Phillies Notes: Ross, Herndon, Madson – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Phillies Notes: Ross, Herndon, Madson

Could Madson return to Philly? (PHOTO: NJ.com)

Cody Ross is expected to ask for a three-year, $25 million deal as he becomes a free agent. The Phillies are thought to be interested in the 31-year-old corner outfielder, who hit 22 home runs with the Red Sox, but splits much better against lefties than righties. I’ve been a big proponent of Ross to the Phillies, as he would provide some much needed middle of the order power. I’ll be talking more about Ross at-length in the next week or so as to why I believe he fits.

David Herndon was picked up by the Blue Jays on October 23 after being let go by the Phillies. Now, he’s a Yankee, according to the Yankees website. He wasn’t going to be a part of the Phillies long-term plans, so they let him walk. If he can ever figure out that sinker…

Ryan Madson wants to be a closer. He would have been the closer for the Reds in 2012, but blew out his elbow and had Tommy John surgery. According to Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Madson is being sought out for that role by several teams, so says his agent, Scott Boras. If that’s the case, the pipe dream of Madson coming back to Phillies cannot be a reality. If the market closes on Madson much the way it did prior to last season, he’d make a great eighth inning option.

Click to comment

1. Ken Bland

November 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Good trifecta of subjects. Let’s go in alpha order. Herndon. Man, that’s a quick trip across the border. i’d say ya have to maybe think 2x about his liklihood for at least some success when an organization like Interlocking NY grabs ya, except they tried that last summer with a Phillie reliever, but there were seemingly trusty views on Herndon maybe doing okay beyond Philly which offsets some of the failed pitching decisions the Yanks have made in the Cashman regime. We’ll see,

Mad Dog. Okay, this will sound el stupido, but I’m quite comfty with it. Just because Boras said Madson wants to close doesn’t mean he’s not just sending a negotiating message. He SHOULD wanna close, and prolly will. But that doesn’t mean the market WILL accomodate. I feel certain he’s not signing early anyway. The Bank prolly wasn’t his first target anyway. Personally, I don’t rule his return here out based on “he wants to close”. Peeps prolly want me to close (this post out), but I got 1 more subject to cover before that, not to mention I think Madson’d be a tremendous fit with the Mets as a closer for one possibility.

Last subject. Looking forward to the forthcoming comments on why Cody’s a fit. Been thinking that way for a while now. And reflecting on some old quotes on Philly as a baseball town, I feel certain he’d love playing here.

I lied. Still another thought. Happy Election Day. Proud to be an American, and have the privelege to vote. Asta.

2. George

November 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ross: He could prove to be too expensive, or he might re-sign with Boston.

Herndon: I can’t bring myself to care too much because he’s no longer a Phil. He may help some otjher team, but not until at least mid-season. Just happy that his career hasn’t ended.

Madson: Of course he wants to close. He’ll probably get the chance, too, if he takes an incentive type contract. I don’t see him returning to the Phils.

3. hk

November 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ross: Only if he’s seen as, and paid to be, the RHB in a corner OF platoon.

Herndon: What was the opportunity cost of keeping him?

Madson: I agree with George. It seems very unlikely that he’ll return to the Phillies.

• George

November 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

From what I’ve read, Ross is seeking 3years/$25 million. That’s more than platoon money.

I’m not sure what you mean by opportunity cost, but I suspect paying a guy to sit on the DL half the year, clog up a roster spot, and finally be a slight possibility for middle relief/mopup (the Phils have quite a few prospects with more upside) was more than the front office wanted to spend.

• hk

November 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

George,

Re Ross: Ross may be asking for $25M over 3 years, but that doesn’t mean he’ll get it. I doubt he’ll get 3 years or $8.3M per year. If he does, I sincerely hope he doesn’t get it from the Phillies.

Re Herndon: What I don’t understand is why they had to expose him to waivers. Unless I’m missing something, he’s on the 60 day DL, so he doesn’t count against the 40 man roster. He’s in line to make ~$550K next year, so if that’s all it costs to take a chance that he recovers and can help in the bullpen for the 2nd half of the season and he doesn’t take up a roster spot until he’s healthy, why let him go?

• schmenkman

November 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

hk, I don’t believe players can stay on the 60-day DL once the season is over.

• hk

November 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

schmenkman,

Thanks. If that’s correct and the opportunity cost of keeping him was exposing another player to the Rule V draft, I understand why they did what they did.