News

Adam Eaton Gives Exit Interview

Adam Eaton spoke to Scott Lauber Friday after being released. He has quotes posted, and they’re, of course, genuine Eaton. Here are the best:

On if he’s upset that it happened …

“I don’t think upset is the right word. Underachieve? Yeah. I wasn’t as healthy as I’d like to be. That’s been my focus this spring, to be healthy so I can do what I’m able to do. Anytime you’re weighing [shoulder] surgery options in the offseason before the second year of a contract – and maybe I should have done it, maybe that would have been the best-case scenario – but I feel fine now.”

On why he thinks he was released …

“This day in age, it’s what have you done for me lately. Regardless of leading the team in quality starts until the All-Star break, two starts later, three starts later, I’m cast off in the bullpen. Granted, there were a lot of horrible games in there, but there were some good ones, too.”

On deciding not to join the Florida Instructional League during the postseason …

“I weighed my decision very carefully before I was given the opportunity. I was not going to make the playoff roster, obviously. I haven’t pitched in the big leagues since whenever, July. And they say, ‘Well, go down and get in shape.’ Give me a [expletive] break. What do you want me to say? You want me to swallow another pill? For what? Waste two weeks down here where I can go spend two weeks with my family? Yeah, sure, I’ll go up there for the World Series. Hey, I’m up on the float. ‘Boo, [expletive] you.’ Great. Would that be any fun for anybody? No. In that regard, not sharing it with my teammates. But it was nice to see them on TV. They’re world [bleeping] champs.”

1. Griffin

February 28, 2009 at 10:04 am

Hey Adam, go {bleep} yourself.

2. Greg V.

February 28, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hey Eaton! Now do ya care?

3. Acturbo

February 28, 2009 at 10:15 am

Adam Eaton is a class act and a great pitcher, no clue why anyone would have even thought to get rid of him.

4. Good Night Joe Carter

February 28, 2009 at 10:29 am

Wait…was that #27 on the Greatest Phillies list?

5. Georgie

February 28, 2009 at 10:33 am

He is right about being in the parade though, it would have put a damper on the whole day, probably would have gotten all kinds of things thrown at him, and not just verbally.

6. Mike W.

February 28, 2009 at 10:37 am

Nah, that day was filled with such positive energy, there woulda been nothing but love for the Eat man.

7. Don M

February 28, 2009 at 11:28 am

He’s a scumbag… they overpaid GREATLY for you to do nothing to help this team win ballgames.. and instead of saying how you regret you didn’t live up t your end of the bargain, you take little jabs at the team on your way out the door.

Stay Classy, Adam!

8. Jamie

February 28, 2009 at 11:43 am

Don, you hit it on the head. He was paid (and still will be) an extremely ridiculous amount of money – more than all of us will ever make in our careers put together – and for what? He should have been ducking on his way out of town rather than running his suck at the very people who provided him with his cash have. Classy indeed.

9. rhy

February 28, 2009 at 11:58 am

Good riddance, Adam Eaton. We no longer have the worst starting pitching the the league on our roster.

10. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

February 28, 2009 at 12:08 pm

This was one of the greatest moves ever for me as a Phillies Phan. Not because I like or dislike Eaton, but because the Phillies are eaton the last year on the contract. Ive been waiting for this organization to do something like this for years. Im glad we can finally be in a position to admit a mistake and pay for it and move on. This is not a “small market team.” We are finally acting like one of the largest single market teams in the sport. Now if they would only cut ties with those s@#t holes at comcast, life for me as a Phan will be complete.

11. BurrGundy

February 28, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Here is a guy –Adam Eaton — who will make $24 million for stinking out the place and eating up salary. He has the nerve to cry and act bitter in an interview. This is what becomes of a lot of athletes — spoiled rotten prima donnas. This guy will make in three years what more than a dozen teachers will make in their careers. I should have developed a good knuckleball when I was young.

12. chitown phillyfan

February 28, 2009 at 12:13 pm

OK, after reading the whole interview, he’s really not a bad guy. He’s just a bad pitcher that is way overpaid. And in this recession, its all the more frustrating to see great compensation for poor performance. More than anything, its a shame like Tim has mentioned in an earlier post that he could not at least be a stable #5 starter that could eat up some innings. But I guess like the games themselves, you win some and you lose some…

13. the lopez!

February 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm

adam eaton was paid great money and underproduced.
    if given an opportunity to go to fla instructional league to improve and perhaps earn the millions wasted on him he should have thanked them kindly and hopped the first plane down there.
    he repaid their patience with a diva like attitude

the parade was made better by his absence

14. Fran

February 28, 2009 at 12:23 pm

won’t miss this guy tho

February 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

We should do a Worst 100 Phillies so that you can be No.1 Adam Eaton.

16. Ryk

February 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I dunno Manny. Eaton and JD Drew can be co-#1.

17. Chris.I

February 28, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Yea Eaton would be #1, and #2 Garcia. What does Eaton have to be mad about? He has all that money sitting in front of him, asking himself…Why am I so ”Bleeping” mad at this organization? I’ll tell u what…Atleast he has enough money to never work a real job, and leave the house to face the world for being a top paid terrible athlete. I think Eaton and George Bush should get room together, and live indoors the rest of their lives.

18. NJ

February 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm

What have you done for me now? What did you do for us ‘then’…? I elt for the guy when he was struggling but he doesn’t seem like a good team guy, he does seem to have a chip on his shoulder…

19. Albert

February 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm

That comment about leading the team in quality starts makes me sick. I hope he goes to the mets so we can boo him even more.

20. Nationals#1

February 28, 2009 at 1:54 pm

any chance of chaning the steve jeltz to the adam eaton?

21. T.O

February 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I can’t believe the nerve of this man. He gets paid a boatload of money to not play baseball and has the nerve to bitch about it on his way out. He’s trying to focus on a part of one season that he performed somewhat well. What about all of the other horrid starts. If I never have to mention his name ever again I will be extremly happy.

22. Chris.I

February 28, 2009 at 2:26 pm

LoL@changing the Steve Jeltz award to the Adam Eaton award….Tim I agree, the fans on this site would really agree on that. We should do a vote

23. Chuck P

February 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

“If I never have to mention his name again I will be extremely happy.”

Didn’t we already implement a no A_am E_ton clause?

I can’t believe he has the audacity to try to defend himself… the key quote “Waste two weeks down there where I can spend two weeks with my family?” Actually, Adam, getting in shape and working on your mechanics is pretty important when you fall in a pile of suck…

24. Greg V.

February 28, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Hey Eaton! Have fun pitching for the Camden Riversharks!

25. Polishprince171

February 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Eaton didn’t lead the team in quality starts before the all star break, that honor goes to king cole who had 13 with a 3.15 ERA as opposed to Eaton who had 10 with a 5.71 ERA.

26. Shawn

February 28, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I believe Eaton’s definition of a “quality start” is one that gives a quality lead for the other team.

Good Riddance Jackass.

27. KM

February 28, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I love how he tries to use health as a reason as to why he didn’t perform up to par – hey adam, you were healthy enough to sign that 24 million dollar deal, so go _____ yourself. also, if anything, you affected our health in having to watch you, loser.

shawn, that is definitely what eaton thought a quality start was.

28. Jp

March 1, 2009 at 1:14 am

This guys is bitter? About what!!!!! How bout all those fans like myself who wasted their hard earned money to see this guy suck!!! Go cry in a corner adam, good luck finding any team willing to have you be a batting practice pitcher! What an asshole…..yeah thanks for being on the team last year…like the year before you were the only shittty part!

29. Jp

March 1, 2009 at 1:20 am

Another thing…when the team wanted you to get in shape, heres a great idea….8.5 million dollars says you should have done whatever they asked being as you were absolutely stealing from them! I hope that you enjoy it when your kid asks mommy why their daddy is the least popular phillie of all time!what a loser!

March 1, 2009 at 1:32 am

I heard he’s gonna be pitching for this year’s home run derby!

Have a good life, you piece of _ _ _ _

31. MikeB

March 1, 2009 at 1:42 am

Can anybody remember any really good games this guy pitched for the Phils last year? The only games I can remember are when he got “bombed” and he was a pitcher who could really get “bombed.” To think that this guy took a spot on the Phils for almost two years that another pitcher could have filled and possibly could have had better success. It is good that this guy and the Phils are parting ways even with the loss of a great amount of money for no service.

32. Malcolm

March 1, 2009 at 4:39 am

Jamie Moyer was the most consistent pitcher in 2008, and in no way did Adam Eaton lead the team in quality starts before the break. If you read this interview alongside his interview released almost a month ago when he declared he would not accept a minor league designation from the Phillies, we all are given further understanding of how low Adam Eaton goes in explaining himself. “I am relieved in their decision and my agreement to their choice. I wish a lot of things had turned out differently- but hey, that’s baseball,”…. that’s all he should have said. No apologies, just don’t be full of b.s. I wish this was more of a relief, but the waste of salary space is a killer.

33. NJ

March 1, 2009 at 6:55 am

Wonder when Eaton was giving that interview if he remembered he was getting roughed up in both AAA and AA after being sent-down. I think we can all understand a veteran on a multi-year guaranteed contract not accepting a minor league assignment but Eaton had the wrong attitude from the start which seems to have been the rep on him.

You have to wish most guys luck inspite of not forefilling their potential but Eaton’s not one of those.

34. Keith

March 1, 2009 at 9:20 am

Eaton’s quote,” What do you want me to say? You want me to swallow another pill? For what? Waste two weeks down here where I can go spend two weeks with my family?”, sums up this guys crap attitude. He’s making $8.5 mil per year and won’t work for his money! When you’re employed by anyone you do as you are asked or quit and forego your pay. The Phils should have fired him and then sued for breech of contract the moment he refused to go down.
    SPOILED BRAT!!!

35. rhy

March 1, 2009 at 10:22 am

Eaton absolutely sucked, plain and simple. Take one look at his deplorable stats from the past two years, and it’s easy to see why this guy was sent down to the minors and then released.

He had literally the highest ERA in the entire league for any starting pitcher (AL or NL) in 2007 (a whopping 6.29), and a WHIP of 1.6+ in both 2007 and 2008.

I was astounded the Phillies even considered bringing him back for 2008 after Eaton proved he was the worst starting pitcher in the league. He was a liability each and every time he stepped on the mound, and will likely go down as the worst free agent signing in Phillies history, considering how much he got paid in relation to how abhorrently bad his performance was.

Despite his crappy pitching, I always kind of felt bad for the guy. He seemed like he tried his hardest, but usually came up short. Plus, he was always realistic about his performances in interviews, readily admitting how bad he’d been. Now that I’ve seen his exiting comments, however, I have one thing to say to Adam “Opposing Lineup’s Best Friend” Eaton:

Take your $24 million and shove it up your ass, you spoiled crybaby!

36. Holly

March 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm

@ Chris I – You should see a therapist about your Bush Derangement Syndrome. Get over it, Bush is gone and so is Eaton. Can believe people still have this BDS! We’ll see if the alternative will be any better – all talk!