Posts

Top 25 Moments of 2009

2009 was an exciting year for the Philadelphia Phillies.  They were unable to win it all, but it was a season to be proud of.  There were a lot of special moments that led to a second consecutive National League pennant, and Phillies Nation will be breaking down those top moments.

Throughout the month, Phillies Nation will list the Top 25 Moments of 2009.  We narrowed it down to about 45.  Then, each member of Phillies Nation and other Phillies bloggers listed their top 25 moments in order.  We also got fans involved through Twitter and Facebook.  We used a “fair voting method,” called the Borda Method, which is used to count up votes for baseball’s most valuable player.  Basically, a first place vote equals 25 points, second place equals 24, third place equals 23, and so on.  But, you don’t have to worry about the math; it just helped determine the order of our list.

We’ll start at 25 and count our way up to number one.  It’ll be a lot like Tim’s Phandom 25, seen on Phillies Nation in previous years.  25 will be released tomorrow, but below are the ones that did not make the cut.

Honorable Mentions:

July 11 vs the Pittsburgh Pirates:  Ryan Howard hit a game tying home run in the ninth inning.  Paul Bako won the game with a walk-off single.  Phillies win, 8-7.

May 2 vs the New York Yankees:  For the second straight night, Brad Lidge blew a save.  However, Carlos Ruiz came up big with a RBI double in the 11th. Phillies win, 4-3.

J.A Happ’s complete game shutout against the Toronto Blue Jays and Cole Hamels’ complete game shutout against the San Francisco Giants barely missed the cut.

Make sure you check back for the “Top 25 Moments of 2009.”

1. bd

December 2, 2009 at 9:04 am

July 11, a game I left after 8 because I was dog tired and there was no way they were coming back and they hadn’t won a single game I had been too all year. Stayed to the end of every game after that, but still didn’t see a win all year, including the NLDS, until Game 5 of the WS.

2. Jay Ballz

December 2, 2009 at 9:20 am

I participated in the survey. I listed Happ’s Toronto game among my top moments of the year, so I am disappointed that didn’t make the cut. I look forward to reading the list.

3. Hugh

December 2, 2009 at 10:37 am

I was in Toronto for Happ’s 10 – 0 shut out and it was the greatest game I’ve ever seen live apart from the 2008 WS. Shame it couldn’t make the list. It had two great stories with Werth’s massive first home run and all-star day. I’ve never seen a ball travel that far off a bat.

December 2, 2009 at 10:50 am

Yea, can’t believe that those two shutouts were left off… and Chooch getting that hit in the 11th at Yankee stadium!!! C’mon! Don’t do this to Chooooch

5. Al in Seattle

December 2, 2009 at 11:11 am

I’d bet that JRoll’s double in game 4 of the NLCS will be in the top five… That was insanely cool.

6. newyork

December 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

my favorite memory was the dirty phillies crying in the visiting dugout of yankee stadium. hahaha you’ll never be champs again

7. Kevin

January 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I like the list. Did something very similar on my site. Mine was top games of the year in my opinion. All but one ranked on the list, that being the July 11 rally against Pittsburgh. All in all though, the top moments are right on. I didn’t include the World Series wins, would rather forget the World Series, even in a look back segment on my site, but got number 1 with you guys. I don’t think there was any moment we were more [insert adjective here] than that. J-Roll’s walk-off double had all the dramatics, excitement, and euphoria all in one swing. Other highlights on my list: NL and NL East Champs, 22 runs, two slams in a game, NLDS Game 4, Harry’s final call and the first game without. 2009 was fine, 2010 we’ll be winners again.