Gameday 2009

Gameday: Phillies (56-40) At Diamondbacks (43-56)

Philadelphia Phillies (56-40) at Arizona Diamondbacks (43-56)

Jamie Moyer (9-7, 5.65 ERA) vs. Jon Garland (5-9, 4.41 ERA)

Time: 9:40 p.m at Chase Field
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 112
TV:Comcast Sportsnet
Twitter: Phillies Nation

In the scorching Arizona weather, the Phillies will send Jamie Moyer to the mound against the fourth place Diamondbacks, managed by the one-time Phillie, A.J Hinch.

Moyer’s season has been a roller coaster, and it’s very unpredictable as to what kind of outing he’ll have.  Moyer tends to have success against the young, free-swinging clubs, like the D’backs.  In his last three games against Arizona, Moyer is 2-1 with a 3.74 ERA.  Also, Moyer has had more success on the road.  He is 5-2 with a 4.38 away from The Bank this season.

In July, Garland has thrown five consecutive quality starts, posting a 2.73 earned run average in the month.  The problem is that he lacks run support.  The Phillies have been a hot team winning 13 of 15, but they are also facing a hot pitcher.

Shiner BockYour Gameday Beer – Shiner Bock
Shiner Bock is brewed by the Spoetzl Brewery down home in Texas. Spoetzl sounds German, but this beer is a bit lighter than the traditional bock. It has a dark carmel color, yet the flavor is not that deep nor complex. Scott Franzke suggests it. It goes well with gamey meats so try some venison tonight. – By Brian

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Nick

July 27, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Quick thought on halladay. I know riccardi said he wouldn’t let teams negotiate with halladay, but I wonder if we would make the trade of happ, drabek, and brown only if riccardi would let us negotiate with him. What do you guys think?

2. Tim Rich

July 27, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Shiner Bock is my favorite football beer, but it works for baseball. It also goes well with nachos.

3. Griffin

July 27, 2009 at 9:12 pm

hmmm , interesting Nick. I think if Halladay pitches well and sees the playoff atmosphere and how much the city cares, then he’ll be more enticed to sign long-term.

The biggest game of Halladay’s career is in a few months, and I hope he’s wearing red pinstripes when it happens.

4. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm

5. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Nice get to listen to Mark grace tongiht instead of Chris wheeler.
    why is everyone down on Moyer and his 15 wins every year?

6. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm

because wins are a team stat…

7. therookie300

July 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm

The Pirates took Matt Morris a couple years ago.

8. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm

No-hitter so far for Moyer! hahahaha

9. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm

oops no more! sorry

10. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Jamie definitely isn’t getting the corners as Geoff suggested, but he also doesn’t seem to have good command in general tonight. I hope he gets it together.

11. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm

see.

12. Georgie

July 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm

DJ, don’t do that anymore.

Geoff, quit gloating.

13. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm

It was a joke Georgie! Jamie is not going to throw a no hitter. so calm down.

14. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Andrew- i am not part of the Anti-Moyer Coalition….I’m more Swiss on the matter…I would say that age, as many allude to, isn’t such an issue cause i think his velocity hasn’t really changed all that much…Unfortuanately I believe an unintended consequence of the pitch surveillance systems has caused more umps to squeeze the plate. And with out the corners Moyer is in trouble. There are umps who still consistently call the outer/inner edges of the plate but i think there are less of them. I think Hardball Times or the Baseball Analysts have stats on ump. tendencies but be warned they are sabrmetric sites….

15. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I just have to ask, just for fun.

Arizona is a cash strapped team. Even rumors circulating that MLB might have to step in with loans. They can’t afford Haren’s 10+ mil four year contract. He’s a RHP in the middle of a Cy Young caliber year. White Sox have also been apparently interested.

What are our chances? If available, I think I’ll definitely take him and not have to deal with JP.

16. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm

HA Geoff, that DP was for you baby! Alright time for some runs!

17. Georgie

July 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm

ahaaaaa!!!!

DJ, you never know, although it’s unlikely.

18. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm

amazing defensive team..they really dont get enough credit for that around baseball its all offensive talk with them. but those guys can whip it around the horn with the best of them

19. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I get the feeling he’s not available MOphan because otherwise we would have been checking in on that. I think the DBacks believe that with Haren and a healthy Brandon Webb next year they will be contenders again. I don’t necessarily think they are that crazy.

20. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm

@Geoff…I challenge all Phils fans to find a better defensive infield. There isn’t one. Not only with their glove but with their arms. JRoll and Pedro throw absolute darts across the diamond. Did you guys see those lame ducks Alexei Ramirez was throwing during Buerhle’s perfect game? Or every throw David Wright makes from third? They are absolute floaters. It’s hard to not take our D for granted, but they are definitely the best.

21. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm

MOphan- Yeah, I’m Halladazed right now but Haren’s fine: upside youth…I just thought he was off the table and like Halladay he 6’5, 215 lb. which I like..I do however prefer a sinkerballer for a Fall showndown in the east…unless the Angels get past the Red Sox

22. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I am part of the anti-Moyer coalition. He is no good to us for the postseason or against any playoff contending team that has a good core of sluggers. If you look at his 16 wins last year they were against bad teams that have young players who can be easily fooled by finesse pitching. Finesse pitching doesn’t work for guys like Pujols, Beltran, Ramirez , etc. These are the kind of guys Moyer has to beat for us in the playoffs, and he simply doesn’t have it anymore.

23. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Dan, I think the Phils would consider Moyer starting in the playoffs as worst case scenario. That’s why they don’t want to give up Happ….because they don’t want to count on Jamie in that fourth spot.

24. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm

The way Moyer is pitching tonight, we are not going to win.

25. Ryan

July 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm

agreed, dan

26. Keith

July 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm

come on Moyer

27. Terri

July 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Moyer is not going to make it to the 5th inning. Too bad we can’t get rid of him.

28. Kenny

July 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm

It is so hard to watch Moyer pitch. He is just awefull. Please get rid of him.

29. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I thought Moyer was a good pickup at the time. Did what they needed him to do. I did not expect the Phils to keep him.

30. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I agree with you Miles. My point then is why keep him on the roster? Make him a coach if he is such a good mentor to the other guys. He is constantly pitching himself out of jams (if he is even able to do that). We should of signed Derek Lowe in the offseason instead of giving Moyer a two year deal.

31. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Thank God Mark Reynolds is a K machine. Ooh nice pop up, too.

32. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

We are in first. We are going to win the division he is going to win 15 games. He wont be on the playoff roster probably.

What more do you guys want? I am fine with him as the 5th starter next year also. And the year after. Until he is 70.

33. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

aww an, like EVERY team is going after Cliff Lee now because they all are pissed at the Jays. Lee will get traded because there are so many suitors now for him.

34. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I think he’ll make it to the 5th. Anything after that would be asking a little too much from the old man. I’ll be happy with five and still in a tight game.

35. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Gotta give it to Moyer, putting people on base but getting out of trouble.

36. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I also like that oyer messes up a teams timing etc etc.
    he is almost an ideal 5th starter in my opnion.

37. Terri

July 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Moyer has some luck. Arizona should have like 6 runs. Time for us to get a hit, or even some runs.

38. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Come on Phils. Lets hit the ball. I hope the jet lag from the trip isn’t affecting their play.

39. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I totally disagree with you about Derek Lowe but I think the Phils believe they can live with him in the rotation because of the way they hit the ball. And let’s be honest, who are these “bad teams” that he gets most of his wins off of? The majority of the NL is bad, so it’s probably over half of the teams that he faces. And two of his best performances this year were off of the Dodgers and Rays, so it’s really a crapshoot.

40. Georgie

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

yeah, but Jamie’s STILL in the rotation, he’s STILL pitching for the Phillies the last I checked, so could you at least TRY to act like you want him to win, JESUS, you people are unbelievable!

41. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Paul Bako….hmmmm…..can’t figure him out yet.

42. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

luck?
    thers no luck in baseball. you create your own luck

43. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

By the way we are so busy discussing Jamie’s efforts that no one has highlighted the fact that we don’t have any freaking hits yet. Let’s go boys, swing em like ya know how.

44. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Miles – the Jays..and I like pedro’s glove too but he’s racked up 9 errors so far, that’s 1 more than he had last year

July 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Chase!

46. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

And as I submit that last comment, Chase comes through. Love it.

47. Terri

July 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm

HOWARD!!!

July 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm

BOMB! HOWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Woo! Way to go big man!

50. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm

the rhyno is awake

51. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm

yes, the big whammer rocks another one

52. Keith

July 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm

HOWARD!!!!!!!!

53. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm

@j reed…I don’t know this as a fact, but I’m fairly sure that Feliz has to be close to the league lead in opportunities because of our 3 lefties (4 for a while with Bastardo). There are tons of balls that are smacked down at the hot corner, which may drive his errors up.

BIG POPPA!!! It’s almost August….the bear has almost fully awoken from his yearly hibernation!

54. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Miles, you make another good point. Don’t get me wrong. I want Jamie to be successful, but I just feel that nine times out of then he will not pitch well against playoff contending teams. Fifth starter? Okay, but then lets truly make him the fifth starter.

55. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Howard loves that warm weather to hit.

56. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm

RYAAAAAAAAANNNNN HHOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDDDDDDDDDD!!! I kno im late!! HAHAHAHA

57. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Is it me or is J.P. Ricciardi a moron. Shouldn’t the Jays have fired him by now.

58. Dan

July 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Come on Werth

59. Brian Michael

July 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I believe that was an oppo poppo by Howard…

July 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm

There are a LOT of Phillies Phans in Arizona tonight….

61. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm

JP is holding a party and no one wants to dance. Poor JP.

62. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm

There are A LOT of Philly fans out in PHX. I used to live there. There also a bunch of Cubs and Yanks.

63. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Haha I thought TMac was gonna hold off on the oppo boppo but he just had to say it. I really hope that him and his man boobs are long gone after this year

July 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Who’s the World Champ!?

65. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm

There weren’t too many Dbacks until they beat the Yanks in the WS.

66. Sean

July 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Even though an out, Werth had a great AB. Make Garland work!

67. Jason B.

July 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Oppo Boppo is the worst name for a homerun ball. It almost sounds like a hair style.

68. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm

d backs tv trivia question
    5 pitchers ever to give up the most homers

i am going don sutton, jamie moyer, robin roberts, bert blyleven

69. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Btw, I just checked our probable pitchers for the coming week to see if we had to face Lincecum and Cain (it looks like it will only be Lincecum) and I noticed that the Phils starter tomorrow is TBD. Is there any reason Cole wouldn’t pitch?

July 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Oh nice! Moyer with a 1-2-3 inning!

71. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Im sorry but I havent chimed in on the Halladay situation yet but giving up Happ, Drabek and Brown is not depleting the farm. The Phillies have the best chance out of anyother team to win the World series for two more years with Halladay. I say give them up. Prospects are what they are prospects. Remember even in football a guy looks like a gem in college (minor leagues) but just bombs in the cream of the crop. I personally do not feel comfortable with going after Lee when everyone else is cus it will be another bidding war. We need a true “ACE” with Hamels struggling, Moyer just being old and Martinez who we dont know what were getting out of him I just think we should do it. Remember if We make the world series we will more than likely see the Redsox or the Yankees!

72. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm

@Miles, I was wondering that myself. Haren is pitching for the Dbacks. Found it interesting.

July 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I think it’ll be Jamie Moyer vs Lincecum… so no biggie if we lose that one 🙂

74. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I can’t believe Garland just did that…..so stupid. How about Sarge springing to life to call Pedro’s first to third sprint there?! Hahaha….

75. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm

I just moved back to VA from PHX and there are a lot of Eagles and Phillies phans out in PHX because alot of people move there to reitre. And also noone is a hometown phan there until their winning (I.E. Cardinals BLAH) still mad about that game!

July 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Cmon Jamie…get a flyball

77. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm

I think old Charlie was holding back his pitching schedule hoping to have Halladay in the slot for tomorrow. It is his regularly scheduled start. that’s all I could come up with. I know Charlie really wanted him.

78. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Looks like it Manny, although we could easily be throwing in another starter via trade.

July 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm

It feels soooo good when J-roll hits! Whew

80. Keith

July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm

alright Jimmy!

81. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Young James! Love it!

82. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm

JIMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

83. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Man, I wish I could be watching the game.

84. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Every run we score when Jamie pitches is huge because he always falls victim to those big innings. Big 2 out double by JRoll.

July 27, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Has anyone seen this? Pretty cool eh

86. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:08 pm

As for Moyers at bat, Feliz on 3rd, 1 out, ground ball. Most of time you see players on 3rd run, and letting the defense give up a run to get the out at first. Why didnt Feliz run, was it really that hard of a ground ball off of Moyers bat? I didnt see, someone want to fill me in on that?

87. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Sarge just informed us that looking at a pitcher’s earned run average is the best way to tell how they are throwing. You can’t make this stuff up.

88. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm

miles – check this link
    …one year he had 21 before the end of the 2006 season. I think that was back troubles … they moved him to LF where he had none for the remainder of the year. Fielding stats will give you the number of opportunities each player has had…some sites let you compare 2 players so you can see if Feliz has more chances than others because left handed pitching.

89. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Brian, Feliz is just molasses on the basepaths and they had the infield pinched in. He would have been out easily IMO.

90. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Moyer pitching a shut out at the end of the 5th. Who could’ve asked for more?

91. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I have seen plenty of Molasses type baserunner make that move. Probably more like Moyer is even slower, and there is a higher chance of a couble play I am thinking.

92. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Brian- it was a hot shot and furthermore the 1st base ump signaled it was caught when in fact hit the ground. Heads-up play by feliz esp since we have had some serious baserunning mistakes at 3rd the past few weeks.

July 27, 2009 at 11:15 pm

A good team would’ve made him PAY, I’m pretty sure… but I’m very impressed with Moyer so far today, especially with his last couple of innings.

94. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Some people wont ever give jamie respect because he doesnt throw 95.
    theyd rather he lose 15 games and throw hard then win 15 and throw how he does.
    He will be here for the rest of this year and next. He is an asset.

95. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm

You’re right Manny, but as I said earlier on this thread, the NL is chock full of bad teams. Good news for a guy like Jamie.

96. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Brian- i was referring to Bako’s hit sorry

July 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Nice baserunning Chaseeeeee!

98. Geoff

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Its not about not being able to throw 95. Its about Moyer throwing meatballs. When he doesnt throw meatballs he stays in the game,

99. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Mr. Hustle getting another base for us.

100. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I saw Jamie’s old man at a church league softball game tonight in Souderton and he was SUPREMELY confident that Jamie would have a good game tonight. He noted Jamie’s good start here last year, as Comcast did earlier in the broadcast. Gotta love a father’s confidence….he probably thinks Jamie’s ERA is under 3. Haha.

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Cmon RauL!!

102. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuulllll

July 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm

There are the RAUUUUUUUUUUUL chants!

104. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm

The fact Moyer is 45 and still employed as a starting pitcher on a championship caliber team is more than enough to show him some respect in my book.

105. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

J reed, that sounds like a good analysis, I asked because yet again, I can not actually see the game. Manny, you cant always look at a record and say the team isnt good. Teams go through very good spurts, and some Nationals type spurts (Ironic that Nationals appear to be playing very well in the last 10 games). As I recall the Diamonbacks have also been on a pretty good streak scoring alot of runs, and their batting average in the month of july is actually 10 points higher than the Phils. Keeping that in mind it has been a VERY effective outing so far.

106. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Looks like another win for jaime
    say the phils score 10 and he gives up 8 over 6?
    To me hes made a great start. He can now give up 3 runs
    Meaning? He may lay in a meatball for a homer rather than walk people now. I thnk he should.

ERA the most over rated stat.

July 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Man this team can HIT!

108. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Raaaaauuuul!

July 27, 2009 at 11:22 pm

And GET hit! hahah

110. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Awesome defence! LOL!

July 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Cmon Bako gimme a big fly out!

112. Jeff of NoVa.

July 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Man the Phillies 1-8 lineup is probably the absolute best in baseball. We all know about the homeruns and big bobbers, but we have 3 guys hitting over .300 Utley, Ibanez, Vic, and if Pedro gets another hit he will be over .300 too. Take Bako out and put Chooch back in best 1-8 in all MLB hands down.

We get a Halladay with that and Hamels gets squared away, this could go down as the best all-around team in the history of the Phillies

113. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Yep, it is starting to look like another blowout. AZ just doesn’t have the offense to come back if they don’t stop the Phils from having a big inning here.

114. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Makes you appreciate our infield defence.

115. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Brutal defense….I’ll take the runs though.

July 27, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Their defense today is horrible!

117. Ryan

July 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

they should take sarge’s advice and soak their gloves in oil

118. MOphan

July 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Brian, I know how you feel about not being to watch the games. I’m in MO, Cardinal’s country. Was able to watch Sat and Sun. That was sweet.

119. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Andrew, you have a good point, I have kind of given up on the Moyer Haters for the most part. Geoff, lately you have come up with some GREAT points and have been talking alot about Patience, but honestly my friend, I wish you would have some patience with Moyer and give him a chance before saying “its going to be batting practice tonight. hes not getting a double-sized strike zone. too bad we cant con someone like the pirates into giving us zach duke in exchange for moyer. i mean the pirates are not really trying to win, so they may go for it.” What was that at, the 1st or second inning you said that? Give him a chance sometime.

July 27, 2009 at 11:28 pm

This offense is scary. I’m benching Dan Haren tomorrow in my fantasy league…

121. Steph

July 27, 2009 at 11:28 pm

how bout the phils trade for lee and martinez? ruiz is a great defensive catcher but adding another offensive power would cement them as the best offense in the majors.. even haren and montero possibly? or am i just wishful thinking

122. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:28 pm

As to bad teams in the NL
    yeah no thanks to Budd Selig’s small market expansion team parity experiment….thinning the talent with more teams…wouldn’t want another team in the AL to water down the Angels, Red Sox or the Yankees rotations…don’t even get me started on that DH abomination…

123. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Softball gloves and aluminium bats for the d-backs

124. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Hell Cole needs to get his act together. I am not worried at all about moyer. If we get a big front line pitcher Cole has to rise to the occasion not shrink. Saw Cole being interviewed somewhere mtv or hbo or something. Hes clearly not the cole of last year this year.

125. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:31 pm

@Steph….obviously Martinez’s offense would be welcome, but it’s just not a need because of how we score runs. There is no purpose in adding him to a deal and having to give up extra prospects for him. Same with any other catcher.

126. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm

That may be it for Jamie but I’ll be damned if he did his job again. Maybe we just need to start him on the road only.

127. Keith

July 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

and Moyer gives us 6 solid innings

128. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I find it almost impossible to get into a game with the DH. Living in MD from 83 on and before the sports packages I followed the orioles.
    AL baseball is no strategy. None
    Bores me to tears

129. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

And dude you cant sit Haren tomorrow.
    Roll him

July 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I think Cole has devoted too much of his time to publicity and camera flashes since the World Series. It’s like his head is not there. That’s why I think that when it’s time to perform in the postseason, he won’t disappoint at all because his mind will be forced to be exclusively on baseball.

131. Jeff of NoVa.

July 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Wow is Moyer going to make it 7 innnings that would be a nice relief, Go Moyer

132. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I think Miles has a point, expecially with how Ruiz catches our pitchers, especially Lidge. Ruiz’ Defensive abilities with how some of our pitchers hit the dirt, can sometimes be the difference in games if its close.

133. Havoc

July 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Love seeing Jamie pitch this well, but let’s be realistic these are the diamondbacks…

Still don’t think I’d want Jamie pitching in the playoffs. To be honest the only three I’d like to see are Hamels, Blanton, & Happ in the playoffs.

134. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Zolecki is saying that Pedro will likely start for the Pigs on Friday. I might have to make the trek north for that one.

135. phlphan in ND

July 27, 2009 at 11:39 pm

what’s up people…………anyone in here going or know anyone going to the Chicago series next month?

136. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:39 pm

And the funny thing is, J-Roll is having a bad offensive night compared to the rest of his month. LOL. I will take a 1 for 4 night with 1 RBI as a bad night any day. Not sure what J-Roll did to turn around from his HORRIFIC start, but honestly I dont care, I am liking his turnaround.

137. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm

j roll had to get better. impossible to get worse.
    Hed be the core player id entertain offers for. Not saying i want him gone. I am happy with him. But if he went somewhere else Itd be ok with me.
    His defense is superb so thats huge. But there are entire months when he needs to be bating 8th.

138. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Havoc, you do realize that even though the Diamonbacks have a poor record, they have been doing very well the month of July right? The team batting average for the month of July is 10 points higher than the Phils, and only one team has scored more runs this month then the Diamondbacks (the Phils because of homers). So “let’s be real” Moyer has had a very good night so far. I hope he gets through this inning with no runs.

139. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Ok guys, we got a game with the Diamond Backs tonight. And that only means one thing. Bad news for the D-backs!

140. j reed

July 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Steph- we do have marsden also but thinking were gonna get the 2008 Cy Young winner for any less than halladay is fools gold…Besides Lee and Hamels are practically carbon copies: left handers, both 6’3 and 190 lbs- both are change-up guys but Lee features more pitches and has a brutal knuckle curve….In the Phillies Trade Thread there alot of us pontificating on the subject all day long….some insightful stuff

141. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm

phlphan in ND, I might be going for a game in Chicago. Yoy going?

142. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Didn’t anybody in the PR staff realize what “D-Backs” sounds just line when it is said quickly?

143. phlphan in ND

July 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm

all three Brian……..a phew of us from NoDak are going down

144. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I love it when the team gets an ovasion on the road.

145. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Andrew, his turnaround is a bit too much to just say how could only get better. Whats his batting average this month? Isnt it close to .375 in July? I mean batting .280 I could understand saying he had to get better. I am not so certain of being ok with sending him somewhere else just because his defense is AWESOME IMO.

146. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I’ve been trying to get out to Wrigley the past few seasons, but the schedule just has not worked out right.

July 27, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Goodnight all, let’s hope the pen can wrap this up!

Moyer looked shaky at first, but actually put on quite a show. Amazing!

148. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Honeslty that was a GREAT outing for Moyer. The D-Backs have also been on an offensive tear, and he shut them down, and now after 6 2/3 innings and 104 pitches he put two on? VERY acceptable. If Chan Ho can get this guy out, that would be a shut for Moyer, but if he gives up any runs they get credited to Moyer.

149. phlphan in ND

July 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Mazi….PHX is just like DEN and MIA…..a ton of PHL fans in those areas

150. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Is it just me, or has Chan Ho Park been our most valuable pitcher the past two months?

151. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Does anyone know what started the fight where the fan was beaten to death! Which I think is just horrible and puts another black mark on us Philly fans

152. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Shut out for Moyer. Great job Chan Ho, 6 more outs.

153. Mazinman

July 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Great job by Moyer and another good job by Park. Really, Chan Ho bouncing back so well has pretty much saved the bullpen this season.

154. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Yeah dealing JRoll would be a horrid mistake. That would leave Bruntlett and Donald fresh off the DL to fill in at short. I vomited a little bit in my mouth as I just said that. Btw, what are the odds on Bruntlett getting another hit this year? like 5-1? And it doesn’t count if he gets another hit off of a position player like he did off of Paul Janish.

155. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:54 pm

DJ. It was a spilled beer and somebody got bumped into. I used to live about two blocks from the bar where the cowards came from. I am not surprised at all.

156. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:55 pm

When did that happen DJ? Where also?

157. Georgie

July 27, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Way to go Jamie. SOME of us still have your back.

158. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:55 pm

@DJ – A spilled beer. It’s really one of the saddest and most maddening stories I’ve ever heard. There really isn’t much to say about it other than that it was incredibly stupid and mindless.

159. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

love the porno stash on this arizona pitcher
    Arizona announcers think we are getting Halladay.

160. phlphan in ND

July 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

So I am watching this game on FSN AZ and the dude was like why are they booing Ibanez and the other dude was its all the Philly fans saying Rauuuulll

161. Miles

July 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Brian, the argument started at McFadden’s and the beating took place in the parking lot somewhere.

162. phlphan in ND

July 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm

go to philly.com and read the article…….must we ruin this good game with that garbage talk?

163. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Brian, at Saturday’s game, a bunch of fans at the McFadden’s at the park got into a huge fight. And somehow it carried over into the parking lot, and a 22 year old was beaten to death. The local papers sat on the story for as long as they could. But by last night, it was too big to ignore.

164. Andrew

July 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm

LOL
    You wouldnt trade J ril unless you had a major league SS to take over. Bruntlett is not a major league player.

I am saying that of all the core players. If he got moved I would be deal with it best. Ryan K or Chase and Id cry. Shane also Id cry.

165. DJ

July 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Brian- I was listening to “The Herd” and he was talking about Philly being the angriest fans and how a fan was beaten to death in the parking lot during saturdays game. I couldn’t believe it when I heard it especially since they were both phillies fans. A 30 person brawl is just wild and especially over a beer spilling.

166. Morris Buttermaker

July 27, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Let Park bat!

167. Brian of CO

July 27, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Where was it at? was it in Philly? an opposing fan I am guessing? Sadly there are several of our phellow phans who need help, i.e this story I am hearing right now. I saw some of it in the parking lot of Opening Day. Oy.

168. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:00 am

I would have let Park bat and let him finish the game.

169. Keith

July 28, 2009 at 12:01 am

poor Bruntlett got robbed

170. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:01 am

ive seen pearl jam in 75 different cities all over north america.
    Philly crowds are the best. Also the most intense and animal like,
    I have only ever been scared in parking lot in philly. I do consider the philly fans the greatest in the world. I get tired of all the BS the national media invents. But in a way they are the most instense so i can see it.

171. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:01 am

Eric Bruntlett- the baseball equivalent of a punt.

172. MOphan

July 28, 2009 at 12:02 am

Shame. Could’ve put some more runs on the board, but I guess we can’t get too greedy.

173. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:02 am

Sorry I was typing the questions before I saw the responses.

174. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:03 am

Brian- It happened A at CBP parking lot during saturdays game and they both were philly fans the one guy was there for a bachelor party and the guys that beat him to death were from Fishtown and all had traveled on a bus

175. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:04 am

It was all Philly fans fighting each other, apparently it was like 30 on 7. There are a lot of missing vital details in the story. McFadden’s might have a huge lawsuit on their hands.

176. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:05 am

I just watched a highlight of Tatis’s pinch hit grand slam against the Rockies tonight. What an absolute jackass. He had his arm pointing skyward basically all the way around the bases and then did his usual side step bullcrap into home plate. The Mets of course partied like rock stars in the dugout as well.

I cannot believe that idiot doesn’t get plunked for some of the stuff he pulls. Congratulations on getting your average up to .239 with that bomb, Fernando.

Also, your 4 home runs are almost as unimpressive as the 13 double plays you’ve grounded into.

177. Geoff

July 28, 2009 at 12:05 am

ok so I was wrong there…our defense is GREAT because moyer was getting hit tonight.

178. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:06 am

We are all intense, but the bad apples among us ruin it for the rest of us. I dont think I can ever forget the parking lot after the Opening Day. I can say only once in my life did I ever say I was ashamed to be a Philly phan” and that was it, but sadly after hearing this story, it might be twice. UTTER STUPIDITY. I wish the rest of our phans are like how all of us seem on this site.

179. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:07 am

sounds like a fight. They happen all the time. Someone died is all.
    chance you take when you get into a big fight.

180. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:08 am

Damn Geoff, even after a shutout you hate on Moyer. Come on bro, let your hatred go a little for just one minute.

181. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:09 am

Wow, I just found out that one of the guys arrested was the same guy who stabbed a distant cousin of mine 16 years ago.

182. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:09 am

I have Mark Reynolds in fantasy. So thanks Ryan.

183. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:09 am

Miles- I dont care what the Mets do what are we 10 or 11 games up! hahaha let them be the Jack @asses they are! When they are home crying at paying so much for a fourth or maybe even last place finish ,if the Nats keep winning, then they can watch how real professionals conduct themselves and learn from there

184. Thunder Lips

July 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

I’m dying to see how the Phils fare against Dan Haren who is a top 5 NL pitcher. If they do well against him tomorrow, my confidence will be higher than ever. While I don’t think Rodrigo Lopez is “the answer” in the starting rotation, I don’t agree with throwing Pedro in there over him until he (Rodrigo) screws up. Any thoughts on that?

If the Phils pitching rotation stays the same until the end of the season, I will be worried b/c this stretch of amazing pitching cannot continue with this crew. They are are average at their core, but are pitching amazing during this streak. I don’t think they will continue this pace and I think the Phils bats may cool a bit which spells ingredients for trouble.

185. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

They are the same team that lost 2 of 3 to the Nationals. LOL.

186. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

I was in Baltimore a few years ago for a Phillies-O’s game. That was probably the first time in my life I was ever embarrassed to be a Phillies fan. It was just so many drunken meatheads acting so horribly.

187. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Andrew- come on you don’t beat someone over and over again after they hit the ground and especially when there were a couple of them. They basically jumped one guy!

188. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Ok I take back my reynolds comment. Please dont do this to me.
    I still am scared of Lidge also.

189. MOphan

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Is Madson trying to single handedly throw the game here?

190. Paul

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Get Madson out.

191. Terri

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Maddson has to be kidding.

192. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

wow Madson SUCK tonight. no sugar coating this one.

193. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:13 am

Geez MadDog…..doing your best to get Lidge in the game, huh? I was hoping to avoid that tonight.

194. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:13 am

Im just saying there are fights all the time everywhere. i dont even think this is very phillies related at all.

195. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:13 am

WTF Madson!!! Ok he needs to right that ship! I think Park is pitching way better and Madson might need to go see the psychologist. Blowing those saves really messed him up

196. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

I made my smartass comment about the reynolds homer
    I apoligize to everyone

197. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

Nice pitch.

198. Paul

July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

Finally. Phew…

199. Georgie

July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

Whew, Madson is nerve-wracking lately.

200. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

Thanks for the scare. WTF. the Tying run was on deck. good lord.

201. MOphan

July 28, 2009 at 12:16 am

Good nite guys. Nice hangin’ out. May be you’ll allow me to do it again sometime. I have to get up really early.

202. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

No lidge means I can relax.
    I still thnk he is #1 question mark. It is proven that Madson cant close. So what if lidge blows 6 more saves?

203. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

It’s frustrating because if you leave Park in, he probably finishes the game and does not give up a run. But our dueling headcases of Madson and Lidge are going to make this game a lot closer than it should be.

204. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Andrew its not Phillies related but it is Philly related. The point is that it wasn’t about drugs or money or anything like that. It was about knuckleheads who think they are tough guys overreacting for the sake of trying to be a hard @ss.

205. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Phillies fans fighting each other at the ball park and one dying does look bad for Philly. I mean we booed Santa, had a jail in Veterans stadium and boo our teams real quick after 1 loss (which I do). Now we give them a death at the stadium doesn’t look too good

206. DJ

July 28, 2009 at 12:20 am

We only have 6 hits against an alright pitcher but luckily 6 runs, They have 9 hits and that kinda scares me for tomorrow especially since we will be sending out Hamels who even in wins has been shaky and they will be sending out Haren

207. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:21 am

If Lidge continues to struggle, the Phillies have Myers and Bastardo as a back up plan. But he has down well in save situations. He is hard to watch in non-save situations.

Remember last week when that rumour of Kyle Kendrick for Josh Willingham was going around? Man, if we turned that one down, it is a huge mistake. I hope it was just a rumor.

208. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:23 am

DJ, hopefully their shaky D shows up again tomorrow. I think we can scratch a few out off of Haren, though. He has given up 13 dingers this year so hopefully somebody can get a hold of one. Only 19 walks though so don’t look for too many free passes.

209. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:24 am

The Phillies hit well against good pitchers. It is the “making his first start in the majors in 2 years” pitchers that give the Phillies the most trouble. They will probably knock Haren out of the game in the 4th inning.

210. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:25 am

well DJ, the worst part of those numbers is the number of hits. its the 3 hits, 2 runs in 1 IP by Madson. In 1 inning, he gave 2 runs, and half of the hits given up by the old man in 6 2/3.

211. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:26 am

Mitchypoo was talking on the radio today about how if Lidge could just find more command for his fastball that he would be lights out once more. His velocity is there but he just has to command it. The sliders have looked more Lidge-like since his return from the DL but the fastball has still been a bit of a problem.

212. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:26 am

what would we do with willlingham?

213. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:26 am

Did anybody catch Omar Minaya’s press conference today? It was the stuff legends are made off.

214. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:27 am

why use lidge tonight. Doesnt hamils vs haren lead one to thnk tomorrow will be close? We hopefully will need lidge tomorrow.

215. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:27 am

Willingham was to be the right-handed bat off the bench.

216. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:27 am

Speaking of Lidge-like sliders….that second one to Upton was redonkulous, as Stu Scott would say.

217. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:28 am

A bunch of the Phillies beat writers confirmed that it was a rumor and even laughed at the fact that people think the Nats would give him up for Kendrick alone.

218. Mazinman

July 28, 2009 at 12:29 am

Wow that “Lets go Phillies!” chant is loud!

219. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:29 am

Haha no chance for Reynolds after that fastball up and in….nice win fellas! Let’s take the series tomorrow!

220. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2009 at 12:31 am

Miles, don’t put anything past the Nationals management. They can always surprise you.

221. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:31 am

222. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:31 am

1-2-3 inning for Lidge. I like that. Too bad Madson had to ruin the shut out. oh well cant be too greedy, a win is a win, and a nice Month of July! Night all.

223. Georgie

July 28, 2009 at 12:32 am

Man, Ryan looks like he’s still losing weight.

224. Miles

July 28, 2009 at 12:32 am

Moyer lowers his ERA to 5.32, the lowest its been since the beginning of May.

225. Keith

July 28, 2009 at 12:33 am

Lidge was great

226. Georgie

July 28, 2009 at 12:35 am

It figures that all the Moyer bashers don’t have the balls to come back on here and give him his props.

227. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:36 am

was I saying 15 wins for moyer? try 18
    In 5 days show some respect people

228. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:37 am

I like Moyer for the Ashburn personally. I know people say he “struggled” towards the beginning, but he still pitched 6 2/3, 6 hits, ZERO runs, 5 strikeouts.

229. Kenny

July 28, 2009 at 12:39 am

Relax Georgie. Are you a girl? Moyer pitched against the Diamondbacks. If it was a good hitting team he was toast. Your mother could pitch against them Georgie..Are you a girl?

230. Mazinman

July 28, 2009 at 12:40 am

Another win for the Phils! Now to go back to obsessing about trade news.

231. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:40 am

Dont worry Georgie, Geoff will be on here tomorrow saying how great the Defens played because Moyer sucked, and was lucky against a bad team, and all that other crap, leaving out that the D-Backs average for July is one of the best in the Majors, and the only team putting up more runs than the D-Backs is the Phillies, and how he had issues all night. LOL. Still think it was a great outing by Moyer.

232. Georgie

July 28, 2009 at 12:41 am

Kenny, are you a girl?

233. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:41 am

Gee Kenny was the first to ignore how well the D-Backs offense has been this season. LOL.

234. Brian of CO

July 28, 2009 at 12:43 am

I meant MONTH, NOT season. its late. LOL

235. Kenny

July 28, 2009 at 12:44 am

Clint Hurdle said he would of made that deal for Halladay three days ago. He said with our offense its a lock. OH BABY. FIRE JR PUNK. Get rid of Happless in Philly and Kyle Tommy John Surgery Drabek. He gets crushed against lefties and gives love a bad name.

236. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 12:49 am

how many wins does moyer have?
    there are 12 pitchers total in the NL with 10 wins

this gets old.

Hes the Phils cy young pitcher so far.

237. j reed

July 28, 2009 at 12:57 am

miles- he might have command problems because he’s overcompensating for loss of arm speed. Speed is the hardest of athletic attributes to maintain and as an athlete ages speed workouts need to be done more frequently which for lidge would be hard to plan with the erratic appearances a closer makes.

238. j reed

July 28, 2009 at 1:18 am

Andrew- Moyer is great when the match-ups are right. When there not (and i don’t hold this against him per se) the rotation if possible should be juggled…they do it for the Marlins and yet they pitch him against the Cubs when they could have given him the Padres and let Hamels take on the the more potent Cubs esp. with the postponed Marlins game giving everyone an extra day of rest. I still don’t understand why the acrimony towards him goes beyond his performance…

239. Andrew

July 28, 2009 at 2:03 am

Because fans like to whine about a guy who has 10 wins when our next closest has 7. I dont get it either. Long live Moyer

240. j reed

July 28, 2009 at 2:28 am

Andrew- My least favorite stat. is the W-L but that my inner statistcian gripe…bottom line is well…he gets the job done and requires no maintenance…though playoff/WS match-up badly for him: LA and assuming Boston is not ideal for him.

241. Dave

July 28, 2009 at 5:30 am

Adam Eaton managed a .500 record with an ERA of 6.29. Wins don’t mean shit.

Still, good job by Moyer today. I thought he was a goner the first two innings, but this was a very good start.

242. Pingback: Baseballbriefs.com

243. Marcie Doucett

July 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Hi, maybe this is a bit off topic but anyway, I have been browsing about your website and it looks really great. fervent I’m creating a new blog and struggling to have it appear good, and supply really good articles. I have discovered a lot on your site and I look forward to additional updates and will be returning.