DWIPP

Decade's Worst Individual Pitching Performances Preview

The Phillies who made Tim’s Top 100 list will always be remembered for their great play.  However, there are many Phillies that will always be remembered for the opposite.

As the Top 100 Phillies countdown is getting into the best of the best, on Tuesday, I will be starting a countdown of my own.

What is it?

I’m going to count down the 15 worst individual pitching performances since the year 2000.  Each posts will focus on an awful season for one pitcher.  It will also feature where they are now.

Why focus on the worst?

It wouldn’t be Philadelphian-like without looking at the negatives, would it?  There is nothing like getting ready for the season than to bring back bad memories, especially after the Phillies have won the World Series.

Why since 2000?  Why not all-time?

All-time would take forever to research.  The Phillies have had many bad pitchers in their long history. Although it seems like yesterday, 2000 was 9 years ago.  Those years of Phillies baseball remain fresh in many memories, so the names will not sound like complete strangers.

Why 15?

I originally planned on 10, however, there were a few players that I couldn’t decide on for the 10th spot.  Therefore, I extended the list to 15.

How did you determine who is the worst?

I based it on stats such as innings, earned run average, walks and hits per innings pitched, opponents batting averages, etc.  I also based it on the players I remembering being awful; the ones that made me cringe when I heard their names.

How about a preview of who to look out for?

You’ll have to check in everyday, but here are some borderline pitchers that just missed the cut, and the season they stunk.  The not-so-honorable mentions are:

Mike Williams in 2003, Brian Powell in 2004, and Brian Sanches in 2006.

The posts will be abbreviated “DWIPP” for Decade’s Worst Individual Pitching Performances.  Be sure to check in everyday at 10:00 AM to see what pitchers make the list.

1. Fran

March 16, 2009 at 8:06 pm

#1 Adam Eaton

2. James Kay

March 16, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Great idea. I hope it works. Fans have more base instincts fun rediculing over praising players at least some of the time.

3. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Does Paul Abbott ring a bell?

4. Jim

March 16, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Roberto Horrendez better make the list.

5. Jim

March 16, 2009 at 8:40 pm

tim, will you be basing the performacnes relative to their expectations as well?

6. philsphan

March 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Adam Eaton’s 2007 season must be #1 with his 2008 season coming in at #2.

7. Will

March 16, 2009 at 8:50 pm

This is a horrible idea and waste of time

8. Chuck P

March 16, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Would Freddy Garcia make this list?

9. Chuck P

March 16, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Roberto Horrendez… that is hilarious!

10. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I know Adam Eaton is the very popular one to go after, but I remember some dreadful Paul Abbott performances in 2004. I mean, 6.24 ERA, 33 walks, and 37 runs (14 home runs) in less then 50 innings?

11. Jim

March 16, 2009 at 8:57 pm

sj mike,i remeber those paul abbott games, but he only played half the season i think, i wonder if that wont put him as high

12. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Freddie Garcia didn’t play much of a season either. And it isn’t like Adam Eaton made it past half the season each one.

Usually the really dreadful ones are the ones that we remember and get yanked.

13. amanda Orr

March 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm

jim, it isn’t really based on expectations. you might find some that that are like that, but in general, it’s mainly those who were simply awful.

14. Jim

March 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm

very true, though i dont know if garcia will even be on here. might because its 15 names in only 8 years. but garcia got hurt before he could really redeem himself.

i think arthur rhodes in 2006 should be on this list. 0-5, 5+ era , 88 era +. plus he had high expectations, hes a proven performer else where, and ironically, since

15. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I don’t know, there appears to be too much of a high standard involved in the debate of pitchers so memorably awful.

I just think of it as those “Why the hell are you throwing him out on the mound again!?” pitchers. And I just remember throwing stuff at the TV for those Paul Abbott starts. So I just have awful memories of him pitching.

16. Jim

March 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm

sorry amanda, i didnt notice you were the author

17. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Another one I remember screaming at the TV every time he trotted out to the mound was Ryan Franklin. He was pretty bad, but not sure if he was just flat out awful.

18. Griffin

March 16, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Paul Byrd’s 2000 line of a 6.51 ERA in half a season is quite impressive, but without looking up anymore stats (and spoiling the list) I will just say one word-Duckworth.

19. SJ Mike

March 16, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Oh, I forgot about Brandon Duckworth. There are way too many relief pitchers from the Ed Wade era then we can possibly count.

20. 85

March 16, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Had to double-check when he played here, but Chad Ogea’s one season in Philly was 1999, so he won’t make it. Although some of the 36 home runs he gave up that year probably still haven’t landed yet.

21. Brendan

March 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Turk Wendell and his awful necklaces and even worse fastball???? Enough said

22. Grrrumpy Miner

March 17, 2009 at 12:06 am

Although he’s done great thus far and off the record a bit….I do hope as a Mets fan that Cole hamels is OK and turns out to be OK…..I want to see my Amazins beat you’se guys with your best that you’se have to offer.

23. Grrrumpy Miner

March 17, 2009 at 12:07 am

NO EXCUSES! I offered none for the last 2 years…..NO EXCUSES!

24. Rob

March 17, 2009 at 12:33 am

No offense… but I think this is a stupid idea and I have no desire to read about horrendous pitching seasons. Are you sure you can’t think of a better project to spend your valuable time on?

25. dan

March 17, 2009 at 1:04 am

How bout our opening day starter at the vet, Joe Roa? He was pretty rotten.

And kudos for mentioning paul abbot and turk wendell. the thing that killed me about him is that he sucked once WE GOT HIM! Didn’t he give up a walkoff hit the day after we got him against the Mets in NY?

26. Lewisauce

March 17, 2009 at 4:17 am

Tim Worrell’s two-thirds or so of a season have to be on the list. I know the guy had some personal problems (I think he went into rehab during the year), but the season before he had something like 30 saves for a West-coast team. In my office, he became known as Tim “Worrell-around-and-watch-the-homerun-leave-the-park.”

Turk Wendell definitely deserves to be on there. I’ve never seen a fastball sizzle down the middle so consistently predictably.

Eaton should have two top-five finishes, including the undisputed No. 1 spot.

27. Fred

March 17, 2009 at 5:20 am

Jose Mesa has gotta be in there somewhere.

28. Keith

March 17, 2009 at 6:35 am

Worst pitcher or worst pitching performance? There have been some pretty shabby games tossed by a few of our “aces” over the years. Can we look at starters only?

29. Phan in TN

March 17, 2009 at 6:39 am

I must admit that I like the way you write, Amanda.

I tire of the “best of” repeatedly.

We need some real Ricky Botallico, Robert Person, Wayne Gomes, and the hundreds of other bad Phililes pitchers.

Our beloved Joe Table would take ten minutes between pitches and if someone got a hit off of him..he would slow down even more.

30. Griffin

March 17, 2009 at 6:52 am

Carlton Loewer was truly awful (6.09 and 5.12 ERAs) but he pitched in ’98 and ’99 and is therefore unavailable for the list. He was traded with Adam Eaton for useless Andy Ashby. What a blockbuster that was.

31. Tyler

March 17, 2009 at 7:03 am

how bout best hitting performances by pitchers… myers’ playoffs would definitely be up there b/c of his bat… and wat about robert person’s 3-HR day vs. the expos… blanton’s HR in the WS?? That would be a fun read

32. Tyler

March 17, 2009 at 7:04 am

i do love the one time we used Eaton (i think) as a pinch-hitter cuz it was early in the game & he hit a foul-ball HR, then next pitch he knocked it out… that was great

33. Eli