100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 65 – Willie Jones

Willie Jones
Third Baseman

Career w/Phillies: .258 AVG / 180 HR / 753 RBI / 39 SB

Willie “Puddin’ Head” Jones. Yes, the best nickname in Phillies history – Jones got the name from a popular 1930s song, “‘Wooden Head, Puddin’ Head Jones.” Well, that stinks. Still, Jones was a pretty solid offensive popular, and helped the Whiz Kids as a 24-year-old, scoring 100 runs for the only time in his career and reaching a career-high 163 hits and 25 home runs. Because of his 13-year tenure with the Phillies, Jones ranks 15th in team history in hits and 10th in home runs, though he’ll soon be surpassed by Ryan Howard, who is just three behind him. He was also a great clutch hitter, but most of all, he was a fantastic glove. He led third basemen in fielding percentage seven consecutive years, and is among all-time leaders in putouts.

Comment: I could probably rank Jones in the top 50, but his offense was merely average, taking some of the shine off his superb defense. I will say that with the listing of Jones, we’re staring to enter solid territory.

January 22, 2009 at 10:30 am

Tim, is this (Puddin’ Head) the one with the greatest nickname? haha

2. Woody Woodland

February 18, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Willie Jones was my favorite player when I was a kid on Long Island. I met him twice at Ebbets Field and he was very nice to me. I was happy to come across this information. Thank you for remembering a good player and a good man.

3. whizkidfanatic

March 1, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Pud was a real character. It was said of him,”… he liked to have a good time and he had plenty of them…”. Charming, popular and easygoing off the field, on it he was quick as a cat at third and a tough out at the plate. Robin Roberts, who has seen them all, is on record saying Puddinhead was second only to Brooks Robinson among third baseman. This is enough to convince me he should be ranked higher than this.

4. Al Hamblen

September 13, 2009 at 12:06 am

Willie played in my hometown for the Terre Haute (Indiana) Phillies prior to going to the majors. A great player at 3rd.

5. Courtney

December 20, 2009 at 9:09 pm

This is my grandpa’s brother… he said he was amazing! i wish i was born then! The nickname came from his mama…. my gramps is lil pud!

6. Eddie Mayo

January 28, 2010 at 11:36 am

My Dad, Eddie Mayo, coached third base for the Phillies ’52-’54, and as a teenager I got to live a dream, working out every day as a scrubeenie infielder with the Phillies. I was treated wonderfully by Granny Hamner, Robin Roberts, Steve Ridzik — and particularly by Willie Jones. Willie gave me one of his gloves, and I used it for the rest of my baseball “career”, such as it was. I play now for a vintage baseball team in Michigan, and I chose “Puddin’ Head” as my team nickname. I remember Willie as others have described him — easy-going, friendly, genuine, great sense of humor. And I used to love watching him come up in clutch situations — and watching him play, my memory tells me, error-less ball at the hot corner.

7. blackhat forum

June 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love your website! did you create this yourself or did you outsource it? Im looking for a blog design thats similar so thats the only reason I’m asking. Either way keep up the nice work I was impressed 🙂