2012 Spring Training

Luna Wins it vs Rays; Pierre Contract Picked Up

Juan Pierre is in.

Let’s start with the big news: Juan Pierre is on the 40-man roster, officially, according to the Phillies (thanks to the beats down in Clearwater).

Pierre being on the club does not preclude Scott Podsenik from being on the roster, as well. Phillies GM Benny Looper told us on 97.3 ESPN FM just minutes ago that both men could be on the team on opening day depending on certain injuries and if they will take 11 or 12 pitchers.

Lou Montanez and Tuffy Gosewich have been told they will not make the squad, according to Todd Zolecki of mlb.com.

Two guys are still in play: Hector Luna and Pete Orr. Luna finished off the Rays with a bases loaded, walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Phillies a 2-1 win. That’s after Luna played an entire minor league game. After the conclusion of that game, he made his way over to the main field and smacked a game-winner. Gotta love that.

Luna has impressed with some big hits during spring training, as well as the ability to play multiple positions. That could come in handy.

Pete Orr is also still on the radar. The guy is hanging on and has an outside shot as being the utility-man that the team currently lacks.

According to Mandy Housenick of the Allentown Morning-Call, Mike Stutes is not traveling north with Phillies. The reliever will stay in Florida to pitch in a minor league game if he’s able to. Ruben Amaro gave the media that news today after Stutes complained of some shoulder stiffness.

Keep an eye on the last few roster spots which will include Stutes, Luna, Orr, Joe Savery, David Herndon, and more.

Click to comment

1. TradeDomBrown

March 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Glad to see Pierre won’t be leaving the organization, I just hope Podsy gets what he’s deserved before he decides to bail out in June. Really interested in how the 25 man roster ends up.

March 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Lou Montanez not making the squad.. Does that mean he won’t get more at-bats this spring?

I now see Herndon and Luna making it… and Pods ultimately sent down while keeping Pierre.

3. Ian Riccaboni

March 29, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I’m thinking Stutes may start the year in Triple-A after reading this. Savery may be better for the bullpen, especially considering Bastardo’s uncertainty.

4. Chris

March 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I think Savery could be a better fit because he at least seems to be able to get both lefties and righties out. And if Charlie isn’t going to utilize LOOGYs properly then Savery is probably a better lefty to have around.

5. psujoe

March 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm

IF Mayberry, Galvis, Rolling, Polanco, Luna, Wiggington
    C Ruiz, Snyder
    OF Nix, Victorino, Pence, Pierre, Pods

SR Halladay, Lee, Hamels,Worley, Blanton
    RP Papplebon, Contreras, Kendrick, Qualls, Bastardo, Savory, Herndon

I must be missing somebody?

• Tyler Sablich

March 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Thome

• psujoe

March 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Thanks, I knew I dropped someone off. I was really hoping Pods was on the active roster, but this early you need 12 pitchers.

• Ian Riccaboni

March 29, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Laynce Nix will not be left off the initial 25 man roster, either.

6. TheDipsy

March 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Don’t be surprised to see a Pods/Pierre platoon in LF and Mayberry on first…………..

The Dipsy

7. Mazinman

March 29, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Thome played some nice defense today all things considered. He is definately giving it the effort of someone who expects to play first more than 1 game a week.

If somehow we could keep both Pods and Pierre on the team I would sleep better at night. Both have impressed me in their own way and I have had this fear that whoever we do not keep will come back to haunt us.

I think a 11 man pitching staff is the way to go starting off. Doc, Cliff, and Cole should keep our bullpen fresh. I think our offense could use the extra person more than our pitching.

8. Jeff Dowder

March 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Pierre, Podsednik, Nix…there’s a lot of redundancy there. I can’t see why they’d carry all three. I would like to see them pick up a righthanded bat for the outfield somehow.

9. bacardipr05

March 29, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I dont see them keeping both Piere and Pods. . Jeff you are right one of these guys will come back and haunt us. Isnt that always the case with any Philly teams…

10. Bob in Bucks

March 30, 2012 at 8:55 am

Too many LH on bench reverses last year issue. Thome Nix Pierre Pods….

11. Dave

March 30, 2012 at 10:48 am

Dipsy….I’m curious why you think we would have 2 left handers platooning? And I’m not being a smart *ss. Just wondering.