Halladay Leaves in 1st Inning with Arm Fatigue – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Halladay Leaves in 1st Inning with Arm Fatigue

APTOPIX Phillies Marlins BaseballAfter just 16 pitches, Rich Dubee ran to the mound to check on Roy Halladay. There was nothing to be said. Halladay’s night, and possibly his career, was through.

Ryne Sandberg joined Dubee and after a few words spoken between the men on the mound, Halladay walked to the dugout with his head down, his face red, dripping with sweat. The Phillies are calling it right arm fatigue.

From the moment he took the mound, Halladay had little to give. His maximum effort was an 83 mph fastball.

And is there something more to it? Halladay has looked noticeably frail over the past few seasons, starting with his outing in Chicago a few seasons ago when he left with heat exhaustion.

The question becomes, what now? If this is the final time we’ve seen Halladay take the mound, it’s certainly not how he – or Phillies fans for that matter – envisioned the end. But it is a sad reality. Halladay’s arm, with over 40,000 regular season pitches on it, has seem better days.  Are there any more pitches left to be thrown?

1. JJF

September 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I have been thinking since last year that there is something systemically wrong with Roy. Even game before last he looked gaunt, and he barely made 5 innings. Hopefully nothing serious but maybe a thyroid issue, or even low blood sugar. I hope there’s been some focus on ALL systems of Roy. After all, he IS a person and not just an arm.

• wbramh

September 24, 2013 at 3:07 am

I won’t repeat what I’ve been harping on about Roy’s questionable health (beyond his shoulder) since Spring of last year.
      Just want to agree with you – especially the part about him being “a person and not just and arm.”
      This is not an orthopedic problem for the team’s favorite surgeon to fix.
      It should be crystal clear by now.

• Ryne Duren

September 24, 2013 at 8:14 am

Yes wbramh I think you’re exactly right. In fact I brought up a while ago what I thought it was. A parasite from his South American fishing trip. It saps your strength over a period of time. My brothers girlfriend went into a river there to swim and that was over three years ago. It took a year to finally get diagnosed, and even on medication for a year she’s still not right. Doc to me has the same look on him that she had. I’m not a doctor that’s for sure but you don’t have to be one to notice as you said “it’s nor orthopedic”. And I for one don’t think the Phils medical staff is up for the challenge to diagnose his problem. He needs a real professional team to look at him.

2. Hogey's Role

September 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

All the best to you Roy!!! I hope you pull through good doctor

3. Lisa

September 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Roy…you will prevail. Have faith …rest and rehab over the winter. You will pitch again. Have faith. I do!

4. Ken Bland

September 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This post is really poorly timed considering the circumstances. Let’s just say that arm fatigue with the Doc’s physical appearance doesn’t seem to match up. So the inclination is there’s something lager than a baseball career that imprints the stream of thought.

So to ease my own consciousness, apologies for the following.

Long story reasonably short, I’ve had a problem with this “all these pitches Doc has thrown” that’s been tossed around of late. Seems like the old timers would have had throwm more.

Pitch counts from the last couple decades or so are probably accurate. Before that, it’s who you trust to have made good guesses.

I’ll offer this link to compare Doc’s estimated 40,000 throws that if anyone’s interested, they can see the 40k is indeed a lot. If that’s the only problem, it’s sad enough.

Here’s the link.

5. Morris Buttermaker

September 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm

With this news, Amaro is probably going to knock a year or two off the extension to Doc. Maybe only a 4 year deal.

6. Buffalo Bill

September 23, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Amaro places the lotion in the basket or he gets the hose again.

7. jd

September 23, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I have felt for a long time that Roy caught something when he went on that trip to the Amazon (think that was the place). His arm or shoulder may be hurt or just worn down, but to see him get totally gassed more than once makes you wonder.

• wbramh

September 24, 2013 at 3:13 am

A trip to the Amazon and illness contracted from that trip led to Teddy Roosevelt’s death. Maybe Teddy had sports rehab specialists looking at his shoulder when they should have been looking for a systemic infection.

• Johanna

September 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

Yea that does make you wonder – good point.

8. Bob in Bucks

September 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I just don’t want to wonder about Roy anymore. Let him go elsewhere and hopefully do a lot better. Let Amaro redeploy that $20 mil.

9. Chuck A.

September 24, 2013 at 7:28 am

I feel very lucky to have seen this great man pitch. My son and I were at the no-hitter against the Reds in the playoffs and it’s one of our most cherished memories.

• schmenkman

September 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

To me, the single biggest Phillies highlight since 2008.

I hope his doctors figure this out and he pitches well for a few more years, whatever the name is on the front of the shirt.

• Johanna

September 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

I am right there with you. Other than Steve Carlton, I thought Doc was the greatest pitcher I have ever seen. I makes me very sad to see that he has declined so quickly. I did feel he rushed back (or they rushed him back) without allowing that injury to fully heal after the operation.

• Lefty

September 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

I think we’re all very lucky, we witnessed a short period of greatness.

10. Dave

September 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

Yes, 34 is pretty young to decline so drastically. Of course injuries and illnesses will do that to you.

• Lefty

September 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

Dave, not to be nit-picky, but he’s 36. He almost won his second straight CY award when he was 34. But it was that same year that he had that incident in Chicago when he had to leave the game early, and at 35 (last year) he was struggling. So you’re close.

11. George

September 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm

As usual, the amateur doctors are at it.

Halladay has probably been tested and checked for almost everything, simply because he makes his living by being in shape physically.

He did have a virus recently which caused some weight loss. He’s also still recovering from surgery.

I’ll wait until something is actually confirmed before speculating about some exotic jungle disease. I’ll also won’t be comparing his problems to those of a man (Teddy R.) who suffered back when there were very few accurate diagnostic proceedures and before there were even any decent antibiotics.

• Chuck A.

September 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

We have amateur doctors, junior psychologists, GM wannabees on here….you name it. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone actually thinks they could be President of the United States, too.

• George

September 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Well, I know I couldn’t be president. Dictator of the US, maybe; president, no.

• Smitty

September 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Chuck…in case you haven’t noticed some blogger took that job and he is doing a miserable job even with his teleprompter too….

12. PATRICIA

September 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I FEEL SO BAD FOR ROY HALLADAY HURTING AN ARM IS NO FUN I WORK THE BALL PARK I HAVE TOG ET SURGERY A PIN HAS TO BE IN MY ARM BUT THEY SAID IF YOU LIFT IT COULD POP AND SURGERY AGAIN I RATHER WORK AND DO MY EXCERISES ON RAINY DAYS IT HURTS I WISH ROY HALLADAY AND GET WELL HIS LIFE IS MORE INPORTANT FOR HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN

THANK YOU DOC HALLADAY YOU WERE THE MAN FOR US ITS A SHAME YOU GOTTEN ENJURED