2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (9-11) vs. Pirates (10-9)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R2yHiPgsajA/Si048xOKYNI/AAAAAAAABg0/Zr2Ct92C2ok/s400/pirates+logo.gifPhiladelphia Phillies (8-11) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (10-9)

Cole Hamels (0-2, 6.46 ERA) v. Jeff Locke (1-1, 5.17 ERA)

TIME: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV:
The Comcast Network, home of Phillies Nation TV
Weather: 57, partly cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Cole Hamels sizes up his first win of the 2013 campaign against a 10-9 Pirates club. Hamels has fared well against current Pirates, striking out 25 Pirates in 100 PAA. The player to watch against Hamels? Andrew McCutchen who is hitting .333/.385/.667 in 13 trips to the plate. The Phils line up will face Jeff Locke, a former Braves second round pick in 2006 who came to Pittsburgh in the Nate McClouth deal. Locke will be making just his 14th Major League start and has never faced the Phillies.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Galvis 2B, Young 3B, Howard 1B, Mayberry RF, Brown LF, Revere CF, Kratz C, Hamels P

http://beerstreetjournal.com/images/Green-Flash-Treasure-Chest.jpeg GAMEDAY BEER: Treasure Chest

I picked a pirate-themed beer last night that I had never heard of and the Phillies won 3-2. Let’s hope the trend continues with this San Diego-based Belgian blonde ale, chosen in honor of both Hamels and the Pirates. Go Phillies!

1. johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 7:15 pm

when michael young bobbled that ball, my 2 year old says “he missed, try again”

• Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Relax. When the kid is miore sophisticated, like at age 3, he/she/it will say, ” it’s always a backhand that gives him trouble He’s better going to his left.”

• Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Starting to look like the first time in human history a 2 year old had nothing to say after Young made the latter backhand play,

No mas terrible twos, I guess.

2. johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 7:19 pm

did you pick that beer because hamels’ wife has an awesome chest?

3. johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm

if she says “whats with this ole shit” im putting her in time out

4. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:36 pm

The line from the old Broadway hit, Damned Empire, when your luck is batting zero, get your chin up off the ground was a true story based on the forthcoming inning.

The next 3 hitters, Brown, Revere and Kratz are 42 for 198 on the season. Not zero, but not so hot.

5. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Wheeler accused the lights of murder there.

Looked like Demon Young’s fault to me.

6. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Early pen action.

The RISP critics are warming up.

Fervishly, I might add.

7. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I might be able to cure cancer after all, because I just decided the one way to improve the Phils RISP is to let em face Phils pitching.

Sho nuff set up for it here.

• Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Guess that thought didn’t give enough weight to the red cell count. But what a great idea in theory.

Tonight’s trivia question, since for the 48th game in a row I don’t know is after tomorrow’s start, which Phillie, Hamels or Halladay will sport the lower ERA. Hamels has regained the lower ERA with his work to the minute so far tonight in the ongoing Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better.

8. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Hamels just took 7 pitches to get the worst hitting pitcher since Bob Buhl out. Not too impressive.

9. Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, 0-11 with RISP maybe, but the one run the Buccos got was NOT a homer, nd NOT a RISP deal.

10. Glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Now, good god, if they can’t get Mayberry in from third with no outs, I might just need to buy a new TV.

11. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Pretty soon the stat RISP will be aptly named R.I.P. for this offense.

• Ken Bland

April 23, 2013 at 8:21 pm

That is a better than great line. I’m impressed!

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Thanks, Ken. After that debacle of an inning by the offense, I have to laugh.

12. Glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

WHY THE F*** DID HE RUN?!

13. Glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Worst offense in the league.

14. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 23, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Revere’s pump action, where he slaps his arms together, makes it look like his arms are having a seizure! I’m not a hitting coach by any means, but the sure physics of it say you can’t generate enough power to do squat. Craps, I mean Kratz, is not having a good season, even if it was little league play. Need someone to hit the offense with a defibrillator to get us back in the game.

15. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Bottom of the sixth: Where the offense normally comes alive! C’mon Phils!

16. johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm

i love sarge. he doesnt BS at all.

• johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm

i do not love angelo cataldi. he sucks. come to think of it, most do on WIP

17. Brooks

April 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm

When the season began I was excited to see Howard and Utley looking a tad like their old selves. I was also excited to have Revere who seemed to be an up and coming offensive talent and who has looked fabulous in center field.
    Noffense, Nothing is going on here. Revere couldn’t even hit into a double play which would have scored Mayberry – nope, he hit the ball in the worst spot it could be hit.
    As far as Brown goes – was there ever a concensus on when we throw the towel in and say, “Enough!” It just is not working.

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I think ill toss my towel in now.

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Really is sad. He tore it upin spring and even got off to a hot regular season start. Fools gold.

18. Bob D

April 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I’ll chip in Glutenous new TV fund with $5 to start.

Hamels first win will be like Lee’s last year – no run support

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Bob, every little bit will help.

19. Bob D

April 23, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Revere has been driving the ball, just not to the OF – only into the ground.

Brown needs more time – he’s not the problem on this team

• Brooks

April 24, 2013 at 5:33 am

“Brown needs more time – he’s not the problem on this team”
      I’m sure you mean that Brown is not the ONLY problem on this team, true enough. But, the phrase – give him more time – has been repeated since he first came up in 2010 – table has been set over and over again and he has been and will continue to be a NO SHOW.

20. johnmatrix

April 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

while revere cant hit that great, hes saved many runs in the outfield.

21. Bart Shart

April 23, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Offensively impotent. and that, in and of itself, is offensive.

22. Dave

April 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I’ve been watching the Phillies since the 70’s and this is possibly the worst offense I’ve ever seen. This team is so boring to watch, I let my wife put Dancing with the Stars on for an inning.

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’m with you. Its just so hard to watch.

23. Joe a

April 23, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I agree dave. This team us just downright unwatchable. Dreadful!

24. glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Its deja vu all over again. Hamels won’t get a win til at July at the earliest.

I wonder if howard will hit another HR this season..

Every night I tune in and for some reason expect to see something different from the offense, and every night I come away severely disappointed. I’m so done. Gaaaah.

25. Rudy Canoza

April 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Brown and Revere are about to drop under the Mendoza Line. Is this the worst outfield ever fielded by a big league team?

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Offensively yes but they are pretty solid defensively, especially when galvis is out there. Doesnt matter though if you don’t score.

26. Rudy Canoza

April 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Only 31,000 at the park tonight.

• glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm

That number will continue to drop. Tv deal is most likely in jeopardy too.

We may be descending into another era of bad baseball in philly. I didn’t take 2007-2011 for granted. Call me a pessimist but I somehow knew it wouldn’t last.

27. glutenous

April 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm

The state of philly sports in general is pretty horrid right now. Sixers getting had by the bynum deal, and one of our greatest stars, iverson, is in shambles.

On the bright side it can’t get much worse…right?