News

Pete Mackanin out as manager for 2018

The Phillies have announced earlier today that Pete Mackanin will not manage in 2018. This comes after General Manager Matt Klentak extended Mackanin for a one-year deal into next year on

May 11. Mackanin will manage the final three games at home against the Mets. His new role within the organization will be a Special Assistant to the General Manager. Mackanin took over after Ryne Sandberg resigned in June of 2015, compiling a 172-237 record in parts of three seasons.

1. Bill Worth

September 29, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Sad, I liked Pete !!!!

2. Roy Whittaker Abington Pennsylvania

September 29, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Aw we really liked Pete for sure.
    Good luck Pete

3. Larry Irving

September 29, 2017 at 4:23 pm

I like Pete, was too soft when players were less than 100%

4. Betasigmadeltashag

September 29, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I liked the guy but he was not what this team needs going toward. He was terrible at handling the bull pen. And not a great in game guy. He was a good place holder for a transitioning team. And I’m glad he will still be with the organization. I really feel even though he has 0 experience and is still playing, they should roll the dice and convince Chooch to move off the field onto the bench as manager. As well as pay get Davy Lopes from Washington (which I can’t believe I’m saying I want a Dodger back on the Phillies).
    But this is a great step to The off season,

5. bruce

September 29, 2017 at 5:39 pm

This come as a bit of surprise (for me) after his contract was extended for another year as manager. I read he was well liked by the players and there was no language barrier in communicating with many of those who were Latin Americans. I guess the general manager expected better results for this season. Never mind the injuries and the lesser talents of players that Mackanin had been dealt with.

The obvious question now is who will be the next manager that has knowledge of the players he has on hand and how well can he communicate with them.

6. Ken Bland

September 29, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Buck Showalter. Without a doubt.

7. bruce

September 29, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Here is a name to consider for Phillies’ next manager: Dusty Wathan, the highly reputable coach of the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Wathan is the winningest manager in Double-A Reading’s history and this is important, he has coached a majority of the young talent that are now on the Phillies roster. This would be a good internal fit from the Phillies point of view.

8. Keg

September 29, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I know how most of you feel, but I think losing Bowa is a major loss for the organization. You can’t coddle all the time. Sometimes you need kicked in the butt, and Larry wasn’t afraid to do it. I hope if it is Wathan; he keeps Bowa. He’ll need a good bench coach. I like the Ron Gardenhire talk too. Great manager, both during the game and off the field. Go Phillies!

• Vernon Dozier

September 30, 2017 at 12:46 am

You’re assuming that just because a manager doesn’t shake his head and roll his eyes in the dugout that the players are being coddled?

• Terri

October 1, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I agree with you about Larry Bowa. During the last 2 months of this season, I saw these young players playing a lot like Bowa. Inside the park hr, bunting for a base hit, stealing bases, etc. Larry needs to stay right here in Philly.

9. Betasigmadeltashag

September 30, 2017 at 1:13 am

I’m not sure about Walthon, the style doesn’t always translate to the big leagues. A lot of the decisions are made by the front office when it comes to line up and pitcher rotation and playing time etc.
    I was at the game tonight and even though they won there was some bad coaching decisions. First in the 5th? Inning Alfaro got a bloop double, the ball dropped between the 2nd baseman and RF and he ran hard and got a double. 0 outs up 4-2 pitcher up you have to bunt the pitcher, one out man on third. Hernandez walks after Lively grounds out.
    Then Galvis singles up the middle. The center feilder charges the ball and basically throws from the infield dirt and Sammy sends Alfaro and gets thrown out at the plate.