Pitcher Austin Hyatt Released – Phillies Nation
2013 Spring Training

Pitcher Austin Hyatt Released

http://www.amsterdammohawks.com/images/Austin_Hyatt.jpgJeff Schuler of the Allentown Morning Call is reporting that the Phillies have released Austin Hyatt. Hyatt, 26, was a 15th round pick out of the University of Alabama in 2009 and was steadily climbing the Phillies ranks before struggling mightily (2-7, 6.33 ERA, 1.630 WHIP in 11 starts) with the IronPigs. Hyatt was believed to be a rotation stopgap candidate as recently as Spring 2012, starting the Phillies Spring Opener but has since been jumped in the developmental ranks by Tyler Cloyd, Ethan Martin, Adam Morgan, Jonathan Pettibone, and others. Schuler speculates the IronPigs rotation will most certainly include Cloyd, Pettibone, Martin, Morgan, and B.J. Rosenberg, a sentiment echoed by Matt Provence, the voice of the IronPigs.

1. Don M

March 29, 2013 at 8:20 am

I don’t why they just release players so often.. Not one of the other teams in baseball would’ve given something for Hyatt? Like their stalled-out prospect for ours?

• George

March 29, 2013 at 8:37 am

I doubt seriously that the Phils release “prospects” any more often than other team do. I also don’t see much point in getting another team’s “stalled out” player because there’s usually a good reason why that player is stalled. Casting about in another team’s sludge pond hoping for one tiny gem takes a lot of time, which is better spent searching for solutions to larger problems. Sometimes it’s a more productive use of resources just to release what is mostly dead weight.

• Don M

March 29, 2013 at 9:41 am

No, I get it .. but he’s not far removed from a good season at AA (2011) .. 154 innings, 171 K’s, 3.85 ERA, and 1.20 WHIP

and his total MiLB numbers = 3.79 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 9.9 SO/9 …. and he’s 26-years-old

I guess the Phillies don’t want him taking a rotation spot at AAA, and don’t want to send him back to AA ……… but I can’t believe some pitching-thin teams wouldn’t take a chance on him, and we get a single-A prospect, etc.

Just ranting I guess… but it’s multiple times lately that we’ve given up players for nothing

• George

March 29, 2013 at 12:27 pm

You’re always welcome to rant. But I’d suggest you sometimes look at the number of players other teams release who appear decent on the surface before getting too upset.

Sometimes a prospect just hits a wall that he the scouts believe he’ll never get over. And that isn’t just the home team’s scouts. It’s quite likely that others have watched Hyatt and figured the same thing. If there’s no way he can get above AA, there’s no reason for him to be taking a roster spot and drawing salary anywhere.

I’ve read many, many complaints lately that the Phils dump players for no return. I’ve also seen things like the Yankees paying a non-roster payer $100K to go to the minors, THEN releasing him a couple of days later, or teams making waiver claims only to put that same player on waivers the following week. I think people miss the bigger picture sometimes when complaining. There are decisions made that are questionable to anyone who doesn’t have scouting reports handy, and has no information about a team’s budget. Even a singe-A guy, if obtained, has to be paid, and has to have better potential than the guy he’ll bump from that “A” roster).

2. Don M

March 29, 2013 at 5:56 pm

George, you were right- there was a ton of guys released today!

• George

March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It’s nice to hear someone say I was right for a change, and I appreciate it. Mostly I just get told I’m an idiot, although not usually in such-cut-and-dried language.

Sometimes I am indeed an idiot, but I’ll leave that for some other day and some other discussion.