2013 Game Recaps

Phillies Nearly Blow It, Hold On for Win Over Brewers

The Phillies held on to win the finale of their three game series with Milwaukee on Sunday, 7-5, and avoided the sweep.

The Phils jumped out to an early lead in the first, scoring five runs off Brewers starter Mike Fiers. Domonic Brown hit a three-run home run, while Erik Kratz and Freddy Galvis each drove in a run in a first inning during which Philadelphia batted around. They then added another two runs in the second to jump out to a large 7-0 lead.

With seven early runs and Lee on the mound, there was a definite feeling of comfort.. .until there wasn’t. Antonio Bastardo pitched the ninth instead of Jonathan Papelbon, who was nowhere to be found, and nearly let the game slip away. A game that was already too close for comfort because of Justin De Fratus’ struggles. Turns out Papelbon was unavailable due to a stomach illness.

Dom Brown’s Power Carrying Offense

At this point, you feel spoiled if Brown does not hit a home run in a key spot with men on base. The Phillies left fielder cranked his 16th homer of the year in the first inning, a three-run blast off the facing of the upper deck in right. He followed that up with an RBI triple in the second, a single in the fifth, and a walk in the seventh inning.

Brown’s power has been almost hard to comprehend. In his last nine games, he has eight home runs and 14 RBI, which is more than any other player in the majors over that span. He has also raised his average from .243 on May 19 to .282, which is no easy feat two months into the season.

Walks from Howard a Key to Scoring Runs

One thing that happened in Sunday’s game that has been happening more often of late is Ryan Howard working a walk out of a tough count, and having that extend the inning for Brown, who drives in the runs. In the last three days Howard has three walks after having just one in his previous seven games. When your best hitter is doing what Brown is doing, Howard getting on base (especially with two outs) is key because it gives Brown an opportunity to drive in runs like he did today, and does not bring him up with the bases empty in the next inning.

Lee is Lee, did you expect anything else?

We have come to expect Cliff Lee to do what he did today, and has done the last several outings. The southpaw has been almost untouchable in his last six starts. He has been mixing up his pitches, forcing weak contact and pounding the strike zone. At one point in the seventh inning, when he hit the 80 pitch mark, he had thrown 64 strikes and 16 balls.

Lee finished the game with 11 strikeouts in 7 2/3 innings. He did allow three earned runs, but that was mostly due to Justin De Fratus allowing the two runners he inherited to score on a bases-clearing triple by Jonathan Lucroy. It could have been even worse as a grand slam was overturned on replay.

In his career, Lee is 72-7 when his team has scored six runs or more for him.

Up Next…

The Phillies will remain at home for a three game series with the last place Miami Marlins. The Phillies are 6-4 against Miami this year, which is not all that good considering they have only 16 wins all season and more than a quarter of those are against the Phillies. On Monday night Philadelphia will send Kyle Kendrick to the hill. He pitched well his last time out and has a 5-3 record and 3.27 ERA this season.

1. bacardipr

June 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Galvis to Rollins: That’s how its done ol’ head. Rollins to Galvis: No this is the way to make a great play Youngan….Man i cant believe this game almost slipped out of their hands.

2. bacardipr

June 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I think Howard took some pointer from Big Papi…..

3. Brooks

June 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm

And the Nats have slipped under .500 – right in our division the Phils have been struggling mightily against the second worse team in the majors and the Nats have almost begged the Phils to take second place from them..

4. bacardipr

June 2, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Youre right Brooks. Its same thing when they face a struggling pitcher with a ERA of 6+. Then when they get the bases loaded 1 or no outs situation they fail to deliver. I think its 4 for 27 in those situations or something of the sort.

• schmenkman

June 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm

It’s true, they’ve been awful with the bases loaded.

On the other hand they’re second best in the league with men on 1st and 2nd. I don’t think I’ve heard anybody talk about that. And there are more 3 1/2 times as many situations as with the bases loaded.

June 2, 2013 at 7:28 pm

What the hell happened to Papelbon? Bastardo makes my blood pressure rise.

• hk

June 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Stomach illness. In fairness to Bastardo, if Revere catches the fly ball that began the inning, the inning would have probably been much easier.

• G7

June 2, 2013 at 7:44 pm

• Lefty

June 2, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Victorino read balls better than Revere, and that’s saying something.

6. Midwestphillyphan

June 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Interesting statistic i saw tonight: Phillies rank #1 in quality starts……

We really gotta start scoring some runs. period.

7. bacardipr

June 3, 2013 at 1:16 am

Imagine if Cole got his act together…

• rellis

June 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

It’s not like he hasn’t had any quality starts! I’ve never seen such a strange season for a pitcher.

8. teejvee

June 3, 2013 at 5:53 am

At this point, who cares about the Nats?The teams they are chasing for the WC are and the division are 8 games ahead of the them.
    The Phillies have shown they are a bad team occasionally capable of playing a good game, as opposed to a good team that has had a stretch of bad luck.

9. jake

June 3, 2013 at 8:20 am

Well, Dom Brown proving he can play solves some offseason questions.
    Looks we’re only looking for 1.5 outfielders (the .5 is based on the chance Revere proves he can at play).

THis isn’t a winning team. Too many injuries, holes and inconsistent play. I’d keep Cole and Brown and see what I can get for Lee, Utley and Rollins. I’d trade howard as well and pay whatever part of his salary I had too. Even saving a few million bucks and opening up a spot in the line-up /field is worth it to me.

I’d get behind a team with “kids” again.

• Chuck A.

June 3, 2013 at 8:39 am

I think you gotta consider keeping Jimmy as well. It’s great to have a team of “kids” but, seriously, who else would you put in there at SS right now?? Rollins is an absolute rock out there at that position.

2014 starting 8:

Right Fielder

• G7

June 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

Galvis is a ss.

• Chuck A.

June 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

That is true…he is an SS by trade. BUT….I think he can really play 2B and 3B really well also and RIGHT NOW I’d rather keep Rollins as your “veteran presence” up the middle. I don’t think the team would be hurt by that at all.

10. hogey's role

June 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

The thing I think about is if we keep Utley, Howard, Brown, revere and call up asche that’s five lefties in our lineup.. and I’m not ready to give up on Chase yet, maybe we try to turn him into a left fielder and shift Brown to right, and make room for Hernandez

11. Mike in NJ

June 3, 2013 at 11:15 am

I don’t think you can trade Lee unless someone just blows you away with an offer, and/or they take Howard, too.

I’ve about seen enough of Revere. He’s almost certainly cost the team more runs than he’s produced with his misplaying routine fly balls and popgun arm., and how is it possible for a guy that has played almost every day to have 5 RBIs on June 2nd?!?

IMO time to end the Delmon Young experiment. Move Brown to RF, Bring up Ruf to play LF, and, God help us, put Mayberry in CF.

• Chuck A.

June 3, 2013 at 11:59 am

I think you gotta give Revere the full season to really see what you’ve got. He didn’t hit around .300 last year by accident. Agree that his defense is sometimes sketchy but I’ve seen worse.

Totally agree on getting rid of Delmon. The guy is a total waste at this point. I’d play Mayberry in right with some Nix thrown in. I don’t think putting Ruf out there everyday is the answer and I don’t think moving Brown at this point in the season makes sense either. He’s the left fielder, let’s not screw around with him anymore than we have to! There’s been enough of that.

Cliff Lee ain’t going anywhere.

• G7

June 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Revere should be given every opportunity to improve this year..because of his speed..he does need a lot of work both offensively and defensively, but he is still young. I remember what was said about a young Dom Brown’s struggles the last few years..

12. teejvee

June 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’m waiting for Revere to hit for the cycle. Ground out to first, 2nd,
    ss, and 3rd. I know he has it in him!

13. Chuck A.

June 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm

And I don’t really care that Revere has just 5 RBI in June. Driving in runs isn’t his game. Getting on base, stealing bags, making life miserable for the pitcher….that’s what I want to see from him. That speed…if used properly…can be a VERY powerful weapon.

• teejvee

June 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

LOL. I can’t think of a player who creates less misery for a pitcher than Ben “2 hopper’ Revere.

14. bacardipr

June 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Hogey have you seen Utley throw a ball. His awkward throwing motion sometimes i wonder how he hits his targets from 30ft away. Let alone from the outfield. Nix has falling off radar. What they need is a proven OF’er/CF’er. Mayberry is not the answer. Yes his defense is ok but at the plate is a different story. Now that Young is back can they Dl Howard?

15. Bob in Bucks

June 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Nothing new from me but here it goes –

Utley has to be traded. Not because he is not a good player but because we have to give up on 08 team, because he will want multiyear and his injuries will not improve and because he will give us the most value. No multiyear obligation to take on, just an experienced player to take someone to the playoffs (Phils are not going there).

I would put Ruiz on the market too but I don’t know what he is worth. In any case we should NOT resign him because we have to give on the 08 team and focus on the future, we have a ton of catcher prospects who we need to give some experience and trials too.

Lee will be difficult to move because his contract is back loaded ($25 million in 13, 14 and 15 and a $12.5 million buyout/27.5 million club option for 16.) Take him in the middle of 13 and you sign up for $75 million. I think there will be buyers but also consider that he has no trade clause of 21 teams. Not impossible but will the team improve?

Without Utley and Halladay the team has $35 million to spend which should be focused on 3b/rf.

I can’t see anyone taking Howard for any money thrown in. He is a hole in the lineup. We bought him, he is broke and we keep him. Hopefully he is moved down in the lineup in the future.

I am ambivalent about Rollins. I think he is worth the money and we don’t seem to have a lot of infield prospects.

Revere is cheap and if we have better than lets play them.

Starting pitching hopefully will be the problem for 14.

• George

June 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I think with the likes of Pettibone and Cloyd, plus a mystery season from Hamels, that starting pitching is a problem already.

• teejvee

June 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Howard is clearly hurting. He should be DL’ed . I would say he should be dropped in the lineup, except who else isn’t stinking up the joint besides Brown?