Analysis

Hamels Solid as Phils Fall to Astros

Cole Hamels pitched five innings in his third grapefruit league start, striking out four and giving up just one run in the Phillies 6-5, 10 inning loss to the Houston Astros. He has looked sharp in each of those outings, posting a 1.69 ERA in 10 2/3 innings.

Domonic Brown hit his first home run of the spring in the 10th inning, a solo home run. Brown went 2-for-5 on the day. By all accounts, he has been a man possessed early on, focused on winning the left field job. He’ll need more performances like this one if he wants LF all by himself.

Freddy Galvis and Michael Martinez, who could be battling for an infielder spot (?), both had two hits.

Phillies play tomorrow against the Twins at 1:05. Phillies Nation will be down in Clearwater this week, so say hello if you see myself or Brian Michael.

Click to comment

1. Zach

March 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Do you really believe that Brown’s performance in the outfield today is indicative of everyday play (I am asking honestly, not sarcastically)? I could not see the game, but by the sounds of it he didn’t have anything close to a good day out there.

• EricL

March 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

David Hale’s column says that he had a couple of miscues in the field today, which is problematic, but his offense is fine and he’s yet to strike out. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Dom had the best batting eye on the team.

You know, I don’t get it. People get fed up with Polanco and decry that we need an upgrade at 3B, but the guy is INCREDIBLE with the glove. Best defensive 3B in the game. Yet that’s no good we need to upgrade to a guy who can hit. Ok, well, here you’ve got a guy in Brown who’s going to be a very good hitter, if not more, yet a huge portion of the fan base hates him because of his lack of defense.

But then if you look back over the last three years we’ve watched the Phils trot out a used up Ibanez who not only posted a horrific .245/.289/.419 slash line last year, but was the worst defensive LF in baseball, and he’s a fan favorite!

I just ask for a little consistency, is all. 🙁

• EricL

March 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Zach, I didn’t mean to reply to you….that’s more of just a general comment/observation than anything.

• George

March 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

It seems inconsistent to me, too, EricL. Even if Brown is never an elite fielder, at least his speed alone will allow him to be superior to Ibanez, and his batting eye is already better. There are a lot of left fielders who can’t play defense. Matt Holliday come to mind. But when was the last time his team’s fans complained about him?

• Zach

March 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

Hey, no offense taken. Raul was awful, I had no patience for his play last year. (Of course, when we deal with common fans, stories, personalities, etc. play a huge role in such things) Brown suffers from the same old curse of being declared a franchise carrier before stepping onto a major league field that has doomed the public perception of so many players. And by no means am I blasting Domonic, I merely meant to ask if a performance like Tuesday’s was one that people felt could secure him full control of Left Field, as opposed to a platoon.

2. bacardipr05

March 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm

The thing with Polly not only is he good with the glove he also good with the bat. Thats when he is healthy. I think he is also past his prime. He still can be excellent player if he can maintain his health. I think most people that complain about him are worried how long can he hold up.

• George

March 14, 2012 at 12:39 am

Some people are probably worried about his health, but there have been an awful lot of people who have clamored for his replacement (most wanted the fast aging, defensively lousy Aramis Ramirez) and there were many who didn’t want Polanco signed in the first place, so I’m not sure I completely agree with you on why fans complain. “Past his prime,” might be true, but he’s still one of the best, and can still win defensive awards even when he’s got hernias and a bad elbow. My own feeling is that people want power, and since Polanco doesn’t hit homers he’s no longer any good.

3. Pat Gallen

March 14, 2012 at 7:21 am

I didn’t see any of the game, this was more of just a general recap and I was clearly only talking about Brown’s offense. But yes, his defense will be his downfall, at least presently.

Beyond that, he’ll be able to get by if he can hit, so any offense from him is a plus.