2014 Gameday

Gameday 19: Phillies at Dodgers

dodgers_logoPhiladelphia Phillies (8-10) at Los Angeles Dodgers (12-7)

Starting Pitchers:
PHI: Cliff Lee
LAD: Paul Maholm

Time: 10:05, Dodger Stadium
Weather: Sunny, 73
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

Ryne Sandberg is giving three Phillies starters the night off Monday as they open up a four-game set against the Dodgers out west. John Mayberry Jr. gets the nod in right in favor of Marlon Byrd, while Tony Gwynn Jr. will man center field and Freddy Galvis the hot corner, with Ben Revere and Cody Asche getting a day off. It makes sense, as Byrd, Asche and Revere are just a combined 6-for-34 (.176) off Dodgers’ starter Paul Maholm lifetime.

Carlos Ruiz, who has yet to drive in a run this season, will bat cleanup tonight, with Ryan Howard moving down to fifth. The move may prove to be a spark for Ruiz, as he will get  chance to hit behind a red-hot Utley, who is a career .333 hitter against Maholm in 27 at bats.

Maholm has started 12 games against the Phillies in his career with mixed results, as he comes in with a 5-3 record and 4.63 ERA against the Phils in 70 innings of work. Cliff Lee, who is coming off a 13-strikeout, complete game performance against Atlanta will look to continue his masterful pitching against LA, who he has handled very well in his career. Lee is 2-2 with a 1.70 ERA against the Dodgers lifetime, with 55 strikeouts in 53 innings.

Gwynn Jr. CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Ruiz C / Howard 1B / Mayberry RF / Brown LF / Galvis 3B / Lee P

1. Andrew from Waldorf

April 21, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Nice piece with Matt stairs before the game.

Still my all time #1 Phillies moment.

Hope the Dodgers use Broxton tonight!

Go fightin Phillies!!!!!

• Hogey's Role

April 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

He’s not with the dodgers anymore

2. Vinnie

April 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm

these replays are getting ridiculous. I would just make the rule that the players have to challenge the play, and it has to immediate. If the manager steps on the field, the play stands.

It’s wasting so much time…

3. Morris Buttermaker

April 22, 2014 at 12:27 am

Cliff Lee dealing is a beautiful thing.

4. Andrew from Waldorf

April 22, 2014 at 1:00 am

I know Broxton is with the Reds.

The replay situation is a disgrace.

I never liked ti to begin with.

Winner winner chicken dinner

I am thinking Super bowl for our Phils

Keep up the good work Ruben!!!

5. brooks

April 22, 2014 at 4:38 am

Replay is a disgrace Andrew – one of the most appealing features of the game has always been the moment when you yell, “Your mudder wears combat boots!!” or some insult along those lines.. gone

6. Chuck A.

April 22, 2014 at 6:39 am

Replay is a complete joke. The “human element” that made baseball unique has now been messed with. Plus…yeah….I thought they wanted to SHORTEN games….

7. schmenkman

April 22, 2014 at 8:09 am

If the “human element” means calls get missed, and sometimes affect the outcome of a game, I am not going to miss it. And I don’t mind a few more minutes per game to get calls right (I was never in the “games are too long” camp anyway).

But the way the process currently works leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully MLB is taking notes and they will refine it in the future.

• Chuck A.

April 22, 2014 at 8:27 am

Well, they need to do something then. This whole thing of a manager going out to the field and looking into the dugout for the thumbs up or down is kind of silly. Not sure how they could do it any different. I just don’t like it. I guess I’m a little old-fashioned and like the drama of a good rhubarb between manager and umpire….even if it means that the umpire is wrong.

• Hogey's Role

April 22, 2014 at 8:49 am

I agree with schmenkman i’d rather have the calls be right, famous calls like the don dekinger, or however it’s spelled, always help me reinforce my thinking

8. jeff orbach

April 22, 2014 at 8:17 am

I don’t mind the replay at all-in fact I personally enjoyed the other day when Joe West was overuled on a play he was right on top of.It’s interesting how many good calls they make, but more interesting how many they miss.

• photoFred

April 22, 2014 at 9:03 am

Joe West wrong? Never!
      Someone is going to pay for that challenge.

April 22, 2014 at 10:39 am

IMO- Replay should be challenged from the dugout. Agree with Chuck, there is simply no need for a manager to go out. Let the manager talk on the phone and get word first hand. Heck, just put a monitor in the damn dugout.

But I am all for getting the calls right, no matter how they have to do it.

10. bacardipr

April 22, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Just realized Broxton is only 30 yo. Boy some memorable games.