Commentary: While Utley's Legend Grows, Don't Worry – Phillies Nation
Posts

Commentary: While Utley's Legend Grows, Don't Worry

All our fears were confirmed yesterday when we found out Chase Utley has to undergo surgery to repair his right hip.

It seems sometime in May, around the time the New York Times lauded Utley for his spectacular, all-effort play, Utley suffered the injury. We can only speculate that, but it’s very possible, as Utley’s game dwindled a bit from there. And we know Utley isn’t really a .290 hitter. Up until mid May, Utley was far and away baseball’s best offensive player, en route to a season rivaling Alex Rodriguez’s MVP campaign one year before.

What amazes me, and should amaze everyone, is the thought that Utley suffered the injury in May. Imagine the team’s best player performing on a bad hip for more than half a season. And imagine that player still performing at a sold level. Moreover, look back at the plays Utley made throughout the season. You’re telling me a guy with a bad hip did all that?

I could continue about this, but in the spirit of Utley, I’ll stop now. He knows he’s appreciated.

Ruben Amaro Jr. made a blunt point yesterday:

“You don’t necessarily replace an Utley.”

Touche. Don’t look for an Orlando Hudson to come in. Instead, you might see a veteran infielder come in to take some snaps. More likely, you’ll see Jason Donald on opening day. Which is fine with me — Donald has proven himself at the grueling AA level, and he blew past competition in the Arizona Fall League. He can hit, and he’ll want to show that. In fact, this all could be great news for the Phils — if Donald performs well, once Utley returns, Donald becomes a possible trading chip worth a Phil Hughes or any other overblown prospect fed from the big markets.

Tad Iguchi? Maybe, but not as a starter. He might be good for the occasional start, but he’s no everyday player. In 2007 he was a necessity. Now, with a few months to go and some experiments to be had, Iguchi isn’t needed at all.

Take out of the Utley surgery that the guy was hurt and he should be fine next season. Even if he returns in July, I wouldn’t mind. He’s the franchise, a player who is still signed on for another couple years. And, as cream, we have our title. There’s no need to rush him through. Now is the time to see the forest.

1. Ari

November 21, 2008 at 11:10 am

I only hope that playing on a bad hip for 5 months didn’t permanently injure him.

2. Georgie

November 21, 2008 at 11:31 am

CSN reported this am that Utley was having problems with his hip BEFORE spring training last year, then experienced more pain during ST, but he doesn’t remember a specific time of the injury, just seems it’s a progressive and nagging type of thing. They are saying arthroscopic surgery, but 4-6 months seems like a long recovery for that, I had a knee replacement on a VERY messed up joint, at an older age than Utley, and my recovery wasn’t anywhere near that long. Granted, I wasn’t playing baseball on it, but I just question the severity of this problem, given that lengthy of a recovery time.

3. Mazinman

November 21, 2008 at 11:35 am

I totally agree with you. Can you imagine the pain going through his head every time he made one of those fantastic, game saving defensive plays in the post season? Schilling got a lot of press because of the visual impact of the bloody sock but I’d argue what Utley did was far more heroic considering he had to be out there every single day. Even more impressive to me, even with a bad hip he is still the best second baseman in baseball.

What is more endearing about Utley is also what worries me the most about him, the fact that he is a true gamer who will be out there for his team no matter how he feels. While I would certainly LOVE to see Utley out there on Opening Day and recieving his ring along with the others (whenever that happens) the Phillies need to make sure he rests all that he can. Get a good doctor who will move on the side of caution and can tell when his patient is being honest when he says he is alright.

I can live with June as long as we resign Pat or get a decent replacement for him. Heck we always start slow anyway.

4. ryan

November 21, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Chase “F#+%ing” Utley, YOU ARE THE MAN!

5. Maverick

November 21, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Come on guys your giving Utley to much credit. He doesn’t feel a thing out there. They juice him up with pain killers before every game.

He feels it after the game when that shit wears off.

6. Chuck P

November 21, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Once again, a great point made… by the way, this web site is the greatest thing since bobble head dolls… this could turn out very well in the long run, assuming this situation is handled properly (I believe that means not turing to a stop gap like Iguchi)… with Utley on the shelf, the Phillies have an opportunity in the early part of the season to game test one of their high prospects; if he does well, it will increase his trade value or put pressure on the Phillies to find a spot for him (3B or LF). If he does well… I’m not sure what Donald is doing right now but you have to believe that, as a minor leaguer, he’s going to be more focused in the offseason than most veterans (his job really depends on it)… to that end, he could have a fast start. If this were midseason, I would approach this situation differently (look for a proven commodity) but I’m willing to take a risk in the early months.

7. Memphis

November 21, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Speaking of seeing the forest, this from Neyer today:

• I’m sorry, Phillies fans. I know it’s been a fantastic two-year run, but it’s worth remembering that if the Phillies had won two fewer games in 2007 and four fewer in 2008, they’d have missed the playoffs completely in both seasons. Today, with the news that they might be without their best player for two months next season — not to mention the looming hole in left field and the inevitable slide of Brad Lidge — I find it impossible to see the 2009 Phillies as anything but a second-place team.

I tend to agree with him; if we want to get back to the playoffs, we’ll need to address these downside risks somehow (especially LF). It’s time to get better if we want October baseball in ’09. The potential Utley absence makes it more important not to just maintain the status quo. Now we’re looking at replacing Burrell’s production and 2 months of Utley just to maintain where we were. Get busy living or get busy dying. Will we see Donald at 2B opening day?

8. timb

November 21, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Tim, I think you are not giving Tad Iguchi enough credit. He came in and replaced Utley beautifully 2 years ago, but had an off year last year due to a nagging shoulder injury. I think if he’s healthy, he’s the perfect band-aid this team needs until Utley is back to form.

I like Donald too, and I think he’ll be a productive player in the MLB soon, but I feel more comfortable with a healthy Iguchi starting at 2nd in 2009.

9. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 12:47 pm

about the Neyer article:

How are we EVER going replace a .250 hitter that plays a whole 6-7 innings a night??????

10. Tim Malcolm

November 21, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I don’t buy nothing of what Neyer is pushing. I’ll take his logic on: If the Phillies won four more games in 2006 they would’ve made the playoffs. And if they would’ve won two more games in 2005 they would’ve made the playoffs.

Seriously, Rob is ludicrous.

Meanwhile, one thing I’ve learned is to never predict far into the future. Remember before 2008 when everyone picked the Braves to win the division? The Braves! Not one “expert” had us winning the World Series. And I even had the Phils in third place.

It’s a LOOOONG offseason and even longer season. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves and say the Phils are suddenly a second place team. I see a team that won the division two years in a row.

Geez.

11. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Hamels, Myers, Moyer, Blanton, Happ (carrasco, kendrick, etc..) … we’ll make the playoffs again, trust me

12. Bruce

November 21, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Hey Don, are you describing the same player who has averaged 31 HRs, 99 RBIs, 100+ walks offensively? The same one who committed only 2 errors and had 12 assists in LF? It certainly would be difficult to replace someone like that.

13. Greg B

November 21, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Well, Rob Neyer, if it wasn’t for those 3 games in the 2004 ALCS and those three in the 2007 ALCS, the Red Sox would still be cursed. What a F*$&ing moron. I can’t believe he gets paid to write.

14. Greg B

November 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

But… what the hell, I support picking the METS as the odds on favorite to win the division AGAIN.

15. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 1:44 pm

If I got to less fly balls than the average LF, i’d have only a few errors too…

I’ve said all sesaon long the most consistent thing about Pat Burrell is his inconsistency.. he does not deserve anything close to the amount of money he makes.. he’s good for some HomeRuns here and there.. and did a nice job of working the count all season, but since we’re looking into it

Pat Burrell Career Averages (total games/ 162 = 8.06, so 8 full seasons)
    .257 average, 31 HRs, 103 RBIs, 82 Runs, 146 Hits, 159 Ks,

Pretty Good averages, actually, very good averages.. but his production will be slipping, and he’s a DH waiting to happen… I think a 20/2 or 24/2 type contract is a good idea, anything more than that gets risky..

I have to admit too, I’m really surprised that his averages are so impressive… it just shows you how HOT he gets when he’s on.. shame he can’t do it all the time

16. ant

November 21, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Well now the mets are scareing me . what happen to there G.M. today it is reported they are getting putz at 5 million to close and looking to use 4 million for broccali or springer and add Cruz . Instead of adding one peice at 12 or 13 million they get three arms in the pen for less money and they are the front runners for Ibanez. The brave even if they get Peavy don’t see them now but in the furture.

17. Memphis

November 21, 2008 at 1:53 pm

OK, long off-season, long season, gotcha, but do we honestly think we are the favorites IF we (1) don’t replace Burrell or get similar production from LF, (2) don’t upgrade the rotation (with Moyer, if re-signed, likely to regress), (3) go without Utley for up to 2 months, (4) have any drop-off from the bullpen?

Love the optimism. Geez is right. Certainly we will contend, but our chances of finishing ahead of the Mets cannot be as good, and I think that’s all Neyer is really saying. We could not have finished much stronger the last 2 years, but we have to recognize we benefited from one epic collapse and another bullpen-meltdown semi-collapse to win the division in the last week of the season. Are we counting on that again? If so, I guess we don’t need to address anything.

18. Chuck P

November 21, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Don, I’m not a Burrell guy but you need someone that brings what he brings to the table and in the post-steroid era, it is very difficult to replace a 30HR, 100 RBI guy (which is why we’re not having much luck this offseason). The reason he is able to play the field and hasn’t been forced to DH is his arm and the short porch in left… you can hide him out in left field and say what you want, the guy has a cannon. Howard is going to see ZERO pitches if we don’t have someone with the “lightning in a bottle” potential behind him. We do have holes to fill… what Neyer failed to mention is that we have a strong starting rotation and a ridiculous bullpen… if that holds true, we’ll be just fine (even without Utley for a month).

19. ant

November 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

When you look at pat’s average it’s a mute point when he is walking 100 times and driving in 100 runs with 30 plus hr, and protecting Howard. But three years at big dollars is too much for a player who is so bad in the outfield he is only playing 6-7 innings,between his speed and outfield play we must look to trade or the farm for a replacement.

20. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Yea, honestly there is no right or wrong answer about the Burrell situation… you love his production, and protection behind Howard. BUT #1, I think Werth can hit 30HR and around 100 RBIs from the #5 spot if he plays everyday. and #2.. if Burrell gets more years and money from another team, you have to let him walk because in a few years it will be a better move.

Just the same way we didn’t want to let Rowand walk.. if someone else is willing to overpay, you just have to let them, and then replace that guy as best you can, as quick as you can. With MULTIPLE OF prospects looking to break through in the next 2 years, you just have to have faith in your scouting department that what they see in the farm will translate to the pros..

21. Eb

November 21, 2008 at 2:17 pm

every year they say that the Muts are good, and they keep choking

22. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 2:36 pm

If I was a Muts fan, I’d walk my fat ass into oncoming traffic

23. Bruce

November 21, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Don~ You’re putting a lot of faith in Werth as an everyday player. True, he received more playing time in the second half of the season and to his credit his overall performance helped rather hindered the team. However, the reason for being platooned in the past hasn’t gone away. Being a righthanded hitter, he still has problems with RIGHThanded pitchers. This past season he hit .255 (67 hits in 263 ABs) against righties which nearly matched his career BA of .251. He continues to accumulate a high number of strike outs (119 Ks in 418 ABs in 2008) adding to his career totals of 308 Ks in just 961 ABs; averaging near 1 in 3 ABs. If he’s another Ryan Howard, I can ignore that particular stat.
    Werth will probably be given the chance to play everyday next season and the nagging doubts about him will be answered…one way or the other.

24. ant

November 21, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I hope the phillies don’t have as much faith as don m to think werth is a thirty hr, 100 rbi guy is putting the whole season on the line. I still feel he will struggle against right handed pitching and he has to do it for more than one season to convince me. 255 agaist rh. without burrell protection will be a disaster, The biggest problem is the scouting hasn;t been able to get a good outfielder in years. even burrell isn’t really a outfielder and remember he was the first overall pick in the draft that year.

25. Richie

November 21, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Out of curiousity, do we get any draft picks/sandwich picks if burrell signs elsewhere?

26. Don M

November 21, 2008 at 4:08 pm

But what we do know about Werth is the he is Above Average in Speed – defense, base running/stealing, has a very strong arm, and has very good power..

I am counting on him to get better against RHP the more he sees them though, but .250 against RHP isn’t bad at all, its not great, but its not bad.. its “average”.. meanwhile, he led all of Major League Baseball in HRs vs. LHP, and while that may not be a great stat, its a randomly impressive

Burrell vs. RHP in his career, .251 avg.. with a HR every 19 at-bats, and a K every 3.48 at-bats, OBP = .353%

Werth vs RHP in his career, .251 avg.. with a HR every 34 at-bats, and a K every 3.12 at-bats, OBP= .347%

So I definitely know that Burrell’s offense will be very tough to match, or replace, but the other aspects of the game, defense, base running, etc.. are also part of the equation.. If Burrell gets replaced in the 6th-7th now.. what happens in 3 years? Get him 3 at-bats and then get him out of there ASAP?? I just think that Burrell is a huge risk to re-sign, and Werth brings heart and hustle, the same way that Vic and Utley do.. which doesn’t show up in stats.. its a tough call what to do with Burrell and how to replace those numbers

27. psujoe

November 21, 2008 at 5:16 pm

I was amazed at just how little power Burrell has against lefties. Only 7 HR’s in 154 AB’s. heck, Victorino had 9 in 177. that said, Werth hitting behind Howard against lefties would be fine. Were Burrell’s power really helped was against righties. Ibanez would be a downgrade power wise against righties, how much I’m not sure because CBP is such a short porch. I still prefer Dye, but looking at these numbers if we can get Ibanez for 8 per for 2 or 3 I’d take that over Pat for 12 per.

28. ant

November 21, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Don M what you are not thinking of is right handed pitchers will walk howard with werth behind him. He might be better but no guarantees he repeats last years numbers he isn’t in burrell class overall with the walks, hr . Burrell is asking for too much but we can’t bank on Werth being the answer to help howard. the phillies I believe must get a right hand bat through trades or go after bradley in F.A. he might be a head case but he can hit and with jenkins and stairs and dobbs to spell him his number of games won’t hurt as much if he signs for the 8 million dollars range people think.

November 22, 2008 at 2:37 am

With Utley missing a month (or two), the need for a right handed batter is just too big to go with the platoon option. We need either to resign Burrell, or get a guy like Dye. I always said that pitching should be No.1 priority for 2009, but this changes things considerably… Damn, I do NOT want to be in the GM’s shoes

30. RichieAllen

November 22, 2008 at 2:53 pm

I think Neyer is short for NAYSAYER……….Just another writer who ran out of ideas….(.that..if ,if,if…bullshit! )

I agree with Manny above,The left field situation just changed.
    Now if we are to stay competetive we need some firepower from left not stopgap platooning..I think we need someone BETTER than Burrell.

Even if we have to dip into our prospects..when are we going to have a team core like this again?Open up the wallet for god’s sake too!

At least sign Moyer quick.Everybody’s assuming he is a lock but …I dont see him signed yet either.

31. ant

November 22, 2008 at 3:34 pm

A little off the subject but utley injury makes me think. last night marbury refuse to play. He is making millions and they were shorthanded and he said no. Utley played in pain to help his team. It is crazy how some guys will do anything to win and others just plain think nomatter what I do they have to pay me and screw them. I am so much in the opinion that contracts should be not guaranteed. you must make the team each year. it would stop some of this bull s$$ that goes on. can you imagine paying a guy 15 million dollars and he says I am not playing and you can’t fire him,

32. NJ

November 22, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Come on ant don’t you think Marbury deserves to act like he has, being left out for the beginning of the season is just inexcusable because theres a guy with the right attitude, a guy who works just as hard as the guy pulling 2 jobs to support his family, a guy who every day shines as a mentor for future generations. Haven’t Marbury, TO, Chad ‘Ocho Cinco’ Johnson, Larry Johnson, Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds all shined like Wayne Gretsky, Michael Jordan, Ted Williams and Hank Aaron playing their sport with humilty, a fundemental respect for the game. Haven’t those names all played without making an issue of their paychecks only making an issue because their teams were paying them at an insultingly low rate for their talents…

Are we sure Chase Utley isn’t the one with the bad attitude? I mean playing injured witout even admiting it because you revere the game and it’s fans and feel your paygrade and status carries responsibility… That’s just not something you want to be teaching your kids is it… We salute you Stephon Marbury, you are a true role model to us all.

33. Mike

November 22, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Milton Bradley is a bad idea. He had that ACL injury in 2007, and yeah, he got through last year, but he played DH last year – who knows how his knees would hold up in the outfield?

I’d been saying that we need to sign a guy like Gabe Kapler. He’s perfect for platooning: according to Braves.scouts.com, “Known as a superb defensive player, Kapler was used primarily as a platoon player in right field with Trot Nixon while playing for Boston, facing left-handed pitchers.” My reasoning was that Kapler doesn’t have great power numbers – certainly not in Burrell’s league – but he started 43 games and he hit .301 with eight home runs and 38 RBI, according to the Milwaulkee Journal-Sentinel. I thought we certainly could platoon him with Jenkins, because as a starter, he hit .312 with 6 HR, 28 RBI, an OBP of .348 and slugged .532. I mean, I figured combined with Jenkins it would be okay – in 2007 with Milwaulkee, Jenkins started 109 games and hit .250 with 18 HR, 57 RBI, an OBP of .310 and slugged .453.

G AB H BA HR RBI BB SO OBP SLG OPS
    Jenkins* 43 400 100 .250 18 57 27 109 .310 .453 .763
    Kapler 109 173 54 .312 6 28 9 29 .348 .532 .873

Combined 152 573 154 .268 24 85 45 138 .330 .473 .803
    Burrell* 154 534 133 .249 32 84 108 135 .365 .502 .867

*2007 statistics
    **as a starter only

So with the combined platoon of Jenkins and Kapler, we have an improved average, comparable on-base percentages and slugging percentages, and comparable RBI statistics. The only huge statstical discrepancy we’d see is a lot fewer walks (which is why Burrell had a little less than 40 fewer at-bats – walks don’t go into the book as official at bats; they’re counted under plate appearances instead). But given that the platoon of Jenkins and Kapler would combine to strike out just about as many times as Burrell did last season, it isn’t like we’d be getting a lot of unproductive outs – you never know with a ground ball because someone is more likely to reach base on an error than will someone reach base when the catcher drop strike three.

Burrell did have a good throwing arm, but Kapler has been known for “a superb defensive player” by that scouts.com website.

I know this is a bit of a reach because Jenkins didn’t have a great season in 2008, but he only started 17 games after the All-Star break. He had a much, MUCH better average afterward (.237 to .273) – a rough first half may have been his adjusting to a change of scenery.

What DOES concern me is his tearing his latissimus dorsi, which he did on a throw towards home, according to the Milwaulkee Sentinel-Journal, which is why he missed the last half of September. That worries me a lot, because that’s the muscle in the back which connects to one’s scapula and rotator cuff and apparently it plays an integral role in throwing.

The good news is that Chad Cordero had an acute tear last season and his rehab was expected to last 4-to-6 weeks, and what actually ended his season was his labrum. Moreover, Cordero was trying to make it back for the season, so chances are that he rushed his rehab. Okay, I’m still worried about that, but it’s better than mortgaging our future for Jermaine Dye. And besides, Kapler came back from a torn Achilles in June of 2006 after he tore it late September of 2005. Hopefully if his throwing is affected, his range will still make up for it. Hopefully. But even if not, I think the hitting speaks for itself.

34. Johnny Snowden

November 22, 2008 at 5:12 pm

The thing i dont get about football:

two things-
    first, despite this being the most miserable time of the year for me. I still think these ridiculous trade rumors, injury contingency debates and overall fans playing GM (myself included) is a hell of a lot more exciting than a 44 over-juiced think necked retards playing grab-ass in spandex.

and secondly … in terms of TO … sure the eagles tried a contractual slight of hand when he was here (in terms of his final year) but … he knew the contract … no one forced him to sign. No one said “you won’t be playing 16 games this year if you don’t sign it” … he knew he would get less money the second and third years of those contract … unless my suspicions are true and the guy can’t read … negating all this assuming he had no idea what his contract actually was.

35. Johnny Snowden

November 22, 2008 at 5:23 pm

i don’t know. I’m never going to say that a guy isn’t playing to what I think he’s worth just because regardless of what anyone thinks of Pat Burrell, he can still hit a baseball better than I can, so what do I know?

But I also don’t have pity for these guys and their contract whining. Either sign what ur offered or hold out for a better deal, but don’t complain about the contract you already have.

Now about Utley, I have nothing but the utmost respect for a guy with his kind of dedication. Does that mean that I hold him to a higher standard that Manny? Absolutely not.

36. NJ

November 22, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Unfortunately the actions of the Drew Rosenhaus’s and Scott ‘Ryan Mariano Madson’ Boras’s carry more weight than the Tom Brady’s and the Chase Utley’s. Brian Westbrook’s off-season deal shouldn’t be forgotten, he warranted a raise and instead of drawing attention to himself and using the media as a tool to give him the upper like some, his people sat at the negotiating table and worked out a deal like the integrity of the team around him mattered more than his bragging rights.

That’s the reason I wouldn’t want Milton Bradley, the Phillies inegrity needs to be kept in tact if their going to stay at the top and adding a player who’s actions show he thinks the game owes his something could really tear the teams direction apart. I’m not sure Gabe Kapler’s not on borrowed time but he’s the right kind of guy to have around if you need character, we need to add more guys who revere the game not ones that think it owes them fame fortune without dedicating themselves to it

37. clktwr14

November 22, 2008 at 6:14 pm

People, Chase Utley’s heart is bigger then what we really know, he plays hard to win and even hurt me played hard and won, Marbury, he plays a game that involves a big orange ball, that goes into a bigger red hoop, what is athletic about that, but this is a baseball site and a Phillies Baseball Blog, so here we go Manny Ramirez a crybaby, who beats up sixty year old travel sect., rolls around in left field looking like a reject from any reggae video, sat inside the Green Monster on his cell phone and thinks he deserves more money then God, next Milton Bradley, argues with the first base ump and injuries himself and ruins his teams chances to make the playoffs, Jermaine Dye, Raul Ibanez, Maggilo Orndonez three prime examples of the American League pitchers being worked until their arms are nothing but wet noodles, throwing junk pitches, for them to put into the bleechers,so anyone who thinks we should replace Pat with any of them should be locked into a room with Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid and shipped off to Ford Field and watch the Lions play.

Now, Chase Utley needs surgrey on his hip, well who should the Phils use until he returns Tim says Tad Iguhici shouldn’t be tha answer well I say he played every day for the White Sox, and won there, why not here until Uts comes back, Felix needs lower back surgery but should be back for the start of the season, but if he isn’t ready to go , we will need Bruntlett there at third since everyone here is using Dobbs in left, but remember, Pat Burrell played third in College the only reason he was moved to left, because there was this other third baseman here named Scott Rolen, now I posse a question why not move Burrell back to third like they should have done after they traded Rolen and obtain another, younger left feilder.

38. RichieAllen

November 22, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I think the days of a quick footed Burrell at 3rd base are over..he’s even too slow to play left for the last 3 innings.

39. ant

November 22, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Excuse me but you really didn’t say what is athletic about bb. you are not really serious. Basketball players are the best athlete in the world,

40. clktwr14

November 22, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Basketball players are not the most athletic players in the world, let’s see them try and put a ball into a a net with some one standing in front of it or if a defender is allowed to touch the ball as it is coming down into the net, anybody can play basketball,it takes real athletes to play baseball, hockey, soccer or even football. Basketball is like Feastivous.

41. ant

November 23, 2008 at 9:46 am

clktwr14 that is the most stupid remarks ever posted on this site, Hockey isn’t even a sport. Soccer is so stupid why would any one who likes sport even mention it. Basketball player are the most condition athletes in the world. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do, but there are guys who are in the sport who like stairs just do that .Basketball, try running up and down the court playing defense, shooting rebounding, in hockey if you fight you can play, remember schultz. Dumbest non sport in the world. the only reason people like it is it mostly white guys. I am white and hated it when I went three times I tried it stinks.

42. NJ

November 23, 2008 at 10:22 am

No offense meant here but which of you is the chicken and which is the egg?

You can’t compare the physical and mental skillsets of sports like Baseball and Basketball or even hockey throw them in a pot of water and see who rises to the top… Berrate ‘sports’ like handball sure but trying to compare the sports like your doing is just silly.

43. Mark

November 23, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Guys, I propose the following; Yes — Jason Donald gets first shot at 2nd base ’til Utley returns, but to have Iguchi available is one great insurance policy should Donald falter at MLB level. If he makes it, he’s great trade bait when Utley returns and Iguchi is another pinch-hitting hand and/or late inning defensive replacement. Not a high price tag either.

Iguchi, by his Aug. 2007 play, deserves to be signed for 2009. And who knows, maybe then they can get him working on playing 3rd base.

44. ant

November 23, 2008 at 1:09 pm

NJ just can’t believe people downplay the kind of athlete you have to be to play basketball.

45. NJ

November 23, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Getting Iguchi would be a longshot, he’s said he wants to start and would return to Japan and it’ll be unlikely he’ll re-signs for a months work. Insurance policies on a 25 man roster is virtually impossible plus you’ve got to trust the guys your sending out can do the job, there’s nothing to think Donald can’t do the job at 2nd otherwise teams desperate for a shortstop wouldn’t be just hoping we make this guy available.

We give Donald two weeks and then go to plan B and we’ve just trashed his value and future in Philly, good teams have spotted players with far less offensive value than Donald. Unfortunately Iguchi isn’t the Aug ’07 Iguchi otherwise no-one much less San Diego would have let him walk, remember he was here for the play-off push and rode the bench.

Donald and Dobbs, spotting with Eric Bruntlett and hopefully Donald seeing some time at third… The only trouble were in is the numbers game when Utley and Feliz are added back to the roster. (unless the rest of the offense is tanking it and their made scapegoats)

46. clktwr14

November 24, 2008 at 9:36 pm

ant, sorry but basketball, is a game played by kids on the school yards, just look around anybody can play it, but a true athlete needs to play hockey , frist thing you need to learn is keeping you’re balance on skates as people are trying to knock you on your @$$, and soccer the pitch is bigger then any basketball court and the players run up and down it for at most times 45 minutes straight, and if you get hurt unless you’re bleeding they don’t stop, until the ball is out of play, so tell me basketball players do that, no they don’t cause so as Kobe, Lebron, Arenas, or even AI hits the floor the refs blow the whistle to stop play, and I haven’t even touch on the so-called second tier sports like Lacrosse, or Rugby.

So ant, until you open you’re mind and watch this sports with a true respect don’t attack them.

Now, back to Phillies baseball, did they not send Tad Iguchi down to Lehigh Valley a couple of weeks ago did he accept the assignment or didn’t he?

47. Иван Павлюченко

May 31, 2009 at 7:59 am

Люблю сообщения в таком духе! Спасибо вам огромное 🙂

48. LigAmumpiff

October 20, 2009 at 2:46 am

Hello…

I wanted to let you know about truly an amazing opportunity. The Company is called [B][URL=http://gogo20.com/bigmoney]GoGo20[/URL][/B].

[url=http://www.gogo20.com/bigmoney][img]http://bigmoneytactics.com/images/gogo20banner.jpg[/img][/url]

Its a brand new network marketing company that just launched less than 4-weeks ago. Why is it so special? It was designed with the goal in mind to make 100,000 people financially independant in this struggling economy. They made it ridiculously cheap, so everyone could afford it. Also, you get access to $1,000’s in discounts/coupons to the following.

-Food
    -Medicine
    -Shopping
    -Free Software
    -PLR Material (for re-sell)
    -Movies
    -Travel
    -Hotel
    -Etc.

Ok, so how much does it cost right?
    Not $100 dollars. Not even $50. Just… [U]$20 bucks! [/u]

That’s why it’s exploding and everyone trying it is successful. You only need 2 other people to try it, and its free, and your in profit as soon as they sign up 2 people to try. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Only $20 bucks.

For the cost of a large pizza and soda… you have the opportunity in creating an incredible passive residual income stream, and saving tons of money in discounts. Its a no-brainer. Try it for a 1 month, and see.

-Everyone needs it.
    -Everyone can afford it.
    -Everyone’s trying it.
    -Everyone’s a Winner!

Oh, and did I mention… Its International and… [U][B]PAYS WEEKLY![/B][/U]

Click on the link below and watch the 2 short videos. The compensation plan is absolutely amazing.

This is the best home based business opportunity out there, and its only $20.

Check It Out…

[URL=http://www.gogo20.com/bigmoney]GoGo20[url=http://www.gogo20.com/bigmoney]

[img]http://bigmoneytactics.com/images/gogo20join.jpg[/img][/url]

Ps. I covered my initial investment ($20 bucks, lol) in 2 days. 3rd day I was in profit from their sign-ups.

Pss. In case your wondering, there’s also NO cancellation fee. So give it a try, you got nothing to lose but an exploding opportunity to create an additional weekly paying income stream!

49. Inge Kangleon

January 23, 2010 at 8:41 am

A pal encoraged me to look at this post, brill post, interesting read… keep up the cool work!

50. Lucille Lunday

June 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Hi, Whats up? Thanks for this great information. I hope I can find some help from your blog as I learn how to earn extra money at home.