Odds and Ends: Romero, Aumont, Wang – Phillies Nation
Odds And Ends

Odds and Ends: Romero, Aumont, Wang

-All the local Phillies beats are reporting that JC Romero believes he will be ready by opening day, and if not by then, definitely a week or so into the season.

This is a great sign that Romero has recovered from elbow surgery, because it’s imperative he find his 2008 form when he was one of the best situational lefties in baseball.  With Antonio Bastardo and Sergio Escalona being the primary lefties with Romero out, the Phils could use that stabilizing force in the bullpen.  I will say this; I am excited to see what both of the young lefties will bring to the table this spring.  In winter ball, Bastardo was lights out, while Escalona struggled mightily.

According to the twitter of Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, Phillippe Aumont had “great action on his fastball” today.  That’s an important sign as Aumont is being groomed as a starter once again. The Seattle Mariners used him out of the bullpen to fast-track him to the majors, but the Phillies see him as part of the rotation down the line.

Unfortunately, there will be some pressure on Aumont to show his skill during Spring Training as a way of justifying the Cliff Lee deal.  Right or wrong, that’s the way it goes, so lets see how Aumont deals with being a target during the early part of spring.

Chien Ming Wang agreed to a deal with the Washington Nationals today.  It’s for one-year and $2 million that includes $3 million is bonuses.

In swapping emails with our very own Amanda Orr, she believes the Nats could win 75 games this year.  After all, they’ve been very active this offseason signing Wang, Matt Capps, Eddie Guardado, Adam Kennedy, Jason Marquis, Scott Olsen, Pudge Rodriguez, Tyler Walker (our old friend), and Miguel Batista.  They’ve certainly done some maneuvering and are getting better slowly, so 75 wins is not out of the question.  That just makes it even more difficult for the Phillies in a slightly-better (on paper) NL East.

1. joepa

February 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Check out Ken Rosenthal’s article about the Phillies where he discusses the Lee trade, and the Phillies ability to sign Werth and Howard in the future.

I must say Ken is much more generous to RAJ on his decision to trade Cliff Lee than many of us on this site have been. The consensus on this site was even if trading Lee was in the Phillies best interest, we could have gotten a better deal if we shopped Lee around for a better offer. However, it was also said that having Lee/Halladay together for a few days, then trading Lee would have caused a mass mutiny – which I agree with. I tend to agree with Ken R – that RAJ deserves the benefit of the doubt.

2. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm

You tell that spritely little workhorse that if the Nationals win 75 games I will streak down Cottman avenue. My advice for Wang: Don’t tell anyone you’re Jewish.

The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm

This is great news all around! Looking forward to Bastardo, Romero, and Aumont in the future! And definitely looking forward to Wang pitch here in DC, hopefully he’ll suck against the Phillies and win games against everybody else!

4. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Ken Rosenthal is such a boob. He makes the case for trading Lee when he says, and I’m paraphrasing, you “can’t gamble on the short term potential over long term stability”. No Ken. Its the other way around. How many times have we heard countless G.M.s and coaches and players in every sport say that “when you have the shot to win it you have to go for it?” Not the other way around. One might ask, “You can’t worry about what’s going to happen three years down the road when you have the best team in baseball now.” Or something like that. Actually, its the future that is uncertain. You know what? Please stop inciting more Cliff Lee second guessing with these types of articles. The anger in some is still boiling to close to the surface. Oh, so we would have had to settle for like, picks 30 and 50 at worst for Lee when he left? Hey, fine by me. That, plus our pick, which will suck, but you will pull out a major leaguer out of those three picks, which is more than you can say about Aumont, Ramirez, and Gillies (although I like Gillies). Finally, can we stop citing Ken Rosenthal as a knowledgeable source about what is going on in baseball? He stinks. Not only that, but this article makes it clear that he is an Amaro lap dog, which is cool, just don’t try to hide it. Peter Gammons loves the BoSox, Hal Bodley loves Pete Rose. Its ok to be a homer, just man up about it. And Ken, never mind that the dealing of Lee is almost universally recognized by those outside the city limits of Philadelphia as a mistake.

The Dipsy

The Dipsy

5. Chuck

February 16, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I don’t care what anybody thinks of Ken Rosenthal (he’s not my favorite, either)…..THIS is a good article.

Anybody still doubting the Lee trade should read…and think about…this.

____

Dipsy…careful what you say…the Nationals ARE an improved team..

6. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 5:57 pm

2010 Cliff Lee and two 2011 1/2 round picks v. Aumont, Gillies, and Ramirez? I’ll take the former. Every day and twice on Sunday.

The Dipsy

7. The Second John

February 16, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Dipsy, you know the deal is much more complex than that.

I would’ve liked them to sign Wang and maybe become like a Chan Ho Park type of player?

8. Chuck

February 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Dipsy…I thought you were over it…I really did..

Obviously, you still can’t see past your nose on this one. I really don’t know what else to say..

If you want to be bitter and have “anger boiling close to the surface”….then fine…go ahead…

When this deal pans out…and I really feel it will in some way (and I’m not saying we’re gonna definitely win the World Series, either)…then let’s see what you…and everyone else says.

9. psujoe

February 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm

It’s clear RUbe shopped Blantan and got no decent offers. Once he resigned Blantan to a 3 year deal it all made sense. Let’s just hope Hamels is back, because I’m sure RUbe took that into consideration as our second ace.

10. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Me, being a fan, and Ruben, a general manager of a baseball team with all the experience and knowledge that goes with same, and everyone that thought as he, will have to agree to disagree about trading Lee. I understand RAJ’s rationale. I don’t think what he did was unconscienable (sp) or wrong. He picked a direction to go and I realize that reasonable minds can differ as to whether was that was was the right way. It really doesn’t make a difference to me what bag of bolts he got back. He did as good as he could have. It all was complex. I really HOPE he proves me wrong. I’m rooting for it, actually.

The Dipsy

11. Chuck

February 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm

How many HOURS (not days) til pitchers and catchers????

It alllllll goes away once things get rolling..

12. psujoe

February 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm

A moving fastball in the mid to high 90’s is an excellent weapon. I have high hopes for Aumonte.

13. Jeff

February 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love this team more then any of you slackers. We lost last year because of no pitching and no howard in the middle. same thing this year. sorry but its so true. dispy stick to what your good at. ok you can leave the house.

14. Chuck

February 16, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Jeff (in red)…

When I click on your name “Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage” appears..

Makes sense based on your idiotic post.

15. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Did I miss something?

The Dipsy

16. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 8:19 pm

How can I put my name in red?

The Dipsy

17. Chuck

February 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I think Jeff (in red) was referring to your “streaking down Cottman Ave” comment..

18. The Second John

February 16, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Hey Jeff (in red), what do you mean no Howard in the middle? Last year wasn’t a TOTAL failure you know? And what do you mean by no pitching, and it will happen again this year? We have a better rotation this year.

19. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 9:04 pm

SJ – Ryan got beat up by those lefties in the Series.

The Dipsy

20. WFC010

February 16, 2010 at 9:07 pm

WE WAS ROBBED…BY THE NATIONALS NO LESS!

I think that Wang is well worth the $2 million, considering he still has his stuff. The problem with him has been durability, but still he’d be worth the risk for $2 mil.

21. The Second John

February 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Dipsy: Got it. I thought he was referring to the entire season.

22. hov

February 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I’m an old phan of this site who doesn’t read as much anymore because I used to enjoy the conversation but it just got too stupid. I only return with one thing to say…Dipsy, drop the subject already. You’re the main reason I hardly ever come back here. Everyone knows you’re upset about the trade (I’m assuming you’ve been whining on here for a while). Not a pitch has been thrown since then so just shut up and let it pan out. Thanks!

23. The Dipsy

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Thanks hov – Now drag your IV to the couch and go back to sleep.

The Dipsy

24. Pat Gallen

February 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Hov, hope you come back now that the season is starting up. There will still be good conversation.

I’m pretty much over the Lee trade by now. But it WILL NOT GO AWAY. Not this season anyway, its just going to hang there unfortunately, so theres nothing any of us can do about it except talk about it occasionally. Sad. But true.

25. MikeB.

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 am

Yeh Phillies posters and fans, let us not post anything to get the Nationals all riled up for the coming season. They play the Phillies tough at times and the Nats are an improved ball club, so it has been said. The Phils have to play them right off the bat during the upcoming regular season. Let a sleeping horse lay, or however the saying goes.

26. NJ

February 17, 2010 at 4:50 am

Aumont may not be the pitcher Drabek is but the kids still a legit prospect, can’t wait to see how his stuff and command develops this year.

The Lee trade says the front office realises how important it is right now to ensure major league viable prospects going into the 2011 off-season so the window of opportunity doesn’t slam shut. Halladay/Lee would have been nice but those draft picks were going to be a year behind and a late first round at best meaning we’d have to go far over slot to try a get a top prospect.

As for the Nats they are an improved team but not because of Wang, the fact he signed much earlier than reports intended and was passed over by so many contending teams must say a lot about his health right now.

27. NJ

February 17, 2010 at 4:54 am

^And lets be realistic, to expect the Phillies to make a third straight World Series and win the championship as anything other would be considered failure if we’d kept Lee is unrealistic. It wasn’t the pitching that was bad against the Yanks, the bats squandered too many opportunities to take control of games. Trading Lee was the right move, not the move we wanted (me included) but the right one.

28. George

February 17, 2010 at 5:50 am

It’s “Let sleeping dogs lie,” in case anyone wanted to know. Even with Wang, the Nats probably aren’t a sleeping dog, they’re a dead dog. Better than last year by a significant margin, but still not ready for resurrection.

While I hope Wang recovers nicely from his shoulder woes (Except against the Phils) I can’t help but think of all those other players who haven’t: Kris Benson, Jason Schmidt, Jeff Bagwell. Even Scott Rolen has had troubles since his shoulder surgery. I’m sure there are many who have recovered successfully, but it seems to take a lot of time; more time than elbow injuries. And Wang has had foot and hip problems, too.

As far as being worth the $2 million risk, he probably wasn’t for the Phils, who needed contributors immediately. Another starter would be nice, but Wang won’t be ready until May. The Nats are rebuilding; they can afford to wait. The Phils aren’t rebuilding, and can’t wait.

29. Chuck

February 17, 2010 at 7:04 am

hov Says…”I used to enjoy the conversation but it just got too stupid”

Actually, I like the conversation on here …AND find it very entertaining at times.. I mean where else can you go on a cold-ass day in the middle of the winter and be able to talk about baseball and have a few laughs doing it?

30. bfo_33

February 17, 2010 at 7:10 am

Good news on Romero and Aumont. Decent article from Rosenthal. One point I thought was interesting was the back door shot at Ruiz and Blanton. Signing “an average player long term”? I’d agree he’s average offensively, and while not a Molina, Ruiz is quite a bit better than average defensively. His ability to block pitches allows all but Lidge to throw a breaking ball with guys on base. Maybe he’s not upper tier (Mauer, Piersinski, Y Molina), but int he argument for top of the 2nd tier (with McCann, Montero, Suzuki). Not even sure Posada can be called a catcher anymore – he’ll probably DH more than catch (still a dangerous bat, but he’s never been a good catcher, age has made him a liability). Big Joe may have average stuff, but he’s out there every 5th day and rarely gets shelled. Both signed 3 yr deals – when did that become long term?
    Nats caught a break on the interleague schedule (BAl, Cle, KC,CWS). I don’t think they’ll lose 100 games, and they’ll score runs, but that is a rough pitching staff – hard to see them winning 75. Wang was a good pick up for them – they need a starter. I think the Phils did better with Contreras – more versatile (start or pen, maybe less upside, but much less downside).

31. Chuck

February 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

Ruiz is one of my favorite Phillies…even if he is being called “average”..

I’ll take his fight and grit any day….the way he handles the pitchers, blocks balls MORE than makes up for his lower batting average…Besides, in the postseason the guy is CLUTCH..

Not everybody on the team needs to be a .300 hitter.

32. bfo_33

February 17, 2010 at 8:13 am

I don’t consider myself a “Homer”. While I root for the Phils, there are guys who bug me at times, either due to mental mistakes, lack of perceived effort, or lack of situational hitting. Ruiz is also one of my favorite players, and I think his extension was the best off-season deal by Amaro (while a great signing, Doc forced Toronto’s hand, Rube had very little to do there except make sure he kept Brown). As pointed out by several people in other posts, you can’t judge true value until well into a contract, but basing it on what other comparables are making at the time, the Ruiz extension was truly a win-win.

33. Kevin

February 17, 2010 at 8:39 am

I agree with Amanda – I can see the Nats with around 75 wins – and maybe finishing in 4th place this year.

34. NJ

February 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

It really frustrates me sometimes when some baseball writes and columnists are so over focused on every deal the bigger picture gets lost.

Ruiz is going to be making about the same as a bench guy like Alex Cora in his ‘money years’ and has shown a growing ability to be make pitchers work in his ABs which helps the team. With Blanton it’s very simple, you tie up a guy who can eat innings and stay healthy and not be forced to go to the market and pay more for less for a starting pitcher for three years, is it a good deal on its own? No, when it means you have 4/5 of your rotation locked up for 3 years it is a shrewd deal.

When your a team like the Phillies with so much talent its stupid to expect to bring in numbers guys because there’s only so much to go around, Amaro’s done a hell of a job adding guys that should make the stars more productive and that’s what matters.

Might be in a minority but have to say these Seattle guys excite the hell out of me as much as a kid like Trevor May.

The Nats are still going to finish last, the Braves and Marlins should contend and the Mets should at the very least be near the 80 win mark.

35. Bill

February 17, 2010 at 9:49 am

While I understand the Phillies wanting Aumont as a starter, I would prefer to see if he could be a set up man for the club this year. With his fastball he could certainly help Madson get the ball to Lidge.

I think the Phillies should use Aumont the way the Yankees used Joba Chamberlain. If he can make the team in the pen, he could have success in a short role which would give him the confidence to move into the rotation.

36. Don M

February 17, 2010 at 10:01 am

Wow i missed a lot here the past day..

Nationals will not win 75 games.. they have NO PITCHING at all.. there lineup is much improved, but everyone that throws the ball for them sucks..

There was a different article that I read yesterday (i foget where).. but it basically said that the stadium is 100% sold out all the time.. they are pretty much as popular as they will ever be and can’t imagine their revenue going much higher . . . so instead of “crapping-out” . . . they wanted to extend the chance at having a competitive team, and thought that getting 3 solid prospects was a good way to do that

Phillies are said to be stretching Aumont back out to be a starter.. I’m guessing he will be Roy Halladay’s shadow this spring

37. Don M

February 17, 2010 at 10:02 am

Yankees have screwed Joba Chamberlain to the point of no return … they still don’t know if they want him as a starter or not .

same thing with Phil Hughes . . . I pray to god the Phillies dont do that with any meaningful prospects

38. The Original Chuck P

February 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

Signing Ruiz for “average” money is very forward thinking, in my opinion… given that he’s under control and was only seeking $2.5 million, they may have overpaid but the trend in baseball right now is to pay for premium defense and Ruiz is certainly a defensive stud… lock him up for three years and what seems to be an average salary and keep him happy.

I’m really happy to hear about Aumont and Romero… although, I’d feel much better if Romero wasn’t still dealing with this injury. It seems like this thing has been nagging forever… not sure what to think about that.

The Natinals always seem to be inching in the right direction but never seem to put anything together… they make futile attempts to sign legitimate ballplayers but always seem to come up on the short end of the stick and so they wind up with a lot of role players… I mean, their lineup looks like this…

1. N. Morgan,
    2. C. Guzman,
    3. R. Zimmerman,
    4. A. Dunn,
    5. J. Willingham,
    6. I. Rodriguez
    7. E. Dukes,
    8. A. Kennedy

Does that lineup really scare you? Their #2 starter is John Lannan…

We’re good enough with or without Cliff Lee to win now… we’re better off with Roy that we were without him. We will be better in the future because we traded Lee. Trading Lee allowed us to lock up a few players for the forseeable future and hopefully increases our chances of keeping this group of players in Philly. Let it go.

February 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

Wang seems like a good signing but how many wins above whoever he replaces will he give the Nats? I’m thinking one or two.. especially since he’ll only be able to pitch half a season or so…

75 wins for the Nats is a lot… cause teams gotta lose.. .and if the Nats aren’t losing, then who is?? I just hope they lose less than 100, that’s a more reasonable expectation.

40. joedad

February 17, 2010 at 10:20 am

Aren’t there enough wangs in Washington already?

41. WFC010

February 17, 2010 at 10:38 am

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I actually find Aumont to be a more intriguing prospect than Drabek in some respects. While Drabek is closer to the Majors and more of a finished product, Aumont is a bit rawer but with more potential career paths(as a starter or closer). Both guys have sky high potential, but Aumont is certainly a guy that is under-rated by too may people who write him off as “junk” or something like that. Aumont has the potential to be just as amazing as a guy like Drabek, and i’m tired of people claiming he sucks or that the Phillies could have got more for Lee. We get 3 VERY LEGIT prospects, who all have the chance to help us a lot sooner than any of the guys we would have drafted for letting Lee walk. So please, everyone needs to shut up and let us watch how the prospects develop before writing them off as junk.

42. Pat Gallen

February 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

I guess I can admit 75 might be a tad high for the Nats. They won 59 last year, so would 16 games be a stretch? I think 70 is doable. They just have to be smart and scrappy and I think they can be. Basically, just don’t sleep on them.

43. Pat Gallen

February 17, 2010 at 10:45 am

WFC010: I too am intrigued by Aumont. He’s a big boy with a power arm, much different than the smaller Drabek. Let’s hope he can put it all together in Reading this year. I expect some hiccups but Aumont should be at the very least a #3.

44. The Original Chuck P

February 17, 2010 at 11:02 am

WFC- you are probably the only one who feels this way.

Drabek is the better prospect… at one point (maybe as recently as the start of 2009), Aumont was probably the considered the better prospect but that was mainly because of Drabek’s health concerns. Since then, Aumont has been the one with health concerns and Drabek’s stuff has emerged as some of the best in the minor leagues. Aumont, in my opinion, needs to work on his innings/conditioning (which might also require a mechanical tune-up)… he has a good fastball and the frame to be a real workhorse. The “stuff” will come… but he has to be dependable. At 6’7″, 220 lbs, he needs to be a starter… Drabek, on the other hand, is a pedigree and his stuff is electric already. His mechanics have been fixed… but the elbow concerns won’t go away. Aumont is 2 years younger than Drabek… hopefully they exercised proper due diligence examining the hip. All in all, Drabek is further along with world class stuff. Aumont has a world class frame and should develop the stuff… here’s a vid of Aumont on the mound.

45. Don M

February 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

Their lineup isn’t the scariest in baseball … but its better than a lot of NL teams

They remind me of last year’s Orioles .. going into the season you knew they would score, but you knew they would be outscored … losing a lot of 8-6 games, etc..

Nationals will put runs on the board and get some wins, anything over 70 would be a GREAT season for them.. i just dont see them approaching .500% with that pitching staff

I’m so tired of hearing about Lee … the negative, the positive, the what-ifs, and could have’s.. the should have’s.. and I would have’s

I am officially tired of Cliff Lee, and can’t wait to see the guys on our team go out pitch, and for our fans to be 100% behind guys like Cole Hamels and Joe Blanton …. guys who brought us our first CHAMPIONSHIP in many of our lifetimes. Something that i will never forget!!!

46. Don M

February 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

Drabek ain’t exactly Cy Young . . . he’s a good prospect, probably billed a little higher because of his dad

People want him to be good . . .

I wish we still had him because he looks like he could be a very good top-to-middle of the rotation starter .. . but King Phillippe has a chance to be that too

47. Ed 2

February 17, 2010 at 11:29 am

Chuck P: The #7 guy in that lineup is very scary. Whether it be assault, battery, rape, or various paternity suits hes not exactly one of those fun character guys you hear about on good teams. And I think everyone is still afraid of John Lannan and his hand breaking velocity

48. Chuck

February 17, 2010 at 11:29 am

Who’s Lee??

49. The Original Chuck P

February 17, 2010 at 11:30 am

Drabek’s stuff is filthy… that’s why I like him. I don’t want him to be good because of his dad but if he has his dad’s mental makeup than he has the potential to be good. How much does that matter? I don’t know. You are right when you say that Phillippe has a chance to be that good, too… but he’s two years younger and further away. The key point is that we did not get peanuts for Lee. It seemed like a quick decision but maybe there’s more to this Aumont kid than we all thought.

50. WFC010

February 17, 2010 at 11:34 am

The Original Chuck P:

I agree that as it currently stands, Drabek is the better prospect…BUT I feel that Aumont certainly has the potential to be nearly as good if not just as good. What really upsets me is when people claim the 3 prospects we got from the Mariners are junk, when all 3 of them are loaded with tons of potential. The only thing that upset me about either trade is losing Kyle Drabek. Could you imagine a Phillies farm system that had both Drabek AND Aumont? That would be some absolutely devastating potential right there.

51. The Original Chuck P

February 17, 2010 at 11:36 am

Ed R… at first glance, I thought that you were being serious. Dukes batted .250 with 8 HR last year… he stole 3 bases and was caught 10 times. .965 fielding percentage… career .771 OPS in three seasons. Overrated ballplayer and a terrible person, to boot… but I guess he’s scary when you consider his rap sheet.

52. The Original Chuck P

February 17, 2010 at 11:46 am

WFC… I agree with you 100%. That was the final point that I made (they’re far from “junk”). If Rube felt like he needed to replenish the farm, I think that he did a solid job of that. Could he have done better, maybe… but he got the deal done. If they could have kept Drabek, we all would have been happy… as it stands, we’ve got Aumont and he has great potential.

53. Chuck

February 17, 2010 at 11:46 am

That’s what some of us were trying to say all along….that the Lee deal was not only necessary….but NOT a snap, reckless decision. No way did we get “junk” in return.

I, too, would have LOVED to have seen Drabek here…I was bummed, to say the least, to learn that he was included in the trade… BUT I got over it quickly knowing what we got….and how much BETTER our team is in the long-run.

54. Don M

February 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

I got over it quickly, as I looked at it as: we got Roy Halladay.. while keeping Domonic Brown

Brown, who will now be very closely watched as a possible/probable successor to Jayson Werth (which makes me angry, but its a business, and so i understand)

55. Chuck

February 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Just looked at some of those Youtube videos of Aumont…he’s got some nasty stuff..

February 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Lee is a stud… and I was very pissed to see him go unexpectedly, but hopefully the deal will work out as Amaro and Co. have planned and at least one of those three prospects we got will contribute in the major leagues in the future. Actually, it could all work out VERY WELL if Lee has a “down” year after throwing so many innings last season and postseason (somewhat likely I’d say…)

57. Andrew

February 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I wonder if romero will ever be what he was in 2008. Minus whatever he was taking that got him suspended. I am not holding my breath. I would love to see him be good but I am not counting on it.

Will we ever stop the chirping about the lee trade? The GM cant deal 8 of his top ten farm hands in 6 months. He needs to replenish that some. Its his job and livelyhood to make this team competetive every year. Was a good deal coupled with the Halladay deal. I know they arent related I am saying getting prospects after trading some makes sense to me.

58. The Second John

February 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

The Nationals offense was pretty good last year, but it was the pitching that let them down. They are probably not gonna be a 75 win team, but they’re definitely not gonna be terrible as they were last year.

59. bfo_33

February 18, 2010 at 7:22 am

Heard on Mad Dog radio last night – over/under for wins from Vegas:
    Nats – 65 1/2 (I’d take over)
    Sea – 79-1/2 (Over also)
    Mets – 89-1/2 (seems very high with all the ? – take under)
    Phils – 89-12 (take over)
    Atl – 82-1/2 (depends on whether JJ is injured,pick-em right now for me)

There were a few other interesting ones, but I don’t remember them all. Have to lookup the lines later today. Vegas is surprisingly optimisitc on the Mets. I know Vegas has a lot more resources than I do, and their earnings depend on getting it right, but I still don’t see it. I think they’ll be lucky to get 82 wins, put the over/under at 80-1/2.

60. The Dipsy

February 18, 2010 at 7:33 am

So basically, Vegas thinks that the Mets and Phils are dead even. Interesting. The guys in Vegas are pretty sharp. Johan must be healthy. I just don’t see it though.

The Dipsy

61. Chuck

February 18, 2010 at 8:06 am

I’m surprised by the Seattle prediction. 79 is low….with all the changes they’ve made.

62. psujoe

February 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

I don’t think the line indicates the Mets an the Phillies are dead even. I think the Mets number is high because a gazillion Mets fans would skew the over if the number was realistic. It’s all about getting even money on both sides of the number.

63. Don M

February 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I dont think Seattle is that good. .. still lacks offense

I like the Rangers, and the Angels still out there, and I kinda think they’ll all be packed tightly, all around .500

and whoever is the healthiest wins the AL WEST

I wouldn’t touch the NATIONALS at 65 . .

I would go UNDER METS
    OVER PHILLIES
    OVER BRAVES

Mets are still a nasty team.. they have talented pitchers who had down years last year (or are they just not good pitchers?) .. but they still have Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, David Wright, Jason Bay . .Chris Coste . . I dont think they’ll win 90 games, but they should be at-or-over 81

64. WFC010

February 18, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Apparently even Vegas has a New York bias!

No matter how many awful moves the Mets make, they are still favorites to win the division?

65. Chuck

February 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’ll go out on a limb and predict (I really hate predictions) that Seattle will win the AL West….in SPITE of Cliff Lee…but , yeah, you’re probably right…84-85 wins tops. They’re hardly a juggernaut.

Nationals 63-99
    Mets 79-83
    Marlins 84-78
    Braves 87-75
    Phillies 95-67

(What an idiot…I just realized I put the NL standings in REVERSE order!!)

66. Don M

February 18, 2010 at 2:48 pm

the more I think about it … No chance the Mets are under .500

We are really, really, really thinking low on them . . . they have All-Stars at numerous positions

67. WFC010

February 18, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I expect the Mets to finish at .500 or over, but anything more than that…

68. Chuck

February 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm

So then the real drama in the NL East is who finishes SECOND…Mets Braves and Marlins could all be bunched within a few games of each other…low to mid-80’s in wins.

I guess after last year…and the two collapses down the stretch the previous two years…it’s easy to get lulled into the thinking that the Mets really suck..

When in reality they DO have potential to wins games and be a pain in the ass.

69. WFC010

February 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

The Mets have potential, but their pitching rotation is awful besides Santana. Unless they do incredible offensively, it’s hard to imagine them winning the division.

70. Don M

February 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I still think the Marlins suck . . .

Josh Johnson is the Cole Hamels of 2009 . . the increased innings, and financial security will throw him for a loop this season

the rest of their guys are always injured (Sanchez).. or remind me of Brett Myers, where they are just as likely to walk 10, as they are to Strikeout 10 (Ricky Nolasco)

I think the Braves are VERY good. . . and I think the Mets will in fact be a pain all year long

71. bfo_33

February 18, 2010 at 3:31 pm

The Mets right now remind me of the Phils in early 2000s – talent, but so many ifs. If Beltran, and more importantly, Reyes are healthy, Bay flourishes at the plate and plays adequte D, Wright gets some confidence back at the plate, Perez, Pelfry, et al pitch decent (not CY Young like, but Blanton like, which is a tall task for a group that can’t find the plate), Castillo gets his legsback, they find an mlb catcher, Murphy/Tatis play decent defense, get on base, Francouer hits the whole year like it is April,…., they could battle for the division. They need an awful lot to break right, though. It seems like the Braves and Marlins only need a few things to improve (Braves need a healthy Chipper, Marlins need a pen and defensive improvement) to be in the picture. I think the Mets, Braves, and Marlins will flip flop through the year, but will probably finish per Chuck’s rank above.

72. Vernon Dozier

February 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Beyond Santana, the Mets have an awful starting rotation. They have a revolving collection of chuckleheads at 1B, C, and 2B. There’s no guarantee that Beltran will ever play another game or that Reyes will remain healthy. David Wright is fresh off one of the most amazing power outages (at least one that can’t be tied to injury or PEDs) in recent memory. I’ll refrain from pronouncing that Francoeur is over his 2008 tailspin solely on the basis of two good months in 2009. Let’s be realistic, the Braves and Marlins are both better than the New York Mets.

73. Don M

February 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Johan Santana is nasty..

John Maine has a career 4.22 ERA .. 28 years old

Mike Pelfrey has a career 4.58 ERA (thanks to last year’s 5.03) .. but in 2008 he had an ERA 3.72 … so which pitcher is he? The way he’s dominated the Phillies bats in the past, I think he’s legit. And he just turned 26 so he’s yet to enter his prime

Jon Neise is 23, really unproven, but has potential

that’s 4 pretty legit guys that are all capable of winning 12-15 games .. obviously more for Santana

But with every team, staying healthy will be key for them . . . I dont think they make the playoffs, but I think that they are far from TERRIBLE like they were last year

74. Vernon Dozier

February 18, 2010 at 9:14 pm

The Mets are a fourth place team.

75. Andrew

February 18, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Vegas makes odds on trying to get people to bet it is nto a reflection of how good a team is. Teams like the mets and cowboys and yankees always take more action than they deserve so you can actually make money betting against them.

76. Gregg Zaneski

June 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Your RSS feed doesn’t work in my browser (Opera 9) how can I fix it? I would love to subscribe to your feed 🙂