2014 Gameday

Gameday 101: Giants at Phillies

San Francisco Giants (56-44) at Philadelphia Phillies (43-57)

Starting Pitchers:
SFG: Madison Bumgarner (11-7, 3.38)
PHI: A.J Burnett (6-9, 4.08)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Thunder storms, 88
Media: Twitter and Facebook

A Note for Tonight:

Both teams are looking for its starter to go deep into tonight’s game after a 14 inning affair last night. That might be a bit easier for the Giants who send Madison Bumgarner to the mound. Away from his home park of AT&T field Bumgarner is sporting a 1.94 ERA this season. However, in his career against the Phillies Bumgarner has compiled a 4.05 ERA.

This could be the last game Phillies fans see A.J. Burnett in red pinstripes. This will be his last start before the July 31st non waiver trade deadline, and the right hander is garnering some serious interest from the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates will have scouts at tonight’s game, as will a handful of other teams. Here’s hoping tonight ends in a nice timely fashion!

Lineup: Revere CF / Rollins SS / Utley 2B / Byrd RF / Ruiz C / Brown LF / Ruf 1B / Blanco 3B / Burnett P

1. Hogey's Role

July 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Here’s hoping aj looks lights out tonight…

July 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I’m watching ESPN tonight. Ruf needs to stretch some on close plays

• Hogey's Role

July 23, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Thanks lefty, I didn’t know the game was on….
      Just my luck though, I flip it over to espn and catch 3-4 pitches and now a rain delay…. Lol go figure

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 23, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thanks, Lefty! I also was unaware. However, we got a game day thread back!

3. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 8:08 pm

OK, just got home. Did I miss anything? Nope.

4. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I’m out in King of Prussia, and the rain and thunder have already hit here.

5. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

… and now the rain is at the ballpark.

6. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 8:13 pm

HA!!! They’re showing Phillies Nation during the rain delay.

7. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Game is back in action! Well, as much action as you can get out of the Phils.

8. Tracey

July 23, 2014 at 9:25 pm

their pitcher has a better batting average than most of our batters.

July 23, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I think Chase pushed him off of second base, lol

July 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Nice AJ

July 23, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I’ll take only 4 times caught stealing in 101 games. Aggressive play still leaves the bat in Rollins hands.

July 23, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Sutcliff says Amaro deserves a chance to “put the club back together” Comppared him to Sabien after Bonds retired.

• schmenkman

July 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Interesting comparison. Many see Sabean as no better than Amaro, but with better luck, and that sounds right to me.

• Lefty

July 23, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Chooch is back.

• Lefty

July 23, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Oops chooch comment in the wrong spot. But yeah, I think they’re comparable and Sabien has been much luckier. Amaro has made his share of mistakes, but his scouts didnt find him any Bumgarners or Poseys

July 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Wow, they’re not trying to protect their trade chip very well-almost 130 pitches so far.

July 23, 2014 at 10:33 pm

You won’t see the other first baseman doing that.

• Mike in NJ

July 23, 2014 at 10:38 pm

No doubt!

15. Mike in NJ

July 23, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Jeebus is there a stat on how many times the Phillies have struck out with a man on 3rd and less than two outs, and where do they rank?

• schmenkman

July 23, 2014 at 10:57 pm

There is that stat, and the Phils are 2nd highest in the NL (behind Miami), at 23.7% of the time.

More importantly though, they’re actually somewhat better than average at getting the runner home from 3rd with less than 2 out. The NL average is 50%, and the Phils are 4th best in the NL at 52%.

16. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 23, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Blanco cannot be the best the team had as an infield sub! He shouldn’t be on a major league roster anywhere! Wait, this is also the same GM that let Mini-Mart and Man-junk play and pitch on a major league roster. The lack of logic that comes down from Ruin , .300 Monty, and our scouting department is amazing! I’m so frustrated.

July 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Your frustaton is duly noted, probably not the best time for you to venture to western N.Y.

• Hogey's Role

July 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Western ny is a beautiful place though, lol

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 23, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Maybe I can convince Howard to re-enact my famous train ride up there. Lol.

• wbramh

July 24, 2014 at 12:17 am

Howard’s salary has us over a barrel, Big Ed.
        But if we could just push the barrel over the Horseshoe Falls….

July 23, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Lets go f’ing eat

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 23, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Pence states, as he turns the knife in the Phillies back, yet again. “Et tu, Pence?”

19. Andrew from waldorf

July 23, 2014 at 11:09 pm

At least I am against Paplebomb in fantasy this week.

I am also stashng Giles waiting for Paplebomb to be traded.

I will miss Howard.

I will miss the good Howard.

Unfortunately haven’t seen him since the NLCS in 2009.

20. Double Trouble Del

July 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

The Tigers just picked up Soria for tha same prospects the Phillies were scouting . Looks like Papelbon could finish the year here.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 23, 2014 at 11:17 pm

More than likely. Nobody wants a closer with declining velocity that is owed 13 million a year, plus vesting options, no matter how well he has performed this year. Plus, he’s a tool shed of a person. With these hideous contracts, we are stuck with most of these guys.

• Psu joe

July 23, 2014 at 11:28 pm

That’s what RAJ wanted. Oh, I’m stuck. Bee can compete, done !

21. Morris Buttermaker

July 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Just fire everybody at this point.

The whole team is a disgrace.

22. aruiz4927 .

July 23, 2014 at 11:24 pm

The deadline can’t come fast enough

• Morris Buttermaker

July 23, 2014 at 11:27 pm

This team is plenty dead.

• wbramh

July 24, 2014 at 12:19 am

The end can’t come fast enough.

23. Double Trouble Del

July 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm

The deadline will come and go with nary a whimper.

• Lefty

July 24, 2014 at 11:26 am

I hope you’re wrong, but tend to feel the same way.

24. Psu joe

July 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Yep, overload Paps to reduce his value. A bunch if morons. Wtf

25. Andrew from waldorf

July 23, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Yes somehow diminish Paplebbore.

Pitch him 2 innings last night.

then tonight use him in a non save situation.

Really he should have been used seldom this week.

Only in save situations.

I used to go on rants about this crap.

About how dreadful the organization is.

But it just who they are to the core the last 4 years.

Ive given up on the rants and I really don’t care much. I still watch because I love baseball and the Phillies.

but why diminish an asset a week before the trade deadline?

This team is a DISGRRACE

Good bye Howard.

At least that’s something.

Eat the 35 million owed him in 15 and 16.

Team will have a better chance to win this year.

I am still holding onto a dream they may finish ahead of the Mets

That’s how stupid I am.

• Lefty

July 24, 2014 at 11:32 am

Not 35m dude-
      It’s 50m for 2015 and ’16, then 10 to get out of 2017- you don’t get off that easy. 60 big ones baby- 60

The good news is they don’t have to worry about the 25k bonus for all star game selections. 🙂

26. Morris Buttermaker

July 23, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Anybody know if we can get a heartbeat out of Ryne Sandberg?

This is the most lifeless boring team I have ever seen.

These guys couldn’t get runs at Arby’s,

• wbramh

July 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Personally I prefer the Earl Weaver type of manager but it’s not PC these days to yell at your players (especially veterans) when they don’t know how to bunt, don’t run out grounders, don’t draw walks, run the wrong outfield patterns, lob the ball back to the infield while the batter is turning a single into a double, throw to the wrong base, don’t stretch for the ball at 1st, etc etc.

I’m not ready to give up on Ryno – perhaps because the Phillies made that mistake once before. But also because he simply hasn’t had a chance between the hand he was dealt and the short time he’s had to (maybe) learn from his own mistakes. Stengel never managed anything better than a .500 team for the first 10 years of his management career. I’d think Ryno deserves at least 3 full years, especially since he inherited a once great team actively engaged in death spiral when he put on the uniform – and no talent on the farm.

• Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm

My problem with Ryno is that the young players on these team are brutal. Byrd, Utley, Rollins, Lee, Hamels and Burnet have not need much managing.

But I have just seen some read headscratchers with the way he treats the young players on this team. Like last night having Ruf bunt to set up Blanco. Dom Brown has completely regressed this season. Sandberg is here for the young guys. And they have been useless for the most part with the exception of Asche, Giles and Diekmann.

Sandberg is a legend in Chicago. And that is a team desperate for positive news. I still want to know why the Cubs passed him over. And like you said, Amaro has dealt him a bad hand, so why are acting like Sandberg was a good move? If he has made so many other bad moves, why is Sandberg protected.

• wbramh

July 24, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Morris: Points well taken. Sandberg has made some head-scratchers that you wouldn’t even expect from a first year manager. I want to give him some slack knowing that he’s probably making some dumb moves in desperation or simply to shake up his sleeping troops.

And yes, there’s no reason to assume Ruben had one of his few epiphanies when he brought Sandberg in to manage the club. But Ruben has made some reasonable moves even if they were accidental – like picking up Byrd as an interim solution in right field – and luring AJ Burnett here wasn’t a bad decision even though AJ has had some bad moments. I would only argue with Burnett’s contract structure (like so many others) but those back-loaded traps may be the only lure Ruben has to land a free agent with value these days.

So we’ll see with Sandberg. I would certainly agree that Ryno’s managerial skills need to dramatically improve and soon if he expects to retain his job for the duration of his current contract. I sense the current ownership team may not be around for the duration of that contract. You can bet a new owner won’t be tied to anyone on the field or in the dugout.