Analysis

Gameday 9: Brewers vs. Phillies

phillies

other

Milwaukee Brewers (6-2) at Philadelphia Phillies (3-5)

Starting Pitchers:
PHI: LHP Cliff Lee (2-0, 6.00)
vs.
MIL: RHP Marco Estrada (0-0, 1.59)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Sunny, 66
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

Chase Utley is back in the lineup after a short absence due to the flu. He was available to be a late inning pinch hitter last night if the situation called for it. As you know, it didn’t.

The Phillies cannot afford to lose this game and get swept at home by Milwaukee. Cliff Lee represents their best chance at victory, although he’s going up against a decent pitcher in Marco Estrada.

Lineup:

Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Howard 1B / Byrd RF / Brown LF / Ruiz C / Asche 3B / Lee P

1. Hogey's Role

April 10, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Welcome back chase!!!
    Looks like a good pitching matchup

Go phillies!!!

2. Andrew from Waldorf

April 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

This I not the best team I have ever followed.

I really believe Ruben Amaro and the Phillies could have spent their $180,000,000.00 more wisely.

• Ken Bland

April 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm

There’s a book, um…yeah, The Bible, think it’s divided into Chapters, one of which is The Book of Revelations. That book is old, probably never made the NYT Best Seller List because it pre-dated it. Seems to me like AFW is trying to come up with new revelations to inspire a new version.

Here’s the good news….

credit to Todd Zolecki through Elias…

Phils have allowed 10 unearned runs in 3 consecutive games for first time since they allowed 10 from July 26-29, 2008. Went 3-0 then.

And the bad news…

Friday’s pitching matchup…. Fernandes V Burnett

Good night nurse.

Re Howard, funny how nary a soul assessed leadership to the guy’s quotes. What the bleep is he supposed to say? Borrow a quote from Papelbon? Get in a negative mindset as he prepares for a game? I assume the quotes are from this afternoon. No way the scribes sat on that overnight. If I’m his teammate, I’d feel better hearing/reading that. The guy is NOT stupid. He knows there’s been a lot of bad baseball of late. Now how good the club can be, I dunno….fair? But they aren’t this bad as the last 3 games inarguably show they can be..

Geez, I hope Mike Adams can contribute. It’d be a huge, huge lift. I only wish I were confident his body’d cooperate. Body’d is one weird assed contraction.

• Andrew from Waldorf

April 10, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Have I mentioned this is not the best team I have ever spent time viewing?

3-1 in the 6th feels like 300-1

The Brewers are enjoying themselves.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

April 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

If Chase plays well enough maybe can trade him to a contender.

Him and Lee deserve a chance to contend at some point.

• Mike in NJ

April 10, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Chase is now a 5/10 guy. Can’t trade him without permission. Phils would have to eat a hefty portion of that contract if they expect to get any value back, assuming you even trust Ruin to not get a bag of magic beans back.

Chase being back is good, but the problem the last two nights was the pitching and defense giving up 10 and 9 runs. TBH they still lose last two nights even with him in the lineup.

• wbramh

April 11, 2014 at 12:09 am

What if we keep Chase, Cliff & Marlon, turn them into the New King and His Court and dump everyone else?

Right… sorry. We’ll need Chooch to catch the ball from Cliff.

4. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Feeling good about tonight’s game…Clifford on the mound, the Man back in the line-up…of course, I felt that way the past two games am they unfolded into a slow motion multi-car wreck.

5. Brooks

April 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Looks like a typical Phillies game in the past few years – no runs no excitement

6. Brooks

April 10, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Inept – unbelievable

7. Brooks

April 10, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Get Ready Andrew – taking the lead here!

8. Trell

April 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

No bullpen no playoffs

• Hogey's Role

April 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Ha we need a lot more than a bullpen to make the playoffs

9. Mike in NJ

April 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

What’s the bullpen ERA up to now? 3 more runs allowed in the 7th inning. I wonder how many more runs they’ll surrender. Oh well, time to change channels.

10. Scotty Ingerton

April 10, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This will be seven consecutive home losses dating back to last September.

11. Andrew from Waldorf

April 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Playoffs???????????

Jim Mora you are needed.

Brooks I am about ranted out. Been many years ive seen it coming and people yelled at me for it.

I reserve my 10-15 rants for the 10-15 games that Paplebum blows in the 9th.

When you think about how bad this team.
    Consider the highest paid reliever ever is going to blow 10-15 possible wins for a 60-70 win team.

Way to go ruben.

• Hogey's Role

April 10, 2014 at 9:42 pm

The way things are going I’m not sure pimplebomb will get another 10-15 opportunities