2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (73-73) at Astros (47-99)

Philadelphia Phillies (73-73) at Houston Astros (47-99)

Roy Halladay (10-7, 4.01) vs. Jordan Lyles (4-11, 5.33)

Time: 2:05 p.m at Minute Maid Park
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies can’t afford to lose this one.  This series has been fairly disappointing for the Phillies, as they had a chance to gain ground in the Wild Card.  Luckily, the Cardinals lost yesterday so the Phillies remain three games out of the Wild Card.  The Astros have a history of beating up on the Phillies during a crucial part of the season, and they’ve done so thus far.  The Phillies need to give the Astros their 100th loss, and split the series.

The Phillies will be facing another pitcher with a terrible season ERA (Jordan Lyles), however that seems to be who they struggle against the most.

Your gameday beer: Today, grab a RedHook Blonde Ale. It’s citrusy but not too much, and it goes down pretty smooth. To eat, have some pasta tossed in olive oil and mushrooms, topped by formaggio. — By Tim

Click to comment

1. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Well, we’re already better off than we were last night. We’ve scored a run.

2. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

WOW!!! Amazing catch!

3. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Aw crap. Astros take the lead. We can’t let this lousy team take the series from us. We need to give them their 100th loss.

4. Cs

September 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Come on score!

5. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

YES!!! We’re not dead yet!!!

6. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That’s what you get for taking Ryan Howard for granted.

7. Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Dom Brown grounds out to third, making the question of how you enjoyed a hat trick of strikeouts to add to the lead irrelavant.

Good grief.

8. Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm

All I can say about Doc is Wheeler said this week that there are those that think he needs a full off season to get back to being himself. Man, I hope that’s the case. If or when it’s time for him to not be a tremendous pitcher anymore, so be it, but if there is greatness left, this is tough to watch.

9. Morris Buttermaker

September 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Based on this series alone, I think there is a good chance the Astros pitchers will cancel out each other’s Cy Young votes.

September 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Ugh- Bad luck for Utley

11. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Eep! Well, that would have been a double or triple if not for Mini Mart’s good capture

12. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ruh roh…

13. Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm

You can just feel what’s coming, can’t ya?

14. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

aw crap

15. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

crap crap crap crap crap

16. Devin

September 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Where’s ChuckA? He needs to come on out and admit that he doesn’t understand football, statistics, and probability.

17. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

@Ken: Yeah, as soon as Bastardo put a runner on base, I knew this was going to collapse.

• Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

It’s one thing for us to feel it watching, but ya can’t help but feel like the players feel it on the field, and that’s a step toward the beginning of the end. It’s just been an unbelievable weekend.

18. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Not understanding Cholly leaving Aumont in with the bases loaded to face a guy hitting .444 in that situation. Also notin how F@(king important a win against this $hitty team is. Man, I’m annoyed.

• Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Aumont has done pretty well in the 8th, but don’t put the kid in there with 2 of Bastardo’s mistakes on base.

• Ryne Duren

September 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

i don’t expect anything from cholly!

• DavidE

September 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Two bad calls hurt us that innng. Altuve’s ball was hit foul and the third base ump got it wrong.
        Then the 1st pitch to Laird was a strike.

I don’t agree on Aumont. A cheap bloop hit by Maxwell and a high chop from Dominguez. Not bad pitches.

• Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Who would you have brought in? Or are you just pissed?

No way he’d bring Paps in during the 7th…which isn’t to say maybe he should have.

• Ryne Duren

September 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm

big guy i had a bad feeling about this series! i was hoping and praying i was wrong. it’s amazing that’s all i can say

19. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Chooch is not even trying to conceal his disgust.

20. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Somebody in the crowd is waving a Phillies rally towel upside down. Yeah, that pretty much sums this up.

• Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

(wonder if they’re doing that intentionally, as a sign of distress, or if they just don’t know)

September 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

C’mon Phightins! 56 year old men look ridiculous with rally hats on. Crooked numbers please.

22. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Ken, right know I do not know. I’m so angry and disgusted. I gotta cool down and answer that with a clear head. Can’t do it now though. Sorry,
    Big Ed.

23. Morris Buttermaker

September 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Last year they went into cruise control after clinching the division, this year, it was after getting within 3 games of the Wild Card. I just don’t get how this team can be so complacent at times.

24. Morris Buttermaker

September 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Think I am going to wait a few days before mailing in the $641 bucks for playoff tickets.

• Brooks

September 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hahah – me too Morris!

25. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm

WOO HOO!!! It’s not over yet!!!

September 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The cap is working!

• Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Seeing as the way that inning ended, one can only assume you meant protecting a bald head.

Caps tend to be good at that.

27. Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Good time to mention that Nix has a gorgeous wife. Can’t say something good about a guy, then shut up.

Only good I can say.

28. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

1-2-3… now if the top of the order can just show up…

29. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm

30. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:19 pm

WHEW! But can we get Jimmy home and tie it up?

31. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Yuck. Worst thing Utley could have done.

32. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

(well, could have been worse; could have GIDP)

33. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Cmon Chooch.

34. Tracey

September 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Ugh. This was a disgraceful series.

35. Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

That about says it all. They walk RyHo to face Chooch, putting the lead run on base, and Chooch can’t do it all the time.

That about says it all about the weekend.

Just plain sad.

36. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Before I let out a barbaric yelp and frighten my neighbors… I would have brought in Horst to relieve Aumont when the bases were loaded. What a downright disappointing series. Glad the Asteos are moving to that “other league.” utterly disgustipated. Yep, I made it up just to describe my emotions for this series.

• Ken Bland

September 16, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, I don’t know what the deal is with him not pitching too much of late, but that’s a good call. But I also think DavidE raised a good point about Aumont not throwing badly. I wonder how far he is from conveying confidence in his contol. I guess like many relievers, a ways, but like the whole series, they lost the games in numerous ways.

If I’m Houston, I’m on with the Commish in the morning asking for a transfer to the NL East. That AL West, which usually looks weak is suddenly a pretty strong looking division. Kinda typifies Houston’s overall luck, although their lousiness has a lot to do with the way the club’s been run.

37. Cs

September 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Terrible all around.

September 16, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Losing three of four to the absolute worst team in baseball is pathetic. The rest of the Phillies year will be a STINKATHON. Put the rookies in , rest Howard and let the sh!t hit the wall.

39. SavannahPhilliesPhan

September 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I watched it without sound on Gameday, I couldn’t stand listening to the announcers telling me in detail what I didn’t want to hear!!!! Does that make sense to anyone? I thought if they get ahead I’ll watch and listen on MLB. How can it be that our Aces can’t beat these young pitchers out of double A and our team can’t hit a Gd thing?!!!!

40. Andrew from Waldorf

September 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm

And thus ends the competetive part of the season.
    At least we got a little cheap thrill.

Even a team as pathetic as the Astros showed how easy the Phillies line up is negotiable.

Its why against good teams in the playoffs theres little to no chance.

Still want to see more new faces in 2013.

The turn around came because Ruben Minaya was forced to move some his high priced sacred cows. Even if I liked Shane and Hunter and they contributed. Their not being here was the catalyst. Now lets make some more of these guys disappear in the off season. I mean when they are intentionaly walking your 2 and 3 hitters to get to your clean up man its an issue.

Ruben has proven to be a hoarder. But maybe this will show him that new young blood provides a jolt. Even if you and the average fan sees them as “lesser” talent.

41. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Earlier in the season I expressed my disgust with Greg Gross, and while he is no where near the only one to blame for inept hitting against crappy pitchers throwing junk, he is responsible for helping hitters adjust and the such. Just wanted to clarify in my earlier post, now that I’m almost fully relaxed from purging my frustrations, that I wasn’t harping on Aumont. He has done very well. It didn’t help that “El Bastard” left him with an welcoming and daunting mess, it is just that Cholly was on the steps and I truly thought after they were loaded he was going to bring in someone else, like Horst (my choice), considering the magnitude of the winning this game. So now we have the daunting task of beating some tough teams, and I’ll lump the Mutts in there because of how they’ve played against us this year. However, knowing this team is bizarro first class, they’ll probably win almost all of them, and the lose the second spot by a half game, which would be the epitome of this season. Going to meet my friend Maker’s Mark.

42. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 16, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I apologize for my numerous typos that make me look grammatically inept.

43. SavannahPhilliesPhan

September 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I enjoyed seeing some new faces playing. I wish he would have allowed them to play more frequently. I can’t remember the last time Chase Utley or Ryan Howard took a day off!! Would it hurt to try some of these young guys? Especially this weekend since it seemed our regular players couldn’t hit anything!

44. Brooks

September 17, 2012 at 12:47 am

I think most of us agree with you in full – this has been atrocious to be a part of sometimes – like today and yesterday..
    So, is the team just not responding or are they really not that good anymore. The same behemoth that rocked the league with 140 rbi seasons and always a threat to go deep is relatively quiet when we need him most. Sure, he’s not alone to blame offensively, but he has the potential to carry the most of the load himself and a number of us here have witnesseed that first hand.
    I have stuck by the old faithful (Utley, Rollins and of course Howard) for quite sometime now and don’t want to give it up.

• schmenkman

September 17, 2012 at 7:38 am

Howard has certainly struggled, but one thing he’s done is drive in runs. 46 in 61 games and 253 plate appearances (works out to 122 per 162 games). And that’s because he’s hitting .344/.463/.623 (1.085 OPS) with RISP.

He also has 36 RBI in his last 37 games.

The problem that you allude to is that when there aren’t men in scoring position (which is most of the time), he’s hitting .185/.237/.333 (.570 OPS).