POLL: Phillie of the Last 10 Years – Phillies Nation
Analysis

POLL: Phillie of the Last 10 Years

Does Hamels get your vote?

Who was your “Phillie of the Decade” from 2002-2011?
1B –Ryan Howard
1B – Jim Thome
2b – Chase Utley
SS- Jimmy Rollins
RF- Bobby Abreu
SP- Roy Halladay
SP- Cole Hamels

Was Jim Thome signing here as a Free Agent enough to change the culture, and grab your vote?

Was it Jimmy Rollins?  The man with the “team to beat” statement, backed by his MVP season, and his always-steady defense.

Maybe it was Ryan Howard taking Major League Baseball by storm, being the fastest player to reach 100, 150, and 200 HRs (in 2010, Howard would also become the fastest player to ever reach 250 HRs)?

Is WAR enough to convince you that Chase Utley is and was the man?  Or does that go to Bobby Abreu- best on the team for a lot of years only to be traded away as things were looking up?

Has Halladay done enough in his short time to warrant a vote?

How about Hamels and his pitching performance that brought this city a title?

Let us know who you choose and why…

For those that care… WAR Totals 2000-2009:

Bobby Abreu (2000-2006) = 5.8, 4.9, 5.2, 7.1, 4.8, 4.6, 2.1= 34.5

*2x All Star, Silver Slugger, Gold Glove

Chase Utley (2003-2009) = 0.2, 1.5, 6.2, 5.7, 6.6, 6.6, 7.3 = 34.1

*4x All Star, 4x Silver Slugger… all consecutive from ’06-‘09

Jimmy Rollins = (2000-2009) = 0.0, 2.1, 1.3, 2.1, 4.9, 4.1, 3.5, 6.1, 3.6, 1.0= 28.7

*2007 NL MVP, 3x All Star, 3x Gold Glove winner, Silver Slugger

Ryan Howard (2004- 2009) = 0.4, 2.4, 5.8, 2.6, 2.8, 4.4 = 18.4

*Rookie of the Year, NL MVP in 2007 (also finished 2 ,3, 5 in this time frame), 2x All Star, Silver Slugger

Jim Thome (2003-2005) = 5.9, 3.7, 0.0 = 9.6

*Finished 4th in MVP for the 2003 season, named an All Star in 2004

Personally, I’ll go with Jimmy Rollins.  He played in red pinstripes for the entire decade, through the ups & downs, thick & thin, etc. We know how bad the Phillies were when Rollins first came up to the majors, but when I think of the rebound of Phillies baseball, I picture Jimmy Rollins.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

1. Pete Githens

January 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm

How come Chooch isn’t on the list?

2. Ian

January 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Howard won the MVP in 2006 not 2007.

3. Don M

January 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm

My bad, yes Howard won the MVP in ’06… I had both he as Rollins listed as ’07. They’ll surely take that out of my paycheck

4. hamels and cheese

January 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm

jroll has been the backbone of this team.

5. reno46

January 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Chase would have been “Mr. October” in 09’….if they won. He has been clutch on both sides of the game, and if he can stay healthy, will continue to be.

6. hamels and cheese

January 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

and who voted for bobby abreu

7. BART SHART

January 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Ryan Howard is my choice.

8. Chuck A.

January 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Favorite Phillie of the last ten years?? For me it’s Rollins. He’s the heart and soul of this team and had the ba!!s to open up his mouth and the team responded.

Favorite Phillie on this team?? Right now?? I’d have to say Halladay.

Oh, and @hamels and cheese….. love the name, dude!

9. Chapps

January 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm

How did Pat not make the list?

10. Rob R.

January 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I agree with ChuckA. and Cheese, and voted for Jroll. But it was a tough choice over Utley. So the voting seems to reflect my sentiments, mainly.

11. Don M

January 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

This started as an idea to have the span be 2000-2009.. But then change to make it he past ten years-from now.. Burrell just didn’t measure up compared to these guys.. I wanted to include Thome because he was the first player in forever to choose Philadelphia as his destination … Moved with us into the new stadium which started the increased revenue, etc… I thought that Utley would win this vote with no problem.

January 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

It’s tough to pick just one. I changed my mind several times, but In the end I voted for Hamels. You can make a case for almost all of them, all great players at different points in their careers. But in 2008 Cole sealed the deal, winning two post season MVP’s for it. Not saying he didn’t have a lot of help, just giving the reason for my vote.

13. Don M

January 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm

And different accomplishments mean differe t things to different people… Everyone from the ’08 team gets a beer on me should I ever see them. I just think of Rollins when I think of the Phillies, though I’ve said multiple times that he and Hamels are my two favorite players

14. Don M

January 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Also… We had a benefit last night for a former Philly firefighter that lost his life to cancer, got all kinds of generous stuff from various Phillies players.. Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins each signed a bat, Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose each signed a helmet, Shane Victorino set an autographed baseball, and Cole Hamels set an autographed painting of him on the mound.. These guys are amazing, so glad to have them be the ones wearing the red pinstripes so we can cheer them on each season

15. Dan

January 16, 2012 at 7:21 am

It should be JRoll by a long shot…. but I know that Utley will probably win this. Rollins is the only one on that list who has been here the whole time playing with the big club right? Not only that, but he was the vocal leader of this team that took us to the playoffs after 14 years being absent and then the next year helped us win our first world-series. Utley has suffered too many injuries to be considered Phillie of the decade.

16. Bob in Bucks

January 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

As with all polls you need to very careful in the wording. You started with Phillie of the Decade but in the end the question was Who was your favorite Phillie?” Two different questions. Utley is my (and apparenttly most others “favorite”. Why? Because he always, always gives his all and does the right thing. If you watch closely he is always in position and always hustling. So, he is the favorite.

For Phillie of the decade I cannot really choose. I view this as two separate periods. 2000-2006 in which case it is easily Abreu – “walls” and all. For 2007-2011 I can’t really decide. Halladay does not have enough years but clearly he is dominant. All the others have been up and down.

• Don M

January 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

@Bob in Bucks … I agree … problem here is that me and Pat were going back on forth via text/email on cell phones- and ideas got blended together.. A lot of people voted, and this got a lot of talk going on the facebook page as well ..

• schmenkman

January 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Agree that these are two different questions.

Howard has been my favorite, slightly ahead of Utley and Rollins, but I believe Utley is the player of the decade.

Despite his injuries… depending on your flavor of WAR, Utley has had either the 4th best 8-year stretch (rWAR), or 2nd best 8-year stretch (fWAR) of all second basemen of the past 50 years. The only one clearly ahead of him is Morgan.

17. Brooks

January 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Favorite Phil – Cholly has molded a great bunch of characters, each personality draws respect and admiration from fans everywhere.
    They all play hard give everything they got in their own way.
    I really, really love this team.
    Jroll, Vic, Utley, Howard, Chooch, Pence, Hamels, Halladay & Lee (Madson was one of my favorites, and frankly, as much of a problem as it was, Raul had become a fixture as well). How will Paps fit into the mixture? Dude is a stud for sure, this could be fun.
    For me, the playoffs are only a dream without Ryan Howard in the lineup..