Phillies End Road Trip with Comeback over D’Backs

Just the way they drew it up, I’m sure.

The Phillies somehow, someway, come away with a 4-2, 10-inning victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks, finishing off their seven-game road trip 4-3.

Kyle Kendrick threw seven strong innings, again, but did not factor in the decision. He was hurt, as Phillies pitchers seem to be so often this season, by the lack of an offense. However, KK lowered his ERA to 2.47.  Brandon McCarthy, he of the 6.75 ERA going into the game, shut them down over eight innings. But everything changed when Arizona went to the bullpen.

Heath Bell allowed two runs on doubles by Chase Utley and Delmon Young, then an RBI single by Dom Brown to tie it at two. Then in the 10th, off a lefty who had not allowed a run all season – Matt Reynolds – Ryan Howard deposited a two-run single for the W.

Maddening. Frustrating. It all applies to the team. They win the first two of the road trip, the first against Cy Young candidate Madison Bumgarner, then lose three straight, then win the final two. They scored 12 runs the first two games, then 13 runs over the final five.

This team is impossible to figure out right now. But alas, they do what they had to do, and that’s win more than they lost on a tough road swing out west.

May 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Can’t complain about a 4-3 western road trip. I agree Pat that they are maddening sometimes, but that’s baseball. For the 50 years that I’ve watched games it’s always been that way, always will be. The near perfect trips like the one in 2011, IMO- as a baseball fan those are the once in a lifetime kind that you store in your memory as a treasure forever. You may never see a 9-1 roadie again. I’ll take a 4-3 western road trip any day.

Now if they just can figure out how to win more consistently at home…. Let’s go Phils, it’s pay back time for the Indians.

• hk

May 12, 2013 at 8:27 pm

It’s pay back time for both Ohio teams. If they can win 4 out of 5, they’re back at .500 before heading to Miami for 3.

• Lefty

May 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Also- the Indians were forced into a make up doubleheader today instead of a day off due to bad weather April 10th and 11th. They will use both of their best pitchers, leaving us to face Kazmir and Kluber, instead of what would have been Masterson and Bauer.

May 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Oh, and Hats off to Mr. Justin De Fratus who comes into his first game this season, in as high a pressure a situation as possible, against the Dbacks best hitter, and gets himself a well deserved 1 out win.

Happy mothers day to all the moms out there!

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I agree, Lefty. Now let’s see how much leash they give Chad ” I love letting inherited runners score” Durbin, if DeFratus keeps pitching like he did in triple A and like he did today. Go Phils!

3. DavidE

May 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm

A great win today. It’ wasreally a team effort.

4. Jaron B

May 13, 2013 at 12:05 am

They don’t walk. They’d be in a lot better shape if they walked some more. What was that stat… .320 OBP or lower and you’re most likely out of the playoffs?

5. Bart Shart

May 13, 2013 at 12:38 am

Ryan Howard might need glasses. Has anybody checked his eyesight lately. OR if he wears contacts, he might need a change in prescription. He has been swinging and missing by a wide margin lately.

• Ryne Duren

May 13, 2013 at 10:09 am

Lately Bart? lol He’s about as frustrating as it can get watching him at the plate. Yesterda I had to run out to the store and was listening on the radio. Howard comes up and swings and misses at the fist pitch, L.A. says with a disgusting tone in his voice. ” what the heck is he swinging at?”: that wasn’t even close to being a strike! So, like you bart, I too think he needs to have his eyes checked. along with the whole line up I might add. lol

• Ryne Duren

May 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

Did anyone notice that when he got his 2 rbi hit to right it was the exact same spot that he hit a ball the previous game only nobody on so they had the shift on and it went on one hop to the second baeman and he got thrown out at first. maybe these guys ought to get on base more often some how to give the piece a chance when he does make contact. Hey there ya go!
      ” Give piece a chance” has a good ring to it.

6. Phillies fan from Germany

May 13, 2013 at 4:01 am

Big win. Absolutely inexplicable why Gibson let Bell face our Lefties Utley, Howard and Brown only because it is a save situation. In-game managing in MLB is terrible a lot of times. This time good for us.

7. bacardipr

May 13, 2013 at 4:53 am

The Phillis Lineup consistently makes bad starting pitchers look brilliant. In order for this squad to win games opponents must be kept at 2 runs or under. A feat that will be near impossible to replicate on a consistent basis.

• Phillies fan from Germany

May 13, 2013 at 5:19 am

Agree. Ts road trip it worked very well, though. They allowed 2, 2, 4, 2, 3, 1 and 2 runs in the 7 games or 16 runs in total for an aveage of 2.3 runs per game. Very impressive Pitching indeed.

• brooks

May 13, 2013 at 5:55 am

The impressive pitching is actually not easy to notice because of the persistent failings of the noffense. But facts are as stated, the pitching by all of the starters has been exceptional.

• Ryne Duren

May 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

I had mentioned that to my boys before the game started. I heard the pregame on the radio and they were talking up KK about only 5 or 6 pitchers in the last 29 years have had 7 quality starts of 6 or 7 + inn. of 2 runs or less, and then they were talking about the phils bats should come to life cause the D-backs pitcher was 0-3 with a high 6.00 era and teams have been hitting him hard.
      As soon as I walked into my house I told my boys what they were saying on the radio pregame and they laughed. I said don’t worry KK will give up some runs today and we’ll make this guys career get back on track. Well we did but KK held em after that first inn. kudos to Krendrick.

8. Brooks

May 13, 2013 at 6:24 am

Now bring in the Indians. Good grief, what a terrible series it was vs them. Tuesday with Petibone who has not suffered much humiliation so far then on Wednesday Cole Hamels. Which Hamels will it be? In his last 3 games, 11 walks – 6, 0 then 5 in his last outing and yet somehow the Phils were in each game.
    It almost seems that when we expect so much out of Cole we are setting ourselves up for a failure, or him. In 2009, who didn’t expect Cole to start his reign as the dominant LP in the NL? In 2013, there was nothing but high expectations for a CYA. Sure, if Cole did have some offensive support his record could easily be 5-2 instead of 1-5. Dominance? No, I haven’t really seen it and I think we shouldn’t expect to see it out of him.

9. Chuck A.

May 13, 2013 at 7:09 am

4-3 western trip?? Yeah, I guess I’m ok with it. I’d be more ok with it if the Phils were at or above .500. I think they had a great chance to go 5-2 which would have made more of a statement but 4-3 is acceptable, ESPECIALLY against two good teams. And….they essentially stole one yesterday and took a nice feeling with them onto the plane and into today’s off day.

By the way… 4-3 the rest of the way gets them to 88 wins. Is that enough for a playoff spot?? Not so sure. I really think they need to be at that .600 pace which gets them about 91-92 wins. I’m still waiting for them to go a tear, something like 10-3. Something to really set the tone for the rest of the season. It needs to happen soon.

• Lefty

May 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I think 88 does the trick.
      I just read this yesterday. I can’t vouch for it’s accuracy, just a post from another site.

NL East teams records against teams with winning records-

Phillies: 9-15
      Nats: 9-13
      Braves: 8-13

But I can see that the Nats are playing .541 ball putting them at an 87 win pace, and Braves .568 putting them at a 92 win pace.

10. Dave

May 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

I too was listening to some of the game on the radio yesterday. I have to reiterate how refreshing it is to listen to Scott and Larry. L.A. doesn’t sugar coat things the way the boobs on tv do. Wheeler feels that everyone is a wonderful person and has always been afraid to say what should be said. But then again, he’s a butt kisser and always has been. Larry said yesterday that McCarthy shouldn’t be too proud of himself because it’s not like he’s facing the Bronx Bombers. He also pointed out how poorly McCarthy has pitched this year and how the Phillies hitters had done nothing against him. I love his candidness.

• schmenkman

May 13, 2013 at 11:44 am

Candidness is nice, when it’s based on actual knowledge. Did Larry mention that McCarthy’s always been a much better pitcher than that, or that his underlying stats this year are as good as ever, or that his fielding-independed stats are even better than his career numbers, or that his BABIP against is an astronomical .365 (compared to his career .288), and can only be explained by bad luck?

The Phillies offense stinks, but McCarthy is also a pretty good pitcher.

• Lefty

May 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

As much as I like him, I don’t think L.A. is into underlying stats.

11. Chuck A.

May 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm

And the ridiculous hate for Chris Wheeler continues on….

• Dave

May 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Never said I hated him Chuck. I just think he’s a lousy announcer. Why is that ridiculous?

12. brooks

May 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Numerous times throughout the broadcast, as annoying as he can get Wheels actually commented that the Phils should be crushing this pitcher as everyone else in the league has been.
    As true as the statement was, Wheels was begginning to sound like AFW (or me) repeating the same thing over and over again – going on about how the offense was just flat. Given past performances, I fully expected that when the Phils finally did reach the D’backs BP the same scenario would hold true and there would be no blips of life displayed but shades of yesteryear they did come through.
    What next? Cole Hammels pitching steadily? Oh my Gawd…

• schmenkman

May 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm

That’s one way to interpret what we saw. Another, and to me more accurate way, is that McCarthy is actually better than he’s looked (see reply to Dave above), and the Phillies should not be expected to be crushing him.

• George

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I always find it amusing when people base their opinions purely on how bad the Phils’ offense is, and never seem to give any credit to a pitcher who may actually have had a good game. Even horrible pitchers have good games once in a while and Brandon McCarthy has never been all that horrible; he’s even actually had a couple of pretty decent seasons.

The Phil’s offense can be inconsistent, but when the starter leaves and they smack two relievers around, I think it says that maybe the pitcher who baffled them for 8 innings might just have had his “A” game going. The only other answer would be that those two relievers were complete garbage. But to hear some commenters, it’s the complete garbage that the Phils can never hit.

13. brooks

May 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

McCarthy is a professional but, I would bet a beer that he gets hammered again and again and again – just not by us.