2012 Gameday

Gameday: Nationals (93-60) vs. Phillies (77-76)

Washington Nationals (93-60) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (77-76)

Ross Detwiler (10-6, 3.10) vs. Cole Hamels (15-6, 3.05)

Time: 7:05 PM, Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 65
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Just nine games remain for the Phillies before they head home for what will surely be a long winter. They’ll finish out their home schedule with three games against the Washington Nationals, who can clinch a division title this week. Their magic number is five.

As for the Phillies, Roy Halladay will likely make a start on Saturday, according to pitching coach Rich Dubee. Doc will throw a bullpen session tomorrow and if it goes off without a hitch, he’ll make that final start of the season. Whether or not that’s the way to go is for another time.

Still no word yet on if or when Chase Utley will get a start at third base. Everyone seems pretty serious about this happening, so keep an eye out for it. Charlie Manuel said it’s completely up to him on whether or not he feels comfortable enough to take the hot corner, something he hasn’t done since his days in the minor leagues.

Your Gameday BeerDogfish Head Punkin’ Ale

Cant say it’s my favorite pumpkin beer in the world, but you could do worse. Beer Advocate rates it an 88, which is quite high. It’s a little too spicy for my liking, but many friends of mine swear by it. Truly, it gives me heartburn and I can’t drink more than one. But if pumpkin and spice are your thing, this is for you. – Pat Gallen

Click to comment

September 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Way to go Ruf, unbelievable.

2. Ken Bland

September 25, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Judging by the volumous follow up to te lefthander (ever heard of a righthander named “Lefty”?), Nation readers appear to not have seen Ruf’s smackeroo, so I can prolly get away with this.

In tomorrow’s paper, in fact, I’ll make a prediction, in tonight’s Nation post game wrap, Ruf’s homer will be mentioned. And they will tell you it came off Ross Detwiler.

Do you believe everything you read? The homer actually came off this guy, making for 1 of the great homerun follows to a pitcher’s pitch for reporting purposes.

• Lefty

September 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I am indeed a true southpaw. We like to think we have an advantage over all you right handed folks. Have you ever read that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa? That makes us left-handers the only ones in our right mind.

Rough and Ready. I always thought I’d make it to the Majors when I was a kid, and dreamed my first major league hit would be a home run. I’m living vicariously through Mr. Ruf tonight.

3. Ken Bland

September 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Don’t look now, but the Tigers are about 3 innings from tying the White Sox for 1st place. Could it be, might it be Kevin Youkillus 2nd consecutive September debacle? teamwise, at least.

4. Brooks

September 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

A lot of pitches for Cole tonight and he cannot seem to get out of this inning.

5. Brooks

September 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm

That was totally expected of Junior.

6. Morris Buttermaker

September 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Ken, it’s been years that I have just sat back, relaxed and watch the pennant races without any concern of how they affect the Phillies.

7. Brooks

September 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm

We’re going to see the $50 million dollar man!

8. Brooks

September 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Where’s racey tracey? Get ready to sing gal

September 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I love beating the Nats, they’re my new Mets since I live in the Balt /Wash area.

Prediction, the Nats are going into the playoffs cold. They’ll get knocked out pretty early.

• brooks

September 26, 2012 at 5:36 am

Mostly due to lack of interest, I don’t know the fate of the golden arm, has he been shut down for the year or will he be reactivated for the post season?

• Lefty

September 26, 2012 at 6:17 am

Everything I’ve read says he’s finished for this season. The only question left- is do you believe everything that you read?

10. Ken Bland

September 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Bullpen woes? Not tonight, sports fans. Paps yields the only basehit in 4 innings by Phillie pensters.

When we talk about the starter’s (most notably, Cliff) that had the pen give it up, they won’t be talking about tonight.

I guess striving to finish over .500 isn’t so bad. Heaven forbid the way June went be the theme the last part of the year.

11. pamikedc