2014 Gameday

Gameday 51: Mets at Phillies

New York Mets (24-28) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (23-27)

Starting Pitchers:
NYM: Zack Wheler (1-5, 4.63)
PHI: David Buchanan (1-0, 3.60)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Cloudy, 64
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight: The Phillies are coming off a wild walk-off victory.  They will look to continue the momentum with rookie David Buchanan on the mound.  Buchanan, or Buck as they call him, is coming off his first Major League win.

Zack Wheeler has been given a lot of hype, but he has yet to find his groove in the big leagues.  Wheeler has been a top prospect in the Mets’ organization, and found his way to the majors last season.  The 23-year-old has been scouted as the Mets’ next ace, but has yet to pitch more than six innings in 2014.

1. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Here we go.

The biggest series of all time.

Come on Phils you can do this.

The anticipation is over.

Let the games begin.

You can do this.

WIn Rocky win

2. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 7:24 pm

You can feel the excitement in the air.

Is it a sell out tonight?

I am going to guess average over 40 000 for this 5 game series!!!

This is what baseball is about.

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. lefty

May 29, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Biggest series of all time? Um, why? It’s only May my friend.

4. Derek Jeter

May 29, 2014 at 7:48 pm

You’d think they were playing Us.

5. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Its a 5 gamer between 2 storied franchises.

Unfortunately through 5

The Phillies are playing up to their potential ( or lack there of).

The Mets are almost as bad as the Phillies though.

So I am remaining hopeful.

6. wbramh

May 29, 2014 at 8:56 pm

What was going through Hernandez’a head when he threw to 2nd instead of forcing out the runner headed to 3rd? Marshmallows?

Maybe Utley should call time between every play so he can explain to a couple of teammates what base to throw to… and also have them point just to make sure they understood him.

• wbramh

May 29, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Zach Wheeler came into the game having the 12th lowest ERA on the Mets this season. This game should move him up a few notches. I bet he’d love to pitch game #5 of the series, too.

7. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 9:18 pm

The bad defense is to be expected.

Wheeler has been terrible.

But lets face it he faced the Phillies tonight.

This is the MEts so I am holding out hope .

Normally at 4-0 its over.

I wont mention howard.

But why do people yell at me when he does what he did last night?

He is supposed to do that on occasion.

Sadly he does it too infrequently and nights like tonight are much more likely.

The mets announcers are basically ridiculing and laughing at him.

8. wbramh

May 29, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I fear you’re going to be down $50 tonight, Andrew.

9. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I would agree.

So this is not good.

Really Bastardo is enough. already.

I am a little worried the mets may take 4 or 5 of these.

We did this because the guy I bet with understands how awful the mets are. On a par with the Phillies. We figured at best one team wins 3 games to 2. And you get 50 bucks.

I am worried I could lose 150 or 250 now.

10. Andrew from waldorf

May 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm

that was vintage Phils

Rgiht down to the Rollins Utley Howard strike out of the side in the 9th.

Oh I made a bad bet.

I thought the mets miight be as bad as the Phils.

Clearly they are not to a Phillies level.

gotta get them tomorrow!

Congrats to Howard on the golden sombrero.

11. Scotty Ingerton

May 29, 2014 at 10:09 pm

4 hits, 0 walks, 15 strikeouts. Yikes. Where’s Boone Logan when you really need him?