PN Roundtable: Regular Season MVP

This is the Phillies Nation Roundtable. Earlier today, each of the PN writers gave their thoughts on the upcoming series and whether or not it was favorable to the Phillies. In this second roundtable for today, everyone chimes in on who they think was the star of stars this year for the Phils. Keep it here for everything playoffs related. Tomorrow we’ll have an in-depth breakdown of the series.

Question: The Phillies wrapped up the regular season yesterday, finishing 97-65. Who was the Phils regular season MVP?

Michael Baumann: The Phillies have made seven World Series, and each time rode at least one outstanding pitching performance (Alexander in 1915, Konstanty and Roberts in 1950, Carlton in 1980, Denny in 1983, Schilling in 1993, Hamels in 2008, and Lee in 2009). This year ought to be much the same.

With three of the team’s four best position players spending large portions of the year on the DL, the team MVP might as well go to a pitcher, and that pitcher might as well be Roy Halladay. He led the league in wins, K/BB ratio, complete games, shutouts, and innings pitched, and was the focal point of a season of heightened expectations and results all year long. Doc also posted a team-high 6.9 WAR, according to Baseball Reference, tying the second-highest total of his career.

Second place goes to Jayson Werth, who 1) played 156 games, no small feat considering how much downtime the rest of the team’s big bats did and 2) through all the bitching and moaning about his clutch performance, hit .296 with 46 doubles (a total that led the NL) and a team-high .921 OPS. Third place goes to Carlos Ruiz, who led the team in batting average and OBP, delivered in big situations and quietly finished with a higher OPS and more WAR than Chase Utley. Not enough has been said about the great season Chooch has had, but he’s been a stalwart in all aspects of the game.

Paul Boye: The answer for the Phillies’ most valuable player is almost too obvious. It’s Roy Halladay. The man pitched more than 250 innings (first since Curt Schilling in 1998), compiled a boatload of victories, and posted a 2.44 ERA with a 165 ERA+ (the first Philly starter to do that since Steve Carlton in 1980). Really, Doc has been near invaluable. His late-season scuffles notwithstanding, and especially in the face of all the injuries this team weathered, Doc Halladay has easily been the most valuable Philly in 2010.

Honorable mention: Jayson Werth. The impending free agent had a monstrous season. He’s the 10th Philly since 1901 to hit 45+ doubles and the 14th to accumulate 75+ extra-base hits, all while providing a stabilizing, right-handed force in the middle of a lefty-dominated lineup, while also playing a steady (if slightly awkward at times) right field. Werth’s walk year has been awfully impressive. And hey, even Derek Jeter had a tough year with two out and runners in scoring position once. It happens, and it shouldn’t detract from Werth’s fabulous year. His contributions shouldn’t be minimized.

Amanda Orr: Roy Halladay. Every five days is win day. He gave the Phillies a solid 250 innings. Complete Games. Shutouts. Perfect game. How can he not be the team MVP?

Second: Jayson Werth; Third: Ryan Howard.

Kieran Carobine: It has definitely been an exciting season this year for the Phillies. It seems like every other day there was a different player on the DL or nursing some kind of ailment. And most of the time, this was true. However, one of the few constants for the Phillies was the pitching of Roy Halladay. Halladay was exactly what they advertised. He finished the season leading the league in innings pitched, complete games and shutouts.

Dishing out offseason awards is always fun. And if the baseball writers get it right, you will see Roy Halladay’s name not only as Phillies’ MVP but quite possibly league MVP and NL Cy Young. The numbers he has put together and what he has meant to this Phillies team are unmatchable. In 33 starts, he struck out 219 batters, walked only 30, finish third in ERA while winning 21 games. Personally, I think the best of ole Roy is still to come. Halladay is finally going to be pitching in the playoffs and it is only going to get funner here on out.

Other Phillies players deserving on the team MVP would be Ryan Howard, Brad Lidge and/or Carlos Ruiz.

Pat Gallen: I’ll be different, just for the sake of it. I’m voting for my boy Carlos Ruiz.  He was the pulse of the offense for most of the season due to his extraordinary efforts with runners on base and his penchant for the clutch hit. Chooch also has a rapport with the pitchers that goes beyond statistics. He also led the team with a .302 average and on the offensive side of things, Ruiz is my MVP. He hasn’t hit 30+ homers like Howard or been a multi-threat like Werth, but without him, things would certainly be different.

Roy Halladay will come in a close second, since he’s going to win a Cy Young Award – he doesn’t need this fake award anyway. Halladay was incredible and without him, the bullpen would have been gassed coming into the postseason. The Phillies haven’t had a weapon like Doc since Steve Carlton.

Third, I’ll go with Cole Hamels. People were pining for the Hamels of 2008 and it just so happens that guy returned. He gave the Phillies a potent one-two punch with Halladay until Oswalt showed up, and Hamels did some of his best work late in the season.

1. Sweet Dee

October 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thank goodness, Pat. I agree with you! Chooch!

2. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm

1. Ruz
    2. Halladay
    3. Lidge/madson
    4. Polanco
    5. Howard

3. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Ruiz could hit like Dobbs and be the team MVP.
    The one player this team cant lose and still be the best team in MLB.

4. psujoe

October 4, 2010 at 7:40 pm

When do they announce the playoff 25 man roster?

5. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

wed 10 am

6. mike

October 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm

you might think i’m crazy…

but i’m going with…valdez, castro, fransico, gload, schneider

when just about every regular was hurt, these guys stepped up and kept the phils within striking distance of the braves…

after’s the pitching.

October 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm

8. psujoe

October 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Andrew.

October 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm

HONORABLE MENTION-Although not maybe MVP worthy,VALDEZ deserves some kind of reward for helping this team out so much!

October 4, 2010 at 7:58 pm

1. Halladay
    2. Werth
    3. Ruiz
    4. Hamels
    5. Polanco

October 4, 2010 at 8:07 pm

While it is tough to go against Roy Halladay, I’m going to echo Pat and Andrew’s take on this one.

It’s Carlos Ruiz for his excellent handling of the pitching staff, his defense and clutch hitting. Only 4 passed balls in 121 games with the assortment of pitches this guy sees day in day out is extraordinary!

Not many teams can boast a 7 or 8 hole hitter that leads the team in OBP and BA. , and had he not missed 40 games he may have been among the leaders in RBI as well.

We are extremely fortunate to have three great SP’s, two of which came to us new this year with very high pedigrees. For a guy like Chooch to earn their respect says alot about his Baseball IQ and leadership.

12. biz

October 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Raul Ibanez. His numbers after the break and the Phillies resurgence a coincidence?

October 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

JPB I agree.

14. bostonkate

October 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm

1. Chooch
    2. Doc
    3. Hamels

15. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Anyone familar with me can tell you I was on Ruizs jock in 07/08.
    Makes me feel good to see him getting the press.
    My favorite part of the Lee trade was losing Marson. Management understood though.

I have to admit he is my favorite player EVER and will always be.

I am a realist if at some point him signing somewhere else or him being tradedis in the best interst of the Phillies then it is how it is.
    But I cant see that day coming in the next 3 years. No way.

16. Ryan

October 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

1. Howard
    2. Ruiz
    3. Halladay
    4. Ibanez
    5. Victorino

…Let’s not kid ourselves. Howard’s run production is a must-have. Even when he’s not at his best, he’s still either driving runs in or even scoring runs. Our offense is not as prolific and does not have the same confidence or imposing presence without him.

October 4, 2010 at 9:13 pm

ToddZolecki Reached Ruben Amaro Jr. earlier. He said Carlos Ruiz is “all good” after doctor’s visit for left elbow. Sounds like he’ll be OK for Game 1.

18. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Think abou this. Chase utley the best player on the team isnt even being talked about. And the Phils still have a chance to win the WS.

For me to put Howard 1 he’d need those 55 homers and 160 RBI
    because defense is so important.. That I have him 5th in his worst year shows how much I appreciate his hitting and presence in the lineup.

19. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm

@ Jay good news

Even if he broke it I think hed gut it out in the playoffs though.

October 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm

21. pheeling it

October 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Halladay of course.

Chooch is up there, number 2

Werth is 3. You could even say Raul is tied there too.

I AM SO SIKED FOR WEDNESDAY!!!!! I wonder how Halladay will pitch in his first October baseball

22. pheeling it

October 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Did anyone see the position match-ups on Total joke. They gave some guy named Hernandez the nod over Chooch? Votto over Howard??? Rolen over Polanco?? Give me a break, reds are good but I can’t wait to see how we come out guns blazing

23. pheeling it

October 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm

No lefties in the rotation of the reds, no surprises. Let’s just put a 4 spot early and let the roy’s feed on the corners

24. Chuck

October 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Votto over Howard is legit.

The rest is a joke.

25. biz

October 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Pheeling it,

I did a breakdown position by position yesterday. Being as unbiased as I could be, even favoring the Reds perhaps more than I should have, I came out with 1 position in the Reds favor. Votto slightly over Howard. I love Ryno, but the numbers this season are the numbers. I gave Drew Stubbs more credit than I should have, and gave him a tie with Vic. And Polly and Rolen also get a tie. Again, I’ll take Polly. Ruiz may be the best catcher in the NL. The Reds have nothing on him. Those match-ups on MLB are a joke.

26. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

@ pheeling
    take all that stuff with a grain of salt. they do lists and stuff like that to spark debate.

Hernandez has been a pretty good bat for awhile. Hit 20 homers a few years not that long ago. Hes a shell now though.

Makes me laugh how stupid the media can be. Believe me this is why most people dont understand the sport. Because the media giving them information is stupid too. BUT I want it no other way. That our little secret Ruiz is appreciated here is enough. I get no satisfaction from others appreciating him. Rather them say Piazza is the greatest catcher of all time. And have the lucky 5% who understands Ruiz is bigger in this series than Votto and Victorino is better than Beltran. If it was the 95% who understood it then it would bore me.

27. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Votto had a better year.
    Under no circumstances do I take him over Howard in this series. You take the proven commodity.

28. Chuck

October 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Joey Votto is the Reds X factor.

If he produces like crazy….and Howard doesn’t…..

….(you all can finish the thought)…

29. Andrew from waldorf

October 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Votto is thier most important player.
    Could pitch around him some and should limit his damage.
    He is coming in with some issues though that I have discussed in some other threads. Been missing days for fatigue and not looking like himself etc etc.

October 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I’ll finish the thought-
    Then the other 24 Phillies will beat the 24 other Reds.
    We win this series as a team, the same way we’ve done it all year. Votto can even have the NLDS MVP if he wants it, then he can go home. We have work to do.

How about that for a happy ending!

31. bacardipr05

October 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Poppycrap…………Ruiz is the MVP….’nuff said…

32. Adam

October 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm

So as for MVP gotta give it to Ruiz just for the sake of not giving it to Halladay who should win the NL Cy Young. Ruiz is just a rock by behind the plate and I love that the entire league has yet to recognize that if you throw Ruiz a fastball on the inner half it is going to get hammered.

So was thinking about this today. The Phillies had their complete healthy lineup for a grand total of 14 games this season. If the Phils won 97 games with all the injuries, how many do the Phils win if the lineup is healthy. Assuming Oswalt trade occurs again and the bullpen injuries do not happen. Basically, saying what if the Phillies stayed as healthy as say the Giants who off the top of my head lost nobody super important for an extended period of time? I think it would not be unreasonable to think this team might have 105-110 wins.

33. biz

October 4, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Ricky Bo said it best when describing Ruiz; he hits every ball hard.

Ruiz drives the baseball. No, he doesn’t have HR power, he has linedrive power. And he’s the best 8 hitter in either league. Best catcher in the NL, too.

34. Publius

October 4, 2010 at 11:59 pm

MVP obviously belongs to Wilson Valdez. If he didn’t step up and take over the infield positions he did when Polly and Utley went down, then who would have?

Oh, right, one of a slew of replacement-level infielders available, and they probably don’t GIDP nearly as much.

Seriously though it’s gotta be Roy

35. Ryan

October 5, 2010 at 12:02 am

I love the fact that the media and other teams STILL overlook Ruiz. It falls right into his hands. I can’t wait until a team intentionally walks Ibanez/Victorino to get to Ruiz with a runner in scoring position…and yes, it will happen. I know it.

36. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 12:05 am

There arent a slew of Valdezs
    Castro was ahead of him on depth chart to start the year. Where is he now?
    He is a valuable asset.

Since its after midnight the Phillies play in the playoffs tomorrow.
    Roy Halladay to start!

37. Ryan

October 5, 2010 at 12:06 am

Valdez is our key utility guy, but he is certainly not dynamic enough to be considered for MVP. He is a solid player, and did very well filling in for Rollins and co. However, if Rollins never went on the DL, he would still have contributed a little more over that span than Valdez did.

38. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 12:08 am

Ruiz is great clutch hitter but dont get spoiled by his hitting.
    He gets MVP for what he does for the team. Handling the staff and playing the most important position on the diamond.
    I seriously mean it when I say he could hit like dobbs and be this teams MVP. That he is so clutch just cements his status.

39. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 12:10 am

Valdez doesnt grow on trees.
    Imagine if he had a Dobbs or Bruntlett style year.
    Bruntlett was the util last year. Now insert him for Valdez.
    The double plays are just an aberation that the media and types put out there. Hes an 8th hitter no doubt. But he was extrememly key to the 2010 phillies.

40. Ryan

October 5, 2010 at 12:12 am

The one thing I notice about Votto…and you have my permission to argue profoundly with me on this but…he seems to be a guess hitter.

I’ve seen him look really bad on pitches that he’s driven well out of the ballpark before. I’ve also seen him freeze often on hanging breaking balls and fastballs right down the middle. He is pretty damn good…but I just feel that pitchers could keep him off-balance and possibly out-smart him by mixing it up as much as possible.

41. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 12:15 am

Its all perception. Valdez way out did himself. He impressed me and proved valuable.
    Some people are mentioning Werth. Id not mention Werth or Utley in this conversation. Werths numbers with RISP and his extra base hits to RBI ratio batting 5th for the phillies are a big disappointment to me.
    Utley just had a sub par injury riddled year. Although I bet Chase is MVP of the post season.

42. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 12:16 am

You dont let Votto beat you. Like you dont let Pujos beat you with the cardinals. He shouldnt have much to hit. Period.

43. Ryan

October 5, 2010 at 12:20 am

I agree with that Andrew, but he has not contributed a considerable amount, especially not to our late-season surge. We got ourselves back in first place because players that Valdez filled in for like Utley and Rollins returned and ignited a spark in this team. Is THAT any coincidence? That’s not something that Valdez can do. He was a great defensive player, but he had an OBP of under .300.

Don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful for what he has been able to do for us this year, but all the “Phillies MVP” talk about Valdez is going a little overboard.

44. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 1:27 am

Its all perception like I said. Moyer had more wins that Hamels and was only 1 behind doc when he got hurt but I hear no mention of him.
    Personally Id put Valdez over Werth this year. I am sure I am in the proud 5% on that. But you put a bat in RF and you get some built in numbers. Batting 5th for the phillies and playing RF gives you some stats. Like playing 1b does.

45. bacardipr05

October 5, 2010 at 1:44 am

Im sure there is a Game Plan for Votto. I would maybe go after him if bases are empty and pitch around him if any runners on. The slight disadvantage is both parks are hitters park. I dont think we cant shut both Rolen an Votto completely out. They are going to get there hits. Damage control i believe is the key.

46. biz

October 5, 2010 at 5:42 am

Ryan – Valdez OBP was over .300, not by much, but still over. .306

Valdez played a very good SS and 2B and got some very big hits for the Phillies. Remember that 11th or 12th inning rbi against the Marlins during that 8 game win streak that turned the season around? I do.

For the character up thread who thinks utility guys grow on trees, I have 4 words for you: Eric Bruntlett Juan Castro. Oh yeah, Greg Dobbs.

47. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 6:46 am

Publius was just being a wiseguy when he said that about Valdez being the MVP. He, along with a few others, were all over a few of us last week when we suggested just how important Wilson Valdez was this season.

What he STILL doesn’t get is that Valdez actually was that valuable…..and that we probably wouldn’t be where we are right now if he didn’t step up. Even Uncle Cholly said that Valdez (paraphrasing) “might be the MVP of the team.”

In my opinion, it’s really hard to pick a single MVP. There are so many guys. That’s why this club is special. All of them have stepped up at times to help the Phillies win some ballgames. It’s not like you have a clear-cut guy, like King Felix in Seattle, who stands apart from the others on a very bad club.

I like your answer/thought at 10:39PM…”the other 24 Phillies will beat the 24 other Reds. We win this series as a team, the same way we’ve done it all year.”

48. bfo_33

October 5, 2010 at 7:04 am

Doc averaged 7-2/3 innings this year. Every 5th day, you knew he’d put you in a position to win, and not burn out your pen. He gave you the ability to pull Kendrick early when he didn’t have it, and not worry about needing to save middle relievers for the next day. While a lot of guys contributed on the way, no one else had a career year (maybe Valdez, I don’t think he ever sees 350 ABs in a season). The stats alone get him the award, not including his work ethic rubbing off on the rest of the staff, all the other intangibles.

Polanco is the best #2 hitter in the league, and played better than expected at 3rd. His contributions don’t always make it to the box score (often moved the runner to scoring position vs knocking him in, keeping an inning alive), but may have been the most valuable offensive weapon on the team. Just imagine if he went through the season without bones chips in his elbow.

Chooch a rock behind the plate and a decent stick this year, several clutch rbis.

Howard and Werth had good seasons, but well documented holes, coming in at 4th and 5th.

49. PizzaBagel

October 5, 2010 at 9:25 am

Obviously Halladay is the best pitcher in the national league, if not in all of baseball. However, think about who calls all of his pitches? And how many signs does Halladay actually shake off? With his lethal combination of unbreakable defense as a backstop and potent stroke of the bat, Carlos Ruiz is Pizza Bagel’s MVP.

50. Barry

October 5, 2010 at 9:39 am

Ruiz. You have to include the way he works with pitchers–and that he virtually carried the team when they needed it most.

October 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

I said this before but most of you will be surprised when Werth appears in top 10 for the League MVP vote…

He had a great year… if you’ve been watching him play last month (when he WAS clutch) and 2007-2009, the anti-clutch RISP argument doesn’t hold any ground.

52. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

Wouldn’t surprise me at all, Manny.

But then…..Philly fans have all but kicked Werth out of town.

53. Bob in Bucks

October 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

Howard is the MVP despite having a down year. He drives in the runs and without the runs you don’t win the game.
    Halladay is great but he is only in every fifth game.
    I love Ruiz but I think people are getting carried away with his great year. MVPs do not bat 8th.

October 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Big three getting love in the USA today

October 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Guys dont click the link,just a picture and its up-side down.Thats what i get for not looking first….LOL….SRY

56. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Carlos Ruiz isn’t just any 8-hole hitter.

Chuck’s top 5 MVP’s (in no particular order):

Lidge (yeah, Lidge….the numbers don’t lie after Aug 1)

on the cusp (meaning you could make a case for them being in there in place of anyone else):

I would say that Werth and Howard should be at the bottom of that cusp list…..good years….but not team MVP worthy.

Just this man’s one opinion.

57. Philly Texan

October 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Roy Halladay is the MVP.

Chooch is second.

Werth, Polly, Valdez, Raul, Howard are all big parts of the team. They were all key contributors in the regular season—and you could argue we wouldn’t have won the division w/o them.

But there’s a difference between key players and the mvp. Without Halladay, this team would be dead in the water. He should have 25 wins. He’s the MVP.

October 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm

HERE IS A GOOD LINK-10 numbers for the NLDS: Phillies vs. Reds (Yahoo! Sports): As the start of the postseason approaches, Big League …

59. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, if there was a gun at my head and I had to pick one…..yeah, I’d probably go with Doc.

Not only did he do what he did on the field….

but he energized an organization and a fanbase right from the day he was acquired….probably more than anybody since Steve Carlton.

October 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I admittedly had a tough time picking against Doc for team MVP, but in the end I decided that the intangibles Chooch brings were too much to overlook. We’ve been over his clutch hitting, defense, handling of the staff etc. but here’s just one example of what I mean by intangibles.

Remember how Brad Lidge was struggling? Where would we be now without having the great back half Lidge had?- check this out, it’s from a link JPB posted yesterday. It seems Brad always had a believer.

“Lidge thrives on confidence. It carried him through his perfect 48-for-48 season in 2008. It abandoned him in 2009 when he blew a majors-high 11 saves. Catcher Carlos Ruiz sees the old confidence in Lidge’s eye again.

“When a hitter is going good, you can see it in his face,” Ruiz said. “It’s the same thing with Brad. You can see it.”

Ruiz has been a big part of Lidge’s revival.

“I never lost confidence in him,” Ruiz said. “I told him all the time, ‘You have great stuff, throw it. Don’t think about it, throw it. Relax and throw it.’”

October 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Charlie Manuel said Carlos Ruiz and J.C. Romero are good to go for Game 1.

October 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Game 3 Sunday will be at 7:07 pm

October 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Game 4 on Monday is at 5:07 pm and Game 5 on Wednesday is at 6:07 pm

October 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

October 5, 2010 at 1:22 pm

BTW – I’ve held off ranking anyone else behind Ruiz and Halladay because for rankings 3-5, I can make a case for nearly everyone else on the team.
    Someone always picked up the slack when others weren’t going well. It truly was a total team effort. Every time I try to rank the next three, I keep naming all of them, and can’t seem to put them in any order!

Werth,Ibanez,Hamels,Oswalt,Lidge,Victorino,Polanco,Madson,Rollins,Howard,Utley,Valdez, and many more smaller role guys that made important contributions. Facing this team must be a nightmare for the other teams.

October 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Jay there won’t be a game 5- LOL

67. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Notice my 1 and 2….even though I said no particular order.

Ruiz and Halladay.

October 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Position players: Domonic Brown, Ben Francisco, Ross Gload, Ryan Howard, Raul Ibanez, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schneider, Mike Sweeney, Chase Utley, Wilson Valdez, Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth.

Pitchers: Antonio Bastardo, Joe Blanton, Jose Contreras, Chad Durbin, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Kyle Kendrick, Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Roy Oswalt and J.C. Romero.

October 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm

October 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Full schedule and umpiring crew for NLDS

71. bfo_33

October 5, 2010 at 2:31 pm

JAY, despite our best wishes, there is no way Dobbs is left off the roster. With two wounded infielders, Charlie will bring both Valdez and Dobbs. In a 5 game series with 3 off days built in, should only need 10 pitchers, which probably leaves off KK or Romero (if he’s hurt). If we go with 11, that will drop off Brown.
    My vote would be 10 pitchers, since KK will only see garbage time, would rather have a speed option on the bench. Francisco is the only other speed option, and you probably want him available for a double switch or pinch hit. Sweeney is the only other rh bench bat with power. In a 7 game series, I’d go with 11 pitchers, leave off Brown.

October 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Amaro and his gang are having a good year

October 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm

BFO_33-I think dobbs was bad enough the last few games that he WILL be left off,charlie gave him a chance and he blew it………I really really hope he is left off!

74. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Dobbs had better be left off!! He showed me NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the last week or so that warrants his presence on this roster.

If an injury happens to an infielder (or actually 2 infielders)…I am sure that SOMEONE on this team can play a few innings at an infiled position.

75. Chuck

October 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

BTW…good link JAY. Good article. Thanks!!

76. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Do I have to name the 36 other first baseman who drive in runs?
    Or the 360 in the minors who could play 1b for the Phils and hit 30 and drive in 100?

Not trying to diminish. Id take him over Votto or Texiera or anyone. just saying. Hes not in this convo. Or Thome and Dunn should be.
    But Id not take Votto Texiera Thome or Dunn over a player that matters.
    55 160 to start to discuss him.

77. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Dobbs cant hit. Id rather a RH like Sweeney or Valdez up over him vs a rightie.
    the old man notices stuff like that. Brown is certainly on the roster and Gload.

October 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm

October 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Roy Halladay shares some thoughts before Game 1 of the NLDS:

80. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Its marginal. They will play.
    Worst case scenario it rains in the second and we lose Doc.
    Just saying. They play.

October 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm

THIS ARTICLE GIVES CHARLIE NO LOVE-The Dugout Generals: Ranking the playoff managers (Yahoo! Sports): Eight managers with a total of thirty-two years…

82. bfo_33

October 5, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Chuck/JAY, I hope you are right. I’d take my chances with Sweeney, Werth (move Gload to right), or Francicso at 3rd (maybe even Vic – he’s got the gun, but probably too skittish) over Dobbs, but I don’t think Charlie will.

83. Bob in Bucks

October 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Anyone who saw the Braves series has got to see that fielding does count. Dobbs is not a great fielder but with Polanco and Rollins both hurt it is not a longshot to assume one would be pulled from the game to be replaced by Valdez. Then Charlie may want to pinch hit for him with Gload or Sweeney or Francisco BUT who take the infield slot. Don’t tell me anyone can do it – they can’t, if they could Bocock would not have been on the roster at the end of the year.
    We need Dobbs in order to allow Charlie to pinch hit if Polanco or Rollins go down. Otherwise we may lose the game on a Valdez grounder into a double play.

84. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Need Dobbs?
    How scary is that thought? Not saying if I agree or disagree.

About 24 hours gentlemen.

October 5, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Brown is indeed on the roster. “It’s great, man.”

October 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm

87. Andrew from waldorf

October 5, 2010 at 5:30 pm

To me Brown was never in question. Like beating the braves in the division. Its easy.

88. SirAlden

October 5, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Werth “Fabulous Year”?

*cough* “Stat Whore.

Werth did not drive in a run with two outs for over months.