2010 Gameday

NLCS Gameday: Phillies vs. Giants, Game 3

Philadelphia Phillies (1-1) at San Francisco Giants (1-1)
San Francisco Giants

Cole Hamels (1-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Matt Cain (0-0, 0.00)

Time: 4:19, AT&T Park
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 67
TV: FOX
Follow Phillies Nation on Twitter

CHECK OUT OUR KEYS TO THE GAME

Charlie Manuel called this a “swing game” yesterday. Does the momentum shift from neutral to red after today? It’ll be up to Cole Hamels to do so. You know how good he’s been this season and into the playoffs, but this road challenge will be slightly different than Cincinnati. Bigger stage, bigger consequences should he come up with a sub-par outing. But if he doesn’t – if Cole Hamels is rock solid like he has been – the Phillies will be looking mighty fine heading into Game 3.

The good news is, the Phillies are 6-2 in Hamels’ eight starts against the Giants in his career. Here is what Hamels said yesterday:

“Postseason is where it’s at. It’s the ultimate time to really show what kind of player you are, what kind of pitcher you are,” Hamels said. “These are the types of games and types of moments when you set foot in spring training it’s the ultimate goal for the whole team to go out and enjoy.”

Our Cole Hamels said this, a complete turn around from a year ago when he just wanted it all to end after a terrible 2009. He’s poised and ready to go.

Matt Cain has had terrible results against the Phillies during his career, posting an 0-3 record with an ERA above six. Some people will say you can’t point to previous numbers, that this is a different “season.” I say bull. Cain will see a Phillies squad that has stayed relatively the same over the past four seasons.

Step up, Raul. It’s your turn to flip the switch and come up with a big time hit. Raul’s bat has slowed considerably as the season has progressed, but he’ll have to find a little pocket of energy to get through this slump. Ibanez is 0 for his last 11 and hasn’t had a hit since Game 2 of the Reds series on October 8. It’s been a long time coming. Step up, Raul.

Game 2 Lineup: Victorino CF, Utley 2B, Polanco 3B, Howard 1B, Werth RF, Rollins SS, Ibanez LF, Ruiz C, Hamels P

Victory Lager

Your gameday beer: Anchor Steam Old Foghorn Ale

Old Foghorn is based on traditional English barley wines. Because of the high original gravity, the yeast is unable to ferment all of the sugars. As a result, barley wine is high in alcohol, and is slightly sweet, due to the residual sugars. Old Foghorn also has a pleasant hop bitterness, due to the large quantity of hops used during brewing. I always enjoy that slight, slight bitterness with ales like that. And although I’m not a huge barleywine fan, Anchor Steam rarely produces a beer that sucks. Enjoy this San Franciscan treat while the Phils pummel the boys of the city

– PG

1. Shane

October 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm

With the way Cole has been pitching lately I think we’ve got a great shot here. Hopefully, Jimmy as stirred from his slumber and his bat starts talking for the rest of the series. Cain has been pretty consistent down the stretch but the Phils have become used to dominating him. Hopefully they remember that! Let’s score early and often to put this away.

2. Andrew from waldorf

October 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Lets go Phillies

Winning today is 2 fold. It takes pressure off big Joe tomorrow.
    I expect cole to shut them down to match Little Roy and better big Roy.
    Big Roy on normal rest in SF is another no no waiting to happen.

If the phils win today i can see phils in 5. I really like big Joe tomorrow.

Lets do this.

3. Andrew from waldorf

October 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Really like to see Utley and Howard start banging the ball.
    Like to see them both hit a splash down today.

4. biz

October 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Andrew,

I can’t remember more than 1 Howard homer to right field this season. It’s all center and left. I, too, would like to see a Howard splashdown.

5. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Jimmy Rollins (6-10, 3 3B, 1HR) and Chase Utley (7-15, 3 HR, 7RBI) lifetime against SFGiants starter Matt Cain

6. brooks

October 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I predict a gem today by the Colester.
    Tomorrow, another story. Although big Joe might pitch OK, Phils probably have another O-dud in their future or a BP meltdown. The series may go 7, definitely 6.
    Pat, I’m thinking you did not get the responses you were thinking of for the Lee letter – too bad, I thought there would be a little more imagination/anger/innovative barbs coming from these guys… a lot of them are loaded!

7. Andrew from waldorf

October 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

@ Brooks
    Im over Lee like I will be over Werth after the last game this year. And I only get loaded once a week lol

Big game tonight! Go phils!
    Ill be back after the game. Hope they win (crosses fingers)

8. Bart Shart

October 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

A win would put the wind back in our sails and take a lot of unneeded pressure off the starting pitching.

9. Phan in the outfield

October 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I hope you’re right Andrew, wow do I hope you’re right. We all know they’re capable of greatness and some really beautiful baseball. After the 17 injured players & the kind of dreadful summer, they deserve to win. But they have to earn it. I want this over & done — Phillies the NLCS champs again!

That Yankees mess last night scared me. What a circus. Prior to this I thought they might keep Swisher. Now I think he’s likely done. Move in Carl Crawford. Don’t get me wrong, I loved seeing them suffer. On the other hand, I couldn’t help thinking there’s a boatload of westcoasters hoping the same thing will happen to the Phillies. The thought of that made me just literally sick to my stomach.

I’m leaving work in a few to go home and watch the game. I’m about 15 min fr my apt. I never take off & haven’t had vacation in, uh . . . yrs (don’t ask).

Andrew: Sorry I didn’t answer your pressing question yesterday, heh heh. (working a lot lately) In nyc we hear ARoid’s seeing Cameron Diaz. You may be treated to close-ups of her plate-face every once-in-a-while during the ALCS. Lord knows she has time – she isn’t taking acting classes.

Hope it’s a great game for us. Enjoy everyone. Kick ass Phillies!

10. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I AGREE,THIS IS A HUGE SWING GAME!!

11. jeff of Nova

October 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

NOt worried about Cole, just would love to see the O put a 3 or 4 spot on the board before he takes the mound!

October 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm

It’s an all-righties lineup (Huff being the exception) for the Giants… kinda creative:

1. Renteria
    2. Sanchez
    3. Posey
    4. Burrell
    5. Ross
    6. Huff
    7. Uribe
    8. Rowand
    9. Cain

–That’s a pretty tough lineup, in my opinion. The only guy who I’m not scared of is Sanchez, batting 2nd.

October 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

However, I do think that putting Huff after Ross is good for us since it will allow Hamels to pitch around Ross if needed. Hamels has very good numbers against Huff (and terrible ones vs Ross).

14. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Our Phightins traveled to the city by the bay
    I cannot wait for the game to get under way.
    Hopefully the phils offense will continue to attack.
    Show the Giants no mercy, cut them no slack.
    Hope Chase or Ryan will sink a kayak.
    The pitcher on the mound was our ’08 king
    Phils win game 3, such a beautiful thing.

15. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Edgar Renteria has always scared me but it’s obvious that his best days are clearly behind him. Sanchez is good when he’s healthy but, like Jimmy, he’s playing catch up right now. Posey is a young kid on the biggest stage… the lights have been a little too bright so far but I would be careful with him today. At some point, he’s going to realize that it’s just baseball and he’s pretty good at that. Champion of the streak, Pat the Bat… cold right now, thankfully. Don’t throw him a hanger and you should be fine. Rick Ross- elevated to “boss” status… pitch around him if you can. Huff might take offense to being dropped to 6th but he’s feeling the effects of a long season- not able to catch up with much. Uribe has a bad wrist… Uribe is probably their most consistent player so losing him was a big loss. Not sure if he’ll be able to catch up with the fastballs or extend to balls away with a bad wrist. Rowand… really?

16. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Renteria is playing through a completely torn biceps… holy eff. There is no way he’ll be able to extend. I give him props but that’s nuts.

Really surprised Chinese Buffet Panda didn’t get a start yet… is he really any worse than Renteria with a torn bicep or Mike Fonte-not-gonna-catch-that-pop-fly?

17. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Colbert has this.

18. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

How does werth take that pitch with 2 strikes ?

19. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Cody Rick Ross Ruth due up second…

20. Dennis

October 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Right down the plate miked63! Drives me crazy!

21. Bart Shart

October 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm

ChuckS is the poet laureate of Phillies Nation

22. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Worked last time

23. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Ok guys, we got a game with the Giants today. And that only means one thing. Bad news for the Giants.

24. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Werth is just trying to get on base… he’s got a good eye. It was close… too close to take but that’s easy for me and you to say.

25. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I really wanted to see a fast start by our offense. Six up Six down. I agree that Raul’s bat has been slow (age is maybe showin) he is OVERDUE big time. This game is HUGE make no mistake. The game 3 winner in the nlcs (when its 1-1) has gone on to win 15 of the last 16 I believe joe buck said. Are you guys comfortable tomorrow with big joe
    pitchin if were down 2-1 ? I want a comfortable win , that didnt happen sunday t’ill late in the game. The BIG MAN was on the ball in that 1st at bat and thats a good sign. I really think theyre gonna break out today its been a while and sundays 6 runs lit the fuse. Comfortable win 8-2 phils today , Rauls up now if he continues to struggle charlie has to lose the stubborness and put Ben in , …….. he struck out again geeezz

26. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm

BAD NEWS FOR THE GIANTS…

So I used to watch live feeds on myp2p.eu and my company blocked it… but thankfully I found another live feed site that they don’t block – http://livetv.ru/en/

Best website ever.

Ibanez needs to wake the eff up… or they need to play the Dominator.

27. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Giants fans leave the game early if the Pinot Grigio is the wrong year.

28. Bob Myers

October 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

OK, Hamels couldn’t bunt Chooch over but he’s dealing from the mound. I’ll take that.

Besides, Cain drilled Victorino and that’s actually a good sign Cain is not in his best control.

29. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

chuck p , i know what your saying cause i played up to college. I know what it feels like to be guessing off speed and seeing fastball , however
    that was right there . That pitch is called a strike in the major leagues
    90% of the time.

30. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Vic felt that one…

A better inning there. I think we start to see some fireworks in the 4th.

31. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Aaron Rowand stinks. Still one of my least favorite Phillies of all time. Before each game, he brought a small hose and a pack of Marlboros to the ballpark so that he could go around blowing smoke up everybody’s butt.

32. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I can’t remember Hamels every throwing his curve ball this much and for strikes. Its the best curve ball I’ve ever seen him throw and it’s clear he’s trying to go through the order the first time with alot of curves in order to set up his regular stuff later on.

that’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed so far in this game. the other thing I’ve noticed is Joe Buck’s completely over the top love of San Francisco. Seriously, he mentions every inning how wonderful it is. I wonder why a guy like Joe Buck would love a city like SF so much? wonder what part of town he’s staying in? I’m betting its the castro district.

33. The Original Chuck P

October 19, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I was just saying that I agree with you 100%… too close to take but sometimes you have to give the pitcher credit. Did you see the Yankees/Rangers game last night? I’ve never seen so many caught-looking third strikes over the middle of the plate in a game. That’s the same way Cain pitches- he’s not overpowering and his “stuff” isn’t quite as good as Lee’s but he controls the bat speed of the opposition and really pounds the strike zone low.

34. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I feel a crooked number coming up for the phils

35. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Agree , it is alot harder than most fans understand. Werths swing is too long for him to fight off pitches sometimes. He must of been thinking offspeed.

36. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Come on Ryan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. SJ Mike

October 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That dude to the left of the advertisement behind home plate is a total tool.

38. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I tell you what , the big mans avg is creeping up this series. I know he’s not hitting hr’s yet but he’s getting the bat on the ball and getting on base. CHUCK S PREDICTION ABOUT TO COME TRUE RIGHT NOW !

39. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm

OK, seriously guys, TIME TO SCORE SOME RUNS!!!

40. NJ Phils Fan

October 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm

What’s up people? I’m back! Go Phils!

41. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm

What is the deal with Joe Buck? I have never met a single person who likes him. And I have friends from all over the country who support different teams. They all hate him. Why does Fox put him on everything?

42. NJ Phils Fan

October 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Lets go Rauuuuuuuul!

43. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Raul’s bat needs to come alive. He’s not hitting anything right now. We need him to contribute.

44. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm

he hasn’t even hit anything hard that I can remember

45. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Crap.

46. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:22 pm

uggh, Its Francisco time in San Fran yet???

47. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Raul looks lost up there he’s swinging and missing at juat about everything.

48. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm

*just

49. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Is it just me or is the strike zone rather large?

50. Jasmine

October 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Why is Raul swinging at basically every pitch??

51. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Ah well. Hamels was perfect up to that point.

52. Troutman

October 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Can anyone on here tell me why Raul is in the lineup? He absolutely stinks. For God’s sake, Brown can’t possibly do any worse than this. He looks feeble right now.

53. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

@BostonKate: I didn’t notice. But then, I’m watching on radio. 😀

54. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Ibanez needs to be sat down he’s killing us at the plate and if he catches the ball in game 1 we win. He’s 0-9 now with how many strikeouts ? And no I dont forget what he did at times during the season. This is the playoffs no time to be sentimental or loyal.Problem is Charlie wont make the move which pisses me off. He’ll live or die with HIS guys. How many more times does raul have to strikeout , does he have to go 0-18 before charlie thinks about it ? Today theres a righty pitchin so i get it , but i would have played ben sunday against sanchez

55. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Good idea. Listening to buck and mccarver is giving me a migraine

56. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:27 pm

you people are too reactionary. Raul is your best player to put in left field. He hasn’t hit yet but you gotta put your best players in the lineup. Raul hit over .300 since the all star break and with some good pop too. Thank god you’re not all managers or else we’d have Howard, Rollins, Ibanez, and others on the bench and we’d be starting Mike Sweeney, Greg Dobbs, and Wilson Valdez. lol

57. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

but I am on board with starting francisco against sanchez.

58. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Cain strike zone seems larger than cole…here we go.

59. Troutman

October 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hey Ryan H. Good time to NOT be reactionary. 3 more $hit games from Raul, and we’ll have all winter to NOT be reactionary. Spare me the lecture and realize that now IS the time to be reactionary. Can’t exactly wait for Raul to snap out of his funk, can we? If Charlie thinks like you (and he probably does) the season will be over soon…

60. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Damn that Cody Ross again.

61. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I hate Cody Ross

62. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

jt: all of a sudden nothing is a strike. I think the shadows are affecting the ump. that ross rbi single was a direct result of a few close pitches being called balls

63. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

ump behind the plate is a douchebag

64. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Clutch hitting. Phillies could learn a thing or two.

65. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Hamels is toast.

66. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Why don’t we just pitch around this guy?can’t say we didn’t have chances raul really a buzz killer…come on now shut down this joke of a team cole.

67. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

first base ump is a douchebag too. uribe swung.

68. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

ball 2 right down the middle

69. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I hate cody ross.

70. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

no worries. we got this

71. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Wtf is this ump looking at?

72. Bob Myers

October 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Home plate ump is missing calls. You can’t give batters 4 strikes and not effect the game.

But the Phils are getting their 3 strikes and they have no excuse for not scoring. Blanton goes tomorrow, so the Phils better take this one!

73. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Phils better put some runs on the board in the 5th…this is getting ridiculous. they need to seize the momentum back and shut this stupid SF crowd down now.

74. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Lots of game left, wake up the bats phillies

75. Jeff

October 19, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Wrong Bob. We just stink. I would take Cody over Howard anyday.

Game 4 Doc. Blanton gone.

76. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:39 pm

i wish the NLCS was on TBS…

77. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Jeff has officially gone off the deep end everybody.

On that note, I’ll take Jeff Francouer over Albert Pujols. and Kevin Millwood over Cliff Lee.

78. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm

come on victorino…get on base…

79. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Let’s go Utley…get it going now!

80. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Lets go Chase

81. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm

The phils need to get a rally going a get them base hits here and there like the giants had that inning this isn’t a park where you swing for the fences vic on second gotta get him home chase.

82. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

2 hits thru 5. this is pathetic

83. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I am really starting to get worried

84. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

hamels better shut down rowand, cain and renteria this inning. he needs a quick one after last inning. renteria’s batting .167, but of course hamels lost him on 2 strikes and gave him a leadoff hit last inning.

85. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

that’s it. 2009 hamels has returned. i’m oppressed.

86. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I’m offically worried.

87. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

really a double to aaron rowand?i wanna know how we shut down the best offense in the nl,but these guys who are a pathetic offensive team look great.

88. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

can someone explain to me why hamels second pitch to cain – a curveball – wasn’t called a strike? this total douchebag umpire.

89. Dan

October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Why do they insist on pitching to Ross? What is the shame in going around him? He’s basically the entire Giants offense right now (Huff’s RBI be damned) so why bother going after him every time. He’s hot and that happens, especially in the playoffs, but smart baseball dictates not going after a player like that. LEt him stand on first and watch his teammates strike out just like Bonds did.

90. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

The not scoring runs with Cole on the mound continues thru 5. Back to the above point about Raul. Hows the decision to shake up the lineup doin for the sf manager so far today ?

91. biz

October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

This is frustrating. Rollins, aside from his hit the other night, is still a black hole. Ibanez is doing nothing. They killed us in the 4th inning. Hitting w/RISP has been beyond disappointing. Cole was sailing through 3 innings, now he looks troubled. Not good signs.

92. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm

they lose i want doc pitching tomorrow he’ll we fine on short rest i don’t trust blanton and i want francisco in lf.

93. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Do you really start Blanton tomorrow if we lose this game? Then again they do seem to score runs for Blanton.

94. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I’d still go with blanton tomorrow. its not an elimination game

95. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

The Phillies hitters are having the same problem they have been having all year. They believe their own hype.

96. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

why do you guys have us losing this game already? calm down negadelphia. it’s 2-0 in the 5th and we’ve had runners on all day.

97. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

2 outs…hamels gotta get him. Cain has 81 pitches so far, Hamels has 74. next inning the “big” bats are coming up…MAYBE, FINALLY????

98. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

@ ac this ump is a freakin idiot.

I know charlie likes to remain loyal but cmon. Why is raul still in the lineup?

99. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm

thanks Utley. thanks very much.

100. biz

October 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Wow.

Getting out of hand right now.

101. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Utley knows how to make his errors count.

If only we were allowed to criticize him on these boards.

102. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

It just keeps sliding further and further away

103. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

blanton hasn’t pitched in like almost a month thats what worries me…doc is a warrior he’d pitch everyday if he could…utley defense has been terrible.

104. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

utley must hate himself right now…

105. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Utley is a joke.

106. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I’m telling you. we got this.

107. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm

as pissed as i am at utley…how many of the giants hits today have been on 2 strikes? if Hamels can’t deliver the strike out, it’s on him.

108. jt

October 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

cholly only mix up is switching polly and chase the san fran manger did a complete make over and it’s doing them good so far…we need raul bat on the bench if he doesn’t come through this game.

109. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

The scoreboard only says 3-0, but it feels so much farther away

110. Troutman

October 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Game. Series. Season. OVER. Phillies won’t score today. Theme of the season: great pitching and the offense let them down.

111. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Nice. 89 pitches for Hamels through 5. So it looks like the pen is in for 7-8-9.

Let’s hope for some sort of a rally this inning – WE’RE MAKING FRIGGING MATT CAIN LOOK LIKE CLIFF LEE HERE. Absolutely pathetic.

Let’s see Utley redeem himself.

I hate MLB for making this a day game…

112. biz

October 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Blanton pitched an inter-squad game last Tuesday.

What’s killing us has not been the pitching. 4 runs Saturday and 3 today? Wes should have 2 or 3 ourselves today. No hitting w/RISP, a costly error, and Cody Ross is what’s killing us.

Cody effing Ross.

113. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I agree with JT. Raul’s gotta sit. And while he’s sitting, Ruben Amaro should be figuring out a way to get his a*s traded out of town next year and sign Werth to a long term deal, put Dom Brown in for Ibanez next year.

114. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

going down 3-0 isn’t the end of the game. going down 2-1 also isn’t the end of the series. calm down and let them do their thing

115. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

the phils are making him look like cliff lee cain is good but not lights out…i don’t know what this teams problem is with risp it’s been a problem for awhile now

116. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Polanco reached out and swung at ball 3 and ball 4…and grounded out. great.

117. biz

October 19, 2010 at 6:05 pm

This team is too confident. They take games off. Our 6th and 7th hitter killed un in the 4th. We should have had a run or 2.

118. biz

October 19, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I just can’t see us losing a series to this team. They have platoon players in half their infield and they benched their CF. I just don’t get it.

The Phillies are the better team. They should win this series, if not this game.

119. Philly Texan

October 19, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Phillies are just missing pitches.

Werth had fat hanging curveball in the third inning w/ Howard on first. It was 2-0 and Cain just spun a hanger right over the heart of the plate. That ball should have been in the gap or in the seats for two runs. But instead, Werth just swung right through it. Utley has had two good pitches to hit and missed both. Raul and Polanco the same.

120. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Lets see what theyre made of right now down 3-0 three more at bats. Isn’t it unbelieveable how this team just doesnt hit for Cole ? Long way from over but I’m starting to think its a karma thing when Coles on the mound. If the offensive struggles continue Charlie has to shake it up
    and Raul sits 1st. It sure worked for Bochy today , his team was struggling and he made changes. Every button Bochy pushed today worked. Did you guys see the stats for the game 3 loser when the series is tied in the nlcs ? Wouldnt it be nice if they put a number up for Cole just once.

121. Jeff

October 19, 2010 at 6:11 pm

This Phillies team is getting older. Who knows if Utley is really that player. A few years is not enough. He is a horrible fielder. Killing us in the field. Bad throws in the past to first. Rollins, Utley, Howard, Werth, Ibanez just do not hit. We will be good for the next couple seasons but thats it. This team is getting older and they have got rid of all our young talent. Oh well

122. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 6:11 pm

one word-UGLY!

123. MikeB.

October 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm

This Phillies offense is just sad today and Ibanez needs to park it on the bench.

124. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm

My friend just sent me a text saying I’m not a real fan because I’m bummed over this game.

I think philliesnation is the most real in terms of realizing that while on paper we’re good, reality is, our offense has been asleep all season.

125. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I AGREE ABOUT RAUL-HE SHOULD NOT PLAY VS LEFTIES…..

126. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Chase Utley is a horrible fielder???? that’s news to me. He’s certainly above average. He makes an occasional mistake. but horrible? come on. hyperbole anybody (that a synonym for exaggeration Jeff. ) (Synonym means a word with a similar meaning).

127. MikeB.

October 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm

You are pretty much right, bostonkate. about the Phillies offense. It takes them soooooooooo long to get going in games. Seldom score many early runs.

128. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:18 pm

nice hit raul…take a seat on the best where you belong.

129. Troutman

October 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Hey Ryan H…by “do their thing” do you mean:
    1) not hit with runners in scoring position
    2) make errors
    3) strike out alot

We don’t need to wait for that; it’s already happened. They are cooked.

130. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

troutman is obviously not a phillies fan. either that or he’s that guy that nobody wants to watch the game with because he’s so damn miserable. probably complained that the world series parade wasn’t good enough.

131. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

come on gload get on base get something going.

132. biz

October 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Gload hasn’t been the same since mid August.

Can’t lay off the really low junk.

That said, I’m hoping he can splash down.

133. Troutman

October 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hey db, you might be the most arrogant a$$ on here. Yeah, obviously, I’m not half the fan you are. Moron.

134. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:24 pm

great but their a risp we always choke.

135. Jeff

October 19, 2010 at 6:27 pm

good job shane. these guys s u c k

136. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm

we use to be good in situations like that? What happened to our clutch hitting?

137. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm

typical phillies i almost expect them to make outs we got risp i mean its f u c k i n g pathetic

138. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:29 pm

on a positive note: zooey deschanel is freaking hot.

139. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Time is running out, Our backs are against the wall.Not a great a feeling knowing the biggest game of the year rest on Joe Blanton.

140. Philly Texan

October 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm

How many fastballs in the middle of the plate are they going to roll over to second base??????

Damn this is frustrating. Shane had two good pitches to hit in that at bat with two runners on. Fouled off the first one and he was late despite being up in the count and then he grounds out.

And Raul finally smashes one but it’s right at Huff. Just not our day today.

The Giants have a waiver-wire offense, but this starting to feel like a destiny team….like the Rockies in 2007…..theyr’e just getting lucky as hell.

141. pheeling it

October 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

If we can’t beat Matt Cain, I am a little scared.

142. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 6:35 pm

But she sings like the Incredible Hulk.

143. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

the phils are definitely wearing out the path between home and the second baseman. he must have fielded at least ten balls today. nice easy two hoppers too.

144. Jeff

October 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

There is NO WAY Blanton will pitch…You will see Charlie switch to DOC.

If Im wrong I will be shocked. He will make the switch after we lose this game.

145. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Zero runs , really ? —— everyone had yankees/phillies WS written in stone. Could still happen but after today both teams have to win 3 of next 4 obviously. Like others have said the offense has been a problem all year we all just assumed they could flip a switch in the playoffs. Question is , will Charlie do anything tomorrow to try and shake it up ?
    Bumgarner is a tough lefty , if Raul still starts tomorrow i’ll lose my mind.

146. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

The Giants are not getting lucky. They are having good at-bats, which is the complete opposite of what the Phillies are doing. 8 guys all with their heads straight up their butts.

147. Philly Texan

October 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Can’t ever remember this team looking so punch-less in the playoffs. Have they even gotten a runner to third base? I can’t remember one.

Howard and Chooch are the only ones that look comfortable at all at the plate.

148. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

keep the game at that score and lets get to their bullpen…i’ve been saying were gonna have a game where we beat brian wilson.

149. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm

lol sanchez really is busy over there.

150. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I was never confident that the phils were going to win this series, It looks they want to confirm my worry

151. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Just got home; was listening in the car on the drive home. This is a disgrace.

152. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:42 pm

The big mans gonna k right now

153. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I’m still confident that we’ll win this series. and if we lose tomorrow I’ll still not be that down knowing you got doc little roy and cole in a row.

right now it’s obvious that the shadows are really tough. the hitters can’t see anything. you’d have to manufacture something because nobody is gonna hit anything on the nose too hard. they just can’t see this time of day.

154. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

You would prefer that the big man get a hit or walk and get left on base again? How many times has that happened in this series…

155. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Paper Tigers , The Mighty Phillies cant even score 1 run for Hamels.
    How does that happen all year with him on the mound ?

156. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

The Phillies seem disappointed that nobody told the Giants that the Phillies were supposed to easily win this series. This is horrible. They are hard to cheer for when they are playing this bad.

Rollins or Raul needs to see the bench tomorrow.

157. Philly Texan

October 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Morris,
    Don’t get me wrong. The Giants are tough team with outstanding pitching.

But they’ve gotten some breaks today. Ross hit a ball off his shoe tops for an RBI hit. And Huff hits a seeing-eye single for another run. Then Utley butchers a ball that should have been the third out.

I haven’t seen that many tough at bats.

You need to be a little fortunate to win in the postseason (just like the Phils were fortunate against the Reds), and the Giants have been today.

158. sportsphan

October 19, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Why is it that whenever anyone is realistic on this blog they get called a bad fan? And anyone who thinks we can still pull out this series is out of their friggin’ minds.

159. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I like your optimism Ryan H ——- Its possible but we really need to win tomorrow now. Three in a row is very very hard to do. I really cant wait to see if Charlie makes some changes tomorrow with Bumgarner on the mound. He has to play Ben in left doesnt he ?

160. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:49 pm

combination of tough shadows and tough pitchers today. that’s all. but you gotta manufacture something

161. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I think I am going to break down and cry.

162. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Brian Wilson is such a loser. He’s trying way to hard to be cool and different. poser

163. Morris Buttermaker

October 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

The Giants are not swinging at balls six inches off the plate and weakly grounding them out or fouling them off. The Phillies are not making good contact. Raul has the only well hit ball since about the 3rd or 4th inning.

164. charlie

October 19, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Shitty at bats for 2 weeks now and the GianTs have the pitching to shut us down. We make f’in Cody Ross look like Albert Pujols. Howard has no power all of a sudden, Werth is a joke and even Polanco is rolling over on pitches Victorino and Rollins might as well bat righty They suck as lefties. If Blanton starts tomorrow we may never make it back to Philly. He will give up runs and we can’t score enough to overcome his pitching. All of a sudden Cole can’t make a quality pitch with 2 strikes. This potent Philly offense is a bunch of pussies. The ratings for a Tex SF series will suck. I think we are doomed. We needed a sweep at home to start this off.IMO the Giants in 5.

165. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I’m trying hard not to lose the faith…if the Phils can even it up again behind Blanton tomorrow, I gotta believe that Halladay will not let them down in Game 5. Then we just need one win in Philly…

but the offense REALLY has to wake up.

166. Kate

October 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

The only way Halladay pitches tomorrow is if we’re facing elimination. Which we aren’t.

Time to Broxton this d-bag up.

167. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

we get something going i want them pinch hitting for raul he’s terrible.

168. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm

The bottom line is that the phillies are in trouble. Tomorrow is must win and now Charlie and company will have to decided if Blanton or Halladay will go tomorrow. Whoever goes tomorrow can’t fix our offense though and that has hurt us the most. If we won game one we wouldn’t be in this predicament.

169. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I hope somebody hits a line drive off that horrible beard

170. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm

to quote Blutarsky; “was it over when the Germans bombed pearl harbor?, when the going get tough,……. the tough get going.”

you think we can’t win three outta four? come on now. The cuz would call you people a buncha “les miserables” . perk up.

171. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Bleh. Werth bats much better when he has the mountain man beard. You’d think he’d be contributing more when he’s getting ready to start negotiating.

172. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Series=over

173. jt

October 19, 2010 at 6:58 pm

the braves were owning this guy and we make him look like mariano rivera come on were better then that.

174. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, that pitcher’s beard looks downright fake, doesn’t it?

175. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

why did it take so long for Rollins to get a hit?

176. Kate

October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Series = NOT OVER

Four games left.

177. Ryan H.

October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

woah generous strike 1 to raul.

178. Tracey

October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Awful. Just awful. To think this started with 3 innings of perfect pitching from Hamels…

179. jt

October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

raul better freaking sit tomorrow it better not even be an option.

180. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

okay the series isn’t over their is just a formality

181. Terri

October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

sit raul tomorrow

182. Matt

October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Smell the balls Tim.

183. miked63

October 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Your right about game 1 terri , would that be the game we lost cause we didnt make a certain catch in lf ? There were other reasons we could have won or lost that game but that non catch was huge. Rauls up now
    with jimmy on 1st , now he’s 0-11 just hit in dp. I’m serious if he starts tomorrow against a tough lefty Charlie is a friggin idiot.

184. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 7:02 pm

with Ibanez grounding into that double play…that is really the last I want to see of him for a while.

Definitely he needs to be on the bench tomorrow. If Francisco can produce, then he stays in the rest of the series. Charlie needs to shake it up a bit. I understand his loyalty to Rollins – many more years. Ibanez doesn’t have that.

185. Ted Bell

October 19, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Sportsphan – You may want to scroll back in this blog to July 21 when many people posting here proclaimed the Phillies season to be over. At that point in the season they were 48-46 and they had just lost their third straight game to the Cardinals (all in embarrassing fashion), and were seven games behind Atlanta. That was the day when so many fans here jumped off the bandwagon. Of course, from that day on the team went 49-19 and won the division rather easily.

If you think the series is over after being down 1-2 that’s fine. I’ll just wait until one of these two teams nails down it’s fourth win.

I’m Ted Bell.

186. AC in NJ

October 19, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Phillies are better in night games on the road…keep the faith for at least 1 more day folks. I know it’s tough…it will be a tough night…but hang in there.

We just need to get it back to Philly…

187. Jeff

October 19, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Rollins atleast got a couple hits in this series that scored runs. Sit the 125 million dollar piece of crap. BIG NOSE

188. bacardipr05

October 19, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Dayum we cant let Nobody Fing Ross kill us like that….our Aces our up…Panic button is hit…Ibanez Dayum…Dayum…up to Joe B…our ride may be up this year folks…

189. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 7:06 pm

ON A POSITIVE NOTE-UGHHHHHHHHHHH,I GOT NOTHING…….

190. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I WILL SAY THIS-THERE IS A LOT OF PRESSURE ON BIG JOE TOMORROW……..

191. Jeff of Nova

October 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Okay I am frustrated…… but I still feel that they can win this without having having H2O pitch on short rest.

We need a little rearrangement in this batting order and lineup.

Sit Ibanez, he has been useless, period I don’t want to hear about how he played so well the 2nd half, he has done nothing right now.

Do something in the batting cage with Utley,Howard, Werth and Rollins.

I am so disappointed in this teams performance today, I feel there was not heart no passion basically went through the motions.

Now our problem is that we face a pitcher tomorrw that we are not that familiar with, which means we will probably get 3 hits.

GRRRRR

They looked like crap today I don’t want to hear the excuses that was unacceptable from this team!!!!!

Plain and simple

192. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Ibanez makes solid contact but right at Huff. He’s 0 for his last 14. Safe to say Ben Francisco is in LF for Game 4.

193. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

THAT WAS FROM PHILLIES TWITTER….

194. max808

October 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Suck it up boys. The media has got you idiots all thinking the G menwould be a pushover. Face it, we have the pitching and something else. HEART.

195. jt

October 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm

lineup tomorrow should be

vic
    utley
    polly
    howard
    werth
    ruiz
    francisco
    rollins

196. bostonkate

October 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Raul better sit tomorrow and doc better pitch. No more of this being loyal crap.

197. jt

October 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm

JAY it should be safe to say raul on the bench tomorrow,but we all know how loyal charlie can be.

198. ChuckS

October 19, 2010 at 7:26 pm

the phils need to score runs to win, Doc can’t win a game 0-0, Joe can’t win 0-0. So it really doesn’t matter who pitches tomorrow.

199. krukdriver

October 19, 2010 at 7:46 pm

My two cents werth…

No run support for Cole is nothing new. That doesn’t make it any easier to watch, though.

Blanton will pitch because he’s guaranteed seven or eight runs. (Although against Bumgarner that may be wishful thinking.)

After making all kinds of noise about pitching around Ross, I felt Hamels had no choice in that situation but to pitch for the out. No way you pitch around him with two on.
    And besides, he made a good pitch that Ross simply went down and got. That’s baseball.

This team has, (as Charlie put it), “gutted it out” all year. Injuries to almost every key player and prolonged batting slumps still couldn’t keep them from winning the east and taking out the Reds. Don’t EVER count this bunch out – certainly not now – they’re only down two games to one!

Beer is good for you.

200. Bart Shart

October 19, 2010 at 7:54 pm

The Phils DO NOT have that same dynamic offense of 08 and 09. Ibanez has looked just terrible at the plate and his failure to hit with runners on base speaks volumes about where his body and mind are. He is just getting too old to play every day and should consider platooning with Francisco. He hurt us today, as did Utley in the field. What is up with Utley? Is he hurting as he looks lame at the plate, as well. Our asses were outplayed today by the Giants, it’s that simple.

October 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Ouch, that one hurt. I won’t stop believing, but one thing worries me about tomorrow.

We typically don’t fair too well against pitchers we haven’t seen before, and we’ve never faced Bumgarner.

202. Andrew from waldorf

October 19, 2010 at 7:57 pm

3 hits?????????

only 3

Bumgarner has never faced the phillies. He is a leftie. Makes too much sense to start fransisco over Ibanez.

I am off the Utley bandwagon too. He is a good reg season fielder. In the playoffs not so much.

You pitch Blanton tomorrow and go on reg rest.

Its looking kinda grim. Need big Joe to win.

3 hits?

203. Kate

October 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I won’t say I’m not worried, but we’re not pitching against elimination tomorrow. Pitching Halladay tomorrow isn’t even on Charlie’s mind right now, I guarantee you guys. He’s looking ahead to Games 5, 6, and 7. I’ve been saying since we found out we were playing the Giants this series is going at least six games.

I’m an Utley fan, but he was a complete joke today. He looked like a Reds player in the playoffs.

As we’re not facing elimination tomorrow, I would not have a problem with benching Raul Ibanez. It’d be different if he was making consistent contact and just sending them right at fielders, but he looks lost. A damn shame, considering what he’s done for us this year, but I hope Charlie considers giving Raul a break and sending Francisco in.

I would also like to see someone other than Gload being first in line for pinch-hitting. Since there’s no way Blanton goes past seven tomorrow, Charlie will PROBABLY have a chance to send up two pinch-hitters. Put Mike Sweeney or Dom Brown in there.

In conclusion… Worrisome. But it’s not time to press the panic button yet.

Don’t stop beliePHing.

204. Jeff of Nova

October 19, 2010 at 8:25 pm

The hitting is absolutely dispicable. If they do not fix it ASAP, it is all over, like Andrew said

3 hits?

I am so sick of hearing everything this team did in 08 and 09 as far as hitting, lets get 10 going

205. Jeff of Nova

October 19, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Also none of this is to take away from San Francisco, but We have more experience and better hitting and better pitching.

We have given the worst thing that could have been given and that is hope to the Giants. They look confident and will definitely be wanting to finish this at home!

206. JAY-AKA-PHILLYBOY

October 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Manuel, Dubee and Halladay talk about pitching Blanton in Game 4 over Halladay on short rest: http://bit.ly/buzD0J