News

Ruf Recalled, Replaces Lee on Roster

Let’s all welcome back Darin Ruf. He has been recalled to the Phillies as the team places Cliff Lee on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow strain.

Ruf, activated from the DL last week, hit .316 with a home run and two RBI for the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. While Ruf should help the bench, it does not fill the void left in the rotation. That means another move is on it’s way.

The likely candidate to get the start in Lee’s spot is David Buchanan. He’s 5-1 with a 3.98 ERA at Lehigh Valley this year and is scheduled to make his next start this weekend.

1. Jael

May 21, 2014 at 11:23 am

Gt will soon cliff lee ♥.
    cliff lee will coming back and be the best ever if the phillies trade him it be a bad move brown or ben Revere need to be trade gave cliff lee two or one year if the phillies long as the phillies keep jimmy Rollins on top ruiz number 2 thing i can see world series this year if cliff lee keep up the fight

2. lefty

May 21, 2014 at 11:31 am

This is a bit of a puzzling move to me. I guess I just assumed that a pitcher would be brought up to replace Lee. Oh well, you know what they say about assumption. Is there any chance this means they don’t make another move and just give Manship an opportunity?

• Hogey's Role

May 21, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I would bet they make another move before Saturday and call Buchanan up to start, maybe they’ll get rid of Mayberry finally?

• Lefty

May 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I don’t know after the 2 run base hit last night. I would hope they might be able to find a trade partner for him. Maybe get a low level prospect or something?

• Hogey's Role

May 21, 2014 at 7:43 pm

That would be nice, I would love that, but idk if they’ll be able to find any suitors to be honest with you…

3. TimC

May 21, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Time to call up Oswalt and Halladay and convince them to come out of retirement…

If Manship is really the best option, we aren’t going to make a run. Hernandez is already borderline start material. Buchanan would likely be the true best opttion, but they may not want to start his clock and mess up his development.

4. lilwengs

May 21, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Should Ruf replace Brown? Brown’s performance is paltry.

5. photoFred

May 21, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I’m glad Ruf is back; I hope he can make up for the loss of Lee’s bat in the lineup. 😉