2013 Game Recaps

Kendrick Shuts Out Mets, Phils Win 4-0

The Big Piece can still dazzle us with his monster home runs. (PHOTO: AP)

The Big Piece can still dazzle us with his monster home runs. (PHOTO: AP)

Kyle Kendrick pitched a gem and the offense was able to put up four runs as the Phillies topped the Mets Friday night at a atmosphere-less Citi Field. Michael Young and Ryan Howard drove in all the runs for the Phillies in the sixth inning, and the game featured just three umpires after home plate umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field in the first inning with what was later called “flu-like symptoms.” The game was delayed for a few minutes while first base ump Adrian Johnson went to get the proper gear to take O’Nora’s place. Very odd.

SHUTOUT FOR KENDRICK

Kyle Kendrick pitched his third complete game of his career, and second shutout. His first was back in May of last year against the Cardinals. His final line tonight: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, lowering his season ERA to 2.41, which is best among Phillies starters.

He was in command of his pitches all night and tossed ground ball after ground ball (10 in total). He induced nine whiffs and threw first pitch strikes to twenty-two batters. By the end of the night, he was just four batters over the minimum. Fantastic outing.

If this is the Kyle Kendrick that we are going to be seeing this year, it could be a big factor in how many wins the Phillies will have.

TOP FOUR GETTING IT DONE

The top four of Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Michael Young, and Ryan Howard were a combined 6-15 with a walk, four RBI and four runs scored. Three of the runs came on a home run by Ryan Howard in the 6th, which came directly after M. Young’s RBI single.

However, the bottom of the lineup continues to struggle. The Phillies really need Carlos Ruiz back. And maybe Delmon Young as well.

OTHER NOTES:

Jimmy Rollins was picked off of first base in the first inning. He looked like he avoided the tag, but the throw beat him by a mile.

The Phillies offense was 2-7 with runners in scoring position, and just left five on base all night. Very nice, compared to what we’ve seen lately.

Tomorrow, the Phillies and Mets square off again, with Jonathan Pettibone and Shawn Marcum getting the ball for the Phillies and Mets, respectively.

1. DavidE

April 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Howard has hit 2 homers in the past 3 days. Hopefully, he will be on a roll for a while. Kendrick pitched as well as I have ever seen him pitch. Very good night for the Phillies altouugh it started pretty shaky with Rollins getting picked off.

2. Bart Shart

April 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I am very proud and happy regarding the pitching performance of Kyle Kendrick tonight. He has really improved.

3. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 12:17 am

Howard has 3 home runs now and 3 walks.

I was wondering if a player ever had a season with more home runs than walks ( at least 15)

I thought the best chance would be the player who most reminds me of Howard.

Dave kingman.

And sure enough he did it several times. Although career wise he had 442 homers and 608 walks.

The following years he managed this great feet. With the first total being HR then walks.

1975 36 HR 34 BB
    1976 37 HR 28 BB
    1979 48 HR 45 BB ( lead majors in HR, All star, 11th in MVP balloting)
    1986 35 HR 33 BB ( last season in the majors, 2nd in AL in home runs, he finished with a .684 OPS behind every other player on the A’s Roster including SS Alfredo Griffin who had 4 home runs and Bruce Bochte who had 6)

• schmenkman

April 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

Good question. It’s been done 86 times by qualifying players (502+ PAs). Last done in 2011, by Beltre (32-25), Trumbo (29-25), and Wells (25-20).

• schmenkman

April 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

4 is the most times by any player, and it was also done by Juan Gone.

4. Bruce

April 27, 2013 at 12:19 am

Very nice win for the Phils and they needed one for their morale. Prior to the game I wondered to myself..which Kyle Kendrick we will see tonight. Obviously, it’s that perception of his past inconsistency I had held against him.Tonight he changed that perception. He is making me a believer that he has fully realized his capability as a matured pitcher who knows how to pitch to a hitter’s weakness with craft and finesse. Of course, like any quality pitcher, he will have “off” days but far less than what we have seen in the past.

I noticed Howard is starting to pick up a little steam in his power number production as the weather begins to warm. He is already hitting a respectable .282 BA. A MEANINGFUL 3-run HR to break the game open tonight sort of put a dent in the Howard bashers’ claim that Howard RBIs are irrelevant. Of course, no amount of persuation will convince them otherwise. By season’s end (hoping he stays healthy), Howard will have his usual team leading run production in HRs and RBIs. And that MATTERS to the team.

5. brooks

April 27, 2013 at 5:54 am

The Phils are not going to win without Howard’s lumber. Great game by Kendrick, very impressed. Sure, we need Jimmy to get on base and the contributions by both Chase and now Mike Young are vital but the key is Howard – it has been since 2005. If he hits, the team is in contention, every night.

6. brooks

April 27, 2013 at 6:10 am

We get a little Marcum action tonight. Guy has been around for a few years and never seemed to do well or stay healthy.
    If the Phils are hungry enough, the feast is on!

April 27, 2013 at 8:23 am

With losses form Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Frisco last night, the Phils are 3.5 games out of the number 1 wild card spot- with 138 games to play.
    That’s insurmountable, there’s no way they can make up 3.5 games in the next one hundred thirty eight.

Break them up, tear them down, it’s over, finished, trade everyone, fire everybody. Heck, fire the Phanatic, and shutter The Bull’s place too. We don’t need to wait until May! They stink, do it now!

• Ryne Duren

April 27, 2013 at 9:18 am

wow lefty! for a minute there i thought i was ready a comment on philly .com thankfully though it came from you.i don’t know you personally, but i do understand good humor and sarcasism coming from a true fan. funny post pal.

• Ryne Duren

April 27, 2013 at 9:22 am

lefty i’m not crazy about how they’ve been playing so far. i’ve been quite so far cause as they say( whoever they are) the jury’s still out. personally my gut tells me they aren’t going to make the playoffs but i’m hoping they do. we still have a lot of baseball left and who knows brother they could put it together. i’m praying they do.

• Lefty

April 27, 2013 at 10:34 am

You have been uncharacteristically quiet Ryne. Speak up and be counted son!
      Glad you caught the sarcasm.

• c schreiber

April 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I guess I grew up with the P’s in the wrong era, with different fans who enjoyed the game differently but wildcard, 2nd wildcard, next it will be 3rd wildcard and so on and so forth. Please if you don’t have the best record in the NL league after 154 games (now 162) to me you aren’t the best team in the NL. Playoffs ?? What are playoffs?? It should be best record in NL versus best record in AL after 162 games playing all 162 against ypor own league. Get rid of these games versus AL. So Lefty please let me know what their record is if they had a third or fourth wildcard etc. Horsepucky systems. Bring back 154 games versus the NL 0nly. Anything else is just a gimmick of the greedy owners to make more $$ for themselves.

• schmenkman

April 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

@c schreiber, I would be perfectly happy if they went back to no playoffs and just have the best team from each league play in the WS.

But back in the real world, there ARE playoffs, and 2 wild cards in each league and I want the team I support to make it to the postseason. Because when they do, I know they have about as good a shot as anyone of winning it all.

• Lefty

April 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I wish for the old days sometimes, cs, it’s okay for us old folk to do that. But I’m afraid Schmenkman is right, the reality now IS this system. The playoffs are nothing but a crapshoot, but it’s the way those with influence want it to be because it beings in the most $.

It’s about the money, cs- it’s always about the money.

So for now, I’ll hope the Phils can make it into “the tournament” any way they can, because once you’re there, anything can happen.

• c schreiber

April 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I hear you Lefty & Schmenk but I’ll never say any team including the P’s are the best unless they end the regular season with the best record in their league and win the WS. Anything else is just BS games for the coffers of the owners and means “do do” to me. I guess us old Bridesburg and Delaware County ballplayers never die they just fade away as “coots”. I do understand the new way of sports but it doesn’t mean I have to like them. I’ve rooted for this team since my 1st game in 1951 and am discussed with their efforts of the last few years so to hear 3 1/2 games from wildcard..need I say more.

8. DavidE

April 27, 2013 at 9:20 am

Howard isn’t drawing walks because pitchers are just not afraid of him and he hasn’t shown very good discipline at the plate. Now that he is showing power, the walks will come.

9. DavidE

April 27, 2013 at 9:32 am

Regarding Howard’s walks, I noticed that Jayson Werth has drawn only 4 walks. When he was with the Phillies in 2010, he drew more than 80 walks. The pitchers don’t get behind in the count because they aren’t afraid. So then he doesn’t get the fat pitches to hit when the pitcher needs to throw a strike.