Lopez Moved to Bullpen

Scott Lauber reports that Rodrigo Lopez will be moved to the bullpen.

“My job is to get people out. I definitely like being a starter. I’ve been a starter most of my career. I think I can pitch as well in the bullpen, but I just feel that I’m good enough to get people out, whether it’s coming out of the bullpen or in the rotation,” Lopez said.

Since his callup, Lopez is 3-1 with a 3.62 earned run average and 1.54 WHIP in five starts.

Click to comment

1. Phil

August 1, 2009 at 6:33 pm

His WHIP has been terrible all year. I said all along he was getting lucky. He’s not even bullpen material.

2. Andrew

August 1, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hes been good
    You are what your record says you are.

I hate using football coaches schtick but it fits.

I notice happ not to the pen

3. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Well, Brett Myers may or may not be back. Id like to see them land another quality reliever in the August waiver-trading period. Looks like Bastardo – a quality bullpen option, might not necesasrily be able to help us this season because the Phillies havent yet figured out that hes not a starter at this early stage of his career.

4. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Happ is not in the bullpen yet but he will be. Once Pedro is ready then Happ will probably go to the pen, though I wish he wouldn’t. We also have J.C, Durbin and Condrey rehabbing. Chances are Walker, Kendrick and Lopez will all get sent down once the other three are ready to go. I don’t see Myers coming back until September call ups/roster expansion unless someone else gets hurt.

Here is the thing though, to my knowledge, in order for Myers to be on the post season roster he has to be called up before September correct? No one that is part of the call ups can be on the post season roster I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5. Andrew

August 1, 2009 at 7:39 pm

He was on the roster at some point before sept though.

6. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Ok a player has to be on the 25 man roster by August 31st in order to be on the post season roster.

So then that begs the question…

Assuming the rotation is…and this is just an assumption.

And the bullpen is

Now in the post season you have a 4 man rotation so chances are Pedro or Moyer, probably Pedro gets bounced from the rotation, so someone in the rotation listed above will have to be removed…same thing if Myers does indeed come back. Unless he totally blows which he may, I see him as too valuable to not have in the pen. He is exactly what you need in the pen, a guy who strikes guys out.

7. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Pedro looked like a reliever last night

8. Andrew

August 1, 2009 at 7:52 pm

some teams have 3 man rotations in the playoffs. Depends on off days
    and the notrious bad october weather that baseball now deals with as ther season goes deeper and deeper.

I will fall over when happ is moved to the bullpen unless he has a couple of bad outings. I dont see it.
    Happ bullpen in the playoffs very possible. btu not if he continues to be our best starter

9. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I agree Geoff. I think Pedro will be a reliever. Maybe not right out of the gate. I think the Phillies will give him a chance to start, though I don’t think they should unless they are going to put Moyer in the pen. I find it highly unfair to Happ to put him in the pen just because he is young and can go in there when he doesn’t deserve too. I guess my question is, what do people think the post season pitching roster will look like?

10. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I think theyre going to acquire another relief pitcher regardless of whether or not Myers can return.

11. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Maybe so. But again, if that happens, you now have a ton of options for the pen come post season time, assuming we make it. Who gets left out?

12. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Durbin, Romero maybe

13. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Romero has been 100% unimpressive since coming back clean.

14. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Agreed. I guess you can get away with leaving Romero off if Eyre and Happ are you lefty options. You need at least two IMO.

15. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Happ would be in my playoff rotation. Im sure MOyer will be left in the rotation for some reason knowing the Phillies. But I wouldnt even have Moyer on my playoff roster AT ALL…

16. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I agree with you Geoff. Not because I have anything against Moyer but because the reality of it is, he doesn’t deserve it. Not if the season were to end today. If he goes on a run through the rest of the year where he just dominates then I would of course reconsider but he is not made for the bullpen at all and as a starter he doesn’t deserve it either. Especially given that the Phillies already have 2 guys int he rotation who are lefties and Happ would be the 3rd if he made it.

17. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I agree I mean itll be Hamels Lee Blanton Happ I think. Pedro, MOyer to the pen, but Moyer would be useless out of the pen so I think he should just kinda hang out and provide leadership and guidance from the dugout once the postseason begins – barring injuries.

18. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:19 pm

next year im looking for Drabek to become the 5th man in that rotation.

19. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Agreed. Though, would Moyer be allowed in the dugout if he is not on the post season roster?

20. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I think so. Was Eaton in the dugout when he wasnt on the playoff roster in 2007?

21. psujoe

August 1, 2009 at 8:24 pm

IMO, It’s way too early to determine the playoff rotation. As of today I would agree it’s Hamels, Lee, Blantan and Happ, but a lot can change in the next 20+ games. I’d have Pedro in the bull pen over Durbin if he progresses with his control. Durbin has been a disappointment.

22. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I agree with you PSUJoe about Durbin as well as it being a little early for playoff talk. I know I hate it when the radio/tv guys talk about the playoffs like it is a foregone conclusion…just trying to start up some convo.

@Geoff…I honestly can not remember if Eaton was in the dugout…I feel like he was not. But I really do not remember.

23. The Little Guy

August 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Eaton definitely wasn’t in the dugout in the post season lol.

24. joedad

August 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Eaton was asked not to be with the team during the playoffs. He was sent home.

25. Geoff

August 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Well the would probably have moyer around this time

26. joedad

August 1, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Eaton rejoined the team in September, but did not pitch. The Phillies asked him if he wanted to pitch in the instructional league in Florida during the National League Division Series to stay sharp in case of an injury — although pitchers Kyle Kendrick and Rudy Seanez would have been chosen before Eaton had there been any injuries to the pitching staff.

Eaton declined the invitation because he knew he wouldn’t be asked to join the postseason roster. So he returned to Washington and watched the playoffs from home. The players who participated in the instructional league ultimately rejoined the team and watched the NL Championship Series and World Series from the bench. They also attended the championship parade.

Eaton never attended the parade.

27. Ed R.

August 1, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Probably because Eaton is piece of sh*t. I am glad he stayed home. He didn’t deserve to be there. Although no one ever came out and said he was a bad locker room guy, I can’t imagine him being a good one. He sounds like a little child who just crosses his arms, and walks away because he is “too good” for you anyway.

28. The Little Guy

August 1, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Amanda is slacking with the gameday thread, game starts in 5 minutes

29. Gavin

August 1, 2009 at 9:09 pm

where’s the gameday thread?

30. The Little Guy

August 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Amanda is slacking

31. Keith

August 1, 2009 at 9:19 pm

oh well

32. Georgie

August 1, 2009 at 9:29 pm

We’ll just have to create our own gameday thread. Since I don’t drink beer, what’s the beer for tonight? I had pasta with chicken for supper.

33. Amanda Orr

August 1, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Really sorry guys, the gameday should be up now. I had it scheduled for the wrong time.