Analysis

Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 28

-Big news coming minutes ago from Jim Salisbury on twitter. Sully says Shane Victorino is headed to the DL and that Domonic Brown will be called up to take his place.  I’ve just received word from the Phillies that this is indeed the case, so make way for Domonic Brown. He’ll take Victorino’s spot on the roster.  This is a huge and exciting day for the organization as we get to see one of the biggest prospects in baseball roam the outfield.

-Also, the Roy Oswalt chatter has ramped back up in the past few hours. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports says there is a chance that the Phils can keep Jayson Werth, which looks very likely with the news of Victorino hitting the DL. He also says that the players in the deal are pretty much agreed upon and they are waiting for the OK’s on either side.

-Sources close to Todd Zolecki have also pointed out that the 2012 option may not be a necessity and that Oswalt will indeed waive his no-trade to come to Philly. These are big time stepping stones that would guide the way for an Oswalt-to-Philly union. The long-term money would not be an issue, the location would not be an issue, and all seem to be happy with what’s being moved on both sides. More as the day goes on…

Update (4:42): Lefty reliever Joe Biemel is on the Phils radar, according to a tweet from Ken Rosenthal. The Rockies reliever is a cheaper alternative to Scott Downs from Toronto and could fill the spot.

-Also, Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse will be on 97.3 ESPN FM in just a bit to talk about Jay Happ-to-Chicago rumors that would net the Phillies Ted Lilly. We’ll let you know if this goes down, but in my opinion, this deal makes little sense. Lilly would provide a very insignificant upgrade over Happ. In many ways, they are close. Don’t see how that helps the Phillies.

1. Morris Buttermaker

July 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Does anybody even listen to Ken Rosenthal? Has he ever been right about anything? If he told me the sky was blue, I would expect it to be purple.

Hmm… Victorino to the DL, Werth staying, and Brown finally called up. So I guess this site will be having an internal error in 5 seconds.

2. jt

July 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

yeah i heard rosenthal say the phils plan on keeping werth now with vic on dl…i think they will too because who know when vic will be back and he’s been struggling at the plate this season as it is…i’m not a fan of the oswalt trade,but i think it will get done soon i mean amaro has given up pretty much our enitre farm system and one of the pitchers isn’t even here anymore…something tell’s me amaro won’t be around much longer if he keeps doing things the way he is…he should of just kept lee and passed on doc or got doc last summer and never gotten lee…o’well it’s done and over now…

3. Paul

July 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

jt, Amaro has not given up the entire farm system, far from it.

Brown, Cosart, Singleton, and Colvin are all highly thought of. The prospect that looks like the real deal that he did deal away is Drabek.

4. Megary

July 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

All comes down to the $$. If the Phillies are willing to pony up for what Oswalt is contractually owed then they shouldn’t have to give up much in the way of prospects.

Oswalt would be a gamble, but obviously an upgrade if he stays healthy.

5. Bob

July 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

So if Amaro pulls the trigger on Oswalt….people will complain
    If Amaro doesn’t pull the trigger on a starter….people will complain.
    If Amaro gives up any prospect….people will complain.

Well for all those “we should of gave up the future to sign Lee to 180 trillion dollar” people: He is your chance to have 3 aces again.

We keep our RH power bat until the end of the year, we probably say goodbye to Happ and a couple younger prospects. Werth’s money frees up payroll for 2011 and Ibanez departure frees up salary for 2012, if Oswalt is healthy. Or some offseason trade.

If that is true, Amaro is damned if he does damned if he don’t. Sounds like if they want Oswalt, he will be a Phillie.

Amaro knows what he’s doing.

6. bacardipr05

July 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Bob what we are worried about say 3 years down the line when our core players start to age we have no prospects to fill in the shoes much like some teams now that gave up the farm systems and are trying to replenish for the future…Amaro could of just kept Lee in the first place now he is dealing away more prospects…

7. sean

July 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

everyone says location isn’t a problem but deep in oswalts mind.

8. psujoe

July 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

This is getting interesting. Sucks that Vic got hurt, but nice to have a player like Brown in the wings to fill the void. Wonder if they’ll platoon Raul, Brown or switch on and off.

I’d like Oswalt, but Carmona is a good fall back.

May struck out 14 last night and had control of all 3 pitches so hopefully he’s figured some things out.

July 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Shane to the DL sucks.

But DOM BROWN’s debut makes up for it.

Overall, I don’t think the team loses much (replace a switch hitter with a lefty… both can run)

You can start with Brown on the 6th or 7th hole… if he’s good you can move him up. Where does he usually bat in AAA?

10. Bob

July 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm

@bacardipr05

I am a bit worried about that too but I dont think they will need to necessarily drain everything they had in the farm to acquire Oswalt.

A bit of a hit? Sure

But Werth’s departure (probable) brings you back 2 type A free agents. And I think this is different than Lee scenario because they won’t have to tie 150 mil into a starter. For an ace (and if he stays healthy) that money owed to Oswalt is actually pretty cheap when you think about it.

11. Bob

July 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

meant 2 prospects****not free agent’s

12. psujoe

July 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

bacardipr05, Lee was for 1 year though. You would have Oswalt for 2, 3 if he’s still a top pitcher. Phils have Cosart, Colvin, Aumont, Ramirez, Hernandez, Worley and some other good arms. If Wade wants Singleton I’d trade him in a heartbeat beacuse Howard is under contract for another 5 years and Singleton is most like a 1B. I’d try to keep Happ, but I don’t see it.

If you can make Herndon one of the pieces, please. Then bring up Bastardo.

13. NJ

July 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

We’ve had the Byrd’s nest, the Wolf pack and Myers wife-beaters…

NOW time for the Brown Town in the right-centre stand…

14. NJ

July 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm

The problem with Oswalt is Happ plus a couple of other decent prospects like a Singleton plus all that salary really worth it? I’m finding it hard to say yes even when I accept your going to have to overpay in most deals…

15. Maverick

July 28, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Halladay
    Hamels
    Oswalt
    Blanton

is a solid 4 player rotation.

16. Pingback: Tweets that mention Phillies Trade Deadline Thread: July 28 | Phillies Nation -- Topsy.com

17. NickFromGermantown

July 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm

“I think we know exactly what we’re going to do… I just choose not to tell you.”

Really? I’m not so sure. I’m not sure if anyone is anymore.

18. "PHILLYBOY"

July 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Mark this day on your calander!!Brown is the real deal!!!Ihave been waiting for this,hope to see him here for many,many more years!!Go phillies……..

19. Geoff

July 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm

ED Price of AOL Fanhouse Reports that a Phillies-Cubs trade of JA Happ for Ted Lilly might be in the works.

20. "PHILLYBOY"

July 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I hope not geoff!!!!!LILLY DOES NOT IMPRESS AT ALL!!!

21. Geoff

July 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

My priority list for starting pitching in terms of who is actually available/realistic:

1 – Oswalt
    2 – Carmona
    3 – Lilly

22. Geoff

July 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm

So yeah, Lilly would not excite anyone here really, though he does have a nice slow curve. But I am not sure he is really that much better than Happ, even though I think Happ is a bit overrated too. PASS.

23. Brooks

July 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Now that Brown is here, I dont care if anything else is done offensively… its not as urgent.

However, I would like to see Herndon & Baez swapping places with Mathiason and Figgy or another reliever. Herndon is just a waste and Baez, although he pitched OK last night will see more down than up.

Other than that, keep intact the O and figure it out next year when Moyer money is freed up.

24. "PHILLYBOY"

July 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm

BROOKS FIGGY IS GONE……….

25. "PHILLYBOY"

July 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I agree happ for Lilly makes no sense what so ever!!however they may be messing with houston here!

26. "PHILLYBOY"

July 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm

ALSO-what is up with this site lately?

27. bacardipr05

July 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Im not a fan of Fausto i would rather see Jake in here..i dont understand the Logic of trading Happ away for another starter with same or less skill set than Happ…plus Happ can maybe bolster our Pen in long relief similar to what he did last year and similar to what Figgy was doing….doesnt make sense to me…

28. Psujoe

July 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Happ for Lilly would marginally help and hurt for 2011 and beyond

29. bacardipr05

July 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Ps…an we need long relief type of guys by now Cholly should realize that Blanton is a 6inning 7 on a real good day type of guy before he implodes

30. wxdavid

July 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm

happ for Lilly? lilly for happ?

WHY? how does that help either team

31. The Dipsy

July 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I think Lilly is a shade better pitcher than Happ which makes the deal even not worth doing, or as we used to say in my old fantasy league, its “not worth the transaction fee”. I hate Joe Biemel and I think he stinks. I would love Downs though. Give me Downs and Carmona and I will be a happy man.

The fact the Ken Rosenthal has reported that the players on both sides of the Oswalt deal have been agreed to leads me to believe that they have no idea what they want from each other. The fact that, as we speak, the Phils are the ONLY team with interest in Oswalt (not to say a team won’t jump in later) leads me to believe that Ed Wade, as usual, has no bargaining power. That said:

Happ, Mathieson, and Flande for Oswalt.

The Dipsy

32. Psujoe

July 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Wxdavid

Happ for Lilly would give the cubs a decent 4/5 starter cheap with several years still under team control. They could then resign Lilly for 2011.

33. Land Shark

July 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm

PSUJOE You nailed it on the head. Signing Lilly will hurt this club 2011 and beyond. I totally agree with everyone who said that Lilly and Happ are almost the same in every aspect. It makes no sense taking on Lillys salary when Happ would be cheaper for atleast another 2-3 more years. It’s Oswalt who is capable of making this team a powerhouse. Not even Westbrook, Myers, or even Carmona would make a splash in the water bigger than Oswalt.

34. Land Shark

July 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I been hearing rumors that the Phils are hot on Miguel Tijadas tail…They need to stay away from these veteran bench players. I know its helped in the past, but we have enough talent to save money in the long run. Our main goal right now should be Oswalt and a middle reliever

35. Aaron

July 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

We know of Carlos Zambranos temper, but I would think he may be more of an attractive target and I bet the Cubs are looking to get rid of him. Phillies have dealt with hot heads before (Myers for example). I would just think he would make a logical target. Although I am sure someone will bust out his flyball to strikeout ratio or something and prove me wrong.

36. Land Shark

July 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Zambranos contract is absolutely astronomical. The Cubs signed him to an absurd contract. The cubs will have to obviously eat most of the money, but in the end hes still making more than Halladay….I don’t think so

37. bacardipr05

July 29, 2010 at 1:30 am

Well now the the focus is on bautista another Home Run guy that doesnt hit for average. We already have Werth Howard Utley and the ocassional pop from Rollins and Ruiz…moving on to the next Rumor in the new thead..lol

38. bacardipr05

July 29, 2010 at 1:31 am

and who will close the games when Hamels Oswalt or Hallady go eight…