2014 Game Recaps

Franco Makes MLB Debut as Kendrick Shuts Down Braves

Philadelphia Phillies v St. Louis Cardinals

Following Monday’s combined no-hitter, Kyle Kendrick kept the Brave’s offense in check once again by allowing only three hits in one of his best starts of the season.

Kendrick threw seven innings of shutout baseball while striking out four and walking two against a struggling Brave’s offense, and led the Phillies to their 10th victory in their last 14 games.

Kendrick escaped a couple of jams, most notably in the first inning, which has been the toughest inning for the righty this season. After loading the bases, Kendrick was able to strike out Evan Gattis and Chris Johnson to end the inning.

maikel-franco-acbfe5b074b8992cKendrick was backed by Carlos Ruiz, who hit his fifth homer of the season and finished with two RBIs. Darin Ruf and September call-up Maikel Franco also contributed RBIs in the win.

Franco, who is the Phillies’ top prospect, is expected to see plenty of playing time at both first and third base during the last month of the season, and is expected to get about 50-60 at-bats.

Time to see what the kids got.

1. Andrew from waldorf

September 3, 2014 at 1:03 am

Winner winner
    chicken dinner

The mets won.

The pete Rose disgrace is some now relevant.

2. bacardipr05

September 3, 2014 at 2:54 am

Im going over to Andrew;s i bet he has a bunch of chicken dinner’s.

• Hogey's Role

September 3, 2014 at 7:12 am

If you can stomach some of the leftovers

• George

September 3, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I’m tired of chicken. I wish he’d say “Winner, winner, lobster dinner.” Then I’d be more tempted.

3. Dave

September 3, 2014 at 9:27 am

Didn’t know Darin Ruf was still on the team.

• photoFred

September 3, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I know what you mean. Ruf’s situation begs the question: When does what a player actually does on the field trump all the “not an everyday player” evaluations by the questionably competent organizational stiffs. I mean, the guy is not Lou Gehrig, but he hits.

Can you imagine his frustration?

• Dave

September 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm

No I can’t. As far as I know the guy hasn’t complained one iota either. As Ben Davis said on Post Game Live the other day, it’s laughable at this point. The only thing that makes any amount of sense is if they are playing Brown and hoping he hits a little by the end of the year to give them a small trade option. Right now, I’m thinking he’s not worth much of anything.

• photoFred

September 3, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Dom was a can’t miss prospect. Ruff was not. Dom plays, Ruf watches.
        Only one of them is hitting. What’s wrong with this picture?

• wbramh

September 3, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Dave – I think you’re right about management hoping Brown can raise his numbers enough to be worth something to another team. But if I were that other team, at this point he would have to go 3 for 4 in every game for the rest of the season for me to even have a passing thought of taking the chance. Even then, I’d have to weigh in the fact that he’s a defensive liability – and Brown himself claimed his diminished performance was further reduced due to time on the bench.

In other words, Brown is worthless at this point… and I say that even though I believe he does possess a one-tool talent. A minor league quality player might have one or two good series in a row at the major league level; Brown had 6 weeks of all-star caliber play (at least offensively). A player can’t do that without talent. But nobody, not even Amaro would deny that Brown is a head case, and while I wouldn’t bet against him someday recreating his brief, shining moment, that’s only because I don’t gamble.

The Phillies would consider themselves lucky if Detroit thought Wally Joyner could turn him around again and were willing to take that chance… provided the Phillies paid for it.

• schmenkman

September 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

wb, I don’t think Brown is a headcase. He’s the starter as far as he knows, yet he’s not playing.

In the second half, he has hit as well or better than Howard, Asche, Utley, and Byrd.

Judging by the rest of his career, I tend to see his first half as an aberration, maybe as much so as May-June 2013.

Other than those two periods, I think we see a baseline in his performance (using OPS):

.725 – 2011
        .712 – 2012
        .713 – 2013 excluding his May-June streak
        .723 – 2014 excluding the first half

Of course, low 700s OPS is not good enough for a bad defensive corner outfielder, but there is some value for any team (including the Phils) as at least a bench bat, with the possibility that the potential of a former top prospect and that he will have streaks like May-Jun 2013 occasionally.

• schmenkman

September 4, 2014 at 8:35 am

missed some words:

*with the possibility that the potential of a former top prospect _will be realized_ and that he will have streaks like May-Jun 2013 occasionally.

4. jeff orbach

September 4, 2014 at 8:53 am

With all due respect-I’ve never liked Brown that much, even during his streak, due to his poor fielding.

What’s frustrating about it to me, is that he seems to be fast enough and has a good arm, he just doesn’t have the instincts to know when to put it in high gear.

As an example, in LHV I saw him misplay a fly ball into a double, that’s not the first time that’s ever happened to anyone.What bothered me about it was how long it took for him to realize the ball was past him and how he jogged after it, not running hard.