immoral faces. With that said… As much as I continue to loathe him, I don’t think there’s this grand conspiracy against the Phillies or that he necessarily wants them to lose – He’s simply an incompetent retard that loves himself and his money more than he does the game.

Three things are pretty damn obvious (that is, to everyone other than Selig and to a lesser extent – Gillick and the 12-year old over at the Rays). First – The game shouldn’t have been played at all… Selig can make all the smug comments he wants about meteorologists, but it only proves that he was only listening to the ones he wanted to listen to because John Bolaris had been saying well before the game started that rain would be moving by the start of the game and that it would start getting really nasty by 10pm at the latest. If he was so insistent about playing the game, he should have done the right thing – said “F you” to Fox and started the game at least an hour earlier (ie – when it should’ve started anyway). And then finally… If he already knew that he was going to suspend the game under the new rules no matter what, then he should have called it at the top of the fifth, period.

NOW… With all that out of the way, let’s look at the reality of the situation and put things into perspective. The only reason why any of you are having a “bad feeling” is because you did the one thing you should never, ever do – You started counting your chickens and celebrating before the game even started. Not only were you setting yourselves up and begging for disappointment, but you were taunting the baseball gods… You don’t EVER fck with the baseball gods and you don’t ever get excited and celebrate before the final out… You just don’t do that.

Truthfully speaking… The numbers weren’t adding up in my head. The Rays are a good team and I honestly didn’t expect them to lose three straight – I mean, come on now… Let’s be just a little realistic. Yes, it would be fantastic if they clinched it at home… but the chances of them losing three straight are about as good as them winning three straight.

HOWEVER… Here’s where everyone is really missing the ball with all of these “bad feelings” and overreactions of missed opportunities, lost momentum, etc. If you really step back and take a hard, honest look at how the situation was unfolding… This delay might be the best thing that could have happened – Why? Just look at Miss Longoria and her boyfriend Pena… After going hitless the entire series, they finally turned it on last night and got hits. There’s no doubt that they’re really good hitters and that they were both in an uncharacteristic slump… We all know that all it usually takes it one hit to pull a player out of a slump – just look at Howard. They got their hits and I’m sure there whole mental approach had turned for it. So the absolute best thing that could have happened was for this delay to happen just as they were turning it on… The only momentum that’s being screwed with is theirs! They finally got their swing back and now they can’t play… It was perfect timing.

The Phillies still have their momentum people… They’re leading 3-1 in the World Series and they’re tied 2-2 in a game which they’re basically getting a fresh start with. Add on top of that the fact that in most of the games so far, all of their scoring has coming earlier in the game right out of the gate… That they’ve got 3 more outs than the Rays… That they’ll most likely have Madsen and then Lidge on the mound.. While still having home field advantage on what will be a cold evening… How could this possibly be a bad thing?

Perspective people… Perspective. We couldn’t ask for a better spot to be in… So stop your balking and whining and let’s give out team what they need.

132. O'Neill

October 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean I got a bad feeling! I don’t think the Phils are gonna pull this off! D’ya understand what I’m sayin’ to you?

133. Banger

May 28, 2009 at 7:08 am

what about 2009 ? a repeat what will keep philly from repeating ?

134. Chalene

May 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Haha! Thanks for the good read