Phillies Walk Off Against Yanks – Phillies Nation
Posts

Phillies Walk Off Against Yanks

-Wilson Valdez, come on down.  The utility man went deep in the 9th inning today to give the Phillies a 9-7 victory over the Yankees in Clearwater.  Ben Francisco, Dane Sardinha, and Placido Polanco also homered for the team, but the real story was the showing by Cole Hamels.

He bombed today, going just four innings, allowing six earned runs on nine hits against a lineup that was missing most of the regulars.  Hamels has looked very good so far this Spring, but it’s hard to take much stock in everything that happens in March.

David Herndon has been a very solid Rule 5 pickup from the Angels as he has yet to allow a run yet in ST.  He went two frames, allowing two lonely hits as his ERA sticks at zero.  David Murphy of the Daily News thinks we’ll see Herndon on the roster at the beginning of the season. He’s clearly a darkhorse and if he makes it, it’s a huge find for the Phils.

-Did anyone watch the game today on ESPN?  Could they have bowed down to the Yankees anymore by interviewing their entire team (so it seemed) during the game?  I believe it was Howard and Moyer who were the only Phils who Karl Ravech, John Kruk, and Rick Sutcliff talked to.

1. BurrGundy

March 22, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Cole Hamels better improve. WE NEED HIM TOO MUCH !!!! It is great to see this guy Herndon pitch well out of the bullpen. We have some serious issues with Lidge and Romero. It’s good to get some good news. Moreover, the media always loves the world champs. They get their asses kissed all the time. I hate it. I hate the Yankees, but it gives us another reason to get back to the big show this year.

2. Deanna

March 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm

“The media always loves the world champs.” I wish they did. The Phillies didn’t get that much attention in 2008. It seemed they interviewed the Yankees longer as well. And why not Charlie? I personally don’t care about Girardi or about what they have/haven’t done during Spring Training.

3. Stuart

March 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I didnt really notice their obsession with the Yankees as much as I noticed Werths horrific fielding.

4. Ed R.

March 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm

You would think Hamels was Rihanna the way he got smacked around today.

5. joe

March 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm

i actually thought they talked the phils up a lot. they are the class of the NL and they spoke about them that way.

so what if the yanks had more interviews….
    ever dawn on you that maybe the phils didnt want to talk??

6. WFC010

March 22, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Ehh, the Yankees are loved by the media even during years they suck. Empire State Propaganda Network is exactly what ESPN is, but since when is that news to anybody?

Eff the Yankees, and the freaking horse they rode in on too!

I bet you, even if the Phillies had WON the World Series this past year over the Skanks,ESPN would still be doing their best to talk up the Yankees as if they were the better team.

7. Steve-o

March 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’m not worried about Hamels. He’s been working on new things, and the results will be mixed. Everyone says not to get too excited when players perform well in spring training, it’s easy to forget not to get too down when players have bad outings.
    That said, Herndon has been exceptional. It seems, at the moment, that he has a spot in this Phils bullpen.

8. Chuck

March 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Who cares about ESPN and their relationship with the Yankees?

_____

BurrGundy says, “Cole Hamels better improve.”

Uhh…Cole has pitched really well this spring, has one bad outing, and you’re all over him.

Someone in another thread mentioned that maybe he was working on different pitches today, experimenting (because that’s what S.T. is for).
    I wouldn’t get too excited about a poor performance in practice games.

Hamels is poised to have a good year. He’s rested, focused and has more selection in his arsenal. He wasn’t dominant in 2008 just by accident.

Have phaith!!

9. Jeff of Nova

March 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Yeah I agree with Chuck

Cole has been strong this Spring. For those who don’t understand, pitchers are still warming up their arms working in new pitches, trying different combos in different situations. His arm strength is so much further along than last year.

I like that we have guys still fighting for spots on the roster, in Herndon, Valdez, and Sardinha

10. Billy

March 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Yeah I’m really not too worried about Hamels, he’s been messing around with some stuff this spring and he’s going to have his speed bumps and one year of poor pitching does not erase 3 years of brilliant pitching, last year included he has a career 3.67 era and a 1.18 whip. Some of the more notable things this spring though I think are Placido Polancos ops is .934 and he’s hitting .394 which can’t be anything other than reassuring that replacing feliz with him was the right move, Rollins is hitting something like .289 which is already a positive for him but he also has 2 home runs and is leading the team in doubles so hopefully he’s showing some signs that he can still drive the ball to the gap and hopefully be more effective and how well Kendrick, Baez and Halladay have been pitching. All 3 of them are under a pretty significant amount of pressure this spring, we all knew Halladay was going to pitch well but I certainly didn’t expect him to look this dominant this spring; as good as he is it has to be tough to leave a team with a losing environment and join a team thats seen the success that the Phillies have had and be expected to pitch at a CY Young level, especially as an encore to Cliff Lee’s performance last fall, Baez has looked sharp after people doubted his abilities at this stage in his career and he’s shown that he very well could be the arm the Phillies need to stabalize the bullpen and that he could be confidant in closing if Lidge repeats last year and not 08. Kendrick has been outstanding too, he’s definitely had the most pressure on him entering spring seeing as Moyer has already been given the lead on the 5th spot but I think that Kendrick so far has proven that he is going to be a pretty critical member of the rotation in the near future and that the 5th spot should probably go to him entering the year.

11. BurrGundy

March 22, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I stand corrected. I will not lose sleep regarding Cole’s performance. I will cut him some slack and hope for the best.

12. WFC010

March 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Generally, I think having a strong Spring Training outing means more than having a bad one, although neither are an entirely accurate prediction for what we’ll be seeing in regular games.

There is a lot of experimenting and tinkering that you see in the spring, and players try to work on improving in ways that they may not be comfortable doing once the regular season starts up.

Like I said though, I still think having a strong outing is more telling than if you have a bad one. The former usually means your doing something right, while the latter could merely mean you are trying different things.

13. Repeat!

March 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

…phillies advance to the sweet 16 on a nobody’s buzzer beater… cole hamels to star in his own reality show “Warm Hamels” ..get the details at 11….

14. John

March 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I know I’ve talked about him before, but Herndon looked good again today. Yeah, he had a bit of a jam in the 6th, but getting out of the inning with outs by Granderson and Tex showed a lot of poise to me. With the status of Lidge and Romero being as it is, it’s hard to not break camp without Dave. Along those same lines, I’m starting to get a bit worried about the condition of J.C. Is it just me, or does it seem like he’s really not making much progress? Has he even started throwing his breaking stuff? I know he says he feels good, but he hasn’t even pitched in a game yet. I think at this point, we’d be lucky to get him for any of April.

Also, does anyone know where I can find detailed ST stats for pitchers? It’s hard to find info on pitch counts, locations, locations, etc… I did read hat Hamels was trying to focus on his fast ball today, so that probably had some impact with regard to his results.

15. pheeling it

March 22, 2010 at 7:13 pm

i go to school in north carolina, so i havent seen or even heard any games, until today.

espn beats fox @ least. even if they allowed more interviews with the yankees; however that is random and i think it’s whoever wants to be interviewed. i would have loved to see charlie talk, but phuck joe giradi, a coach switching numbers? for what! how asinine. get a life, the ship is on auto-pilot doucher.

cole hamels had a lead so why not test some things out, he needs more velocity to help the change-up, and i have to admit he is SUCH a WINER when he gets hit. hangs his head even if it’s a pop-up. just pitch the ball, no emotions kid.

polanco! thats whats up! glove looked great too! go oppo boppo on them haha!

raul ibanez- wayyy to many swings and misses. he’s not even seeing the ball, maybe its florida but he prefers miami, i think he should be tearing up against all these righties. i like him in the 5 spot, werth 6 and shane 7 so werth runs in front of shane, but rauls isn’t ready for that. if you ask me, he played there starting 09 and had banging numbers, then werth rocked when he took over for injury. hitting after ryan howard is such a luxury…

rollins
    polanco
    utley
    howard
    werth
    victorino
    ibanez
    ruiz

at least until raul see’s the ball better give him the 7 hole. i dont want to lose shane’s speed.

herndon looked great, i think bastardo should take over til romero gets back. he looks angry and his name is great.

16. John

March 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Honestly, I think having Werth hitting behind Howard helps Ryan more than it helps Werth. With Jayson being the quality hitter that he is, pitching around Ryan isn’t really that great of an option. That really only leaves feeding Howard a steady diet of breaking pitches and hoping for the best. If Ryan is ever able to develop more consistency against the lefties and breaking stuff, he’ll put up numbers like Pujols did last season.

17. pheeling it

March 22, 2010 at 7:46 pm

thats true. werth has the most productive at bats, fouls off and sees a lot of pitches. what do you think about ibanez?

18. pheeling it

March 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm

or if ryan can just lay off the breaking ball. just dont swing as soon as you recognize it. fransisco impresses me too. he loves the breaking ball but this

19. pheeling it

March 22, 2010 at 7:49 pm

ST he has been hitting the first pitch fastball

20. Jacob

March 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I know Howard struck out on a breaking ball, but if you analyze the whole at bat it was really the only one he bit on. He let at least two decent ones to the outer half of the plate go by. The one he swung at was inside, and damn nasty. I don’t fault him for it. And his double to left against the shift was fantastic.

21. Chris.I

March 22, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Not to stick up for Howard, but its hard to tell the difference between a breaking ball and a fastball…Which is why its so hard for Howard not to swing at that pitch. I agree that he has to somehow figure this out sometime in his career, but what do you expect from a man who averages 45-50 HRs a year?

22. Bobby D

March 22, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I think it was Rickie Bo or Mitchy Poo who was talking about pitchers getting a major “dead arm” around this time in ST. That 65-85 pitch mark is harder to get to than 85-100 due to the muscles warming up and adrenaline. MAYBE Cole’s arm is just a little tired from building up to where he needs to be while working on his cutter. Different muscles sort of thing. Just a thought. Let’s see what he does next time.

23. pheeling it

March 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm

hes the man, no doubt he’ll figure it out he always puts up numbers. hes our captain. i could nit pick on anyone in any sport…

except for chase, halladay and desean jackson. and jayson werth

24. John

March 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Pheeling, I love everything about Ibanez except his 2011 contract. I feel like at this point it’s standing in the way of two things. First, it’s money that could potentially be used toward resigning Werth. Secondly, it’s taking up an outfield spot that I expect Domonic to be ready to take full-time in ’11.

25. TJ

March 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Im wont be concerned with cole until he does that in a regular season game. As far as herndon, i could honestly see him being one of our better mrp this season. I didnt have a problem with espn on their knees for the yankees, thats expected, what pisses me off is when they interview a guy for a whole inning talking about shit i could care less about, like who’s gonna be the yankees fifth outfielder. But it was on tv so i guess i cant complain.

26. Tyler

March 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm

ESPN announcers were bad. I think they pissed Ryan Howard off a little bit when he replied with something like “Well if that’s how YOU say they get me out then…” When Ryan did strike out on his check swing the previous strike was well below the knees but called a strike, should have only been strike two. Ryan’s been hitting the ball well to left so far. It’s really disrespectful how many people call him “another power hitter” but meanwhile he’s one 45/130 year from having the second longest streak of that next to Babe Ruth.

They were pretty much an overall headache especially with all the Yankee interviews. Phillip Hughes you-know-what sucking was entertaining in the end since he gave up a 2 run walk off homer to someone who will likely be in the minors.

Not worried about Hamels, Werth did misplay a couple balls and costed some runs that I don’t think Victorino would have(the hit to deep center and triple to right center) but he did minimize the damage, if you want to call it that, and didn’t seem to appear too rattled. Through most of the game he was giving up hits but he held it together for the majority of his outing until the one bad inning he had.

27. Heather

March 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Tyler: I noticed Howard getting offended, but Howard is a terrible hitter against the breaking ball (the stats back me up on this, but I’d rather not pull them out unless someone wants me to). It’s not like the ESPN announcers were being jerks to be jerks. They were stating a FACT which Howard happened to find unpleasant, but hey…don’t want people to ask you that question anymore? Get better against the breaking ball.

Also, I notice they interviewed a lot of Yankees, but you can’t say ALL the ESPN announcers were biased against the Phils. Exhibit A: John Kruk. C’mon now.

28. bob

March 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

philadelphia clearly does not have an inferiority complex…. crying about new york (the world series champs) having more interviews in a spring training game….PATHETIC

29. Tyler

March 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I don’t know how they didn’t come off as jerks to you. They turned a bullshit strike call followed by a check swing into a lulz u got owned type comment. There could probably be a national broadcast of the Phillies playing the Nationals and the announcers would -still- find ways to talk shit on the Phillies.

30. Phylan

March 23, 2010 at 12:05 am

Werth made a pretty bad mistake out there, but he’s actually quite a good right fielder by the numbers. Center field, not so much.

31. Jacob

March 23, 2010 at 12:40 am

Hey, I don’t like the coverage the Phils get in the national media. But when did we as fans start to feel entitled? Still a blue collar town, blue collar team. The team goes about its business. If anything, the example of Cole “Hollywood” Hamels after the 2008 season should be glaring tutorial for players and us fans: media attention can distract you from the business of what this team is all about. Go out, play hard and put the team in the best position to win. Who cares if ESPN slurpped the Yanks? Did it change the outcome of the game? Did the interviews detract from the game winning hr from a minor leaguer for us, the fans? No. I was sitting there, glad Dobbs pulled off a 2 out double. My thoughts weren’t on the interviews. My thoughts were on the Phils, scrapping to the last out.

Follow the team’s example. Enjoy the team, appreciate the hard work and skill they bring to the field. Whining about media coverage just makes you all sound like Mets fans.

32. Phylan

March 23, 2010 at 12:41 am

Cole “Why do people think they know what’s going on in my head” Hamels is a glaring tutorial in BABIP if anything

33. Repeat!

March 23, 2010 at 12:57 am

bob you’re funny man. the Yankees take 9 yrs to win another title despite having the highest payroll and the most roid heads outside of Bean town. and philly has a complex because of that? not buying it dude. People have way more respect for the Phillies organization now than they do for the Yankees. Take away the roids and that so called late ’90s Yankee dynasty vanishes like magic…

34. WFC010

March 23, 2010 at 4:34 am

I think one of the most disgusting things I saw ESPN do recently was pick the Yankees as the “Team Of The Decade” and I felt there were other teams who deserved that distinction more. The Yankees were definitely the team of the 90’s, with 3(or 4 if you count the year 2000 as the 90’s) world championships in that decade, after going 15 or so years as “also rans” but how the hell did they pick the Yankees as the team of the 00’s? The Red Sox deserved it a lot more than they did, by winning their first 2 World Championships in well over 80 years, and I even felt the Phillies should have ranked above the Yankees on the “team of the decade” too, for going to back to back World Series for the first time in franchise history.

Seriously, don’t get me started on ESPN and the Yankees…

Kruk isn’t biased against the Phillies(obviously!), but most of those other guys certainly are.

35. NJ

March 23, 2010 at 7:44 am

The baseball media was always going to go Yankees crazy as soon as they won another title. Every year since the ’01 upset it’s been that ‘team’ won and the Yankees blew it. There’s no doubt the Yankees weren’t team of the decade but it seems to be baseball etiquette to leave the thrown empty until the Yanks are ready to sit in it.

Baseball as much as they want competitiveness want the Yankees to win, they want Yankee MVPs (despite the Jeter/Morneau debacle that Jeter should have won), batting champions, HOFers and despite the success of that 90s the baseball media has been deprived of it’s Yankees legacy the last few years since they can’t make their stories around say Bernie Williams or Andy Pettitte.

They want their fix of Yankees hysteria… Every game, every half inning, every off-season…

36. John

March 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

I think a big part of it is due to the fact that most Philly fans are fans because of some connection to the city. Yankee, Redsox, and even the Dodgers (though to a lesser degree) are teams that have a larger ‘fan’ base due to their widespread notoriety. The NY insignia is instantly recognizable to damn near every man woman and child in the baseball playing world, if not on the planet. The networks know this, and they play it up. In a national broadcast they know that far more people are interested in the Skanks or Sox than anyone else.

37. bob

March 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Yankees went to 4 world series in the decade….won two championships….and won the division every year except one year…. you cant discount the facts because a lot of it happened early in the decade and cant discount it because they have the highest payroll (sorry there is no salary cap).

-Now match up what the red sox and phillies did in the decade and check how many games they won compared to the yankees. Its not close.

-Philly has two good seasons and you want respect? In the years before that you have been notoriously been known as the most losing franchise in baseball history get off your high horse.

38. Chuck

March 24, 2010 at 9:17 am

Here’s a “fact”…

ANY team that wins a World Series deserves respect!