100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 88 – Tommy Greene

Tommy Greene
Starting Pitcher

Career w/Phillies:
580.1 IP / 36-22 / 4.01 ERA / 429 K

The player to be named later in the 1990 Dale Murphy trade, Greene had two spectacular seasons with the Phillies, amongst a few other mostly-hurt seasons. He arrived in 1990 and performed okay, but came alive in an inspired 1991, going 13-7 with a 3.38 ERA, throwing a no-hitter in Montreal. After a injury-hampered 1992, Greene returned to lead the 1993 staff with a 16-4 record and 3.42 ERA, finishing sixth in Cy Young voting. Sadly, he never lived up to his 1993 form again because of injuries, and retired in 1997 at age 30.

Comment: Should Greene be on the list? I say so, because he anchored the 1993 rotation while really having a nice career with the Phils. Sure, he got hurt a lot, but when he pitched, he was pretty good.

1. Fire

December 29, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Agreed. I loved this guy. That 16-4 season was unbelievable. A star that faded before his time due to injuries… good pick.

2. Tom G

December 29, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Certainly the list has to inlcude the quality of Tommy Greene…he had the STUFF…he only was reduced due to injuries. This is a good position for Tommy!

3. Justin

December 29, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Any ideas who the top 5 of all time will be? I’m thinking Ed Delahanty, Chuck Klein, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, and his whiteness, but possibly Robin Roberts or Tugger thrown up top.

4. Robert K.

December 29, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I did not consider “Tee the Greene” for this list, just because he wasn’t around very long. However, he probably should be on just for the no-hitter he threw. I’m thinking if Tommy made it then Terry Mullholland can’t be too far behind.

5. MadSon

December 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm

The only thing I didn’t like about Tommy (whom I loved) was the fact that his 91 season was the reason the Phillies gave up on DeJesus.

6. Greg V.

December 29, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I predict Terry Mullholland comes next.

I liked Greene. He threw a great game when he was on.

7. ryan

December 30, 2008 at 1:10 am

man, i loved that guy when i was younger. it is amazing to me how much i really love all of the guys from the 1993 team. it still kills me that they didn’t finish that season off.

8. Chuck P

December 30, 2008 at 11:47 am

A great guy… still lives in the area and coaches youth baseball. Deserves to be on the list. It’s a shame he was always injured because he had a lot of potential…