Spring Training Odds and Ends: Rollins, Lidge – Phillies Nation
Posts

Spring Training Odds and Ends: Rollins, Lidge

-Will J-Roll predict the future once again?  Apparently, not this year.  In Matt Gelb’s piece in the Inquirer today, Rollins shied away from his usual pre-season prognostication.  However, he did point out that he wants to steal 50 bases, score 150 runs, and hit .300.

I can see 50 steals.  With Davy Lopes at first, why the hell not.  One-hundred and fifty runs? That feat has been accomplished just 46 times in MLB history, the last coming in 2000 compliments of Jeff Bagwell. If Rollins touches home 150 times, then he certainly should be well above .300. And if that happens, look out, he could be the next MVP.  I’ll temper my expectations with Jimmy, because he was just average a year ago.  I do believe he’ll be better, but .300/150/50? Not so sure.

-Brad Lidge kicked his spring off on Monday by throwing 20 pitches off of a mound for the first time since offseason knee and elbow surgery.  Today, he watched.  As Phillies pitchers took fielding practice, Lidge peered from the sidelines as he’ll take it slow in his recovery process. The Phils closer is scheduled to pitch again tomorrow, but he said he feels completely pain free so far. Good sign.

-Jamie Moyer, too, is chomping at the bit to get healthy and to pitch again ASAP. The ageless one was able to take fielding practice with his mates today as he recovers nicely from  multiple surgeries this offseason.

It’s great to see Moyer healthy again, but lets be honest, he’s no longer someone who excites us as a part of the rotation.  He will have to work to get his spot back, as Kyle Kendrick and others want that coveted #5 spot.  But as far as his health goes, glad to see him nearing 100 percent.

-And for the news everyone wants to hear: Roy Halladay will throw tomorrow!  He’ll toss to a group of Phillies that will include Chase Utley and Raul Ibanez, although it’s rare they swing.  But come on, that just sounds cool.

Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News broke down the Phillies for upcoming season and sees them in a rematch with the Yankees in the Fall Classic. He also sees them losing.  Hard to argue with the first part of that statement. But I’d bet there are many of you who take issue with his selection of the Yanks for back-to-back titles.

1. Phylan

February 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm

It’s good to have goals, but the 50 SB thing kind of worries me. Jimmy’s career success rate is around 83%, which is well above the 70ish% break even rate. But if he’s trying to steal 19 more bases than he did last year, by definition he’s going to be taking off trying to steal in situations that are less advantageous, and that success rate is going to go down to something less optimal. He did steal 46 and only get caught 8 times in 2001, but he was a lot younger then.

Oh and Davey Lopes should stop sending Ryan Howard. Forever.

2. jacob

February 24, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Rollins won’t reach those numbers, but I don’t expect him to falter out of the starting gate like he did last year. But the MVP won’t be in his reach. .280/115/35. At best.

Lidge can’t be worse than last year. 35 saves, 6-8 blown. Expect Charlie to have a bit of a quicker trigger finger on pulling him this year. Also, it would be wise to just have him brought in for 1-2 outs, not 3. And don’t expect to ever see any 3+ out situations, at least not unless he establishes dominance from day one.

Moyer… love him. He looks like my dad. And my Dad’s 62. Spot starts are the best we can hope for.

Halladay – better be worth the hype. League switches favor pitchers usually, and he is a premier pitcher. Him and Lee would have been a god-send though.

No offense to the Yanks, but I don’t think there is a team hungrier, and in better position to make the WS and win than this team. Their success has not bred complacency. Rather, I expect them to blast out of the gate in April, making long strides ahead of the NL East competition. And we’ve seen that the rest of the NL doesn’t have what it takes to beat them in the post-season. The Yankees would need another magical Series to take them again in a best of 7 championship series, and they don’t have it.

3. bob

February 25, 2010 at 12:05 am

yea…why would anyone think the yankees could repeat…they only have a better if not equal lineup , better pitching stuff, and clearly a better bullpen then the phillies

4. Whizwithout

February 25, 2010 at 12:48 am

u dont know what kinda injuries the yankees could get or who could come up as a surprise in the playoffs against them. the phillies lineup is better than last yr n even healthier. if we get hamels 08 or better and lidge comes thru, we WILL beat the yankees or whatever AL team goes to the WS

5. Gregm

February 25, 2010 at 3:29 am

The Phillies still have at least 162 games to get to the Postseason. Let’s not reserve our World Series tickets just yet. Those same injuries that could plague the Yankees could also get the Phillies just easily. Hopefully not, but don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.

6. Bob

February 25, 2010 at 8:39 am

(The non-NY Bob)

I dont know who has more a of sense of entitlement: Yankees fans or Canadian hockey fans.

We get it, the Yanks are the champs and as we know to be the best you have to beat the best. It would be nice for one of these Yankee fans that come here to acknowledge how tough a WS run is, no matter how good your team is.

7. Pat Gallen

February 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

We could just give the Yankees the title now…save us all from embarassment, since theyll likely go 154-8 and then coast through the postseason too. Their lefties will bat right, their righties will bat left, their pitchers will throw underhand for fun…and they’ll still win.

Anyway, I actually think the Red Sox are positioned to take them down this season. And yes, I’m worried about the Red Sox.

8. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 9:20 am

Positive Thoughts!

1st- Great Report! this is the stuff I think we all agree that we want to hear.

2nd- If Rollins says that those are his goals I am 100% behind him cause if he steals 50 bases and hits 300 with 150 runs that means Utley/Howard/Werth have career years, unless the 19 more stolen bases are home.

3rd- good to see Lidge pain free good good good

4th Moyer chomping at the bit is good, competition is awesome wanna see them fight it our for the last rotation spot.

5th- Why be so critical, negative, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it? I am so excited for baseball and the Phillies. My hopes are up and they should be! We have won 3 straight divisions 2 NL championships 1 WS best last 5-6 years in Phillies History.

I have been feeling the last several months and many of you know me cause I post alot here that many are just wanting to look at the negative of everything this team does, sorry the above record allows me to be an optimist and trust this organization!

Lets rally behind this team and enjoy the ride!!!

Go Phils

9. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 9:32 am

Jeff of Nova…

Put me in the “positive” camp….along with the likes of George, Don M, shag beta, Original Chuck P, Manny (most of the time), of course Pat, Ed R, Bob (the non-NY one), et al…..I’m sure I’m missing many…

(Note: I’d love to put Dipsy in this group…. he’s not really negative…..but you all get my drift….)

Glad you decided to stay Jeff of Nova….yesterday you sounded like a beaten man. I understand…..some of these posts are stupid and ridiculous…..and oh so negative….

Let’s all just try to get behind our Phillies….it’s a new season, Spring Training is under way, and the prognosis for our team has never been better to start the new season.

February 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

Pat: I also see the Red Sox giving the Yankees a tough time in the division.. and they could be the ones in the WS. I just see an improved Red Sox team who’s hungry now (hungrier than usual) to take the Yankees down.

On Halladay, I read something on MLB.com that said that he has never swung a bat, that he needs to learn how to bunt, stuff like that. J-roll was joking that they’ll miss Cliff’s two-out doubles… As someone who likes NL pitchers that can hit, I really hope Roy learns how to hit/bunt/run the bases –without getting injured. I know I worry too much… but he’s freaking Roy Halladay… he better be healthy all the time cause we’re gonna need him!

11. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 9:57 am

I think Rollins (with a better lineup behind him), will get lots of fastballs to hit all season. . . pitchers will want to go right after, not nibble-and put him on base for the big guys

and Polanco is a tougher out than Victorino . . Utley is healthy. . .Howard is a beast

I don’t know about J-Roll hitting .300.. but with a career .274 batting average . . I could see him in the .280, .285 range this year

In 2007, he scored 139 Runs . . . but he had 716 At-Bats … I could see Rollins somewhere around 130 Runs scored. . and 50 Steals would be a stretch, but with a pure contact-hitter in Polanco.. he’ll have the confidence not to worry about a Stike-Him-Out—-Throw-Him-Out DOUBLE PLAY

So I see Rollins with more steals too

I would say Jimmy Rollins, .285 average, 130 Runs, 40 Steals.. wouldn’t be that much of a stretch . . and I think that his goals aren’t unreachable

12. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

eventhough my opinion doesn’t count for jacksh!ht on here… I had great idea

what if .. you guys linked our roster, to a Baseball Reference page, or the Yahoo, or MLB player profile page.. of each player

I just had to open a new window, go to Yahoo, search for Jimmy Rollins..and check all his stats . . maybe you could even link such a page to where the player’s are listed by salary ??

just a thought.. a little more all-in-one on the website, holler

13. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 10:02 am

Chuck,
    Yeah I agree! There are a lot of the positive group. Lets keep it going!

Looking forward to a fun season

Hey Brian,

When do we get info on Fantasy baseball

14. Pat Gallen

February 25, 2010 at 10:03 am

Don M, can’t really divulge too much info, but we are working on some big things…

15. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 10:05 am

You should never bet against this team…

First, Rollins will have a better season… he almost has to because it really couldn’t have been much worse. Maybe him turning the focus on himself is a good thing. In the past, he has done that and been successful.

Second, Lidge is really important this season… we’re not going to win anything if he is as bad as he was last season. As long as there has been “closers,” I don’t know if there has ever been a team in baseball that has made it to a World Series with a closer as bad as Lidge was in 2009.

3rd – Yankees are marginally better… I don’t think Granderson will live up to his contract. Defensively, he’s not that good. He’s dog dirt terrible against lefties… he hit .183 against lefties in 2009 (to put that in perspective, Howard hit .207. Granderson’s power numbers jumped (hitting 30 HR in ’09) but everything else fell. For what it’s worth, they’re going to miss Johnny Damon and they may have gotten Nick Johnson too late (they’ve seemingly wanted him for years)… what scares me more than anything is the addition of Vazquez. He’s not a big game player but he’ll eat innings and should help save some arms.

Lastly… Halladay. I think that I’m going to end every post from here until the end of the season with that. Halladay…

16. DrMagnificent

February 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

The Red Sox are looking very good this year. With the addition of Lackey I’d say they’re rotation is certainly on par if not better than the Yankees. And Beltre will give them a boost…I wish we had signed him instead of Polanco but whatever.

And Rollins’ aggressiveness on the basepaths kind of worries me. That kind of ambitiousness could make for some poor decisions on when to run.

Overall, I haven’t been a huge fan of the Phillies running game. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense with a power hitting lineup like we have. While I feel Davey Lopes does a good job, I disagree with almost always giving players a green light. While we have speed at the top of the lineup, I find it extremely aggravating when Rollins or Victorino risk making an out when Chase Utley is at the plate, who is likely to hit an extra base hit that plates a guy from first anyway, or walk, making the steal worthless. Risking an out with an attempted steal when you have a guy with a near .400 OBP at the plate just makes no sense at all.

I know fans tend to favor the “Gotta be aggressive!” mantra, but it often doesn’t make practical sense.

17. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 10:43 am

Think about this as far as the Red Sox having success this year. and “giving the Yankees a hard time”…..and the ramifications it could have on the Phillies….

Say the Sox give the Yankees a real run….say they get to the WS and fall short….or even deep into the playoffs and fall short…..they’re one or two pieces away from winning it all.

Enter into the picture Jayson Werth….you know…..the one that will be due a BIG payday.

Werth has the desire to WIN…he won here…..he now sees it again with the Sox….and the Red Sox have the $$$$.

Not that the Phillies aren’t winners and contenders…..not that the Phillies don’t want him….and not that Werth doesn’t like it here….he can stay, play for a winner, and make really good money.

Or he can go to the Red Sox….the team that’s one or two pieces away from it all…and make REALLY, REALLY good money.

I’m not saying that Werth might not go to someplace like Boston anyway….but the fact that they might be poised for winning it all could be just enough to push him out the door.

18. Brett

February 25, 2010 at 10:55 am

I could definitely see Werth being big in Boston…

19. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 10:57 am

Rollins has had a few seasons with more than 40 steals before . . so its not like he’s saying he wants 100 steals and he’ll be running no matter what

Pat Gallen . . give us hints

20. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 11:00 am

Yea I said that before Boston was interested in Holliday and Bay this year …. you know that they’ll be interested in Werth or Crawford next year

the other teams that have interest in Werth would probably be the Cubs, Angels, maybe even the Dodgers with Manny departing (but I can’t see him going back to LA)

San Francisco needs some offense.. . ..

if Werth doesn’t stay here, I hope he goes to a city that will appreciate him . . like Boston or Chicago … not just chasing money somewhere that doesn’t love baseball

21. DrMagnificent

February 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

Yeah the Red Sox would definitely pose a threat to snatch up Werth next year. Ellsbury’s contract is up this after 2010, correct? Werth would be a huge upgrade over Ellsbury, and I think Theo Epstein is plenty smart enough to realize Jacoby’s defense is hugely over rated.

The only way I feel the Phils can resign Werth is to trade Howard next off season. I know this is a touchy subject, but signing Howard to a mega contract is a huge concern of mine. I know I’m not the only one with reservations about that huge swing suffering with age.

Yeah, basically the Ibanez, Lidge contracts are primed to bite us in the ass big time next year.

22. fan since birth

February 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

1. JImmy Rollins wont get 50 steals i think his numbers are .275/12/75/79/36. He isnt on base enough to get 50 steals.

2. Brad Lidge will be a ride like always I think he projects to 2-4/4.25/65games/ 32 sv/ 38 chances still 6 blown saves. He will be way better then last year so thats a plus.

3. Jamie Moyer will not be the 5th starter. Kendrick is going to take that spot I think. If I were the Phillies I would cut Moyer at the end of spring cause he isnt going to be productive enough to be worthy of a roster spot.

4. Roy Halladay- I have seen this guy pitch at Baltimore and he is astonishingly good. He donest miss his mark and when he does the hitter is so fooled they swing. He will be as advertised and will be a anchor to me in a rotaion that will be one of the best in the NL this season. I project hallday at 19-5 2.99era 221.1ip and 11 CG. He will throw lots of low effort complete games vs marlins, nationals, pirates and maybe the mets.

5. World Series predicton by sporting news of Yankees over Phillies. I think that the Phillies are a lock to make it but the AL has a few teams that are going to compete for it, The Redsox have the pitching but lack the offense, the Mariners have the Pitching but no Offense and the darkhorse to have a Rays like run in 08 is the Texas Rangers. They have a dynamic offense and some good young pitching. just a hunch but they might make the west race intresting or not and I’ll look back at this post and go man im Dumb. I think the Phillies this year matchup better with out feliz who strikes out alot and victorinio lower. The NL has no competeiton for the Phightins, Dodgers 3 peat of NLCS loses to us would be embarassing. I think the Phillies play the Redsoxs and win this year.

23. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 11:06 am

Chuck P

I love that ending I may follow in your steps.

I am actually curious to see how Kendrick does this spring, I am excited to see what he has worked on the last offsesason and last year.

Also curious to see how Happ comes out of a tremendous Rookie year.

I think the sky is the limit for this 1-8 lineup

Also what is everyone’s prediction on the bullpen

I am thinking

Closer
    Lidge
    Setup
    Madson

Contreras
    Romero (DL) to start
    Mathieson
    Durbin
    Moyer
    Baez

I know that leaves 4 on the bench. I think Mathieson is going to be an impact pitcher in the pen.

If Moyer is in the rotation then I will suspect they go 5 on the bench and put Kendrick in AAA( he is not a bullpen guy at this point)

Starting 8

Rollins
    Polanco
    Utley
    Howard
    Werth
    Ibanez
    Victorino
    Ruiz

Bench
    Dobbs
    Schneider
    Francisco
    Gload
    Castro or Mayberry depends on their direction of what they want

Starting 5
    Halladay
    Hamels
    Blanton
    Happ
    Kendrick

Anyway that is what I got for a roster

And of course I end with

Happy Halladay:)

24. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

Lopes won’t let Rollins be overagressive…

25. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 11:20 am

That’s my point…..that Werth COULD, SHOULD play for a winner….and not just the team….but the city. Boston and Chicago exemplify that perfectly….along with Philly.

But it’s more than just any “winner”…..it’s a winner that’s “on the door” of winning it all….Boston could be that team.

Just like “fan since birth” mentions above…. “Red Sox have the pitching but lack the offense.” Werth could be the answer to that for them.

——

Davey Lopes may not let Rollins be “overaggresive”……but I think Lopes is smart enough to let Rollins take more chances than he might with someone else. Rollins has the experience and tenure to warrant that level of respect from the coaching staff.

26. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 11:26 am

Im pretty sure Ellsbury is under Red Sox team-control for like 3 more years . . . maybe he becomes arbitration eligable after this season? But that only means that he has a chance to say how much money he’s worth, and what he wants his salary to be.

On the Bench: . . . Castro over Mayberry without a doubt. They got him because every team NEEDS to have a defensive player.

I was big on the Rangers last year, and I still like them this year.. they should definitely have the offense to compete. But it all depends on their young pitching. Neftali Feliz is the real deal, but i dont know if they are making him a starter again or not? The loss of Kevin Milwood might hurt them for a while, but Nolan Ryan is in charge there now, and he’s not worried about pitch-counts and stuff . . he’s trying to get some BULLS in his pitching staff

I think the Rockies are really, really, really, really dangerous this year

27. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 11:35 am

1. Jacoby Ellsbury
    2. Dustin Pedroia
    3. Kevin Youkilis
    4. Victor Martinez
    5. David Ortiz
    6. Adrian Beltre
    7. J.D. Drew
    8. Mike Cameron
    9. Marco Scutarro

LACK OF OFFENSE ???????

I just came up with this scenario in my head, but here it goes:

I could easily see the RedSox going hard after Jayson Werth to take over to J.D. Drew . . . .who they could shift to DH for David Ortiz…

The RedSox have a $12.5 M option for Ortiz, they still owe Drew $28 M total over the next two seasons . . . He isn’t great in the field to begin with, and he’s often battling injury. So why not move him to DH, get better in the OF, and let Drew focus only on his hitting

damn.. Werth’s gonna be gone

28. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 11:47 am

Thanks for painting that nice, rosy picture, Don…..of course, I started off by mentioning Werth wanting (?) going to Boston in the first place.

Rockies being dangerous. Red Sox on the cusp. A WS rematch isn’t out of the question at some point.

Juan Castro is this year’s Eric Bruntlett. NOBODY should be expecting anything from him except his glove. Any offensive production should jus be considered gravy.

29. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

Don that makes sense about JD Drew.

What I would like to see the Phils do if at all possible is this in next years offseason… most likely will not happen but if they could

Trade Ibanez and Lidge for anything (cup of tea, a pizza, anything) Take the money saved and resign Werth and to a deal that makes sense for the Phils.

Then you bring up Brown to take Ibanez spot or you move Francisco out there till he is ready.

I truly think and like I said before I am big optimist, but I am high on him is Mathieson. I forsee him being our closer at some point, but if he is not ready put Baez there.

Thats one solution.

Other is up your cap the ownership has put on the salaries.

Alot of that depends on this groups success.

Halladay

30. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

Lopes won’t let Rolling be overaggressive… I think that Rollins is just realizing that he should be attempting to steal more bases because he’s historically efficient. To get to 50, that means he’s gotta be on base… hopefully that means he has better plate discipline in 2010.

I love Moyer… everyone knows that… but I’m with everyone. There is virtually no chance that he’ll end the season as our 5th starter. Kendrick might not make it, either. We’ll piece it together with the likes of Carpenter, Savery et al. I’m curious to see what they do with Bastardo… have they decided that he’s no longer “starter material?”

Halladay…

31. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

Not only the Werth deal . . . . but Howard’s salary is going to jump way up if they want to keep him (which they do)

you can’t really have a team with multiple players making $20 M..

Halladay, Howard, Utley .. Werth and Hamels would be appraoching that number in their next contracts.

Ibanez.. at what $11.5 M … you would need to pay all but $4-5 M of that I think..

Mathieson as next year’s Closer seems scary.. lets see him and Madson both step up this year and make Lidge pitch for his job.

” J-DUB FAN CLUB ”

I really hope they can find a way to keep Jayson Werth, but with multiple big market teams willing to outbid the Phillies … and this his one chance to make a payday . . I can’t fault either side if Werth goes to the highest bidder, if that team is also a contender.

Bastardo reminds me SO MUCH of Romero . . . I see him as our Lefty-Specialist of the future

32. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Unfortunately, the case with Werth is going to be way different than it would be for Rollins, or Utley . . . guys who already signed their big “free agent” Contracts.. the took multi-year deals at market value prices .

Werth never had that chance .. and with his one chance to take care of his family for life, I hope the Phillies can find a way to make it happen

33. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Don that is so true like I said mine is highly unlikely cause it is next to impossible to have that many high price players.

In a perfect world we keep all our favorite players forever but not happening.

I trust RAJ has a plan ready to work for this team, and of course we can only speculate, guess, hope and pray lol

Halladay

34. Bob in Bucks

February 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I like players with agressive goals but the goal that JRoll needs to focus on his OBP. Phils would be better off with a leadoff hitter with at least a .360 OBP (JRoll lifetime is .329). Last year Jimmy’s OBP was a horrid .296 – worst of the starting 8 and worse than most of the bench.
    There is no way he can get 50 steals without improving his number of chances which means a higher average and more walks, etc.
    Alternatively move him down in the lineup – he is productive with runners on base.

35. Jeff Y.

February 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Where do you bat Victorino? I say leave him at 2. If he drops below 280, move him to 9

36. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I think all guys out there that can do it…… should grow crazy-a$$ beards like Werth… and show up at games…..to make a big statement to the Phillies management.

37. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Victorino doesn’t perform well in the leadoff spot, because he jumps at pitches.. and is too aggressive . . . making him a great pick for #6 or #7

Polanco is as close to the PERFECT #2 HITTER as you’ll find in baseball . . . he does all the small things

I liked Ibanez 6th, Victorino 7th . . .that might hurt with Ibanez on base ahead of Vic.. holding him back from taking extra-bases, etc.

38. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I’m sure Vic would LOVE the leadoff spot….because he’s so damn cocky and thinks he can do it…..but he would suck there. I agree….Polanco #2 and Vic #7.

39. The Dipsy

February 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm

If you would like to extend Werth, give him this: a three year extension at 3y/39m, payed thusly:

2011 – 8m
    2012 – 12m
    2013 – 19m

I think that Werth, right now, is a 9m a year player. Add another stellar year this year, he becomes a 12m player. Thats is not to say that somebody may be come mindless and give him 4/60-65. Because he has such a small body of work, it is my opinion that only one more great season will jack his price tag up that much more. The reason I would structure the deal this way is to obviously try to fit him in next year to keep the nucleus intact. Because he is taking his big money on the end I would give him an extra 3m.

The Dipsy

40. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I really think that if Phillies fans want to tell management to keep Jayson Werth . . .

that Right Field needs to become his version of “MANNYWOOD” …. let the front office know that we want him to stay, even if it means a few extra dollars for our tickets.

brainstorming …it could either have something fun to do with his Jesus-like appearance . . like “The Promised Land” Fans

or call the Right-Field sections “ANTI-GRAVITY” . .because “nothing drops in RF” with Werth there…

…someone more creative than me should really get at it

F the Flyin Hawaiian, and how much they try to market him.. he’s there for the kids.. REAL fans like Utley, Rollins, Werth . . . guys that make heads-up plays, playing Old-School baseball

41. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

“Add another stellar year this year”….. and Jayson Werth is MORE than a $12 M player. I’m going on record now as saying that some team will pay him more than that…..whether it’s the Phillies or somebody else.

And 4/60 from a team like Boston would not shock me at all.

Your pay-out scenario, however, is interesting.

42. The Dipsy

February 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

The Phils would naturally make that offer before the season started. I wonder if Jason would take that offer today. If I were he, I’d have to say I would. And I’m trying to be objective. And that would be unprecedented cost certainty for the Phillies.

The Dipsy

February 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Taking about players who will benefit with the changes in the lineup, we forgot to mention CHOOCH. With Shane on base hopefully more often than Pedro Feliz, Chooch might hit for a higher average. When Pedro was on fire early last season, Chooch was also on fire (He had like a .300 average and at some point was 5th in the All-Star voting for catchers!).

44. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That’s a GREAT deal…..for the Phillies.

I think Werth thinks he can get more…..in years and dollars. And I think that, too.

But who knows…..??????

45. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Jason Bay got a nice 4/$66, right? Now, we all know that Werth is the better player but Werth doesn’t have as much to back it up on paper. Bay has put up similar numbers but he has done it over the course of six years… Werth has really only had two decent seasons. I don’t know if he’ll get 4/66… maybe something in the 3 year / 12-15 million range. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, Halladay…

46. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm

When you’re looking at the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, and Phillies.. all potentially in the mix for his services next year . . (and I guess maybe the WhiteSox and Giants would be too?) …

he’s going to be getting an annual salary of around $15 M … and probably for 4-5 years.. and AL team can use him to DH, or move to 1b or something somewhere down the line

I think it would take at least, 4 years, $50 Million to keep Werth right now.. and I think he gets more than that if he becomes a Free Agent

47. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Like Dipsy said, something like 3/39….structured appropriately….and that’s a good deal for both sides….at least that’s my opinion.

But Werth probably can get more, no?

ok….Halladay.

February 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I agree Original with your Werthy assessment.

Bay gets so much crap lately, and he is an incredible player… they give him a tough time for his defense, which is so underrated that people are gonna be in for a big surprise.

Also, can we please stop shipping Werth to Boston already? Red Sox are gonna have to re-sign Beckett (Lackey money probably), figure out what to do with third base (Beltre on a 1-year deal). I know they are a big club, but no one team has unlimited funds! (Well, maybe the Yankees, but that’s it!)

February 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

You’re all just in love with the beard…

50. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Ortiz at $11.5 M comes off their books next year.. they have money to spend..

and with Lackey, Lester, Bucholz already under team control . . . Beckett isn’t really a priority I dont think.. they would like him, but probably wont break the bank for him

why is everyone ending every post by saying

“Halladay”

??

51. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Probably some kind of chant. I just did it because I figured it was the thing to do.

Sort of like doing “The Wave” when it comes around to you.

Manny…the beard is totally cool. Not that I would look good with one like that, mind you.

52. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Someone on the facebook page said just call him Jaysus… hehe…

Werth doesn’t seem like a Red Sox guy… but he would rake in that park. I would hate to see him go. I am not a huge Jayson Werth fan but he’s uber talented. If he realizes how good he can be and continues to work hard, his best years may be ahead of him.

Halladay… hehe… read my post at 10:05.

53. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Ok. Cool. Got it. I won’t do that anymore. “Halladay” is unique to you.

54. shagbetasigma

February 25, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for putting me in the positive group.
    But I also do not count my eggs early. Though I think we have a great shot at the NL East crown again. The playoffs are about match ups and you never know what will happen. Unless it is the Dodgers, I think the Phillies are so far in their heads they might as well stay home.
    It is hard enough to make it there 2 in a row, 3 is going to be tough.
    On the other hand we did make it there last year without a closer ( I think Brad will be a lot better this year) a lead off guy ( I love Jimmy leading off but the first 4 months of the season he was just bad) or an Ace(Lee came in late, and I think Cole will be back in true Cole form this year) So I feel good right now, but they still have to play the 162 to get there. I and I will be there ever other sunday doing just that.

55. shagbetasigma

February 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

On Wreth, I think if they are going to keep him they have to do it before the year is up. If you can extend him then there would not be other offers, if you wait some AL team is going to throw 15-17 million for 4 years at him. And since when is 39 million not enough to set up your family for life, 40 million dollars for 3 years is not a big contract? I think he would stay for that.
    And when it comes to being overly aggresive stealing bases, with the Phillies success rate I do not care who is up to bat. If it is there you run, the threat of running makes pitchers make mistakes, 1 or no outs Rollins on first he should run. It also move the infielders, so more ground balls will be hits, as long as the % stays way above average you can never be too aggressive especially early on in games.

56. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Anyone in that positive group should feel free to end with Halladay… gotta keep it positive on here and I can’t think of a better way to do that than to finish a thought by mentioning the name of the greatest pitcher in baseball… the one that will be toeing the mound on opening day for our Phightins…

Wait for it…

Halladay

57. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Halladay

58. pheeling it

February 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

every single steal, means a base hit from a run. meaning one jimmy rollins steal equals a big solo blast from one of the boopers. 1 steal= 1 home run

with polanco batting second as the hardest to face in the lineup, and chase and howard in the on deck circle, jimmy should be flying this year. he has never been a lead-off hitter, i feel like the polanco signing was for jimmy

whats his name? J-Roll! whats his name. J-Roll!

59. pheeling it

February 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Halladay

60. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

The reason that you are hearing that Werth’s number will be $16 M . . . is because that is what is getting back to his agent, from the teams that would be interested

$40 M is a lot . . . $60 M is a lot more…

who is going to turn down extra money that nature

the difference between 40-60 . .. is WAY more than between say 100-120.. for pretty much the same reasons that Rowand left, I think Werth will be gone after this season.

The Phillies don’t want to commit right now, because there is a very good chance to Domomic Brown is MLB ready for next season, and they don’t want to have $30+ M tied up in their OF’s . .when they could get away with paying Brown $400,000 instead

lets let the year play out.. maybe Ibanez never comes back from his injury?? Then Werth is needed that much more . . . maybe Brown hits .350 in AAA and proves he’s ready for the majors.. etc

61. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Mayberry

62. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

er, I mean, Halladay

63. psujoe

February 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Nice write-up.

I think it’ll take more than 13 per to keep Werth. Soriano 18, Bay 16, Holliday 17, Ichiro 17, Wells 12.5 going up to 21(ouch), Rios 12.5…

14.5 might do it. 4/58 should be doable from the Phils perspective. Werths 7+Moyer’s 6.5+1 of Romero’s 4 get’s you there. The 23 million for Lidge and Ibanez following 2011 would go towards a closer and resigning Howard and Hamels.

64. psujoe

February 25, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Forgot to end with Halladay! Can’t waqit to see him pitch. Also looking forward to heding up to reading to check out Aumonte.

Halladay.

65. George

February 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm

One problem I can see with Rollins’ quest for 50 steals is Polanco, not that that is a bad thing. Polanco is such a contact hitter that many steal attempts will end with Rollins continuing to third because the pitched ball has become a base hit.

66. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

If Brown hits .350 in AAA in 2010, we’ll all be saying, “Jayson who?”

I’m trying not to look ahead… we should all be really excited about 2010 and Jayson Werth is a huge reason why. Like I said, it’s going to sting if/when he leaves. Rube said that there are some scenarios under which Jayson Werth remains a Phillie but the writing appears to be on the wall. Ibanez is here for at least one more season, Vic is here for the next three, Brown has been annointed the future and we’ve got other players to take care of first (Howard, Rollins, Hamels).

One thing is clear; questionable deals lead to what ifs… what if we had found a way to sign Raul to a two-year deal? What if we had not given Jamie Moyer his deal?

But then there’s Halladay…

67. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

that 3rd year is why Ibanez signed here… and Ibanez in the 1st half of last year is how we managed to win enough overall games to win the NL EAST again

except for Moyer’s 2nd year.. I’ve been on board with just about every single thing the Phillies have done lately

and there is a chance that Moyer will still WIN the #5 spot this year.. so that might not be the worst move ever

68. The Original Chuck P

February 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm

The gap in consistent production between Werth and some of those guys is huge… he had two good seasons. A few of those guys found their names on MVP ballots… Rios was in his fifth season of 400+ AB’s.

I think that Jayson Werth is every bit as good as some of those guys but they got big money because they either produced at a high level for multiple seasons OR they took advantage of JP Riccardi. I like Werth but he won’t get the contract that Jayson Bay does unless he hits the cover off the ball this season.

Gotta run… drive safe and Halladay

69. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Yeah either way I think whatever happens to Moyer we can all agree he is over paid this year. I really think he will do better in the pen

Moyer with his deceptive pitching style fools hitters for 1 maybe 2 times through the lineup which makes him the perfect middle reliever.

I have felt that for awhile, and I think we all saw how well he can do in the pen, as of last year after Pedro was signed. Anyhow just some thoughts.

Have a nice evening all and Happy Halladay

70. Jeff of Nova

February 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Speaking of Halladay great arlticle on Phillies.com about him pitching with Ibanez, Utley and Dom Brown in the box.

My favorite part is Utley’s look back at one of Halladay’s sinkers with the look of “we’re supposed to hit that?”

And that is one of the best hitters in the game, so the is post speaks for itself

Halladay

71. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Moyer.

No….that’s not right. (I DO want Jamie to do well, though)

But really it’s…..

Halladay.

72. The Second John

February 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm

In my opinion, there are generally three groups in this blog. There is the positive Don M/Chuck group, there is the cynical Manny/The Dipsy group (not saying its bad) then there is the idiot group, Just Crushed/SpankeYankee etc.

I think that a lot of us are discounting the Mets too early. They had tons and tons of injuries, so I expect them to compete for the division this year.

73. Don M

February 25, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Does Kendrick throw sinker,.. or splitter? . . I think its a sinker right?

I’ve been knocking him for the past two seasons, saying that he’s a major league pitcher.. just not for a World Series caliber team

I’m officially ready to change my stance though. I think he wins the 5th starter spot, and iturns in a year of 4ish ERA, and wins 12+ games

Similar in size, and in story (sent back to the minors).. I think working with Halladay is going to be a great thing for him

I don’t want to come across as 100% positive with every single move they make.. It’s just that im 26, and the last few years have been the best Phillies-years of my life. they are doing things right now, and have earned my complete trust and confidence. . random moves like letting Jenkins go instead of Stairs . . or even this year with letting Myers go, I don’t really like…. but the guys that run the team know more than we do, and we shouldn’t knock everything they do to try to make themselves better

bring in every veteran arm, and bat possible because you never know when the next JC Romero, Scott Eyre, or Chan Ho Park will come around.

Baez wasn’t a great deal .. but it was a very smart deal to stabilize the pen. I really think this team is going to be amazing this year.. and even with the Braves winning upwards of 90 games.. we should still win the NL EAST with ease

Phillies, ?, Rockies … Braves wild card

I like the Cardinals lineup, but their pitching is a question mark to me

74. The Second John

February 25, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Don, I think Kendrick throws a two seam fastball, but im not sure.

75. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Report from Clearwater:

Apparantely, Domonic Brown took live BP today and faced Halladay and said, “It was pretty nasty, man. Pretty nasty.”

Chase Utley stood in, Chooch was catching

76. Chuck

February 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Chase stood in, Ruiz was catching and Utley shot Ruiz a look as if to say, “And we’re supposed to hit that?”

One word…

Halladay

77. The Dipsy

February 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I was watching an interview with Cole Hamels the other day, it might have been SportsNite, where he said he was not comfortable with his curveball grip all last season. I’ve also read that, because of an injury to his forearm (?) when he was younger, the curve puts a strain on his arm. I’m thinking that maybe the curve is not the right third pitch for Cole. If he’s gonna throw it just has to break a little sharper. I also heard he was working on a cutter. Thank god. I think thats his pitch. Something to throw to both lefties and righties. Thats fastball to a righty is like home cookin. I think he’s gonna pitch well. I wish he could throw a riser.

The Dipsy

February 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Holy crap, Second John.. you grouped me with the Dipsy despite that I usually never agree with him!

February 25, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Kendrick’s sinker (his best pitch) can only get better if he keeps hanging out with Roy “nasty sinker” Halladay…

80. bfo_33

February 26, 2010 at 6:57 am

This string is probably dead already, but since my internet was out all day yesterday, I’ll comment anyway (sure a lot of people waiting with baited breath!).
    I don’t really care if Jimmy hits 260 or 300 – just want to see his obp% break 360. If that happens, 50 steals/150 runs are definitely in the picture (probably more like 135 runs). To start the season, I think Jimmy should run every time he leads off an inning getting on base, except against the Petites of the world, lefties with good/illegal moves to first. Slow it down a bit as the season goes on – the threat of a steal is almost as bad as the steal itself – gets the pitcher out of rythym,…. With Polanco batting second, should be able to move him to over half the time (probably 30% without no outs). If Pitchers consistently walk Utley, then Howard, Werth, and Ibanez are going to punish them.

Boston would love Werth – in the Dirt Dog mode of Varitek, Trot Nixon, Greenwell, Pudge,…

There are always injuries (although usually not as bad as the Mets had last year), teams with depth tend to survive it. I think the Yanks and Rays are the elites in the AL – something Met-like has to happen for them not to make the playoffs. They are the top tier.

The Rangers look good, but get killed by playing half their games in Arlington – just too hot, the guys wear down by Sept. Boston looks good on paper, but they don’t have a lot of depth, especially on offense. How is Beltre going to hit, is Ortiz done, who is their shortstop, will JD play 140 games,…. In Sea, pitching looks good, and Figgins fits that team/field perfectly, but there is always the Milton Bradley factor to consider, Ichiro is older, who else is going to hit? Twins are always in there, but not real scary, LAA looks worse, but always find a way. AL central is a wasteland.

In the NL, the Phils, Rockies, and Braves are the only teams who improved (I put the Braves in the Bos category – everything has to break right). The Mets have to be better, but they have no starters after Santana, it’s going to toast their bullpen.

Although the Cards get the benefit of a full year of Holliday, their pitching isn’t as good (although Duncan always finds a way). Dodgers get a little more experience from their kids, but lost a lot of pitching. Reds have a lot of talent, but are still probably a year or two from contending. Cubs always look good on paper, then underperform.

It’s hard not to pick the Phils for the division and pennant. I think the other team will be the Al East, but a roll of the dice on who (Yanks, Rays, Bos – who stays the healthiest).

81. Brooks

February 26, 2010 at 9:15 am

Health, average years and perhaps as a bonus some career years.
    The only barrier I see to a Phils repeat in the NL is health, which affects every club and their chances.
    Someone mentioned earlier that Polanco, being a true contact, low strike out batter hitting second, that might hinder JRolls quest for 50 SB’s. I disagree. I think this is even more of a chance for hit and run giving Polanco a lot to work with (moving runners up) and setting the scene for some heavy lumber. Utley, Howard, Werth could all see personal bests for RBI’s based on a healthy front end of the lineup.
    I guess the burning question I have is; “Are the Phils done with all the moves?”

82. Jeff of Nova

February 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

Brooks,

Answer to your question is

Yes, not really that burning though.

oh by the way

Happy Halladay

83. The Original Chuck P

February 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Phils are done spending money… I think Rube said that earlier this week. You’d have to be crazy not to pick the Phillies but anything can happen. Injuries would be the most likely impediment but a teams like the Braves and Marlins that have scary pitching could surprise everyone. One thing is clear to me; this team has more heart than anyone else out there. I have visions of last year’s team plus a focused/rested Hamels and Halladay for an entire year and think, “This team could easily win 100+ games.” We won 93 last year and we were really forced to piece a lot of things together… think about how many guys were used to keep things afloat: Lee, Happ, Myers, Moyer, Martinez, Lopez, Kendrick, Bastardo, Park, Carpenter… if we can get some consistency in our rotation, we’ll win 100+ games. We all think that Moyer is probably not going to make it very long but I’m ok with Kendrick, Bastardo, Carpenter and whoever proves themselves on the minor league circuit plugging the #5 hole as long as Halladay, Hamels, Blanton and Happ are there for the long haul.

With all this snow out there, I really wish I was down in Florida…

We’ve all heard about the Dom Brown/Halladay encounter. While Brown didn’t muster a hit, to me, it says something about him… he stepped into the box eager to swing against Halladay. He wanted to test himself and see what all the fuss was about. You’ve gotta remember that Halladay is the player to whom he was often linked to via trade rumors… I’m glad he’s still a Phillie.

I’m glad that this guy is a Phillie, too…

Halladay

84. Chuck

February 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I think the other key word on this site, other than “Halladay”, should be
    “Nasty”…..I can’t wait to see Brown. I’m really exited that we still have him……I hope he turns into what is expected…..it will make losing Werth a little easier if that actually happens.

Halladay (Nasty)

85. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Not sure where it came from . . .but a week or two ago, somebody posted that Vegas had the Mets as like a 90-win team, the Braves an 80-win team, etc . .

I saw this today, and its a lot closer to what my predictions would be .. including the Phillies and Braves slightly better, the Dodgers slightly worse . . the Rockies challenging in the NL West , etc..

Arizona- 82
    Tampa Bay- 89.5
    Texas- 83
    Toronto- 71
    Washington- 72

86. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That would have the playoffs teams as:

National League-
    Phillies, Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves = wild card

American League –
    Yankees, Twins-WhiteSox tied, Angels, RedSox = wild card

not really a stretch to pick those teams as the favorites
    but there predicted standings would be

NL East

Rockies – 83
    Giants – 83
    Diamondbacks – 82
    Padres – 71

87. Chuck

February 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Wow!! Not one team on the list projected at less than 71 and more than 94.5. Has that actually ever happened before? I’ll have to look it up.

Shows a narrowing of the disparity between the teams. Not that the Pirates, Royals and Padres can be considered “close” to the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies.

88. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I dont know that its really “projections” . . . but they set an Over-Under at what they think for people will be a coin-toss

Phillies at 94 . . I would THINK they would have more than that, but I don’t think I would bet on it.

I would put money on:

Cleveland Indians UNDER 73 wins
    Tampa Bay Rays UNDER 89.5 wins

Colorado Rockies OVER 83 wins
    New York Mets OVER 81 wins

89. The Original Chuck P

February 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Hmmm… If I had to pick one word to describe each of our guys, which words would I use?
    Hamels – diva (relishes the spotlight, eager succeed)
    Rollins – swagger (no explanation needed)
    Utley – flawless
    Howard – transcendant
    Werth – raw (talented and unapologetic… especially now that he looks like Jaysus)
    Victorino – energetic (tireless, persistent and annoying at times… when he crosses the line into perky/arrogant)
    Ruiz – steady
    Ibanez – veteran (battle-tested, seasoned)
    Lidge – unsettled (impatient)

And I’ll end with this…

Halladay – superlative (as a noun, a thing that is highest quality… in grammar, it is an adjective that is used in situations where you are trying to define something that is excellent… Halladay should be synonymous with superlative, instead of thinking, “I need a superlative here” you can think, “I need a Halladay here.”)

Halladay…

90. bfo_33

February 26, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I’m not much of a gambler, so had to follow the lines a few days, look into more. Apparently, there aren’t a lot of bets on baseball this time of year, so the lines are very volatile. A few big bets can really swing the line. Must have looked at it on a day where there was a lot of Mets fans in Vegas. I like the Astros under, Rockies over.

91. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

the Astros have a very good TOP of the lineup . . . Bourn, Hunter Pence, Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee

a very good 1-2 punch. . . Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez . .Myers #3 could be a 15 game winner still

so they will be a dangerous team, but over the long-haul, they will fall off

92. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Utley – flawless ??

I would say “hustle” . . . but not flawless . . he has a chance to be GREAT . but guys that are capable of being .300 hitters, need to actually do that year-in and year-out

93. The Original Chuck P

February 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm

In this city, Utley can do no wrong… criticizing Utley is like committing blasphemy. He’s on pace to be the greatest second baseman of all-time… power, defense, speed, average… he does it all and has sort of redefined the position. There are five or six really good all-around 2B in MLB right now and that wasn’t the case prior to his emergence… Kinsler, Utley, Phillips, Pedroia, Cano, Zobrist, Roberts… all of those guys have really burst onto the scene more recently.

94. Chuck

February 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm

“greatest second baseman of all-time”

?????

Tell that to relatives of Eddie Collins and Rogers Hornsby…to name a few.

95. Don M

February 26, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Utley has played 891 games . . .or 5.5 seasons

His average year thus far is

.295 batting average
    29 HR
    106 RBI
    109 Runs scored
    15 Steals

14 Errors

96. Jeff of Nova

February 26, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Well I would definitely say he is the best 2nd baseman in the game right now. Yes he makes some errors but he makes the spectacular plays

Halladay

97. Chuck

February 27, 2010 at 10:53 am

He makes spectacular plays….and he plays smart. I think that’s what was meant by the word “flawless”.

Utley, along with Rollins, is sort of like a field general out there. And it’s hard to argue that he’s maybe “the best in the game right now”.

If the Phillies had a “Captain” like Jeter with the Yankees or Varitek with the Red Sox, I guess you could put Utley in that role. These types of players are a unique, almost rare breed…especially in today’s game.

February 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Chase Utley is the Man! Enough said.

…Utley.