2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (63-75) vs Nationals (69-68)

Philadelphia Phillies (63-75)
at Washinton Nationals (69-68)

Ethan Martin vs. Gio Gonzalez

TIME: 7:05 ET, Citizens Bank Park
Comcast SportsNet
Weather: 78, Clear
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Tonight’s game in two sentences: All you have to do is look at the lineup for tonight’s game. It’s like the Iron Pigs got on a bus and all came down together.

Lineup: Hernandez 2B, Galvis SS, Frandsen 1B, Ruiz C, Ruf LF, Asche 3B, Mayberry RF, Martinez CF, Martin P

Gameday Beer: Bud Ice

If you’re going to watch that lineup, you need to find one of the most powerful aphrodesiacs available to man. That would be Bud Ice. Hell, I’m not even sure if they still make it, but if they do, go get it. It does NOT go down smooth, and does NOT taste good, but who cares. -PG

1. Pamikedc

September 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

2. Dr. Dave

September 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm

It’s about time we got a SS who will hustle in the lineup.

• schmenkman

September 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Like Rick Schu at third base.

• wbramh

September 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Ah yes, the next Mike Schmidt.
        How does a guy with a .246 lifetime average become a hitting coach on a major league club? I could understand the role of manager or even GM – but hitting coach?

I suppose it’s based on the ability to evaluate mechanics in others rather than exercise them yourself, but still…

Perhaps Schu would have batted below the Mendoza line had he not been such a student of hitting.

• schmenkman

September 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Schu isn’t really unusual as a hitting coach without a lot of MLB success. In late 2011 I wrote up an overview of the hitting coaches at the time, and this is what I found:

8 of the 30 had successful major league careers of at least 5,000 plate appearances, averaging 33 career WAR

9 had respectable careers mostly as backups, with between 1,000 and 5,000 PAs, averaging 5.5 career WAR

5 had only cups of coffee, amounting to less than 1,000 PAs

8 never played in the majors (and 2 of those never played in the minors, either)

3. Andrew From Waldorf

September 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I like the line up.

I really hope Sandberg is the survivor from 2013 and Jimmy is somewhere else next year ( I wish him the best) and of course Ruben is gone.

Nationals are a total disappointment.

The bandwagon fans are already on football.

DC fans some of the worst in the country when it comes to knowledge.

• wbramh

September 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Once football is officially underway Ruben will have the pressure totally off his back.
      It will all be on the Eagles’ defensive coordinator.
      Poor slob.

4. DavidE

September 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Yes, it does sound like the Iron Pigs lineup. But I think it will be interesting to see how they do.

5. Hogey's Role

September 3, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Why the hell isn’t Rupp in the lineup

6. Pamikedc

September 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm

@Hogeys, bc u at least have to have 1 player w MLB experience.

Oh Martin…Ramos of all duds

7. Ken Bland

September 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm

It would be kinda neat to write this ona night where it’s relavant, but honestly, there have been several nights this year where there was a suspicion that it was thee night, and at least from what they announced, the Phils had over 30K on the ledger card.

Earlier this year, April 7, the Phils had their firsrt sub40 crowd since 2009 when they had 36,351 against the Nats on April 29. From that time until late last year, it was off to the races.

So they have a shot at their first sub 40K and first sub 30K crowd since an eternity ago.

Last year, I had a discussion with a very long time Phillies observer, and I asked him for a guess on this year’s smallest crowd. Ironically, his guess matched mine, of a 26K type crowd on a Tuesday night against a Houston like opponent. They still might have a shot at that with early week games against a post Fernandez Miami club, and the almost always non descript Padres, but tonight’s only a small indicator of what the crowds will be like during the week with school back in play. Frankly, over the last couple months, I thought that guess had turned foolish.

We’ll see if any of this is relavant, which would best be validated by going sub 30K tonight. Should they, I’ll always remember it as it was the 3rd of September. That day I’ll always remember. Cause that was the day the gates stayed closed.

• schmenkman

September 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

They’ve had 469 straight games (almost 6 full seasons’ worth) with over 30,000 paid attendance.

The last game under 30,0000 was April 3rd, 2008, which was the last game of the opening series against the Nats.

BTW, in addition to the 469 there were 3 “away” games against the Blue Jays at CBP in 2010, during Toronto’s G20 summit.

The 30,248 last night was the lowest this year (previous low 31,002), and I expect they will fall under the 30k soon, maybe even tonight.

• Ken Bland

September 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I didn’t even check the attendance last night. I didn’t realize it was that low.

For a fine pitching matchup, no less.

• Ken Bland

September 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm

28,826 is the paid attendance at CBP.

As of a week ago, the club’s average per home date was 38K and change. Maybe serious change, but change nonetheless.

I wonder if they might finish under 37K, or a drop of around 17%.

Curious to see what the crowd is tomorrow. Deeper into the week, holiday week that it is, and I would think they would sell a few hundred extra tickets for Doc. I ll say 51-49 they are back over 30.

Are you listening Mr. Montgomery?

You want electric baseball? Billy Hamilton MLB debut, pinch runs, steals a base, and touches home on a Todd Frazier double.

8. Ken Bland

September 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

80 pitches, 40 strikes for Ethan.

9. Double Trouble Del

September 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Orr started his slide 15 feet in front of second base…no wonder he’s a career minor leaguer.

• wbramh

September 3, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Maybe Orr thought he was back in Little League.
      Or else he lost the base path in the lights.

10. Ken Bland

September 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm

It’s a shame people around here don’t realize how talented I am. I’ve flipped the dial on occasion, stopped at the TV preachers channels, checked out their routines, and accurately concluded I could do better than most of those boys. Do they even have tv preacher girls?

I’ve also checked out many of the philly.com polls along the multi-month ride as a fan of the fun and games department, and came to the rightful realization that I could write better poll questions.

What a dream life, scribe polls M-F, and preach on the day of their Sabbath. How much better do it get?

But alas, with the high powered iq that exsists around here, I cain’t fool them into thinking I’m as talented as I claim, so………

here, by the power bestowed in me is tomorrow’s poll question for the masses.

Which Phillie is most likely to be back in 2014?

a/ Da Rube

b/ Chooooooch

c/ Minnie Martinez

• wbramh

September 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm

c) Mini Mart. Speaking of unholy broadcast revivals, he’s the Jason Vorhees of baseball.

• Lefty

September 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Until “a” is gone, “c” will be here.

11. Ken Bland

September 4, 2013 at 9:34 am

Some poll queries are presented to solicit opinions, some are designed to see who has their facts straight.

Kudos to the wide array of participants who contributed on the respondent side, and showed they know the facts.

Minnie will survive us all.