2013 Spring Training

Orr Homers Late to Power Phils to 2-1 Win

Pete Orr’s eighth inning homer off of former Phil Mike Zagurski was the difference in a 2-1 win over the Pirates.

The Good

Three players’ performances stood out for me today: Orr, Ender Inciarte, and Aaron Cook. A day after playing center field for the first time in Major League or Major League exhibition game, Orr hit the deciding homer in the eighth. Cook allowed two base runners and had a strikeout in three innings of work. His Spring ERA currently sits at 2.45, and with the reassignment of Tyler Cloyd to the IronPigs, Cook looks to be the front-runner for the long-man/sixth starter role. His main competition, Rodrigo Lopez, scattered three hits in two scoreless innings. Inciarte doubled off of Kyle McPherson and threw out Brad Hawpe at the plate from center. Inciarte has the tools to stick around – it remains to be seen if the Phillies have the roster space, or prospects, to keep him around.

Jonathan Papelbon also picked up two Ks in his inning of relief.

Areas of Opportunity

Chase Utley misplayed a fairly routine ball but made up for it later in the game with a nice snag. The bullpen bent but didn’t break today, allowing only one run, but Lopez, Jake Diekman, and Cesar Jiminez all allowed more than one base runner to reach.

Tomorrow, the Phillies will tangle with the Rays. John Lannan will start followed by Antonio Bastardo, Jermey Horst, and Justin De Fratus.

1. George

March 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I just watched a video of Inciarte’s throw to home, and all I can say is the Phils had better find a way to keep the guy. Not only was it a strong, accurate throw, but he had a good jump, was extremely fast getting to the ball, positioned himself perfectly to make the play, and made it all look rather easy. He looks like a ballplayer, and a seasoned one, at that.

• hk

March 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Do you have a link to the video that you can share or was it a tv replay?

• George

March 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

The video was actually on the Phillies site, if I remember correctly. It may have been archived somewhere, but it may have been deleted, because I don’t see it this morning. If I see it again, I’ll try to post a link.

Inciarte obviously has good defensive instincts, but I’ve never seen him hit. That, of course, could be a difference maker in his progression to the majors. Some guys are strictly glove men. If I see a video of him batting, I’ll try to link that, too.

• Chuck A.

March 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

I watched part of the game on delay last night but didn’t see the play. Now I’m curious…

• schmenkman

March 15, 2013 at 9:29 am

• Chuck A.

March 15, 2013 at 9:40 am

Whoa…. That’s a pretty nice play. I would agree that he has some natural, seasoned skills and that they should think long and hard about him. Thanks, schmenk for linking that…I could have looked it up myself and would have at some point this morning but it was nice to just have it there to click.