2012 Game Recaps

Cloyd Fans Nine as Phillies Beat Reds

Cloyd had everything working in Cincy. (AP)

The Tyler Cloyd Project is going smoothly thus far. Cloyd fanned nine Cincinnati Reds as the Phillies won the first game of the series, 4-2.

Jimmy Rollins was the difference as he launched a three-run homer in the fifth inning, his 17th, off Johnny Cueto. John Mayberry Jr. added a solo shot in the sixth inning off the NL Cy Young candidate.

Cloyd isn’t quite on Cueto’s level yet, but certainly outpitched him at Great American Ballpark on Labor Day. While the grills were burning, Cloyd was churning out strikeouts on the mound. The nine he posted is a season high for Cloyd, coming against a World Series contender in the NL.

So far, he’s been as advertised after going 15-1 in the minor leagues this season. As the Phillies make a late run at a wild card berth, they’re also holding tryouts for 2013. Cloyd is surely penciling his name in early for a chance at a rotation spot.

Phillippe Aumont recorded his first ever Major League save, but did give up two hits and a run in the ninth inning.

Click to comment

1. DCmikey

September 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Keep it up Cloyd!! KK pitching great as of late too! I have been happy thus far w our midseason ‘dumps.’

No offense, but Blanton needed to go. And I’m glad the Phils finally called up Tyler.

Good news/bad news…the Reading Phils (AA) clinched a playoff berth today- so “babeRUF” will not be called up until after their season. We NEED to get a look at him!! However, JMJ, 5game hitting streak to go along w a good arm and 14hrs (just wish he was an everyday guy).

DBrown is proving to be injury prone. However I don’t mind the Brown/JMJ platoon for next season. Try out RUF in LF. Schienezolt (sp?) is not our answer.

We need 1 man to step up in the BP. We trusted MadDog madson, but do we fully trust Pap yet?

My last note, we called up Pete Orr, I’ll take him over MiniMart every single day, who cares if he doesn’t play OF every day. Braves should be fined for intentionally walking MiniMart the other day.

Any comments on my comments??? Love PN!!!

• Ryne Duren

September 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

i’m with ya dc.

• Ken Bland

September 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm

“Schienezolt (sp?) is not our answer.”

I love the way Ryne Duren says he’s with you, suggesting he knew who you meant. I generally go with Nate. That’s harder to screw up.

I’m not a big fan of Chineholdz or Nix.

2. Ian Riccaboni

September 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Love that both Aumont and De Fratus got some run today. The Phillies can really tighten some purse strings and get some high quality, high ceiling players out there in the ‘pen this year and next without sacrificing a lot.

With ya on the IBB, DC. Damnedest thing I’ve seen in a while.

September 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Mayberry hits another shot against a right hander. He’s either starting to see them better, or getting lucky. I don’t know which.

Glad for no Cinco-ocho today, give my nerves some rest.

• Ken Bland

September 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm

“Glad for no Cinco-Ocho today, give my nerves some rest.”

That cracked me up. Earlier, some of us couldn’t find enough bad things to say about Cinco, but that wasn’t to suggest there were other Rocks of Gibralter in penland.

All I know is Aumont got the save. Hallelujah!

4. psujoe

September 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Would love to see cloyd keep it up and have a shot at the rotation next year. $$$ goes for Setup man, CF and 3b.

5. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I here ya, Lefty. My liver can onl take so much bourbon. The way this season has been, I’ll be exchanging it for a pool filter soon. Lol.

6. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 3, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I meant “only” instead of “onl”. My typing abilities are the equivalent of Mini-Mart’s ability to hit .169. Plus, that Rollins fellow is creeping close to my hit total, once he gets 2,000. That means he’ll join Schmidt,Whitey, and myself.

7. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 3, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Schmidt, M 3B games: 2404 AB: 8352 Hits: 2234
    Ashburn, R CF games: 1794 AB: 7122 Hits: 2217
    Delahanty, E LF games:1555 AB: 6359
    Hits: 2213 (with Phillie) life-time: 2,596

I would have had more, if it wasn’t for those damn Niagra Falls.

• Lefty

September 4, 2012 at 6:48 am

I’m sure you got at least one more “hit” – at the bottom of those cascades.

8. bacardipr

September 4, 2012 at 12:32 am

Ian i still think Aumount is to wild. He did throw a few beautiful off speed pitches. I didnt watch his other performances. It didnt seem he was getting too many swing and misses. If he can touch up his control and up his swing and/or miss ratio a tad then i can see him as a viable reliever. I still think the Phils need to bring in a proven 8th inning guy. If not for at least a year until they can sort out who’s MLB material and whos AAAA a guy.

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty