2012 Game Recaps

Phils Outlast Rain, Marlins

In a rain soaked game that featured a rain delay and some thoughts of a possible postponement, the Phillies defeated the Marlins 6-4 after they really got to Marlins starter Mark Buehrle. Even with the rain pouring down all night, the Phillies offense was able to put up six runs and scattered fourteen hits.

Kyle Kendrick got himself in and out of trouble all night. He allowed a leadoff hit to Jose Reyes, who was thrown out at second on the play. Then he allowed a single to Omar Infante and a double to Giancarlo Stanton that scored Infante. After a shutdown 2nd inning, he got himself in to a bases loaded, one-out jam, but he induced a a double play by Logan Morrison to get out of it. He loaded the bases again in the 4th only to benefit by a line-out by Infante with two outs.

Placido Polanco went 3-3  on Mark Buehrle with two singles and a double. Carlos Ruiz also went 3-3 with two singles and a double. Hunter Pence was 2-3 with a home run. Altogether, the Phillies collected ten hits. Earlier in the season, they collected eight hits and three runs over 6.1 innings off Buehrle. He came in with a 1.12 WHIP against the Phils, and in tonight’s game, he allowed 11 hits in 5.0 innings (or a 2.20 WHIP for you math experts).

In what seems to be the norm for these Phillies, they got off to a hot start. In the first inning, the Phils got three straight hits by Placido Polanco, Hunter Pence, and Carlos Ruiz after a leadoff groundout by Jimmy Rollins. With the bases loaded, Ty Wigginton popped out, but was picked up by Hector Luna who singled to left to give the Phillies two early runs. Then in the 2nd, they collected two more hits by Rollins and Polanco, but no runs to show for it.

Starter Kyle Kendrick gave up two runs over 5.1 innings. The Phils looked to be comfortably ahead until Antonio Bastardo gave up back-to-back home runs to Logan Morrison and Justin Ruggiano. Then Jake Diekmann loaded the bases with one out after Antonio Bastardo walked a batter. Thankfully, Jonathan Papelbon came into the game in probably his highest leverage situation of the year and induced a pop-up and then a strikeout of Hanley Ramirez to shut down the rally. He came back out to pitch a scoreless ninth for this first five-out save of the year.

There was a 48-minute rain delay after the 4th inning.

Jose Reyes got on base four times Friday night. He’s one of those players that is fun to watch regardless of his antics.

Jose Contreras injured himself pitching in the seventh. The official word is “right arm soreness”, but I think we all know it’s probably something more.

In other baseball news, Johan Santana threw the first no-hitter in Mets history tonight against the Cardinals.

Hector Luna collected 3 RBI in just his 29th career appearance in LF.

The Phils moved within 2.5 games of first place with the win.

The Phillies will take on the Marlins again tomorrow at 4:05, with Cole Hamels (8-1, 2.43 ERA) and Ricky Nolasco (5-3, 4.26 ERA) taking the mound.

Click to comment

1. Brooks

June 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Long game but it was a win

• Ryne Duren

June 1, 2012 at 11:39 pm

yea brooks woeth the wait! paps earning his keep. the divisions getting kinda tight. man if we had our horses i’m beging to think they could take it. every team has issues. but i think the phils are being tested right now. so they’re doing ok. but you wouldn’t think so how i complain sometimes. but that’s me i tend to get raggy when they lose.

• Ryne Duren

June 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

be nice if i could hit the right keys brooks. i’m typing in the dark. i can’t see with the stinkin lights on. ya think i’d learn?

June 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

And the leading BA in the Major Leagues belongs to CHOOCH! , but Melky is also having a good night, could change by morning.

3. EricL

June 2, 2012 at 12:20 am

Jose Contreras’ elbow explodes on the mound and he goes falling off with his arm hanging down limp. At this point, Tom McCarthy says, “I wonder if Jose Contreras okay?”

I can almost hear Wheels’ eyes roll as he says in a very flat affect, “No, he’s not okay.”

• Chuck A.

June 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

Yeah, I caught that, too. T-Mac is the absolute worst! And on PostGame Live afterwards Ben Davis pointed out that Contreras actually felt something on the pitch BEFORE the one where he fell off the mound. Watching the replay it was obvious. He should have stopped himself there.

• Jeff Dowder

June 2, 2012 at 12:52 am

There’s a good chance that was the last pitch of his career.

4. David

June 2, 2012 at 12:59 am

Contreras had some great stuff against the Mets this week. You can’t overlook the importance of his role in the bullpen.

5. DCmikey

June 2, 2012 at 1:15 am

Question…hopefully some of my favs will be to answer these….pat, Dipsy, lefty, the nice jeff, and a few others I am forgetting…anyways, yes old man Jose is done. He’s been done, but it’s the ‘bc we are paying him 2.5 mil we have to pitch him,’ ala Danny Baez.

Ok, lots of updates, but I have not heard poo on Stutesys’ injury?! We really need his 2011. Hoping he is not a one year gem.

And when Mini mart is healthy, there’s no way that he makes the 25, right??!!! Fontenot over him, heck, even Luna.

Also, update on the (un)reliable Herndon?!

Thome….when you come back, your 2-19 slumps ain’t gonna cut it. No disrespect to a HOF’er, but he has to hit.

Get #9 CH!!!! What a huge series win this would be!!!! And shut it everyone who believes in Mitch Williams- there’s just no way Amaro allows CH to walk??!!!! I’d try and trade Lee before I allowed our homegrown man to walk.

• EricL

June 2, 2012 at 1:26 am

No, Mike. In Contreras’ first few outings after he came back he was a little shaky, but he’s been really damn good since then. Since his blowup in the Atlanta game on May 2, he’s posted a 1.82 ERA in 9 & 2/3 innings, striking out 10 and walking none. During that span opposing hitters had a slash line of .206/.222/.324

Also, you’re right, MiniMart is going to Lehigh Valley if anyone in the Phillies organization has any sense at all.

Thome started his rehab game today and was 1-3 with a walk and a strikeout. He’ll be fine; he just needs to get some ABs.

• Lefty

June 2, 2012 at 7:33 am

For your injury questions, this is one of the links I use to keep updates on them in my fantasy league. Scroll down to see the Phillies. The updates are provided by the Phils, so sometimes you can trust them, sometimes- not so much. Other useful places that I like, to keep up with the current status of injuries is CBS Sports fantasy and Yahoo too.

And most of us feel the same way you do about Mini Mart, I just have this feeling they are committed to him, and will bring him back anyway. Hope I’m wrong. I think Thome is here because his old pal Charlie felt he owed him a favor, he really should be playing for an AL team. And don’t get too excited about Mitchee-Poo, he’s just spouting off an opinion, he has no more insight than you or me as to what’s going to happen with Cole.

6. bacardipr05

June 2, 2012 at 1:51 am

The bullpen situation isnt looking pretty. I suspect Rube will have to pick someone up possibly. That means more dumpster diving for other teams cuts. Or call up another minor league player. I dont have word on Stutes maybe someone one else has the info. Schwimer has been ineffective. Wouldnt be surprised if Horst gets called up.

• EricL

June 2, 2012 at 2:09 am

Won’t be Horst because he’s a southpaw. They need a right hander with having used Papelbon for two innings tonight and with Contreras down, that leaves only Qualls (who also pitched tonight.)

7. Chuck A.

June 2, 2012 at 6:15 am

Please, God, no Michael Schwimer!

8. Brooks

June 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

I love my bud who I went with last night but, after the bottom of the 7th they was ready to go (I was somewhat surprised).

Contreras was looking so much better, and you know its a substantial injury. I heard Worley is due back on Monday?

This injury parade just isn’t letting up is it?

9. Chuck A.

June 2, 2012 at 6:42 am

Yeah, Brooks, it’s substantial. To the degree where it certainly looked bad enough to think that the old guy might just be done. Shame. He’s had a good career and was really looking like he was coming back strong from the off-season surgery. Oh these injuries!!

June 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

That was a funny reaction by T-Mac, I’d have like to hear what he would have said during some of sports most gruesome injuries. Joe Theismann, Jorge Garbajosa, Baron Davis etc.

11. DCmikey

June 2, 2012 at 8:08 am

@lefty, @ericL…thank you guys!!!!!

I’m like, excited!!!! But yet so apprehensive.

I mean, come on PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!….PN, give this team a Ton of credit so far- look at some of the lineups we’ve had out there and we are 2.5 out of first!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!! I’m going to the game today- drove from dc last night, but was certain it was going to be rained out, not today- 77 and sunny……go Cole!!!

• Lefty

June 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

What part of DC do you live in Mikey? There are many on this board from that area. I’m from Baltimore. My dad was from south Jersey though and brought us up as Phillies fans.

12. TheDipsy

June 2, 2012 at 9:18 am

I give the Phils credit for having the gumption and the moxie to really play hard when they are just getting clusterf!cked left and right. One might expect nothing less because they are professionals but I just felt like saying it. And Charlie, while out of his element, seems to be keeping everything on an even keel. Not the greatest season in the world but, given the circumstances, I’ll take it.

The Dipsy

13. Keystone

June 2, 2012 at 10:07 am

Went to the game last night, nothing like walking back to the subway in a torrential downpour.
    Offense has been picking it up lately. The Phil’s have the fewest strikeouts in the NL, the 3rd best BA, and 5th most runs scored.
    Can’t believe they rank higher in offense then pitching!
    Team ERA is 7th in the NL thanks to giving up the most HR in the league!
    Phil’s pitching has the best K/BB in the league and the 2nd best WHIP. If they can keep the ball in the park this offense is good enough to win the division.

14. Ian Riccaboni

June 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

Great stats, Keystone. Great win last night.

With the Big Truck out, I hope Schwimer gets another shot. The wheels have come his season a little bit but I think he has the tools to be successful.

If a starter is needed, Tyler Cloyd, 2.43 ERA, 33 K in 42 IP at Lehigh Valley is a great place to look. Bush and Elarton are having good seasons, too. It sounds like Worley may be getting ready for Halladay’s turn in the rotation.

• EricL

June 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I think the first SP called up would be Bush, if only because he has an out-clause in his contract if he’s not called up by a certain date.

15. Ian Riccaboni

June 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

And by the way, Chooch is hitting .381. WOW.

June 2, 2012 at 10:35 am

Can anyone remember the last time a Phillie has led the entire Major Leagues in batting average at any point during a season? I’m thinking way back to Richie Ashburn maybe?

June 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

Wes Covington back in the early 1960’s had a streak of great hitting in June, leading the National League for a while. Then he got injured.

18. LCMRSalazar85

June 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

Has Hector Luna started any games yet?

19. Ian Riccaboni

June 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

@LCMR – He started last night in left and has started a few other games.

20. bacardipr05

June 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Looks like it will be Schwimer..

• EricL

June 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Can’t wait to see him point to the sky like it’s some kind of infield pop-up as the ball sails into the 2nd deck.

• Chuck A.

June 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I can’t stand this guy……. on many levels.

21. DCmikey