Offense Explodes in Victory Over Reds – Phillies Nation
2012 Game Recaps

Offense Explodes in Victory Over Reds

The offense came to life en route to a 12-5 Phillies victory over the Cincinnati Reds.  The offensive outburst led to an early exit for starter Mike Leake, as the Phillies finished the night with 15 hits.

The score went back and fourth like a see-saw for a few innings until the Phillies broke the game wide open.

HALLADAY GETS THE W

-Roy Halladay finished the night after seven innings.  He surrendered five earned runs on ten hits and a walk.  He struck out three.

-It wasn’t  his best performance, but he was able to add to the win column.  Halladay’s record is now .500 (7-7) for the season.

HOWARD AND MAYBERRY’S BIG NIGHT

-The Reds took an early 2-0 lead, but Ryan Howard practically tied the game  himself.  He hit a RBI single in the first inning and a solo home run in the third to even the score.  Eric Kratz homered an inning later to give the Phillies a 3-2 lead.  Howard finished the evening 2-for-4 with 2 RBI; Kratz went 2-for-2 with a sacrifice fly and 2 RBI.

-The Reds answered Howard and Kratz by scoring three runs in the fifth.  It wouldn’t take long for the Phillies to re-gain the lead.  Chase Utley doubled to bring home a run, and John Mayberry Jr. followed with a single to tie the game at five.  Domonic Brown came up clutch with a double to deep right field, giving the Phillies a 7-5 lead.

-The Phillies didn’t stop pounding on runs. Mayberry clubbed a two-run home run to put the Phillies up 10-5.  Mayberry finished 3-for-5 with 3 RBI.

-Juan Pierre silently had a great night.  He’ll be overshadowed by Howard and Mayberry in the highlights, but Pierre went 3-for-4 with a RBI and three runs scored.

GAME NOTES

-Placido Polanco returned to the lineup for the first time since July 22.  Polanco, who suffered from an ailing back, finished the night 2-for-4

-B.J. Rosenberg, Antonio Bastardo, and Josh Lindblom combined for two scoreless innings out of the bullpen.

-Depending on the outcome of the Colorado-Mets game, the Phillies could find themselves tied for third place.

-Jeremy Horst was placed on paternity leave.  Phillippe Aumont was re-called.

Click to comment

1. Jaron B

August 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm

ORIGINAL: “Placido Polanco returned to the lineup for the first time since July 22. Polanco, who suffered from an ailing back, finished the night 2-for-4”

REVISED: “Placido Polanco went 2-for4 in his return to the lineup after a month on the shelf with back problems.”

Otherwise good post.

August 20, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Not much talk of it, but Dom Brown is as good a fielder as Pence, ( i realize that’s not saying much, but he has improved) and his arm is way better than Hunter. That throw to third was a bullet, and the one to home when they held the runner would have nailed him.

3. JohnMatrix

August 20, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Dead on lefty. Its been awhile since the phils had an outfielder who could throw guys out.

August 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Tied for third place in the east now. 10.5 games back of a Wild Card spot on August 20th with 40 games left. That doesn’t seem realistically achievable, but stranger things have happened. If we sweep the Reds and the Nats sweep the Braves?????? The Giants will fall without their best hitter, the Pirates collapse every year. The Cardinals, the Diamondbacks, Nah, it’s just the liquor typing. Good night all.

5. Devin

August 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Phellas, this is the only place I come for my game reports. You guys do a great job with them, and when I miss a game (I have to often: I live in LA) I feel like I get all of the info I need here.

I have a request though. I’d love to see a section on Brown’s performance in all of the game reports. I have been following Dom Brown’s career since he was in the minors (over at the EXCELLENT phuturephillies.com) and, frankly, I believe that the future of this team over the next 10 years depends almost entirely on how Brown pans out.

Every game I wonder about things that I can’t learn from the box score.
    Does he look comfortable at the plate?
    Was his walk a good walk?
    Was his K ugly?
    Were his other 2 outs on hard-hit balls?
    Did he look good in the field today?
    Was his Outfield Assist a no-brainer, or a cannonball?

I’d love to see a Brown section in every game report, especially considering he’s the only “prospect” on the team. Considering that the season is all but over at this point, Dom Brown’s progress, Cole Hamels’ stretch run, and Chase and Howard health status are pretty much the only interesting stories left (no insult meant to Kratz, who is too old for this Cinderella half-season to matter, and Frandsen, who the organization must simply not like because right now he should be starting over Polly).

• Ryne Duren

August 20, 2012 at 11:52 pm

all right Devin. picture this. he looked real comfortable at the plate! charlie allowed him to take his phillie fanatic piloow with him to the plate.
      when he walks he looks good! no really honest. he walks to first real good i’m always impressed with how good he looks!
      and his other 2 outs? well i almost cried watching it! i can’t talk about it!
      and you ask if he looked good in the field today. actually he looked better today cause he was wearing the red pinstripes as opposed to the grey away uni. but enen so i think he looked mighty dapper out there! i was almost as impressed as watching him walk.
      and to address your question on his assist? well today he didn’t have one but he made two very impressice no brainer cannonballs! we’ll keep you posted.

• Devin

August 21, 2012 at 12:27 am

Thanks for the polite and informative answer.

Fun story: he did have an outfield assist according to the game box score on 2 different sites (ESPN, CBS). Sarcastic and wrong, winning combination.

• Ryne Duren

August 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i’m sorry devin. i wasn’t trying to be sarcastic! just funny. i was giddy from an easy win. we don’t get many these days pal.

• Devin

August 22, 2012 at 3:04 am

Well then I apologize for the reply. Hard to read tone on the internet, probably wasn’t right of me to assume the worst.

6. Morris Buttermaker

August 21, 2012 at 12:06 am

3rd place, hell yea!

7. Brooks

August 21, 2012 at 8:11 am

Devin, just watch.. don’t get your hopes up just watch.
    No need to bale on hope either just watch. Whatever he has shown in the minors for the most part he left there. He is batting a ML career high .268 for himself now with only 71 official atbats behind him. Just watch. Thing is there are always plenty of opportunities with the big squad to make something happen – this could be his year??

• Devin

August 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I would love to watch, I really would. But like I said, I live in LA now and I can’t afford any sort of special cable package that would get me Phils games.

• Lefty

August 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I have no idea what your budget is, but maybe this will help. If you call your provider, they will probably give it to you for about 49.99 for the last 40 games (depends on the provider, Cable Direct TV, etc. ) That’s less than one dollar a game, or what 2 half decent tickets to one game at CBP would cost.

8. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

I love Brown’s strong arm to the bases and home also, but most of all I’m loving his patience at the plate! The coaches in our minor league affiliates are doing a great job of helping these guys with the little stuff that is so important. Just look at Kratz and how he has improved since workin on things down in the minors. Go Phils!