Odds and Ends: Haren, Lopez, Lee, Brown – Phillies Nation
Posts

Odds and Ends: Haren, Lopez, Lee, Brown

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com has just minutes ago tweeted that the Phillies are interested in Diamondbacks ace Dan Haren. He also says that Arizona is scouting the Phillies farm system for a possible match.

Haren is having an off year by his standards (7-6, 4.56 ERA, 1.35 WHIP) but he’s also stuck in an unenviable situation with an Arizona team that is plodding along at the bottom of the standings. Haren is still one of the premier strikeout guys in all of baseball and would make the Halladay/Hamels duo an incredible trio. His contract is for $8.25 million this season, and comes very cheap for the next three. He’s set to make $12.75 million in 2011 and 2012 with a $15.5 million option for 2013. That is pennies compared to some other contracts for starting pitchers recently (see: Zambrano, Burnett). Money here shouldn’t be an option.

-When the news broke that the Phillies had a scout planted at Yankee Stadium for Cliff Lee’s last start, ears perked. For good reason, too. Everyone in Philadelphia wants this guy back, in the worst way. Could it be that the Phillies were merely scouting other players?

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, the Phils could have been looking at infielder Jose Lopez, a possible insurance policy for the battered infield. Lopez can play multiple positions and isn’t owed much money this year ($3 million in 2010) or next ($5 million club option with a $25k buyout in ’11). Defensively, he’s not nearly on par with Utley or Polanco, and this season his bat has failed him. Lopez is hitting just .244 with 30 RBI and a sad .607 OPS. If you look at the team around him in Seattle, you’ll realize those numbers may be skewed a bit because of how awful everyone is in that lineup.

Would Lopez be welcomed here? Baker says that it wouldn’t take much, perhaps just a mid-tiered prospect, for the Mariners to unload him.

-Now back to Lee. There’s no doubt that Charlie Kerfield, the Phillies top scout in the organization, had an eye on Cliff Lee. Everyone knows what he’s capable of and you can be sure that the Phils will inquire about him – maybe they already have. There are two major factors that would hold up such a deal.

1. Prospects: Do the Phillies have more than the Mets, Yankees, Braves, Rangers, etc.? They aren’t giving up Domonic Brown, who we’ll get to later, and their second level guys don’t appear to be on par with some other teams.  Can they persuade Seattle to give him back?

2. Will Ruben Amaro and the organization admit failure if they attempt to bring him back? My thought is, yes. And for a general manager, and front office as a whole, to concede that would look and smell bad. In this town, you can lose a lot of backers quickly for mistakes of this caliber. Amaro seems like a very prideful man, so would he be willing to bite the bullet personally to try and wrangle Cliff Lee once again? It could be a PR nightmare coupled with a joyous celebration by Phillies fans who wanted Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay together from the start.

-More good news for Domonic Brown. Not only did he smash his second home run in as many games at Triple-A Lehigh Valley last night, he was named the #1 prospect in baseball by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus. Brown raked all season with AA-Reading, so the promotion to the Iron Pigs wasn’t much of a surprise. Now, we all wait with bated breath for Brown’s tour in the majors to begin.

1. Brian Michael

July 1, 2010 at 10:39 am

It’s of little consequence but the Inky mentioned today that Haren is hitting .435 with 6 doubles, a home run and a .630 slugging %.

On the flip side, he’s allowed 131 hits, 59 earned runs and 19 homers – all worst in the league…

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Odds and Ends: Haren, Lopez, Lee, Brown --- -- Topsy.com

3. BS

July 1, 2010 at 11:07 am

Haren’s been extremely unlucky this year, if the price for Haren is cheaper than the price for Lee, I’d go for him instead. Especially since he’s locked up for 2 more years.

I think any PR backlash against Ruben for admitting the mistake would be outweighed by the joy of getting Cliff Lee back. As long as the cost isn’t Dom Brown, I’m not sure people would care… unless we got him back only to miss the playoffs.

4. NickFromGermantown

July 1, 2010 at 11:12 am

At this point, getting Lee and bringing up Brown could be what this team needs. Lee brings an intensity that I think is missing right now. I’m not saying Halladay is bad in this regard, but I don’t think he’s as cocky as Lee is. Brown could help to make this team more youthful and add a hunger for the postseason that may be missing. Not that the Phillies don’t hunger for the postseason, but maybe they have gotten complacent.

5. NickFromGermantown

July 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

I question the notion that there would be a PR nightmare. I think the PR nightmare has already happened and would only be intensified with Amaro refusing to admit that he was wrong.

6. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

Doesn’t Haren always suck in the 2nd half of the season?

Domonic Brown is untradeable ..

and if Utley and Polanco aren’t healthy … there is no point in adding for guys because without the #2 and #3 hitters in your lineup, who happen to be your 2b and 3b … we won’t win without those two

7. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

Do people actually think the Mariners would give us LEE and NOT DEMAND DOMONIC BROWN in return??

Here’s hoping that Lee goes to the Twins.. and the Phillies get HEALTHY

July 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

Ugh. It would’ve been much easier to just keep the guy in the first place, huh?

Haren is an OUTSTANDING pitcher… with a great contract and he’s 29… he’d be a solid pick up but I wonder how much it would take to get Haren… probably more than Lee, considering the former is not a rental.

Can we tell Seattle we’ll give them Aumont, Ramirez, Gilles back for Lee, and call it a deal? It would suck PR wise… but whatever, I think I’d do it.

July 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

I agree Don.. Seattle will be looking for a blue-chip prospect for Lee.. especially since there seems to be a lot of demand for him.

At the same time, Dom Brown being ranked No.1, means that it will take true guts from ANY team to ask for him in a potential trade…

10. Sean

July 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

I told Corey in another article about Dan Haren. I really hope we get him.

11. NJ

July 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

Amen to that Don M- I wonder if the Nats will get into the bidding on Lee considering they have the money and could sell a guy on them being very good in a couple of years a la The Rays.

I’d love Haren but considering the D-Backs have been reported to want to keep both Haren and Jackson next year I don’t see how it happens without the kind of package that they paid for him.

12. NJ

July 1, 2010 at 11:30 am

I wouldn’t give Aumont, Gillies and Ramirez for Lee, it sounds great now but when he walks to a team that’s gone shopping and left us with a 2nd rounder and a sandwich pick used on raw prospects years away it’ll look terrible.

13. The Dipsy

July 1, 2010 at 11:37 am

Wow. All this talk and we have no prospects to really trade for Lee. Jonathan Singleton is KILLING it and pretty soon he will be our #2 minor league player. You could trade him. How would Seattle feel about a package of Singleton, Ramirez/Aumont, and Madson for Lee. Madson has a good price tag on him and Ramirez looks to be progressing. If Seattle or Arizona asks about Werth, then you have to think about sending him because it is clear that he is not resigning. PLAYERS WE CAN TRADE (that other teams want) Shane, Werth, Madson, Blanton (he has a nice price tag) any minor leaguer but Brown. That said, the Phils will do nothing like that. Oh, and by the way…..Happ won’t pitch this year.

The Dipsy

14. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:37 am

Yea I dont think Haren gets traded …. with him, Jackson, and Ian Kennedy .. they’ve got some semi-affordable talent in the rotation

their bullpen is terrible, and their offense has power, but is K-prone..

No need for them to trade Haren, who doesn’t make much money.

At the same time, I can’t see the Yankees giving up Jesus Montero (or whatever his name is) .. their top catching prospect, for a 1/2 season of Lee

Posada is all but finished as a catcher.. he’s a DH that cathces sometimes, whenever he’s healthy

So I don’t see them wanting to trade their next-in-line for a rental of LEE.. especially when they can outbid everyone else in December and lock him in for 4-5 years

15. Ben

July 1, 2010 at 11:38 am

it amazes me that amaro didn’t foresee that the package he got for lee was a little light.

i’ve been light on the criticism b/c i think in the long run we are better after all those deals then we were before (both as an organization and as a mlb team). but if we had to unload lee, its clear that we could have gotten more than what we did get.

just frustrating.

16. Ben

July 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

agree don, add on that the yanks don’t need lee. anyone seen what their rotation is doing this year? its sick, they don’t need another arm out there.

17. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

Why would Seattle want Madson?
    Why would Seattle want Werth?

18. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

“It’s clear that we could have gotten more than what we did get”

… FROM WHO??

If our offer to the Indians was the BEST that they got for 1.5 years of LEE

who was going to give US a BETTER offer for only 1 year of him???

19. Andrew

July 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

Wouldda loved to have kept Lee, but obviously that didn’t happen. Seattle won’t do a tradeback with the same people. We’d come out behind a quality player, but if they ultimately come out on top, I don’t see why they wouldn’t do it. I’m not familiar with the mets et al’s farm systems, but do they have very good players?

Regarding Haren, there’s no way they’re gonna get rid of him. They have already basically said they are keeping him at least through next year, which won’t change without a solid prospect. I don’t want him anyway.

20. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 11:50 am

The reason that Haren is on the block is because they have those other guys (Jackson, Kennedy)… they’re out of the race and have some nice young pitching. They tried to build around Haren but it’s just not happening… if we can get Dan Haren, I would love to see us do it. He’s affordable and signed for three years… Cliff Lee, I think, is a pipe dream.

Trade Ibanez and Blanton or Happ (not too keen on that one), bring up D Brown… sound like a plan?

21. AZ Phills fan

July 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

As of now the sport talk shows out here say that the only Diamondback that is untouchable is Justin Upton. Everyone else would be “available” if the price is right. Haren is a pretty good pitcher and I think we could get him easier than trying to get Lee back.

22. The Dipsy

July 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Seattle would never want Werth. Maybe Blanton. Hey Chuck….Ibanez and Happ for Lee??? Done if I’m the Phils.

The Dipsy

23. Phan in Atl

July 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Great, now I get to check MLBTR every 15 minutes for breaking news on Cliff Lee possibly coming back.
    Same thread had the Braves as possible suitors. News flash, Atl doesn’t need starting pitching, which is why I think the whole thing is nonsense. Lee, if traded, goes to either the Twins or Mets. The Yankees will sign him in the offseason 6 yrs/$500 million.

24. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 11:57 am

What value would Ibanez, or Happ have right now?

and Blanton is solid, and if he’s not our #3 … shouldn’t he be our #4 ??

25. Ben

July 1, 2010 at 11:58 am

don, the reason i say that is that the packages being discussed are better than the package we got for him (imo) b/c these are major league ready prospects being thrown around.

add in that the team would have gotten a full season of him, the price should have been higher.

or to think of it another way, would the mariners take the same prospects they gave us back for lee?

26. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Dipsy.. I got back to you on the “UTLEY POLANCO 15 DAY DL” thread … without that “last 4 comments” section on the website though I didn’t know if you would see it

27. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm

In two years, I would bet my house that the Mariners would like to have all 3 of those guys back

The Phillies are known to covet younger prospects that they can get into THEIR system, THEY have control over what pitches they throw, how many.. they can determine if they need to change a pitcher’s delivery (like they just did with Aumont) … they can set the weightlifting and workout programs ..

I think the Phillies have done a great job of developing talent in the past few years … and they’ve done a great job at targeting players that make a difference.. The same scouts that knew it was ok to let Marson go, knew that Werth was worth a look, Scott Eyre would help … JC Romero, and Jose Contreras ..etc ….

28. George

July 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Don’t be surprised if Lee brings in more this year than he did last year. He’s having a much better season than he did last time he was traded, and Seattle seems willing to keep him around if they don’t get what they want. There’s also more competition for him this year, because he is having such a great season–he actually looks like an ace, which he didn’t before.

The Phils making a starter their trade priority I think just shows they have no confidence that Happ will return soon. Blanton’s not the issue, because he’s starting to pitch like he’s capable of, but Kendrick can’t be counted on and any other issues means the rotation is toast. The miserable thing, though, is that if Utley and Polanco don’t return in a hurry, any starter acquisition is a waste of prospects, because they won’t win. Even Cliff Lee would have a bad won/loss record if the lineup contains the likes of Castro, Dobbs and/or Valdez.

29. Ben

July 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Agree with everything you are saying Don, I just think (and honestly, what do I know) that if teams are tossing around blue chip prospects for him now, the Phils could have gotten a blue chip back in the winter. The closer a prospect is to the bigs the better, b/c although you can find and/or polish a rough prospect into a great big leaguer they still are prospects. I’ll take a good, impact, major league ready prospect over a lower level prospect any day.

Will be interesting to see how much of this is speculation and how much is the truth. Will see when the deal goes through.

I said it originally though, we can’t fully evaluate the trade until we see how these prospects pan out. So we’ll see.

30. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Happ is still the reigning NL ROY (sporting news… second in the one that matters but who is counting?)… I think he has tremendous value for a team trying to build cheap; he’s a young pitcher that has had great success in the major leagues. He’s on the mend… why not?

Ibanez doesn’t have any value but we might have to dump salary somewhere… maybe this is the time to deal Jayson Werth. I mean, it would free up $7.5 million and land us a few solid prospects. Ibanez’ contract looks like an albatross right now…

31. Ted Bell

July 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Keith Law also now ranks Domonic Brown as the top prospect in baseball:

“1. Domonic Brown, OF, Philadelphia.
    Is there anything he can’t do? He’s destroying everything in his path in Double-A and is probably just some defensive refinements from being big league ready. I don’t think he’s next off the list to the big leagues, but with Raul Ibanez providing below-average offense and defense in left, I’d have to think the Phils are looking at Brown for a second-half call-up.”

Brown should be the starting leftfielder on July 15. Hopefully, RAJ will realize that the reason why Raul is playing like a 38 year old outfielder at the end of his career is because he ACTUALLY IS a 38 year old outfielder at the end of his career.

I’m not as concerned about starting pitching as others are. This current lineup (especially if Utley requires surgery) will not get this team to the postseason.

I’m Ted Bell.

32. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I really just don’t understand that logic …

If the past two times Lee has been traded, it hasn’t included “BLUE CHIP PROSPECTS”

(Which Carrasco was at one point.. and Aumont was at one point)

Doesn’t it tell you that teams don’t want to give up their BEST young players for a rental??

The Mariners are said to want a CATCHER in return .. Again, I can’t see the Yankees trading their replacement for Posada .. The Twins, with Mauer, can best afford to trade a Catcher …I have no idea what the Mets have, but I know that their farm system was considered THIN last year

33. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Happ also pitched in front of great defense, and outstanding run support …

would Anyone be shocked if last season was Happ’s CAREER YEAR?

Chris Coghlan was also a ROY, and you see how little value he has now … and he’s not a pitcher with a lingering injury..

With Happ’s current value so low, there would be no point in trading him now

34. Ted Bell

July 1, 2010 at 12:24 pm

A Mets deal would include Wilmer Flores as the centerpiece, according to rumor.

35. Ted Bell

July 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Chris Coghlan has little value? He’s hit .350 over the past month with a .450 OBP. Last season he had the most hits in the game after the All Star break and he’s on the way to doing the same thing this year. He’s a great leadoff hitter.

36. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Chris Coghlan is hitting .282 after starting the season in a brutal slump… since May 1st he’s hitting .315 with a .505 slugging percentage. I’d say he has some value…

I would be shocked if Happ didn’t have some success in years to come. He posted a 2.93 ERA in a hitter friendly ballpark. His .273 bapip doesn’t scream lucky, to me. I like the Happster.

37. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm

But I wouldn’t be against selling high, either…

38. Jenkintown Joe

July 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I think something is going to give here…all this swirling trade talk with big names in the mix. I would not be too upset to see Ibanez get traded and finish his career because he is done. We have Dom Brown and Ben Francisco who could both fill in and play a better outfield, as well as hang in there at the 240 that Raul is batting.
    My guess is they would not bring Cliff here for just the rest of the year, and they would make him a more permanent offer, which would probably mean Werth is gone in some fashion. Better yet, throw Blanton in the mix, and get Haren on top of all that. I know we cant trade our non performers for stars, but all this seems apples to apples in the long run. I think our outfield future looks bright with Francisco and Dom Brown (Even Mayberry). Lots for Ruben to ponder. Good luck Rube.

39. Brooks

July 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Talk a little Haren for a moment. About a month or so ago, while the Phils were about half way through their present duldrums, the DBacks were also in the midst of a 10 game losing streak. Haren publicly said that everyone in the clubhouse was ashamed and did not want to come to the ball park. He put his emotions on his sleeve and I think he also alienated himself from management.

Haren had just pitched perhaps one of his best games this year and the DBacks lost in extra innings.

I think Arizona’s management would offer him up on a platter. And, I think the Phils would benefit greatly by picking him up. Who (or how much) do you offer for him?

40. The Dipsy

July 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Right now, J.A. Happ can’t throw the ball 85 mph. His arm is not coming back. There are grumblings that there are bigger problems with his arm. Truth be told, this is all fun but we are not going to trade for Haren, Lee, or Oswalt. Blanton will pitch better. Hamels is…well…Hamels. Take that for what it is worth. Cliff Lee as Met would be too much to take though.

The Dipsy

41. Jack

July 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Utley having surgery. Season over. The most irreplaceable guy on the team aside from possibly Roy. Yeesh.

42. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Reports on Utley are saying he could be out “a month and a half”

F me … I hadn’t paid close enough attention to the Marlins to see that Coghlan was rebounding so well from his early season slump ..

But my point was that “Rookie of the Year” is just a title .. its an award that gets voted on by people … so I don’t think that holds any value in the world of Scouts-&- Stats

43. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

To further my point

past Rookie of the Year winners includ

Angel Berrora, Bobby Crosby, Eric Hinske, Ben Grieve (remember THAT sweet swing?), Jason Jennings, Scott Williamson

But they get a lot right too … Howard, Pujols, Hanley, Longoria, Pedroia, Verlander

44. TBOH

July 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Would any sort of PR issues really outweigh the results Lee would undoubtedly put up? I feel like Amaro indirectly admitting he was wrong will be a nonfactor, as the fans and probably staff would be so ecstatic to have Lee back they wouldn’t care why he was.

But yeah, the Mariners wouldn’t give him away without clawing Dom out of our bowels.

45. Evan

July 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Happ’s unsustainable LOB% had a lot to do with his low ERA. If you give him a .300 BABIP and a lower LOB% he looks pretty unimpressive. I don’t think many GMs will think Happ has any value. He’s had one good year in the majors and has 5th starter stuff at best.

46. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’m not trying to bash Happ .. i think he can be a solid starter a #4 on a good team, a #3 on a mediocore team, or a #2 on the Pirates ..

But coming from nowhere last season, coming off an injury this season.. which he’s still far from recovered from … I dont think he has any value right now

and if we think his actual value is much higher than his CURRENT value .. we should keep him, because we wouldn’t get the right thing in return for moving him

Does anyone actually think the Phillies would try to trade for Lee again?

Can we please just let that go since we all know with 100% certainty that he isn’t coming back

47. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm

5-6 weeks… yikes.

Placido, where art thou? Need him back desperately; let him play second and flavor of the week at third.

48. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Happ’s value is probably low right now but for a team that is out of it and willing to let his arm mend, he’s a cheap young pitcher that has a great chance of bouncing back (that’s how I’m selling it). It makes a ton of sense financially and is about as low risk as it gets for a team like the D-Backs…

Is it time to shop Jayson Werth?

49. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 1:24 pm

If im the Diamondbacks, there is no chance in hell im trading Dan Haren, with an affordable contract for the next 3 years, for JA Happ …. a guy with one year of experience, and now with a bumb-arm that nobody knows how he will rebound from

50. Bob in Bucks

July 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm

The daring move would be to shop Jayson Werth and bring up Brown. I know -too many lefties but too many lefties can still win.

For Werth we can get some mid level prospects. That is a numbers game, you get three and maybe one works out. In this case maybe you only get two.

I can’t really see the Phillies giving up anything at this point for a rental. If they won’t hit for Halladay they won’t hit for others. If Polanco is also out for an extended period we are sunk if they can’t get a good infielder. Not sure who that would be but that is really the top issue now, not starting pitching.

51. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Teams are usually more willing to give up more for an everyday player.. a guy that can hit anywhere from 1-7 in any lineup

plays a premium defensive position in RF, and plays everyday instead of just 1-of-5 like a pitcher ..

That said .. I think the Phillies take up until the last minute, if due to injuries, we’re 10 games out of 1st place, with Utley and Polanco still out … then yea, maybe move Werth

52. Phan in the outfield

July 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm

God I hate this stuff. And I’m happy you all aren’t GMs.

Trust me on this – you’re going to want him back. Aaaand you’d better hope like heck he doesn’t end up on a team we have to play either this season or next b/c you can bank on it, he’s the one player we give away who’ll kick the crap out of us. And we’d deserve it for giving him up.

What’s wrong with trading Vic?

53. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I would trade Victorino in a heartbeat …. but Werth is definitely a better player and the teams that would be interested in him ..

Yankees, RedSox, Angels .. would be the same teams bidding on him in the offseason

I wan’t Werth back in the worst possible way .. but if Utley is really going to miss the better part of the season.. Polanco is already said to need off-season surgery for a bone spur that got aggrevated when he got hit on the elbow ..

Who knows how Ruiz is doing .. if we’re not looking like a true contender at the All-Star break, due to injury, we would be FOOLISH to buy instead of sell

54. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 2:19 pm

If Dom Brown does get called up, he would have to bat pretty far down the lineup (at least initially)… not sure what the lineup would have to look like but I don’t think you can worry about that right now because our lineup looks terrible no matter how you slice it!

55. adam

July 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I maybe agree with 33% of the BS Don M is spewing off right now (no offense dude, but you’re just talking at this point; saying things that back up your position but aren’t necessarily true and have no basis…like Coghlin not having value? For real?) but he’s dead on that we are NOT bringing Lee back.

I’m pretty sure that Lee is my favorite pitcher I’ve ever watched toss a baseball, but we are simply not trading for him. The reason RAJ worked around Lee in the first place is the uncertainty of how much we’d have to pay him combined with the fact that we can’t afford him. And now add to that list the fact that it might end up being a half-season rental for an injury-riddled team.

Unless RAJ works a miracle and moves Ibanez without paying any of his salary, the team can’t afford him. Moving Werth wouldn’t even clear the space; he’s only still owed about 4 mill and that’s only looking at this year; we have a crazy amount of money on the books for next season. Again, moving Ibanez would alleviate this problem, but who wants Rauuuuuuul at that price?

I think getting Haren is a much better chance, since 2 of the problems RAJ has with Lee aren’t there: there is no uncertainty with his cost, and we know he’d be here for a few years (not a rental).

There is still the issue of freeing up money, but maybe if we can move Blanton and Ibanez, even if we eat some of the cash, we will have a lot more space moving forward toward next season. I realize this is asking a lot and maybe impossible, but it would be nice.

I think we should brace ourselves for a much lesser addition than either Lee or Haren, and prepare lamentation over the injuries that will probably keep us from making the postseason.

56. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Reasons why we should move Werth instead of Vic:

Vic might not be worth as much on the open market…
    Vic’s contract is cheaper than Werth
    Werth is a free agent after this season (there are no guarantees that he’s going to stay here; little chance we can afford to sign him)
    Domonic Brown could replace Werth, there is no replacement for Vic

Werth is the better player but you can’t go by that alone.

57. Don M

July 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I agree with 43% of the bottom half of adam’s post

58. Bobby D

July 1, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Haren would be a welcome addition if he comes without having to give up a lot. Maybe AZ would be interested in a work in progress like Mayberry Jr. (although I doubt another system change would benefit his psyche too much). What about Mathieson? Will he ever pan out as a Phil or could he be sent elsewhere?

I’m all in favor of having Polly play second full time upon his return (until Chase is back obviously) and I think Valdez is a good enough fielder to carry third base. Insurance would be nice but if they’re going to have to give up a ton to get a utility infielder than I’d rather see them focus on a starter and a relief pitcher.

Side note, awesome weather today.

59. RichieAllen

July 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I think with the addition of a Cliff Lee or Dan Haren our chances of winning are better.But ,as everybody knows our farm system is depleted even with the addition of the “studs”(and I use that term loosely),gotten in the Lee deal.We’re not going to trade core players.
    We cant go back in time and sign Lee,but that would have been the right move in hindsight.
    The main problem as everybody knows are injuries .We cant replace Utley ,Polanco,Ruiz,Madson etc with equal players .
    So we have to get lucky until they get back .

60. Big Bob

July 1, 2010 at 3:00 pm

In reality the phillies should have given Lee the money to begin with and they should have traded Cole Hamels. I’m sorry but i just don’t see what other people see in him, to me he is the left handed version of Brett Myers. I really don’t think he will ever reach his full potential because 1} he is a 2 pitch pitcher and the league has caught on to him and 2} he is a head case, he lets too much get to him.

61. Big Bob

July 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

If anything the Phillies should see if they can package Hamels in a deal to Seattle for Lee and get back the proven lefthander and maybe include Werth in the deal or see if Seattle will take Ibanez back in the deal with some of the prospects they already traded us and call up Brown and let the kid play. Why do we have to wait so long for these players to come to the majors stop babying these guys.

62. Phan in the outfield

July 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Vic is the one who has gotten the Golden Gloves – it sure seems to me that the rest of the baseball world love him. Let them trade for him. If he’s cheaper to us then he’s also cheaper to another team too.

If Domonic Brown is so great in the OF, why can’t he move to CF? If everyone’s so happy for him to be on a learning curve while he’s playing in the majors on our team when we so desperately need not only players in the field but hitters on the bench too, then let him learn CF while he’s at it.

But I don’t see why we get rid of the only real right-hander we have. And why would another team trade for Werth when he has only the end of this season left on his contract? If he’s going to be SO expensive to us, then he’ll be SO expensive to another team too. Btw, the Yankees do not need him. Has nobody noticed – they’re doing great very cheaply w/o Jayson Werth. The Red Sox don’t seem to need him very much either. They’re doing pretty darn well too. So I’m not sure these pan out.

63. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

“I agree with 43% of the bottom half of adam’s post”

That’s funny…

Since we’re trading Hamels and Ibanez for Lee and prospects, can we also trade the homeless crackerjack vendor for Kris Benson’s wife?

64. The Original Chuck P

July 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Armchair GM’ing officially out of control. Smell you guys later… I’m gonna try to do some work (after I hit up Wawa for a $2.99 shortie… which, by the way, is really only like $0.30 cheaper than it is normally).

65. Andrew from Waldorf

July 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Would the phils give up the exact 3 prospects they got for Lee?
    That would be funny but then the GM would be fired on the spot so not going to happen.

66. Andrew from Waldorf

July 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

hmmm
    Maybe should have traded Happ last year?
    No one wanted that though.

67. jt

July 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm

no way their getting lee back i wish though…i’ll take haren has long as it doesn’t cost dominic brown..

68. emayer

July 1, 2010 at 5:23 pm

If we don’t have the prospects to get Lee back for a rental — if the prospects we got in return for a whole year of Lee aren’t good enough, then that’s a sign of failure on Amaro’s part. Swallow your pride, Ruben, and get it done.

69. Adam

July 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm

No way in hell the smug and arrogant Amaro brings back Lee. Obviously this guy should swallow his pride in order for the Phillies to bring back and Lee, win the division, etc but of course that will never happen and Amaro is to blame as he ravaged the farm system in the Lee/Halladay saga.

Getting Haren would be unreal. The guy is a strikeout machine and is a legit 1/2 in the rotation and would likely be 2/3 for the Phillies.
    It is all well and good that Brown was named best prospect but that does no good. He cannot cannot cannot be Werth’s replacement. He needs to take Ibanez’s spot. We are rolling out a guy in the 6 hole who has 6 homeruns!!!! It is a joke. They need to call him up. This is about winning and the national league is wide open as the current division leaders are Padres, Reds, Braves.

Got to get Haren.

70. Adrian

July 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Are the Braves and Mets as stable down the stretch as the Phillies? Our No. 1 incentive for getting Cliff Lee back is so the damn Yankees don’t snatch him. We’ve got to have some kind of balance in the postseason…

71. smithkev

July 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm

No, our # 1 incentive for getting Cliff Lee back is so the damn METS don’t snatch him!!!

72. Pingback: U2 Concert Tour 2010 Cancelled – U2360 Tour Rescheduled | Good life advisor |AdvisorGood.com

73. ActuallyChilled

July 2, 2010 at 2:51 am

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Werth flipped for prospects, and then some of those prospects plus some others in the system packaged to ARI in a Haren three team deal. Although, for a -contender- it is a bold move to take out a Werth of such a offensive lapsing team this year, so I don’t see it happening in that specific way. One other possibility is flipping Blanton to a pitching seeking team, which might bring in some of the same-type level prospects since he isn’t a rental player. On another note though, I am all about the 4H-M attack (Halladay, Hamels, Haren, Happ… Moyer)

74. Sammy

July 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Checking into a more indepth look of an iPhone 4 past all the advertising and glamour, cell phone owners are finally recognizing that the new toy is turning out to be an awesome expensive paperweight. With dropped calls are now occuring much more frequently, it is unavoidably a design flaw coming from the designer, Apple. There was a class action lawsuit filed only 6 days after release accusing Apple and AT&T on numerous accounts of negligence.