2013 Game Recaps

Phils Come Back to Beat Rockies in Walkoff Fashion

PHOTO: AP

PHOTO: AP

A Phillies comeback win? Remember what that feels like? It seems like it’s been so long since we’ve seen one. Down a run going into the ninth inning, the game looked about over. But a leadoff double by Erik Kratz gave the Phillies life. Carlos Ruiz doubled in Kratz, and Michael Young finished the game with walkoff single.

Cliff Lee had his best outing in a while. It was the first time that he allowed less than three runs in a start since late June. After giving up two runs in the 2nd inning, he settled into a groove and the Rockies didn’t really even threaten him for the rest of the night.

Justin De Fratus relieved Lee, and gave up the go-ahead run in the top of the 8th. Jake Diekman pitched a flawless ninth and recorded the win. He’s quietly been very solid lately.

Three Phillies recorded multiple hits: Darin Ruf, Erik Kratz, and John Mayberry Jr. Jimmy Rollins walked twice, hopefully a sign of more patience at the plate from him.

UP NEXT: The series finale is tomorrow at 7:05 with Kyle Kendrick and Chad Bettis squaring off.

1. Brooks

August 22, 2013 at 6:09 am

I had to give up my tickets, worked called me to Harrisburg – besides, every bobble head figure I have collected so far (except Chooch) has been offed to another team or retired.
    I switched to Duck Dynasty after the bottom of the 8th – why not? What could be different about last nights game? DeFratus comes in and gives up the go ahead run, the Phils sheepishly, quietly go 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 8th –
    I was pretty surprised when I woke this morning and found some Philies magic happened…

2. Pamikedc

August 22, 2013 at 7:05 am

@Brooks, duck dynasty is hilarious.

But how great does a phillies walk off feel?

• Chuck A.

August 22, 2013 at 8:12 am

Pamikedc – Can I answer that question??? Last night’s walk-off really didn’t get my juices flowing. Don’t get me wrong…it was nice and I enjoyed it to some extent…but if they had lost I probably would have felt the same way. That’s what apathy will do for you and that’s where I am at this point in this ridiculous season.

3. G7

August 22, 2013 at 7:12 am

Saw much better at bats last night than I’ve seen in a long time..including Jimmy

• Manny

August 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Yea. He had that really good at-bat in which he worked up the count full before ripping a double to RF. We definitely need to see more of that!

4. Mike in NJ

August 22, 2013 at 8:14 am

I guess I have to be “that guy” and point out Ruiz knocked in PR Wells, not Kratz 😛

Nice win. Holy crap who replaced Diekman with a cyborg? If he can keep throwing the ball like that, our bullpen just got a whole lot better.

• Ryne Duren

August 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Yea Mike you got that right! Maybe Sandberg told him not to listen to Scooby dooby and fire the ball.
      Personally I think when he first came up he was throwing really hard like that but got wild. I don’t know if it was from the jitters of being in the majors or just trying too hard to impress. My theory is the Doobster told him to change something and not try to throw so hard so he can throw more strikes and thus his velocity went down. Since Sandberg took over all of a sudden he’s back to being the lights out closer he was for Sandberg at AAA. I’ve had my suspicions about this cause if you noticed all of these young guys that came up threw in the mid to high 90’s . Aumont, Diekman, DeFratus and now they are all in the low 90’s! except for Diekman. And now it seems like DeFratus is starting to throw harder.
      Also we have had a rash of sore arms from a lot of the young guys Horst, Stutes, Savery. Even Bastardo was throwing high 90’s when they brought him up. He’s also in the low 90’s.
      It’s not like these guys are old and starting to lose velocity like Paps is or Doc. So I think there’s more to these guys not being effective.
      The question I keep asking myself is How can all these young guys be so lights out in AAA and come up here and suck? You might think that at least one or two would be effective right off the bat. Not all of them! If you have the stuff it should work up here too. Unless someone tries to alter something. I always thought that Charlie used them all wrong. They would bring someone up and they’d sit in the pen for a week and come in rusty and not pitch that good and Charlie would have any confidence in them and it would be a never ending cycle. ehhhhhh
      Just some venting thoughts. oh I’m from joisey too!

5. Ryne Duren

August 22, 2013 at 9:57 am

Somebody on one of the post game shows made the comment that Rollins double was a breakout hit! I couldn’t help but think about that phrase “a broken clock is right twice a day”
    The other phrase that comes to mind is the one that Billy Wagner made about Burrel hitting a homer off of him.” the ball found his bat” So breakout is a little premature don’t you think? Hell even mini mart got a hit once in a while. Sooner or later every player will get a hit. Doesn’t mean they’re going to become the next Ty Cobb.
    I’m glad they won and I’m glad M young got the hit and same for Jimmy’s double. But Young had a chance earlier to do some damage with the bases loaded and nobody out. What’s he do? Double freakin play! again. The game against the Dodgers he got a reprieve by Hanley Ramirez making his second error or that would have been a DP also. Geez

• hk

August 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

Of all of RAJ’s perplexing decisions – and there have been a lot – the recent one that may be most perplexing is the decision to not trade Michael Young to the Yankees for salary cap relief plus a wild, young AA pitcher. I haven’t seen this decision questioned in the media, but I would love to know the reason that Young is still a Phillie and looks likely to remain one through the end of this year. My greatest fear in this regard is that RAJ kept him around because he plans to sign Young for next year.

• Ryne Duren

August 22, 2013 at 10:28 am

hk I hear you man. That’s my big fear too!

• Chuck A.

August 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

If paid responsibly and used correctly M Young wouldn’t be the WORST guy to have on the team next year.

• hk

August 22, 2013 at 10:37 am

Chuck A.,

I respectfully disagree. He’s a poor fielding, bad base-running corner IF whose hitting – particularly his power – is declining fast. The only saving grace for Young this year has been a career high BB% that has helped him keep his OBP at .330. I’d rather have Frandsen for that role.

• Chuck A.

August 22, 2013 at 10:47 am

hk- I didn’t say that I was necessarily endorsing his being re-signed. I simply said that, with certain conditions, he wouldn’t be the worst guy to have on your team.

• hk

August 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

Chuck A.,

My point is that Young profiles as being the worst player on any team that plans on contending and even on a minimum veteran’s salary, it’s a bad sign for next year if he’s on the roster. Basically, he’s sucked for the last two seasons.

• George

August 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

The salary relief on Young would have been something like $3 million, which isn’t all that much. And the Phils already have about 3 million wild young pitchers at all levels, including the ML. It’s also still conjecture whether Amaro was even offered a AA reliever, wild or not.

With injuries to Howard and Revere, it’s also likely they needed Young’s warm body to man 1st once in a while when Mayberry was in CF.

I’m not saying that keeping Young was a great move; I’m only indicating that there were probably a number of reasons for doing so. To me, it’s nowhere near as perplexing a decision as adding John McDonald, not releasing Michael Martinez, or keeping the other Young as long as they did.

• Lefty

August 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I like Michael Young, supposedly a good clubhouse vet , decent ballplayer even in his declining years, but I am starting to come around to the idea that he should have been traded. But not to save salary, they can afford him. I also was not excited about the the wild reliever, but I thought there was still a chance they might find another suitor. Now, unless Young is traded in the next week, they get nothing for him, – and a young reliever, wild or not, seems better than nothing.

6. Ryne Duren

August 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

What is it with Cliff Lee? On the post game show Barkann made the comment that he didn’t pitch good basically cause he gave up a run after the Phils scored. Why is it that if Lee doesn’t pitch a complete game 1 hit shutout every time with 10-12 SO’s he didn’t pitch good? I’d take 5 starters with Lee’s ability any day of the week! So what if he gives up a few runs once in a while. Yet on the other hand people except KK’s lousy pitching but that’s ok cause the second half of last year and the first part of this year he pitched way over his head. But as they say the cream rises to the top in baseball over a 162 game schedule. We don’t anoint a pitcher with a split season Cy Young! Hamels get dumped on a lot too because of his record. The reality is he’s a good pitcher who get’s absolutely no run support. Yea he had a few bad games but with just some support his record could be reversed. He’s another guy I wouldn’t mind having 5 of in the rotation. Then again the Phils would never score anything.

• schmenkman

August 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

Agree, Ryne — that’s idiotic.