MLB Expands Playoffs From 8 to 10 Teams – Phillies Nation
Analysis

MLB Expands Playoffs From 8 to 10 Teams

Will we see more scenes like this with a 2nd Wild Card team? (AP)

Major League Baseball saw how the 2011 season ended and wanted to recreate that on a yearly basis. With that, an odd rule was put in place.

MLB has officially adopted a second Wild Card team in each league and the Wild Card teams will play a one-game playoff, which will take place on October 5. The NLDS will begin on October 6, but here is the new wrinkle. FOR THE 2012 SEASON ONLY, the winner of the Wild Card play-in game will be at home for the first two games of the NLDS.

That means, if the Phillies were to have the best record in the National League, they would play their first two games on the road, followed by three straight, if necessary, at home. This was done to alleviate travel concerns of the Wild Card team, and also, because the new Wild-Card rules were adopted so late.

It’s an odd move by Major League Baseball, but I think we’ve learned one thing: money rules all. They wanted to make money off of a one-game playoff by adding a Wild Card team as soon as possible. They’ve done that, but in the process may have screwed over the best teams in each league.

Sure, it’s only one year, but on the surface, it puts the team with the league’s best record at a disadvantage off the bat.

What do you think of the new rule?

For an in-depth look at what all the rules mean, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com has a brilliant breakdown.

1. Don M

March 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

*** ONE of the LDS-series will begin on October 6th… the matchup that doesn’t involve the Wild Care teams . . . the Wild Card winner will play the team with the Best Record (hopefully the Phillies) on Oct 7th…

March 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I like that it gives more importance to winning your division, rather than settling for a wild card spot. Now the WC is a complete crapshoot so you don’t wanna risk it, and go for winning the division.

For 2012, it sucks that the best team is “penalized” by starting two games on the road, but at the same time, the WC team will probably be tired/used up their best pitcher. Or they might have this huge energetic boost from making it to the playoffs, be super hot, and… 🙁

Anything could happen. Overall, I dislike more things about this rule than what I like… I hate the idea of a one-game playoff for two teams who might have very different records. A deserving team with 90+ wins might get knocked out of the playoffs for losing a game vs an 80-85 win team.

3. betasigmadeltashag

March 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I do not like expanded playoff at all I kknow it is about the money and too many wild card teams have gone deep into the playoffs so they are looking for a way to penalize them and make it harder, but having two home games to start a 5 game series is huge I hate it. If you to have five playoff teams from each division, they should have two divisions in each league and 3 wild card teams the wild card team with the best record sits out the one game playoff and then you set up the rest of the schedule like it is now. Seaon ends on a Sunday One game playoff on Tuesday Thursday you start the Division Series. This way the 3 best teams are rewarded and winning the division would be harder Only two of them, and the best record not to win still gets a slight edge.

4. Jobin

March 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Terrible all around. 162 games and then a one-game crapshoot? No thanks. And THEN the best team actually suffers? Terrible idea.

5. George

March 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm

The whole thing sucks.

March 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm

As an aside;
    Didn’t MLB just bend the rules of their own CBA to implement all of this? When the CBA was announced, the final date for a decision on this issue was March 1st. Today is March 2nd. They didn’t get it done so- what, they just arbitrarily changed the deadline?

Can’t all deadlines and agreements in this CBA now be changed? Can teams that lost FA’s prior to the CBA get the old type A compensation? Seems they can just change the rules any time they want now right? IMO-This is a terrible precedent. It will likely come back to bite MLB in a drug suspicion case, or a union grievance, or something. March 1st was the deadline.

7. chuck s

March 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm

As usual the greedie f——- owners and that puppet commish keep ruining the great game of baseball because of money.

8. Chuck A.

March 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

One word — Bogus.

• Delta

July 29, 2012 at 12:27 am

Corey- I’m still confused as to why we’re tlanikg about the Cardinals in regards to the Wild Card. The Phils have a big lead in the East on the Braves, Brewers lead the Cards, and the Dbacks lead the Giants. But the Braves have a far better record than the Cards, so why are they part of the equation?Also, the Giants cut ties with Miguel Tejada and Aaron Roward. My how the mighty have fallen. (PEDs?)

9. Andrew from Waldorf

March 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Compensation?

I am still waiting to hear what exactly Ricky Ricardo got in the negotiaions?

I am guessing the contract comes in and says I want 50 million a year?
    Ricky negotiates it down to $25,000,000.00 and thinks hes a winner.

Just a thought since I am watching the Godfather.

Seriously someone tell me what the Howard side of the deal gave back?
    He made them an offer they couldnt refuse I guess.

10. Scott

May 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE PHILS LDS EVENT IS

11. Omprakash

July 28, 2012 at 7:38 pm

we didn’t have Papi. We don’t have Clay or Dice. We don’t have Jed. We don’t have our full line up or pitching staff so at this time a game is just a game.I was wcnihatg last nights game with my 4 year old niece and I showed her the Philly Fanatic. She asked me what it was. I told her it’s their mascot like Wally is our mascot and my brilliant niece says to me I know but what is it ? I rest my case.:)