A Look Back at the Home Opener – Phillies Nation
Commentary

A Look Back at the Home Opener

After working my ninth straight home opener, a couple things caught my eye inside Citizens Bank Park on Monday afternoon during the Phillies win over the Washington Nationals. This isn’t really a column, just some random thoughts that popped into my head over the course of the afternoon.

When did it become cool to boo Cole Hamels?  On a team that had no pitching in 2008 he carried them to a World Series. He had a down year last year, but some of those numbers were inflated by a few awful starts. There are no making excuses for his postseason last year, but this year he has kept the team in the game both starts. Not amazing starts to say the least, but good enough to keep the Phillies in it while he works out the kinks. I really don’t want the voices of some dumb fans to get in the head of a kid with worlds of talent. Philadelphia has a knack for moving its stars, see the resumes of Scott Rolen, Curt Schilling, Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley and most recently Donovan McNabb. I’m really not prepared for the name Cole Hamels to join that list yet.

For everybody that complains about how hard it is to get tickets to games, why don’t people use them to actually watch the game? I spoke with countless fans who couldn’t tell me anything about why Rollins was hurt, who homered for the Nats, or who came in for the out after Hamels couldn’t finish the inning. Tons of fans seemed to just chill out in Ashburn Alley or the smoking stands or even worse wait in line for Crab Fries for over an hour without even glancing onto the field for the action. Considering how tough this ticket was to get it confused me. We aren’t talking about a mid-July Wednesday afternoon game against the Reds, this was the home opener.

After the terrible weather that normally comes with Phillies games in early April, how refreshing was Monday, as well as the rest of this week’s forecast? Perhaps Major League Baseball finally got it right, limiting home games on the East Coast.

Was it me or was the raising of the National League Championship flag a bit uneventful? Same goes with the National League Champions ring ceremony scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Maybe 2008 spoiled me, being in the stadium as they rose the flag minutes after winning the World Series, but this kind of felt like kissing your sister. The blue flag is cool, but I think that raising a red one that reads 2010 will make everything right again.

I don’t want the ladies to take this wrong and think that I don’t appreciate it. And I don’t want the men to think I’m trying to ruin it for the rest of them, but what is going on with the women at Citizens Bank Park? All of a sudden the stadium has the feel of a singles bar. Girls are wearing their skimpiest Chase Utley t-shirts that are cut down the cleavage to go along with the shortest of Phillies shorts that show the bottom of their butt cheeks. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I loved the scenery, but from watching these girls…and trust me, I’m watching, it sure seems like a lot of these girls are there to pick up guys rather than watch the game. What they choose to do with their ticket is on them, but seems like another case of people wasting the tickets that everyone is howling about not being able to get. I understand it only recently become cool to be a Phillies fan, and who am I to judge what these girls wear or how they act in the game, but I know I’m not the only person to notice this over the past year or so.

As far back as I can remember, I don’t remember any player bringing this kind of excitement to Philadelphia as Roy Halladay is doing right now. I don’t even think the Eagles acquisition of Terrell Owens had the city in such joyous uproar. You couldn’t even begin to count the amount of #34 jerseys and t-shirts Monday afternoon. What is Saturday going to be like when he takes the mound for the first time at The Bank?

Finally, after talking with numerous fans, everyone seems to have the same expectation: World Series or bust. A favorable first nine games, facing the two worst teams in the NL (depending who you ask), has definitely helped get the momentum rolling in the right direction. But where do the Phillies go without Jimmy Rollins? Upon writing of this column, the word was still “wait-and-see”, by Wednesday morning that could become a stint on the 15-day DL. Without one of the leaders on the team, it will be interesting to see how the Phillies respond as a team.

One week is in the books for the 2010 Philadelphia Phillies and I can’t remember a season starting the way this one has in a very long time.

1. lestro

April 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

“when did it become cool to boo cole hamels?” seriously?

easy: when he stopped playing like we know he can. we only boo those we love and only when they are not playing up to their potential.

i am excited to see cole at 2-0 and even more excited that in both games he gave up some early runs and was able to bounce back, but come on man, you know the rules: you don’t do what we know you can do and you’ll hear about it…

2. Mike Bishop

April 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Great article. I’ve noticed these things, too.

3. wtt

April 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

He underachieved for all of 2009.

Since when is it cool to make excuses for a guy who has the ability to win 17 games? Remember the days when we didn’t say, “Oh, he was 2 pitches away from a good start.” Remember the days when he just went out and got it done? I love the guy, but he needs to get his shit together.

Also, you’re whining about tons of hot blondes who are getting wasted? Come on, man. You gotta be kidding me.

4. Evelyn

April 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Nick,
    i agree 100% with your points…I hate how all of a sudden everyone is a Phillies “fan”. I miss the days when i could walk up the day of a game and get tix, now you can barely get standing room tix the day of. If you’re going to start coming to the games, at least pay attention.

5. wtt

April 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I’ll concede your point about the lack of attention being paid out in the Alley, but do you really miss the days of getting a 5 dollar ticket in a pack of hot dogs and showing up to watch a 72 win team play in front of 12,000 fans?

6. Chris

April 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm

“I spoke with countless fans who couldn’t tell me anything about why Rollins was hurt”~~~ no one in my area knew why Rollins was scratched from the game either…. we were alll scratching our heads…

“who homered for the Nats”…. beats me… I dont really pay attention to who is batting when the Nats are at bat

“or who came in for the out after Hamels couldn’t finish the inning” … this I dont know either (and I am a die hard fan)… I had a 16 year old with me and there was no way I was letting her go anywhere by herself without an adult present….

And Yeap… I was one of the ones wearing a Halladay tshirt….lol 🙂

7. BurrGundy

April 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I like the fact that cute women are wearing skimpy clothes and the atmosphere is like a singles bar. I just wish I were young enough to take advantage of the ambience. Maybe the Phils should have a “Bikini Day Game”.

8. Tracey

April 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Tickets are hard to come by because of legalized scalping, AKA Stub Hub. There were thousands of empty seats at that game, particularly in the 400 level, and I don’t think they were all in Ashburn Alley. Speculators are buying up the tickets to resell at inflated prices. It’s disgusting, and it shouldn’t be legal.

9. Stephanie Lynn McDonnell

April 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Very nice article!
    I am proud that you can take in all of these observations while being an excellent beer man.
    Also Roy Halladay and I share the same number!
    And it also bugs me when people go to the game and come out not knowing anything about it!

P.S. Duke<33

10. 4daysrest.com

April 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

If you don’t like drunk, hot chicks, don’t go tomorrow night. That game should have a real collegiate feel to it.

11. ConnieMacKid

April 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Let’s nor forget Ritchie Allen in “64” He was booed all season but oh what a player. I never did understand booing the home team, but to each their own. Hot blonds in tight clothes, just another day in the life. Enjoy ALL the stadium has to offer, it’s a total package and a great way to spend part of any day.

12. BOB

April 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm

dont get me wrong, but if i can hit on some slam piece while waiting in line for a beer, phillies games are that much better.

13. johan

April 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Its pretty obvious why hamels is booed. 5.2 innings with 4 er runs. Last time i checked that isnt good. He hasnt pitched a full 6 innings yet and is having trouble against against last place teams. The astros lineup is god awful and the Nationals isnt much better besides zimmerman. Jimmy rollins injury might not hurt them as much as it seems. He had a terrible year last year, hes extrimely overrated career BA of only .275 and he is said to be better than jeter????? HE BATTED .250 last year.

14. George

April 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hamels “has the ability to win 17 games.”

So far, that has never happened, probably because he only had two pitches, and not because he wasn’t trying. And certainly no one complained about his win total in 2008, which was only 14.

I’ll also add that Steve Carlton had the ability to win 17 games the year he lost 20.

15. fungo

April 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I spent most of my life wanting the Phils to be good. Now that they are part of me wants to be back in the basement again. When did you ever pay 50 bucks a ticket to sit in the 700Level? People wearing team gear and you are lucky if they can name anyone besides Halladay, Utley, Howard or Hamels!

Hamels is still pitching like a rookie kid with no composure when he serves up a few. I think 2008 was a fluke for him so far and he will be lucky to regain that level of success, maybe Doc can teach him a thing or two this year? He reminds me a bit of Nuke LaLoosh “Million dollar arm but a 10 cent head”. Heaps of talent, tons of potential but will he ever fully realize it?

Girls are dressing like skanks everywhere anymore, not just at Phillies games but you are correct that it is beginning to get that singles bar vibe in the concourse… dont get me started on the tiki bar in Clearwater.

Do I enjoy the recent success of the team? Absolutely! Did I enjoy Opening Day on Monday? Absolutely! Do I enjoy the bandwagon fans and needing to re-mortgage the house to get a decent ticket to a game? Absolutely not!

16. 4daysrest.com

April 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

George, what’s your point? It doesn’t change the principal of his point.

And if you want to get cute, Hamels technically won 19 games in 2008.

17. 4daysrest.com

April 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I’d rather pay 22 dollars to stand at a game then pay 15 to sit in the 2nd level and win 78 games. This whole, most people can’t name more than 4 of the players is a bit exaggerated and tiresome, too.

Some of you guys are a bit too righteous. Hell, I used to watch every game I could physically get to the stadium or in front of a tv for…and I’m talking about during the days of Wayne Gomes, Toby Borland, and Wendell Magee. Still, that doesn’t give you or I more of a right to this team than anyone else.

18. johan

April 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Most philly fans dont know many players around the league and the organizatio. Cole hamels won 14 games in the 08 season, and 4 in the post season. He didnt win 18, if you go by that than Andy pettite has 247 wins which “technically” he does but thats not the way the stat goes. They are two different categories. The phillies are full of bandwagon fans, i see it everyday

19. shag beta sigma delta

April 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I will add one thing that really bugged me at Mondays game, some guy saying he hopes Pudge goes yard, cause the phillies were up four and no one was on, He was wearing a Phillies shirt and I said “What?!” His response “He is on my fantasy team” Now that is a joke. Come on is it really that important, and if it is, sit him the weeks he plays the Phillies. I know there is a PhilliesNation fantasy league, but really hoping some guy goes yard against your team because he is on you fantasy team.
    And As far as Cole goes, he did blow up like he did last year, and he is working on some things and he knows his team will score some runs. He did not lose it after giving up the HR, and after letting two guys on he K’ed the next 3 batters, except on was called a ball and the ump was not paying attention to the swing. Yes he should have been able to get the pitcher out, but he didn’t one bad inning. If that happened last year he would not have made it out of the 4th inning. So give him a few more starts before we proclaim him a waste for this year please.
    I was at the game and drove 6.5 hours home after, and it does bug me people buy up these tickets and do not pay attention to the game.

20. Aaron

April 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm

IMO these “bandwagon” fans are made up of 85% girls.

21. 4daysrest.com

April 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Any team that is good has bandwagon fans, no?

Why is that people think that only certain fans are entitled to enjoy the success of a team. That’s like saying you should have to pass a ten question quiz in order to gain entrance into the stadium.

The people who are diehards derive great pleasure from watching their team succeed. I’m sure there are some fans that will roll once this run is over, but many will stick around. I get what you are saying…the people who are like ” OMG HOLIDAY” and can’t even say I guys name right are obnoxious and annoying, but some of you guys are nuts with this stuff.

22. 4daysrest.com

April 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm

The fantasy team thing is annoying beyond belief. That’s a complete and total violation of fandom, but you still can’t tell people what to do at the stadium. I’m there to watch the game, but you’re not going to have 44,000 people talking sabermetrics and scoring the game, man. It’s not happening.

Hamels has been okay- you can’t draw any definitive conclusions about him or anyone else after two starts, but the claim isn’t that he sucks. The claim is that it’s frustrating to hear all of this post-game rhetoric about “almosts”… this is a guy that should just be doing it, not getting “close” to doing it.

As far as ticket prices, like a previous commenter suggested, it’s about these companies that buy up the tickets. That’s where the problem is.

23. Jeff of Nova

April 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I remember the day when not as many idiots posted on this blog

“when did it become cool to boo cole hamels?” seriously?

“Hamels “has the ability to win 17 games.”

I’ll also add that Steve Carlton had the ability to win 17 games the year he lost 20”

what kind of crap are these posts?
    None Phillie fans if you ask me

April 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Beerman, all great points.

The answer to most of these issues you’ve raised, my friend, is Bandwagon Fans. I thought they would jump all over the Phillies in 09 right after the World Series, and they did… but it wasn’t that bad. Now in 2010, you are REALLY seeing them in full force. Perhaps the fact of 2 straight World Series was enough to convince them… they are now gasping for tickets and they suddenly LOVE THE PHILLIES OMG THEY CAN’T LOSE ONE SINGLE GAME THEY’RE THE BEST!!!

And that’s why some boo Hamels, they only remember the 09 playoffs were he sucked, and perhaps didn’t even watch 2 or 3 of the 2008 World Series games… maybe just Game 5 part 2.

Seriously, then they go to the game and don’t watch it! WTF. Cheer for Herndon god damn it and stop asking “WHEN WILL CHASE BAT NEXT” every 10 minutes…

They are really getting on my nerves. I thought I didn’t care about people jumping in the bandwagon, but it does bug me to a certain extent. ESPECIALLY this season.

25. Debbie

April 13, 2010 at 11:30 pm

“IMO these “bandwagon” fans are made up of 85% girls.”

Nothing annoys me more than this statement, mainly because it’s probably true. I hate that, because I’m female, it is assumed that I must be a bandwagon fan who knows nothing about the team. Just to make it clear, there are women who care about the Phillies and HAVE cared about the Phillies.
    Now where did I put my Utley halter top… KIDDING!

26. riccaboni

April 13, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Bandwagon fans = more merchandise sold, better TV ratings, more tickets sold = the ability to lock in our key players and add a top level free agent now and then.

I’ll take that trade off any day of the week.

27. Pat Gallen

April 13, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy looking at females, but going to a Phillies game is fairly ridiculous. Do I look, of course. But still, its more like a frat party. It’s become the cool thing to do – and thats something I do not enjoy.

I love that the Phillies have become so popular in the past few season because it certainly beats watching those crap teams of the 90s, however, no one can go to games anymore and enjoy the sport.

No one pays attention to the games, everyone goes to get drunk and be obnoxious. I took a video of a guy in front of me who just yelled things like “eat a wiener” and drank beer after beer. Way cool. Females thinks its cool to wear skimpy clothes. If I wanted to get blasted and look at half naked chicks I’d go to a strip joint. Baseball seems more sacred to me, maybe I’m old school, maybe I’m a grump.

Debbie I know lots of women who actually care about the game on the field. Hell, my mom does know much but when she comes shes attentive. However, the younger crowd doesnt give a crap about the game and thats a shame. It’s an awesome game, I wish everyone were worried about that rather than getting a cheesesteak in the Alley.

28. Morris Buttermaker

April 14, 2010 at 12:33 am

If you couldn’t complain, you would have nothing to say.

Every game is sold out, and people are spending too much money at the baseball games. Long lines at all the concessions. Ok, let’s trade Halladay for Omar Daal and Terry Adams, Utley for Marlon Anderson, Howard for Travis Lee. We can get Glanville back in the outfield. Tickets will be cheap, no lines at the concessions. Let’s strive to be the Nationals.

If you want good tickets, get a partial season ticket plan. I have a 17 game plan that I share with 2 other people. I sit in the 2nd row of the 200 level. I get to go to about 10 games a year, and get playoffs tickets. All for face value. And occasionally I sell off tickets we can’t go to, and make a pretty penny.

Nobody in the stadium knew what happened to Rollins. He was introduced, came out to a huge ovation, and then all of a sudden he was not on the field once the game started. There was no announcement about it.

People boo Hamels because it appears he is not trying his hardest. He has a meltdown if a call goes against him, such as he did yesterday- giving up a 2 run double to a pitcher after not getting a call. He shows up the other players when they make an error. He is constantly advertising something. If you have a child who always gets A’s & B’s, then he starts getting C’s, you get upset with him. If you have a child who always gets D’s, and he starts getting C’s, you are proud of him. With great power, comes great responsibility.

29. SherryW

April 14, 2010 at 1:16 am

I was there, watching and I didn’t hear this booing. Unless it was boos directed at that spitballer Marquis.

The hot ticket games are full of the party hardy crowds. Same with Dollah Dogs. It has nothing to do with baseball and all to do with status. “Yo, I have a ticket for the Big Game and I overpaid LOADS on stubhub for it. I’m gonna start to tailgate the night before! Woooo!”

People who really think %85 of bandwagonners are ‘girls’ are %100 douchecanoes.

30. Brian Sr. of CO

April 14, 2010 at 2:34 am

Hey look, yet another free pass for Cole Hamels. Look he was wicked in 2008. But after a mediocre 2009, and mediocre start to 2010. My question is “When did it become cool for a teams former Ace (prior to Lee and now Halladay) not be able to make it out of the 5th inning of a game?” Sure its only the second game, and he has PLENTY of time to turn it around, but Morris hit the nail on the head. “He has a meltdown if a call goes against him”! Same reason some people stopped calling him King Cole, and call him “Princess” or “Dorothy Hamels” I find it funny that you can talk about how “uneventful” raising the “blue” 2009 flag was and you were spoiled by 2008, yet you still question why Phillies fans boo a player that was flat out wicked when the won the WS (he is a major part of that), and turned to be a primadonna (however it is spelled), and mediocre, and one of the reasons the Phillies did not win the WS in 2009. He needs to stay calm. He gives up a double, or a Homer, and watch out. He lets his emotions go wild. Also, when did it become offensive for PHILADELPHIA fans to boo? Are you freakin kidding me? WTF! We cheer them when they do well, we boo them when they don’t. Are we getting soft? I was also at the game, flew into Philly specifically for the game, and I heard the boos from food line. Oh my god, I must be a bad fan because I left my seat to get food. Uh what was with that comment also. HELLO! As for fans not knowing why Rollins was hurt. Did you miss the fact that Rollins was hurt BEFORE the game? Some of us were TAILGATING (thats when you get there before the game and drink and eat prior to entering, and it is what makes Philadelphia sports awesome!) and entered the park after he had already hurt himself. How is a fan at the game who gets in 30 minutes before the game supposed to see something that happened in the past? I completely disagree that most of these points have to do with bandwagon fans. Things like the skimpy clothes (I agree it was nice to see, but good lord). To me, I find anyone who found the “blue” flag uneventful because it wasnt a World Series a newer fan than some of us. Have you by chance forgotten almost every other season for the Phillies. I cant even count the number of opening days the Phillies couldnt sell out because how TERRIBLE they WERE. Maybe its just me, but I cherish the White of 2007, the Red of 2008 AND the red of 2009. Sure the WS was AWESOME and I would trade that 1 flag for 3 blue ones, but the point stays the same, I have stayed PHaithful with my (our) team through the years, awesome or horrible. I will boo them when they do poorly, and CHEER LOUDLY when they do well. I am a Philadelphia fan through and through. Darn it, what happened to the fans that booed Santa Clause? LOL. Now are there an extraordinary number of bandwagon fans? HELL YES, mildly annoying, however Riccaboni said it, increased income for the team means the ability to keep or pick up key talent for an already great team. FYI, I disagree that the Nats are one of the two worst teams. It seems to me the Mets have overtaken them for that crown. Obvoiously the Astros are one of the two, if not THE worst (too bad we didn’t face Brett “I want to stick it to the Phillies” Myers). Feliz left with class, Myers missed that memo. But only 1 week of the season completed, the Mets got ROMPED by the Nats, and today by the Rockies (11-3). Not to mention, in the 2nd half of 2009, I think (not 100% sure) but the Nats had a better record than the Mets. Does that mean the Nats are a “good” team…NO, but I think they are an improved team, and may seriously not be in the cellar this season. I agree with Pat Gallen that I am old school with certain aspects of the game, and get annoyed with some of the bandwagon fans and the idiocy, but honestly I didnt really have to deal with alot of the bandwagon fans, because of where I sat. Most of my section was having a grand old time talking and comparing older teams (1980, 1983, 1993, 2008, 2009) to the current team. I think the fact that we were able to have that sort of conversation took my mind off of some of the bandwagon fans I saw before the game. I also dont think that the “hot ticket games” have ” nothing” to do with baseball. Of course there will always be badnwagons and morons who are more interested in “hanging out” or “Partying” then watching the game, but I think most of us on this site still go those games, and still watch the game!

31. Brian Sr. of CO

April 14, 2010 at 2:35 am

BIG CHANGE. I meant to say I would NOT change that 1 WS flag for 3 NL flags!

32. Philly Texan

April 14, 2010 at 2:36 am

I live in Texas, so I don’t get to CBP often — although I’m going this Sunday — and I can’t comment much about girls in slinky outfits and people who don’t watch the game.

But I will say this: We’re all die hards. We all lived through a lot lean seasons the past 25 years. I was 3 years old when they won in 1980 and 6 when they went to the series in 1983. I was too young to remember it. Instead, I remember watching Von Hayes and Juan Samuel. Besides 1993 and part of 1994, it was pretty ugly for a long time.

For those of us who remember when Robert Person was the staff ace (not Halladay), when Travis Lee was manning first base (not Howard), when Jose Mesa was closing, when Nelson Figueroa pitched for the Phils the first time around….for all those people, these are memorable days. I can’t ever remember feeling so good, so confident, so satisfied going into a baseball season. I look forward all day at work to the Phils game that night. And if — in exchange for all these great feelings, great wins, great memories we’ve had the last few years (and hopefully will have this year — we have to put up with a few bandwagon fans who don’t know what they’re talking about, well, so be it.

I’ll take the bandwagoners if it means the Phils have this kind of team. These are the glory days, my friends, and I suggest we try our best to enjoy it.

33. Brian Sr. of CO

April 14, 2010 at 4:55 am

WELL SAID Philly Texan, and let me say not as long winded as I was. Sorry for that. Lack of sleep, and I lose all speech barriers and become a motor mouth.

34. Dan S

April 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

Thank you.

35. jim d

April 14, 2010 at 8:12 am

the most annoying bandwagon jumpers are the disgruntled eagles slobs whom four years ago wouldn’t hesitate to tell you how great the eagles where and how bad the Phillie’s sucked yet the true fan could see a team headed in the right direction

36. Dot O

April 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

I was at the game – my first time at the “new” (already four years old) ballpark. My kids high school marching band lead the team to the door of the park (wished they would have actually let the kids play on the field too).

It was a beautiful day and I did watch the game – that is until they told us to load up the buses. I was bummed. I noticed some of the attire of the young women also. Oh well, to each her own! Some people are there just for the crab fries, I am sure – I tasted one and it was pretty darn tasty!

I did watch the game too. I hope I am fortunate enough to get to see another game soon.

37. billz

April 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

Personally, I don’t think a lot of the boos we hear are directed at Hamels or particular players. Sometimes, it’s just the fans expressing their discontent with the play that just occured. We’re booing the other team…Boo….we don’t like your stinkin’ home run….Boo…you scored again on us…but you still suck…Either way, these are paid professionals, playing a game. They should be able to handle it.

38. Morris Buttermaker

April 14, 2010 at 9:12 am

When I was in college, people went to Phillies games and never paid attention to the games also. It was because we were watching players like Rob Ducey, Ron Gant, Wayne Gomes, Desi Relaford and Jeff Brantley. The Vet was the place to go if you and some friends wanted to drink a bottle of vodka with nobody around you.

39. LH

April 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

Yo, Nick the Beerman. I’ll tell Laura that you’re writing on this site. You had a good, down-to-earth take on the game from the floor of the stadium.

About Cole that I previously wrote on another site: I sat in left field in section 106 and I heard the groans about Hamels. Folks are on Hamels because he never a World Series. Seriously, some folks look for imperfections in our athletics that sometimes border on fantasy. Here’s a good looking California kid that doesn’t fit the media’s Philadelphia blue collar mentality. But we’ll forgive that aspect if he pitches perfect every time.

Nobody knew what had happen to Jimmy Rollins unless you had a radio. One moment he was there and the next moment Castro is picking up a grounder in the first. I called my daughter in Denver, who was watching the game, to get a text update. I hope he heals soon but it sounds serious, and we may not see him again for 3-4 weeks. It’ll be tough for him have batting practice against live pitching when he comes back. Heal fast Jimmy!

I could see at the opener that the Phillies games have become a party for the young folks. I think it’s natural for girls from across the country, and in the city, who want to meet guys at Citizen Park that are knowledgeable Phillies fans. I’ll tell my son to skip the college parties and head to the games more often.

Yes, the weather was exceptional on Monday for an Opener. It was a little cool in the shadows so that was why more people were probably walking in the sun. I thought the ceremonies were pretty good and I hope that we’re all not that spoiled because it’s great to be living and breathing in the golden era of Phillies baseball.

40. SteveW

April 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

Maybe its time people stop expecting Hamels to be what they think he should be and enjoy what he is. A very young pitcher who flashes greatness but hasn’t developed the consistency yet. Unfortunately, the Phillies have fallen into the same trap and have pressed him into being a No. 2 starter, which he isn’t yet.

41. Adam

April 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

I will say though – i had no clue what the deal was with Rollins. I was by the left field foul pole and i looked at my friend and just said “that sure doesn’t look like jimmy…”

42. bfo_33

April 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

A small part of me misses tailgating in an empty vet parking lot, going in to watch Glen Wilson or Steve Jeltz with 12,000 “real” fans, but it is a very small part. Success breeds new fans, which gives money to the org to continue to put out a solid product. If their favorite part of the game is the Phanatic, that’s fine with me.
    I’m middle aged, a bit old fashioned, so the attire of young women everywhere still surprises me (and why didn’t they dress like that when I was single?). But it is a minor diversion at best – I’m there to watch the game, get up only to avoid wetting my pants (and depending on the situation, maybe not even then).
    On a whole, I’d rather be at the stadium, even to watch a bad team, but prefer watching a competitive one, even if surrounded by pink Phillies hats.

43. Ben

April 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

team wins games and goes to multiple world series, hot chicks jump on the bandwagon, people complain….what?

everyone knows that phils games will have drunk people, will have people not into the game, will have d-bags. now that we are winning and its tougher to get a ticket, those people generally have a little more money and there are generally more casual fans. enjoy it, b/c when its just the hard cores and families going to the games, we will be below .500 again.

44. Phylan

April 14, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’m noticing a rather hilarious correlation between the people griping about bandwagon fans and the people who think 2008 was Cole’s only good year.

45. Pat Gallen

April 14, 2010 at 10:02 am

All I’m saying is, these people who go to the games just for the purpose of getting F’ed up are missing the point. Every game I go to, it seems, I get stuck in a row with some moron (or multiples like last game) who is yelling obscenities and asking for beer after beer. Baseball is supposed to be a relaxing sport and you cant really relax at games like you used to. It’s high energy and I applaud the fans for their love of the team, but don’t go because its the chic thing, go because you love baseball.

There was a crew of about 5 girls and 3 guys tailgating in front of us before we went into the game and they were hammered, the girls were wearing skimpy outfits (sorry to say, maybe only one of them should have been wearing it) and were shotgunning beers. Really? On a Monday on opening day? More power to you I guess.

46. Phylan

April 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

2007?!?!?! Didn’t the Flyers make the playoffs that year?? *falls off bar stool*

47. Phylan

April 14, 2010 at 10:05 am

That was a rather unfortunate coincidence of timing, but just to be clear that was not directed at you Pat.

48. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

Ok….where to start…

First….as one of the regulars on here….I want to say it’s kind of cool to read some of the comments by people I don’t recognize. Welcome and your thoughts are well taken.

Nick….great post….

1)Booing Hamels. I understand all sides of this. We all want Cole to do well. And when he doesn’t, it’s frustrating. I’m not sure it’s “cool”…..it’s just a reaction……like so many other players that have been or are booed. I agree, though. It would probably be better to GET BEHIND this kid and root for him….because his success will go a long way towards the overall success of the team. And, for the record….and I’ve said this before…..this year Hamels wins 15+ games and has an ERA of below 4.

2)Yeah, if you’re at the game….watch it. I understand goiing to get a beer or something to eat. But, seriously…..to not know what’s going on for most of the game is pretty frustrating for us fans that are there to actually see the game….because we DID pay good money to get the tickets in the first place.

3) Weather….nothing else needs said! Although, I’m going down Friday night and rain is in the forecast….Yikes!!

4)Flag and Ring Ceremony. I actually commented on this the other day. To me, it’s all just sort of anti-climactic. Yes, I’m happy. Yes, I remember ALL those sh!tty teams from yesteryear. But, after last season with the red flag and the WS rings….this just sort of seems like “So What”. Maybe the players will feels the same way and use it as motivation to bring us another WFC!

5) Women’s choice of clothing. I’m not even going to touch that one. Whatever…..

6)Roy Halladay. Uh, yeah. The guy is a stud extraordinaire. Does it compare to when T.O. first arrived? Not sure. But he’s certainly causing quite a stir.

7) Yes. The Phillies mantra should be “World Series or bust” But if they don’t make it, I sure hope we don’t hear all kinds of negativity about how “this player sucks” or “Fire Ruben” or “Charlie is a horrible manager.” Let’s just all enjoy this time as a Phillies fan. We really don’t know how long it will all last. Oh, and Rollins will STILL be a leader, even though he’s on the DL. His presence in the dugout and clubhouse will be tremendous.

49. bfo_33

April 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

From a previous run, a few people commented that while it isn’t church, it shouldn’t be an Eagles game either. Public intoxication should be limited to golf courses.
    Some of those fans will clear out by June, head to the auditions for the “Jersey Shore”, but we’re stuck with a lot of the others.
    I just hope it doesn’t get to the point where the Phils or the city feel a need to clamp down on the 95% of the fans who do it right to control the 5% idiots.

50. AMS

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 am

On Fans attentiveness to the game: There is more than one element to why going to the game is entertaining. Some of the fun is being out in the sun, hanging out with friends, the other people in the stands, and the food and drink. I love baseball and the Phillies but sometimes my attention wonders from the field.

On Booing Cole: Um we just spent the last six months discussing the fact that he came to spring training unprepared, is prone to emotional tantrums on the mound, and gave up on 2009. He had a mediocre finish to spring training, and a mediocre start in Washington. You’re surprised he got booed in philadelphia (and he did in fact get boed) after giving up a two run double to the pitcher? I do think Hamels has taken the torch from McNabb as the athlete in Philly’s crosshairs.

On the 2009 flag: I found it anticlamatic myself. It was essentially the same ceremony I saw in 2009 and that was for a championship banner. How are you supposed to get amped for a pennant coming off a WFC? It’s like sleeping with a seven right after nailing a 10.

On the girls at the park: Every man has noticed the female factor has, um, improved drastically over the last few seasons. Are you seriously questioning it? It isn’t like they’ve added strippers as cheerleaders. Its eye candy for the concourse. Or McFadden’s if you’re so inclined. I’ve always been envious of the tail at Camden Yards or Yankee Stadium cause i don’t get there often enough to see it. Now its in our backyard. Nothing sexier than a hot girl in a phillies shirt.

On Roy Halladay: worth everything we gave and more. the guy is a complete master on the mound. he’s exactly what you want at the top of the rotation. I got news for you Johan, he’s better than you. It’s like he’s almost to good for Philly. we’re better represented by the brett myers of the world. not for nothing though i’m REALLY glad Roy’s our guy.

51. Ben

April 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

also, i am not saying that i don’t wish everyone was into the game and super attentive. i’m a die hard, and my day is happier or sadder depending on how the phils do that day.

but getting angry over actions of others that is totally expected given the scenarios, will only make the fan base more divisive and make you not enjoy the game. obviously if someone harms you or potentially will harm you or others (or themselves) then react accordingly, but otherwise enjoy the rise of the phillies fandom.

52. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 10:49 am

Actually, THIS year he came to spring training MORE prepared than last year. I have no doubt that Cole is focused and will be just fine. Will every start be a win? No. But, then every one of Roy’s starts won’t yield a win either.

I’m just saying we need to give this kid a chance…..and, remember…..
    he’s still just a kid.

It’s been well documented that last year he was coming off a year in 2008 where he threw a lot of innings and abused the off-season with the post WS banquet circuit. He approach heading into this season is completely different.

53. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

this is the most 100% DEAD ON article I’ve read on here in forever!!!! Great Job . . .

The difference between Rolen, Schilling, Lindros, Barkley, Iverson, McNabb and COLE HAMELS .. IS THAT COLE HAMELS ACTUALLY WON A CHAMPIONSHIP!!

I’ve said that to so many people about the being spoiled by success and the new fans. etc.. that it was always great to look in the paper, see what the pitching matchup was, and then decide to go down to a game that night.. or see that the weather was going to be great, and then decide to head down.

Back in 2007.. final homestand of the season, I think we were playing the Braves with like 5 games left in the season, battling the Mets for the NL EAST . . . . they gave out rally towels that night, and there was like 37,000 fans there that night . and I remember being so pissed that our “fans” weren’t there to help with the homefield advantage

fast forward a few years, and you can’t buy a ticket to a meaningful game for anything less than $50 . . . It amazes me the amount of people that pay good money for tickets, they stay in the parking lot until the 3rd inning.. go to Ashburn Alley in the 5th (which last through the 6th standing in line) .. and then leave the game to go back to the parking lot by the 8th inning to go drink more

…like you said, fans can do what they want with their tickets, but it seems like Citizens Bank Park is just “the place to be” . . ..

54. AMS

April 14, 2010 at 10:57 am

Fine in 2010 he was supposedly more prepared but his crap from last year gave him a very short leash. We all know the mortal sin in Philly is for a player to come across as anything less than 100% effort and/or to make the same error ad nauseum. Philly also does not give unyielding support for past heroics if said sin is commited. I agree its not fair to write Cole off as a fluke or a bust but its inevitable he’s going to get ridden for basically short changing the fan base last season and openly admiting his frustration and discontent.

55. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

Dear Phellow Phillies Phans,

Can we please stop saying that Cole Hamels was “unprepared” for the baseball season in 2009?

If you truly are a baseball/Phillies fan… than you surely understand how a HUGE increase in Innings Pitched in 2008 (40% more workload than his previous career high). . . combined with the LONG postseason … and the shorter postseason, due not only to that extra month of baseball . . . but also because teams reported early with the 2009 World Baseball Classic… Gave him next to nothing left in the tank (aka his pitching arm)

The decreased velocity and lack of pitch control in 2009 was surely a sign that he had arm fatigue.. not that he was “unprepared.”

The What-have-you-done-for-me-Lately nonsense needs to stop, because this actually HAS done something for us lately… he carried our team, and our city to the first Championship we’ve seen in decades.

Stop BOOING a Champion, you front-runnin bastards!

Love Always,

Don M

56. bfo_33

April 14, 2010 at 11:04 am

Chuck – blasphemy. Roy WILL win every game……. at least until he loses one. I’m sticking with 31-0 until he proves otherwise.
    Still haven’t heard if Jimmy is hitting the DL. Anybody see/hear anything definitive?

57. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 11:04 am

Don, excellent point about Cole actually WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP . As much as he has all of my support….I neglected to even think of that in my comments. But people forget and it’s always sort of like “What have you done for me lately?”

15+ wins and last year is forgotten. Mark my words.

58. TODDFROMFAIRMOUNT

April 14, 2010 at 11:04 am

Bandwagon phans are a very important part of helping pay for our 140+ mill. $ payroll and to keep some of the stars around for a while longer. Don’t worry, the days of getting an easier and cheaper ticket will be here sooner than you think. Camelot and Utopia in MLB don’t last forever. ie 1984-1992, ouch.

59. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

Exactly, how many innings did the dude throw in 2008? You guys think you can rebound from that if you were a major league pitcher??

60. Phylan

April 14, 2010 at 11:12 am

The Cole negativity is going to look pretty hilarious in a few months, so I guess I’m looking forward to it.

What “decreased velocity” in 2009? His fastball averaged 90 mph, just like it has basically every other year in his career.

61. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 11:12 am

Something tells me that we won’t even have to repeat 1984-1992 in order to get a cheaper ticket. One second place season will guarantee that. A lot of fans will be oouuuttaaa heeeere….(sorry , I couldn’t resist)

62. I'll boo whoever I want

April 14, 2010 at 11:25 am

I pay for my ticket! That’s give me the right, no, the obligation to boo any player I feel like. If I want to drink beer at a baseball game, that is my choice. If you want to keep score, that is your choice. People are different, get over it. The drunk guy buying beer after beer at the stadium spends $40-$50 each game. The guy keeping score might spend $5. The drunks are helping to sign good players more than the scorekeepers.

Also, whatever happened to fat guys with no shirts on at baseball games? All the skimpy clothes are now being worn by hot young chicks in their 20s. This is horrible. I want to see 45 year old, 300 pound men with hairy chests with their shirts off at the game. What happened to all of them.

63. Phan in Atl

April 14, 2010 at 11:29 am

I always crack up when when “die hard” fans start slamming “bandwagoners”. I was raised my my Philly born mom who shoved Philly sports teams down my throat from birth. Anyone thinks it’s been easy being a phan growing up in Atlanta? The late 70’s and early 80’s was great, but once the Braves started their run in ’91 I took alot of crap. During that time the Braves’ fanbase exploded. Packed stadium, everyone with an Atl hat and jersey. Well, the last couple years have been mediocre for Atlanta, but guess what… all those bandwagoners are still Braves fans. Who cares why some people became fans, just be happy that more and more people have embraced our Phillies. This run isn’t gonna end anytime soon.
    Hell, be glad you get to overpay for tix at CBP. I go to Turner Field 6 times a years to see the Phils and have to endure the damn Tomahawk Chop everytime the Braves get risp.

64. The Original Chuck P

April 14, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’m a regular on here and I’m normally very positive but I’m not feeling this post at all… there are points that I agree with and points that I disagree with but I think that in the end, it really comes down to a matter of opinion.

Do I think booing Hamels is cool? No… sometimes, boos might be warranted but not on opening day and not after a semi-productive outing. His performance wasn’t great but the last time I checked, a win was a win. Opening day should be a day to appreciate what each player has done… Hamels has done a lot for this team.

Halladay buzz… well deserved. The guy is the greatest pitcher in the game today and he’s playing for the most potent lineup in all of baseball. In the NL and on this team, he has a chance to do something really special. 25 wins is not out of the question… more than that is possible. There should be a buzz… I’ll be there on Saturday 🙂

This is the part where I think the post went wrong…

Being upset about how other people choose to spend their time and the cost of tickets is stupid… you should be happy that it’s a young crowd and that tickets are hard to come by; it means that this team has made it. There are gripes that can be had about fairweather fans but asking the ladies to dress more conservatively just seems unamerican. Look, I think it would be kind of weird to expect a single lady to come to a game for any other reason than to meet a guy… a nice handsome Phillies fan. What she chooses to wear and how she chooses to present herself is her business… I would be lying if I said that I didn’t look forward to seeing the lovely ladies at the Phillies game.

Older people have a different appreciation for the value of money than young folks… home opener tickets were the hottest ticket around and many of my older friends were appalled that tickets were selling for upwards of $150. Younger folks want the hottest ticket no matter how much it costs.

The home opener should be a celebration. If I had scored tickets, I would have been down there early tailgating and enjoying myself… some people get out of hand and this comes up all the time but complaining about it on opening day… really? Let’s extend a mulligan and worry about attitude and behavior in July when the season takes form.

65. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 11:39 am

The difference with Atlanta is just that…..It’s Atlanta.

Philadelphia is really more of a football town….and probably always will be. The Eagles are disfunctional right now but still fill Lincoln Financial every game. Hell, on opening day, sports talk was dominated by McNabb talk.

IF/WHEN the Phillies suck again…..those “fair-weather” fans will be gone……not to reappear until the next great run.

66. Bobby D

April 14, 2010 at 11:43 am

It is fairly frustrating when I can’t buy 2 tickets for myself and my girlfriend to see a game on a Saturday. Especially when it seems like half of the frat guys and sorority broads on my facebook page have already begun tailgating for the game. I miss throwing some food and a few beers in the car and buying walk ups on a whim. Oh well, guess I’ll just watch them in TV.

67. FillyP

April 14, 2010 at 11:47 am

“Success breeds new fans, which gives money to the org to continue to put out a solid product.”

Ding ding ding. I also agree with the replies from 4daysrest. Without all of these dumb, “bandwagon” fans the organization makes no money and the product on the field suffers. Would anyone really care to trade-in the Phils recent success for the old days? Personally, I like watching October baseball.

I’m with you 100% on Cole. He’s got the talent to bounce back and we’re not depending on him to carry the staff, much less pressure. I think a lot of people will eat their words at the end of the season. To the guy saying he’s had a “mediocre start” to 2010 – are you joking? In two games?

Also, who is complaining about getting tickets? Balderdash! I bought a six-pack with a buddy for the third consecutive season just a couple of weeks ago. We’ve got field tickets to see Doc pitch on Saturday. You can get 400’s in the package for $20-22.

Lastly, who the hell complains about eye candy at the ballpark?!

68. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

Yea I dont think that people are complaining that people are spending money . . .

But it would be nice to have a real “Home Field Advantage” from the people that go to the games.. support your team while you’re there.

That is “BEING A FAN – 101”

I didn’t get to the Home Opener.. but watching it on TV, I was semi-shocked that it took so long for fans to cheer for Hamels, when there were runners on base, 3-2 count with two outs . . . like you could slowly hear this buildup coming from the UpperDecks.. that made its way down into the expensive seats..

Opening Day.. Hamels on the mound.. the fans should be up on their feet and cheering every single chance they get. ..

No problem with the people spending their money and buying the beers, etc . . . but would think we’d all want Phillies fans to actually cheer for the Phillies while their at the games ??

Given the choice between being able to buy a ticket on game-day… or having an outstanding team, and having a tough time getting tickets …

I’ll take what we have now.. GLADLY…

But its a shame it can’t be both… and that’s what people are a little “puzzled” about… why people would pay the money to buy a ticket, but spend the entire time in Ashburn Alley eating crab fries, and on Facebook on your phone. .
    ….sell your ticket if you dont want to watch the game, just go tailgate if that’s all you want to do anyway . . .

69. Joe

April 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

Some of these comments are ridiculous… EVERY team has fans jump on board when there doing well. Half of you clowns are these type of fans. And for the guy that said he wished the phils were back to last place please.. you sound like an idiot, think before you comment on here.. WHO CARES if you were a die hard fan back in the day so were thousands of people just enjoy the success and stop complaining about new fans

70. FillyP

April 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

The Phillies just haven’t had a whole lot of runaway success as an organization. All I’m saying is this is a golden age and you older fans that have been around forever should embrace it, not live in the past. There wouldn’t be any “bandwagon” if the team was playing poorly.

Also, last year the Phillies sold out nearly all of their home games and 100% of their playoff games. Maybe instead of griping about not being able to get a gameday ticket you should, you know, plan a little ahead? Stop being lazy!

71. FillyP

April 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

69/81 sellouts last year. Get with the program.

72. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Nobody’s bitching about “new fans”. That’s great. The organization needs them. The city needs them.

BUT….seriously….tell me just how many of these “new fans” will still be around after this magical run is over?? I’m sure that some will be the next wave of true diehards…..but I would be willing to bet a thing of Crab Fries that MOST of them will filter away.

73. Philly Texan

April 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Disinterested fans at regular season games is one result of being in the playoffs every year.

I saw this with the Flyers growing up. We had season tickets — to the Phils too, but they weren’t in the playoffs much, of course.

From 1996-2003, Flyers fans knew their team would be in the playoffs and the most meaningful games wouldn’t happen for months. It’s almost like they saved their intensity. During the long hockey season, the home crowds became pretty quiet. They watched the game and cheered for goals, but they weren’t that into it.

Maybe it’s the same with the Phils. After the last two playoff runs — and with a long baseball season ahead — maybe folks just can’t get the mojo going this early when they know the Phils will probably be in the postseason.

I’m not saying it’s a valid excuse. Most of the folks on this site live and die with every game.

But if we do make the playoffs, I bet the demeanor will change….people won’t be skipping chunks of the game or fiddling with their cell phones.

74. Phylan

April 14, 2010 at 12:31 pm

That’s a good point, this team could be in for a rough period after 2012ish, and it won’t necessarily be anyone’s fault, just a necessary rebuilding phase. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the fanbase then.

75. The Original Chuck P

April 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Philly Texan makes a great point… maybe part of the reason that most fans don’t seem as interested in every pitch right now and might not seem to appreciate the early success of our bullpen is that we expect success. The regular season is nice and all but it’s all about the postseason… fans will take more time during the regular season to enjoy the ballpark because once the playoffs start, it’s all business. Right or wrong, that has something to do with it.

BTW… the guys that are glued to their seats, filling out their lineup cards aren’t the ones that create a Philadelphia home field advantage.

76. bfo_33

April 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

New stadium, amazing ace, stable core of likable guys, potential for success. That’s what got me into the Phils in the late 70s when my brothers were more into football. I see the same thing happening to my 9 year old. Some of the partiers will come and go with the standings, but the kids who get hooked now will be there in the future whether it is Mike Schmidt or Rick Schu manning 3rd.

I also think you can contribute to a home field advantage without a constant slew of profanity. Cheer loudly (even boo loudly when appropriate, such as any time JD Drew visists,…), but f-bombs are far more effective when used sparingly.

77. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I think there are more than just the two types of fans mentioned

A: Listens to the game on his headphones, fills out his lineup card, has the 1993 NL CHAMPIONS pin attached to his 1980 maroon hat… and gets PISSED at you if you stand up to cheer for anything.

B: Goes in late, drunk… gets partially seperated from her friends as soon as they walk in the gates. Goes directly to the bathroom because she drank too many beers in the parking lot. .. then right to Ashburn Alley, on her cell phone, then stands around taking pictures with her friends.. then in line for food and beer, back to the batroom.. leave early to hit McFadden’s “before it gets too crowded”

MOST fans aren’t either of those

78. Matt M

April 14, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I’ll be honest, one problem I have with Phillies games anymore is guys who are in their late-20s early-30s acting like complete jackasses when they show up completely hammered. And don’t tell me it doesn’t happen because I was in Washington last week and saw it. I’m not saying go to the game and don’t drink, because me and my friends do. But we don’t go overboard with it and it isn’t our only motivation for going to a game like it is for a lot of people who make it impossible for people who really want to go to actually enjoy themselves.

79. Gaze_NJ

April 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Bandwagon fans certainly help sustain success with the money that they shell out and for that reason I can’t criticize them too much. But personally, the frat party atmosphere at CBP has made me reconsider my season ticket purchases each of the last 3 years. I love the team, but there are times when I enjoy the game more sitting in front of my 42″ or sitting on the patio with a few friends listening to 1210.

80. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 1:19 pm

“the kids that get hooked now will be there in the future”

Very true statement. I also see it with my 12 year old. He started really getting into it around ’06-’07….about the right age. He loves and appreciates ALL the players…not just Utley and Howard. He was just as thrilled to get Chad Durbin’s signature on his 2008 Trophy photo as he was getting that of Rollins, Howard, Werth, etc. The kid is hooked and will be a phan for life.

81. Bob in Bucks

April 14, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Booing is usually boorish and it has become acceptable in Philly to boo. It is representative of the general lack of civility but especially part of the Philly scene. I cringe when we boo our own.
    Yes, there are people at the game because of the social aspects rather than us pure baseball fans. When I compare it to games at the Vet where the average age was pushing over 40, I have to say I think it is good for baseball to have younger people come. Even if the guys are drunk and boorish. The only thing I can’t stand is the cursing, even when kids are around.
    As to the girls wearing skimpy outfits, I expect the Phillies should raise the ticket prices for this additional entertainment!

82. Brett

April 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Cole Hamels would rathe make commercials than pitch well. In baseball and life, the second you stop making yourself better, you’re making yourself worse. Hamels won a World Series and decided he was the best pitcher in the game. He stopped working. I’ll boo him until he starts acting like a pitcher and not a discontented brat.

If you’re a baseball purist, watch the game at home. Unfortunately, stadiums aren’t just for watching baseball anymore. They’re glorified bars that just happen to broadcast baseball games. Thats just where the game is at right now.

God forbid we shoudl have a good team to cheer for. Now instead of complaining about the team, we complain about all the scantily clad women and fake phans? We’ve been spoiled.

If you don’t like booing, go to St. Louis. Philly isn’t for you.

83. Bethany

April 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Been a Phillies fan my whole life, scoring the games at home on my couch with my Dad. Bandwagoners can be obnoxious, but the energy of the crowd on those decision games is worth it. It’s infectious. For those fans that don’t pay attention to the game, I’d rather have them in line for an hour to get crab fries then sitting in front of me talking about everything except the game.

The scantily dressed girls are a little much, but whatever. If they need to wear booty shorts and boob shirts to be sexy, have at it. Some of us know how to work a Phillies tshirt without that fuss.

84. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Brett . . . so its cool for Utley and Howard to make commercials, but Hamels isn’t allowed to? Becuse he only won us ONE championship?

Would he be allowed to make extra money doing commercials (which usually take a few hours to shoot).. if he won TWO championships?

Cole Hamels is a Champion… and the best homegrown pitcher since . . . ??? I can’t even think of anyone

Keep booing the guys that don’t deserve it, and then you’re also the same guy that calls WIP crying in 2012, when Hamels doesn’t want to resign here because the fans boo him

He struggled last year.. he’s a 26 year old.. he’s still developing, and not even in his prime yet. keep booing, its your right… and then boo him again when he leaves because of bad fans like you

Hamels could save some of these people from a fire, and they’d still make comments about how he didn’t care enough

85. Bobby D

April 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm

anybody know the lineup for tonight?

April 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

All I ask is for people who make it to CBP:

1. Cheer for the Phillies.
    2. Pay attention to the game. Drink and have fun, but watch the game!

April 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Brett: “[Stadiums are] glorified bars that just happen to broadcast baseball games.”

Couldn’t disagree more with that statement… Bars/food/entertainment should be secondary to the game…

If you’re going to a BASEBALL game, the priority is to watch a baseball game!
    If you’re going to a TENNIS match, the priority is to watch a tennis match!
    If you’re going to a FRAT PARTY, the priority is to get drunk!
    If you’re going to WORK, the priority is to work!

88. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

When Hamels is gone….and he will be at some point because a lot of fans will have, unfortunately, run him out of town…. I want to see what people’s reactions are then.

What’s that fairy tale or line in a fairy tale about a boy that “cried wolf” one too many times??

Same thing here. When he’s gone and succeeding elsewhere….it will be too late to take it all back.

89. Ed R.

April 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Slight correction Manny….

If you’re going to WORK, the priority is to not get fired, thus allowing you to continue to collect a pay check. I guess if you truly love your job you go to work to work but that is the minority I would think.

90. Ed R.

April 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Charlie Manuel on MLB Radio: “Evidently Jimmy Rollins has got what they call a between a 2 and 1 degree calf tear…he’s gonna miss some time. How much, I don’t know yet, but he’s hurt pretty bad.”

Typically you are talking about 3-6 weeks before he returns.

91. Philly Texan

April 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

If Hamels is getting booed it’s because of they way he acted in the postseason last year.

He threw up his hands in the Dodgers series and showed up not only his teammate, but Chase Utley of all people.

Then he pouted after Game 3 of the series and showed a terrible attitude and said he “couldn’t wait for it to be over” when his team was still battling for a world championship (and he still might have to make another start).

I’m not condoning the booing. And I agree with Don that Hamels is still maturing and deserves time.

But I do think his behavior last postseason left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths and he’s got some work to do to win some fans back to his side.

He need to have a good season and it’ll all be forgotten. And I think he will have a good season. His pitches and his head seem to be much improved this year.

April 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Great article on booing Cole Hamels:

“… Look people, if you want to be wild-eyed overreacting fans like those in New York or Boston, fine. But there was a time when Philly fans recognized talent and desire when they saw it and didn’t make empty-headed judgments about players.”

Here: http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2010/04/14/sports/doc4bc5345cde026104447886.txt

93. Bob

April 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, Hamels sure stopped working. He worked relentlessly this off-season to REBOUND from a bad year. He worked on his curveball and added a new pitch to try to counteract the average (not even bad, average) 2009 season he had.

He held himself accountable and hasn’t been making excuses. He learned from his mistake of showing up to 2009 Spring Training unprepared, and he prepared himself for this season. And not for nothing, he’s 2-0. Was he dominant? No. Was he good enough? Damn right. Will he be better than last year? I’d bet a lot on it.

94. Ben

April 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

i hate that people have this idea that players have to be training 24/7 in the offseason. just b/c we have more access and more information on what happens in the offseason doesn’t mean we are all of a sudden knowledgeable on what makes good players great.

baseball is not even an endurance sport, its a sport of timing, quickness, sharpness and strength. you can only work on that stuff for so long before it has a negative effect on you. they have time to do stuff other than watch tape, lift, run, and practice. commercials and all that other stuff they have time for, its not the reason for their bad performances.

95. Chuck

April 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Not to be a broken record…..but…..

15+ wins.

96. The Original Chuck P

April 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm

But Manny, those are your priorities… they don’t have to be someone else’s. If someone wants to pay $40 to stand in line for $10 crab fries and drink $8 beers (rather than watch the game), that’s their prerogative. I don’t think it’s anyone’s right to tell someone else how to have a good time… I might think you’re an idiot for spending your money frivolously but that doesn’t mean you’re wrong. The Phillies wouldn’t be selling beer if they didn’t want people to buy them (even in mass quantities)… the stadiums are glorified bars for people that want them to be glorified bars and they’re ballparks for people that want to watch games and they’re filled with fun things for kids (because most kids aren’t really interested in Dave Herndon’s ERA… they’re interested in the Phanatic and running the bases out in centerfield the fast pitch over by the crab fries and the jungle gym in the second level, first baseline). The stadium is whatever you want it to be and it should be whatever I want it to be, too.

That doesn’t give anyone a free pass to act like a buffoon… be respectful and mindful of where you’re at (a very public place with children).

97. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm

***philly.com***

Rollins to DL, Valdez up from Lehigh Valley
    Jimmy Rollins, as expected, was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Phillies Wednesday because of the strained right calf he suffered running wind sprints before Monday’s home opener.

The Phillies have replaced Rollins on the roster by purchasing the contract of infielder Wilson Valdez from triple-A Lehigh Valley.

The MRI of Rollins’ calf Tuesday revealed the shortstop has a strain between a Grade 1 and Grade 2. Rollins is walking around in a protective boot on his left foot. His stint on the D.L. is retroactive to Tuesday, which means he’ll be eligible to return April 28 when the team is playing in San Francisco.

Juan Castro will make his second straight start in place of Rollins Wednesday against Washington, but is likely to be moved from first to eight in the batting order with center fielder Shane Victorino moving from seventh to the leadoff spot during Rollins’ stint on the D.L. Look for catcher Carlos Ruiz to move up from eighth to seventh in the order.

***

98. JeffS

April 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Wow! An entry that results in this much reaction and not all one-sided reaction must be good.

I’m not going to complain about the appearance of the female patrons (except that my stepdaughter, who will grimace when she reads this, had better not dress like that!). But the post was right about the lack of knowledge and/or attention of the new fans. I guess some will maybe get drawn in and become more knowledgeable as time goes on, and others will, like I think Chuck said, disappear after the next 2nd place season.

I think a lot of the criticism of Cole is overdone. He’s young, and if he’s a head case, it’s because he wants to be good so badly that he gets too mad at himself when he’s not doing great. Would you rather have someone who is happy about being mediocre? He’s working like crazy on that cutter, and good on him for it. I hope he can have 4 good pitches by the end of the season, prove people wrong, and that everyone can get behind him in late summer and the playoffs.

99. Don M

April 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Hamels last year, acted poorly, out of frustration to himself . . . the “couldn’t wait for the season to be over” comment was OBVIOUSLY about HIS season, and how he wasn’t getting the results he wanted

as usual, people tried to turn that into some kind of story like he didn’t care what happened with the Phillies last season. . .

It used to be that we backed people until they gave us reason NOT TO … that isn’t the case with Hamels, and I can’t figure out why..??

He’s homegrown, he’s good, he won us a Championship . . . he’s nice in-person, he works with charity . . .

but he had a 10-11 record last year, so people BOO him. . .

And then the national media, realizes that our fans are morons.. they call us out on it.. and then we’ll have week long debates about how the National media treats our fans unfairly..

100. The Original Chuck P

April 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Soooo Valdez is out of options, right? So, we’ll have to put him on waivers once J-Roll returns… which tells me that they don’t expect J-Roll to be back any time soon. Valdez is hitting .457 in AAA… small sample size but I’m sure that’s what they’re looking at.

101. Adam

April 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Great article. I think everyone needs to pause judgment on Cole. It has been two starts and no matter what you want to say, his starts have produced two Phillies wins. I obviously would feel better about him if he gave us two stellar outings but a win is a win. It is promising that he can give you 100+ pitches this early in the season. Suspend judgment people. Give the guy a chance to prove that his talent is more akin to the 2008 Hamels and not the 2009 Hamels.

I am very dissapointed to hear about Rollins headed to the DL. The guy has looked focused and determined since day 1. I don’t think it will hurt the team that much (I predict somewhere in the 15-10 range while he is out….that would put us at 21-11) but it is frustrating cause I feel like he was primed for a monster year. With that said, I am glad these sort of injuries are happening in April and not in mid-summer or (knock on wood) in September. I am hoping Romero, Lidge, Blanton, Rollins will all be back and super healthy by mid-May.

In terms of the women at CBP, I have no problem with it. I am glad to see more people paying attention to this team; especially women. This team as a whole has a great personality and it is no wonder people are drawn to them. While I have no problem with the women, I have a massive problem with the bandwagon males (especially the ones that would not have been caught dead wearing Phillies red 3-4 years ago).

Sadly this town is made up of sports fans (group A) and Eagles fans (group B…they are the ones that are I have a problem with). I don’t want to see any fat slob Eagles fans at Phillies games. Go root for that crap team across the street that is run purely like a business and knows that they can be millions of dollars under the cap because not matter what they will draw 60k a home game.

Here are typical characteristics of pure Eagles fans that are jumping on the Phillies bandwagon: (if you are offended by any of these then you are probably a bandwagon fan)

1. Believed the Phillies sucked prior to 2007 (clearly they have no knowledge that the Phillies narrowly missed the playoffs many times between 2001 and 2006)

2. Pronounce Halladay: Holliday or Hollidae (Philly accent)

3. Yell balk as loud as they can when they see the “fake to third, throw to first move” by a pitcher

4. Think that Cole Hamels sucks

5. Does not understand how good/valuable a guy like Placido Polanco is

6. Can not even begin to explain to you what double-play depth means

7. Yells E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles when the Phillies are down 5-0 in the 7th (mind you most of the time the Phillies will come back and win this game)

8. And finally….refuse to admit that the Phillies are a better run organization in every way then the uninteresting, boring, pompous for no good reason Eagles.

102. Mostone

April 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Bandwagon jumpers are all contributing to the success of the team and seeing all of Phils caps all over the place just makes me smile.

The only thing that would make me boo Cole would be dementia wiping away the memories of 2008.

April 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

On a final note, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a strong correlation between fans who boo Hamels and bandwagoners…

104. Cadillac Time!!!!

April 14, 2010 at 4:12 pm

@ Adam. Nice job. That about sums it up. Those are the jerks that can’t put a sentence together. They’re invading our tailgate lots and stadiums!

105. The Dipsy

April 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Top 5 most exciting Philadelphia acquisitions of the free agent era:

1. Pete Rose
    2. Julius Erving
    3. Moses Malone
    4. Eric Lindros (and I hate hockey)
    5. Roy Halladay

The Dipsy

106. WFC010

April 14, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I really wish people would back off Hamels, and give him some CREDIT for actively trying to IMPROVE all off-season, which I thought is what fans had wanted to see in the first place. He’s been working on new pitches, and he obviously is yet to master some of them, but at least he’s WORKING ON IT, and we should start seeing better results from them fairly soon.

The amount of disrespect he has been getting lately really upsets me, and i’m hoping some of the fans will wake up before it’s too late, and we end up losing Cole to the Yankees or something.

107. Evelyn

April 14, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I am totally with you on the ticket buying problems. No longer can I call up a friend an hour before the game and say we’re going–now everything must be done too far in advance

108. johan

April 14, 2010 at 8:18 pm

HAMELS IS OVERRATED TO BEGIN WITH. HES NOT BAD BUT IN 08 HIS BEST YEAR HIS ERA WAS 3.09 WHICH IS GOOD BUT ITS NOT GODLIKE OR KING LIKE, THE REAL KING IN BASEBALL IS KING FELIX

109. Brian Sr. of CO

April 15, 2010 at 2:05 am

I really honestly find it hillarious that the same people who boo Moyer for taking the mound, and giving up 5 runs in 6 innings (actually all innings were scoreless, except one really big innings), yet defend Hamels for 4 runs in 5 or less innings because he was the 2008 WS MVP.

“The What-have-you-done-for-me-Lately nonsense needs to stop,…

Stop BOOING a Champion, you front-runnin bastards!”

So my suggestion is either be fair about it, and NOT boo Moyer, or be quite. Thats just funny. Hamels can go out and give up 4 runs in 5 innings, and alot of people are way “but he was the 2008 WS MVP” (news flash, its 2010). Yet Moyer can go out and throw a 2 hit shutout through 6 innings (he did it last season) and people say, “but it was against a bad offense” or “if anyone else where pitching it would have been a no hitter, or a complete game. What I say is be FAIR. Either boo no one, or boo them all when they play HORRIBLE. Personally I am a HUGE Moyer fan, most of the other regulars on here now it, BUT I CAN and HAVE had harsh comments on Moyer (and other players) if they play like complete junk on a particular day. Its doesnt mean I dont like them or want them gone. Its because I have seen better from them. I will boo them when they play poorly, and I will cheer LOUDLY when they play the way we all know they can.