Bats suffer Spring Break slump – Phillies Nation
2011 Game Recaps

Bats suffer Spring Break slump

This one stung a bit.  It was the first time the Phillies were shutout all season losing 9-0 against the Brewers and the first time this year they have lost back to back games.  Oh well, it’s just one game right?

So about that one game….

It was just one of those nights for the Phillies.  With their ace, Roy Halladay, on the mound the bats could not get going.  It is games like these that the offense gets over looked I think.  The line will have Halladay being charged with six runs in 6.2 innings.  All of which would not matter had the offense scored seven runs, which we all know they are very capable of doing.

The Phillies didn’t get the best out of Halladay tonight.  In my opinion, it looked like Doc was getting pinched a bit by the home plate umpire.  Halladay gave up a season high 10 hits and six runs.  He hadn’t given up six runs since June 15, 2010 at Yankee Stadium.  Halladay is human.

The offense on the other hand was not human tonight.  They were without a pulse.  The team that leads the division in average and runs managed only two hits off starter Randy Wolf and then none from the bullpen.  Shane Victorino‘s double in the third inning was the last hit by any Phillies player.  Jimmy Rollins had a bunt single in the first.

A lot will be said about Charlie Manuel’s decision to start Raul Ibanez in left and John Mayberry Jr in right while sitting Ben Francisco.  Ibanez has had some success against the lefty Wolf in the past but an extra righty in the line up could have mixed it up a little.

Halladay got an extra day of rest because of the rainout.  He was coming off a 123 pitch complete game against Washington.  Manuel thought the extra day would help.

Ryan Braun continued his hitting ways against the Phillies.  Braun went 2 for 3 with a home run and three runs scored.  He has now reached base safely in every game this season.

David Herndon came in for relief of Halladay and served up a three run homer to Casey McGehee.  Herndon didn’t record an out and was charged with two hits and three runs.  Mike Zagurski got the call up today filling in for the injured J.C. Romero and pitch a third of an inning striking out one batter and allowing a hit.

The Phillies will look to avoid the sweep tomorrow with Cliff Lee on the hill.  This will be the first series the Phillies have lost all season.

Click to comment

1. SC connection

April 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm

As much as I love SC you have no idea how great it is to be able to follow Philly teams on the internet. This is my sports lifeline…… It’s rough when the only hoagie or cheesteak has to come from a Jersey Mikes. Miss my Philly soul food and my Phillies,Eagles & Flyers.

• Pat Gallen

April 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Welcome SC. Thanks for jumping on.

2. Bruce

April 19, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Yes..Halliday is human. And the Philly bats inevitably cool off. That’s why there is a 162 game season with all its’ peaks and valleys. there will be constant adjustments by players and managers throughout the season. Hopefully, key players like Utley and Brown; Lidge and Romero will be able to fully recover and give the team a boost in their drive to a division title. So lets’ forget about this loss tonight as view it as “one of those nights” and move on to tomorrows’ game.

As much the Philly bats slumbered tonight, it must be said that Randy Wolf was at his best in mixing his pitches and changing speeds. His location was spot on. And his specialty..eye high fastball gave him key strikeouts. You would think the Phillies hitters would know what they can expect from a ex-Phillies pitcher. Wolf, a finesse pitcher, when he is on, can be very tough and such was the case tonight. I tip my Phillies cap to him.

3. jeff y

April 20, 2011 at 4:17 am

Phils need some power in the lineup. Howard and Ibanez look like AA ball players the last few games. Charlie should sit them down against lefties. They are automatic outs.

4. bfo_33

April 20, 2011 at 5:08 am

Thankfully, had to work late last night. Got home, 9-0, didn’t even search for highlights. Fortunately, it only counts as one loss.

Facing another lefty tonight, although Narveson can have control issues. Not the Phils strong point, but need to be patient tonight. Would like to see Ibanez get the day off, esp since heading to SD for a Thurs night game (by the way, that is a pretty brutal schedule, playing a day game today, then a west coast night game tomorrow).

For the past several years, this offense has been feast or famine. Without the two on base guys, even more so now. Need a shutdown game by Lee tonight.

5. Thedipsy

April 20, 2011 at 5:53 am

Yes, Roy was getting squeezed. The ump would not give him the outside corner and that hurt Roy a lot. It doesn’t matter as much for Wolf because he doesn’t live on the corners. Its either that big curve or…….. I bet Roy is totally pissed. As for the O, well, its like this every year.

The Dipsy

6. Chuck

April 20, 2011 at 6:33 am

David Herndon really sucked last night. One pitch….3-run jack. A walk. Another hit. WTF!!

The offense was lame. BUT….there were some well hit balls that just ended up as outs. Jimmy crushed one ball that had double ….and RBI….all over it…..only to be somehow caught by the left fielder.

We’ll be fine. Lee will get it done today to salvage.

• Pat Gallen

April 20, 2011 at 6:48 am

Chuck, Charlie Manuel disagrees with you. He said he saw 3 hard hit balls all night and if you think about it, he’s right. So many balls did not get out of the infield. It was grounder after grounder. They have no one to give them power right now.

Read this goodie by Corey: http://ht.ly/4E5zt

• Chuck

April 20, 2011 at 6:59 am

Maybe it was just me then. Maybe I’m just trying to be more optimistic than I should be. I DO feel, though, that somehow they will find their way. And I don’t mean with just hitting home runs either. Corey says that those days are over and I agree….but, unlike Charlie Manuel, I don’t think they need to live and die by the 3-run homer (although a few would be nice)

7. Pat Gallen

April 20, 2011 at 7:10 am

But the days of hitting home runs cant be over completely or they just wont win. You cant expect to hit like the Pirates and be a contender, even with the pitching staff the Phillies have.

8. Don M

April 20, 2011 at 8:02 am

at least this only counts as 1 game of our 162 ….and thus, its not a big deal. We all know the Brewers are legit, and Halladay just didnt have his best stuff last night. . . i’d still love our chances against them in a playoff series

• Manny

April 20, 2011 at 8:07 am

I wouldn’t like our chances against them in a playoff series! When on, their top 3 (Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum) could match our guys. And they have the better offense ($hittier bullpen, though/probably).

• Chuck

April 20, 2011 at 8:27 am

You’re saying that Greinke, Gallardo and Marcum could match up to Halladay, Lee and Oswalt (or Hamels) in a playoff series?? Wow.

• Manny

April 20, 2011 at 8:52 am

Yea (when they’re on). Greinke has CY-Young stuff; Gallardo is an excellent No.2 with ace-like potential; Marcum is perhaps the best No.3 in the league not named Roy Oswalt/Cole Hamels.

9. TheDipsy

April 20, 2011 at 8:57 am

Manny – Pass the bong.

The Dipsy

10. Don M

April 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

I dont think Manny is that far off ….. our rotation is better, but theirs with Grienke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson is one of the best in the NL …. their lineup is solid with one of the best 3-4 combos in baseball … Rickie Weeks is explosive, when healthy, Corey Hart and Casey McGehee are both power threats . ….. Gomez as their 2 hitter can either make them the most dangerous team or he’ll hold them back .. his speed is crazy …. I think their bullpen is weaker though ..

So with better pitching from Top to Bottom… Start to Finish .. I think we have the edge..

Reds, Brewers, Giants, Rockies were the teams that scared me to start the season.. and they still do … If the Dodgers could add a bat at the deadline, they’ll be tough too

We need Chase back to really do some damage this season

11. Don M

April 20, 2011 at 9:12 am

Also . . . . look at how you have to play the games on the field, not just on paper … and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the Brewers go deep in the playoffs this year.. Ownership that’s willing to spend, and to trade prospects, etc. . . they’ll need to chase the postseason with a full effort to help convince Prince Fielder to stay as a Free Agent

Manny can pass the bong because of what day it is… not because of the RIGHT ON (dutch) comments

12. Lyndanne

April 20, 2011 at 9:53 am

They are fine. I’m not a statistician but I do believe the bats will be back… On a much happier note the Phantic won favorite mascot 🙂 whohoooo

13. The Original Chuck P

April 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

I said this on the other post… raising the panic meter to DEFCON 5 is absurd. Are we as good as we thought? I think so… we’re 10-6, first place in our division and we are still the team to beat. Are there other teams that are stepping up as legitimate contenders?? Absolutely… the Brewers are a good baseball team and I expect them to be there in September. We’re going to drop series’ and I know that this is going to be painful for you to hear but we’re going to get swept at least once this year. The bulls eye is on our back and every team that comes here is vying to make a statement.

I think that we could use a shot in the arm… I’m glad to see Dom Brown back in action. I’m sure they’ll take it slow with him but he is the guy that I think could provide that spark. Utley would be the obvious choice among the two (if we could pick one guy off of the DL) but I hope that the Phillies take it slow with him. He’s no good to us if he’s not healthy.

Ben Fran and Ibanez need to do better… if Charlie is thinking about tinkering, I would like to see him move J-Roll out of the 3 spot and give Ibanez a shot there. Move Jimmy back into his customary leadoff spot and slide Shane into the 5/6 hole. I think that Ibanez is more comfortable in that 3 spot… I think that’s where we’re missing production. Jimmy hasn’t been terrible (hitting .277) but he only has 1 RBI. Tha’ts not just his thing… putting him 3rd also handcuffs his running a little bit. You might not want him to run with Howard at the plate and if Polly is on base in front of him, that’s going to slow him down. He leads the team in SB but his chances are limited.

My $0.02.

14. Chuck

April 20, 2011 at 11:02 am

I agree that the Brewers are legit and that their pitching is good and that they could be there in Sept/Oct. But I just have a hard time thinking that their starters match up well against ours in a playoff series. We’ve all seen what all four of these “Aces” ….and Joe Blanton….can do in the postseason.

15. Don M

April 21, 2011 at 9:33 am

I thought we had the edge in pitching last year vs the Giants too … so again, if you have above average pitching.. and above average offense .. you are just as dangerous as anyone else . . . the “better on paper” stuff goes out the window once they take the field which means that the Brewers are among the Top 5 NL teams with a chance to contend …. We have a great team, but the NL is stronger right now then it has been in a few years

16. Yelhsa

September 25, 2011 at 7:04 am

Thanks for spending time on the computer (wtrinig) so others don’t have to.