Lidge to 97.3 ESPN FM: “My Heart is Still Here”

Lidge leaves for the Nats. (MLB)

Washington Nationals reliever Brad Lidge joined “The Sports Bash with Mike Gill” on 97.3 ESPN FM on Tuesday. Lidge was very candid about the Phillies not wanting him back and the team’s signing of Jonathan Papelbon over friend Ryan Madson.

“I came back to the Phillies and I said, ‘Let’s talk. My heart’s still here,” said Lidge. “It never left. Let’s see what we can do.’ Unfortunately, at that time, they had changed their mind and didn’t have a contract for me.”

Obviously, the Phillies went in another direction, going after guys like Chad Qualls and Dontrelle Willis. Lidge understood the changes. “Yeah, it’s disappointing. I’m not crying about it or nothing. I understand it’s all business and that’s part of it. But it was disappointing and unfortunate because, of course, I did want to come back to Philadelphia.”

Click to comment

1. Brooks

February 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It’s a sad story for sure. If anyone says they don’t have a soft spot in their heart for Lidge they are trying to fool themselves or perhaps they are not a true Phillies fan. We’ll miss him but it was time to do it, time to make the deal. Good luck Brad!

2. sean

February 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

thought his slider showed promise last year, velocity was down but who knows what he could have done. idk how much we were paying him if he was a burden but as sad as it is i guess the team has to move on right.

3. colleen

February 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm

<3 lidge<3 u'll always be a philly <3 😀

4. jonnyk44

February 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

He will forever be the face of the 2008 World Series Championship. I would have loved to see him setting up for Papelbon this year…best of luck to him.

5. Jaron B

February 8, 2012 at 3:16 am

I’d say that Carlton’s 27-win season was better because (1) it’s rare for a starter to win more than 22 games (Verlander won 24) and (2) the Phillies offense wasn’t reliable (at the beginning of that season). Still, Lidge’s 48 saves (100% success rate) is magical and is something I’ll never forget! I’ll never forget Kalas’ call and the pile of players when save 48 went down: “The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!!!”

• Brooks

February 8, 2012 at 5:01 am

Of course Lefty’s 27 win season stands out as one of the all time great feats. This was special – this was the icing on the cake of a great season. This was the nail on proverbial coffin that ensured a Phillies victory each and every time he came into the game in the 9th inning when the Phils were ahead. Without Lidge, 2008 more than likely would not have happened. Without Lefty’s incredible (words cannot describe how amazing this feat was) contribution, the Phils would still have finished last.

Both feats will be remembered by Phillies fans for generations. Both feats will be lore for baseball fans everywhere for all time.

• Lefty

February 8, 2012 at 7:03 am

You guys talking about my feet?

6. Chuck A.

February 8, 2012 at 8:05 am

Lefty, sounds like a foot fetish to me!

In all seriousness, good for Brad that he got a major league deal. It’s nice that when most players leave here that they leave their heart as well. Maybe there’s a role for Lidge with the Phillies after his pitching days are completely over…. you know, keeping the fans company on those winter cruises and stuff like that.

February 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Um, not to discredit Lidge or anything… but didn’t Valverde also have a perfect season last year?

49/49 in the regular season.
    3/3 in the postseason.

Point is: Lefty’s 27-win is rarer and a bigger feat.

8. Ian Riccaboni

February 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

More than anything, isn’t it such a contrast now that players are disappointed when they have to leave the Phillies rather than trying to force their way out (Rolen and Schilling) or avoiding Philadelphia to begin with (Drew).

9. Mckenzie

April 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wonderful issues altogether, you just gained a emblem new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made some days ago? Any sure?