News

Morning news: Make all your Kingery puns

Good morning! We’re three days from opening day! Here’s the news:

KINGERY FOR A DAY: As of now you’ve heard that Scott Kingery has signed a six-year deal that could become a nine year deal with team options. Here’s our take on the deal. Also, read Matt Gelb if only for the clubhouse scene after the deal was signed.

Also, let’s just appreciate the new star pitcher tweeting congrats to Scott Kingery by way of a drink request, then the new manager joining in on the fun.

OUTSIDE THE KING’S COURT: The Phillies had to make some roster moves, and they did. First they designated pitcher Ricardo Pinto for assignment to clear up 40-man roster space for Kingery. Then they optioned Jesmuel Valentin to the minor leagues because he’d be redundant.

So in one day they shooed longtime catcher Cameron Rupp and former touted prospect Ricardo Pinto off the 40-man roster while bringing Kingery up with a new contract. Things are certainly different now.

AND THE GAME: Rhys Hoskins and Maikel Franco homered but the Phils lost 6-5 to the Orioles. Nick Pivetta went three, striking out five and giving up just two hits, while Ben Lively gave up two runs in four.

TODAY’S GAME: For the penultimate game of the spring schedule, the Phillies head to Bradenton to take on the Pirates. Game is at 1 p.m.

1. Jeff S

March 26, 2018 at 9:52 am

Hard to say that the Kingery signing was a bad move. The only other minor who got such a deal was Singleton. But, at worse, Kingery will be far from the bust that Singleton became. I think he will be starting at third before too long since, even though hitting some homers, Franco’s swing looks as long as ever.

2. Steve

March 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm

This young man seems to have “class” written all over him.
    This move by Phils ownership shows me they are ready to start winning again!
    Next up for long deal are Nola & Hoskins….

3. Jeff S

March 26, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Kingery celebrates by hitting his fifth homer of the spring.

4. Jeff Orbach

March 26, 2018 at 5:00 pm

This is the first time since 2012 that I’ve been excited about the Phils. I am going April 7.

5. Mitchell Nathanson

March 26, 2018 at 5:13 pm

BTW, nobody wants to comment on the possible racial issue involved in this signing? Did they offer J.P. Crawford a similar deal? If not, why Kingery but not Crawford? Isn’t Crawford the more highly-rated prospect? Wouldn’t it make sense for the Phils to want to ensure that Crawford, playing the most important position on the field, is in the fold for the next nine seasons as well?

• Ken Bland

March 26, 2018 at 5:50 pm

You seriously have to be kidding. First of all, everyone thinks Kingery’s first crack at a regular, or primary position is 3rd because Franco has worn patience to a thread. While there’s no arguing that, there are a couple others that might do well to perform. One of whom is Crawford, who, thanks to traditional thinking, is a real plus defensively, but a HUGE question mark offensively. And what in heaven’s name does prospect ranking have to do with anything? It’s what you see on the field and in the clubhouse that tells all. No knock on Crawford in that area, but at least from what is available to read and hear, Kingery seems to have made a great impression in that area, brief as its been. Don’t I remember Herrera getting some sort of long term deal a year or two ago? Unbelievable comment. WELL ahead of the usual grain, but INCREDIBLE!

• Mitchell Nathanson

March 26, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Kingery is 23-years-old, without a single ML at-bat, and already we’re hearing he has the makings of a “clubhouse leader.” Really? Sort of reminds me of the crap Mike Schmidt said last year about who was qualified to be a leader on the club. Herrera got a three-year-deal, I believe. Not even half what Kingery got. Not saying it’s not a smart move to sign Kingery to this deal — it is — but he’s a bigger risk than Crawford, no question. Outside of Philly, most scouts rate him as a potential average big-leaguer. If all goes well, a little above-average. If not, a nice utility guy. Still, not a bad gamble by the Phils. But Crawford has a much bigger upside. And he plays shortstop. True, he’s a question-mark offensively but Kingery is full of question marks. All I’m saying is that it’s odd that they chose to go out on a limb with the bigger question mark who plays a less important position. I guess he plays the game “the right way,” eh?

• Ken Bland

March 26, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Only time will tell, but in my estimation, there’s a lot less uncertainty about Kingery having a more effective career, so we can simply disagree. I get that he hasn’t played, and it’s not impossible that you wind up right in Crawford achieving more upside, but I think you’re too conservative on Scott’s ability. You said earlier today on here he’s still a longshot to be an average MLBer, and obviously, with zero actual experience, he’s not a lock, but I don’t see longshot as an applicable description. Myself, I see him with Ben Zobrist level potential. Regardless of who time honors with a more correct guess, I personally didn’t think it had a racial angle that Kingery got a deal, and I know you didn’t say he did, but I didn’t find raising the subject productive.

Wonder if you remember Ted Savage. I suspect so. The original Dom Brown, though he lasted about 8 years and later parlayed his career into a Community Something or Other with the Cards. Savage was the talk of ST in ’62-63ish, and by the standards he was assigned, didn’t achieve success. You never know, but I’m a believer in Kingery.

• Mitchell Nathanson

March 27, 2018 at 8:03 am

I’m a believer in Kingery as well. I like him and am glad the Phils are going to play him from day one. All I was saying was that any rookie is a longshot. There are no sure things. For every Mike Trout and Bryce Harper there are dozens of David Clydes and Joe Charboneaus. I brought up Tommy Joseph before because he was a guy (when he was traded to the Phils organization in the Pence trade) who had “catcher of the future” written all over him. But it didn’t work out for him and it wasn’t even due to anything he had any control over. So you never know. With regard to the racial angle, I have to say that I didn’t like what I was hearing from Klentak and Gregg Murphy (and Ben Davis, I believe) on Sunday (right before they made the K announcement): there was a lot of talk about the “added” things Kingery gives the Phils — things like “playing the game the right way” (one of them actually said that), and his “presence in the locker room” (huh? He’s a rookie. He has no presence). All garbage. Hey, he might wind up to be a great team leader. I hope he does. But they never say stuff like that about Crawford. I haven’t heard anything negative about Crawford at all (attitude-wise) so I’m wondering why it is that Kingery gets singled out for that treatment but Crawford doesn’t. I know, I know, they said good things about Freddy Galvis over the past few years, so it’s not as if they’re a bunch of racists. I know that they’re not. But it’s the subtle stuff that creeps in, stuff even they aren’t aware of, that I find troubling. Schmidt’s not a racist either but his embedded biases slipped out when he singled out a bunch of white guys as having leadership capabilities but no people of color. That’s what I’m getting at.

• Jeff S

March 26, 2018 at 8:55 pm

It’s fair to raise the question. But Hoskins doesn’t have a deal either. And maybe they tried to work out something with Crawford. But, based on his spring training, where he has 5 homers and is batting over .400, seems pretty clear that Kingery has a higher ceiling than Crawford.

• schmenkman

March 27, 2018 at 9:24 pm

“…based on his spring training,…”

You could say the same about each of the following players based on his spring training:

Yuniesky Betancourt (1.025 OPS in 2013)
        Michael Martinez (.916 in 2012)
        Ben Francisco (1.106 in 2011)
        Eric Bruntlett (1.005 in 2009)
        Greg Dobbs (1.077 in 2007)
        Ron Calloway (1.003 in 2007)
        Chris Coste (1.305 in 2006)

Anyone can look in 50 spring at bats. There’s no doubt Kingery has a lot of promise, but to assume, based on his Spring, that his ceiling is any higher than Crawford’s, is frankly just ludicrous.

• schmenkman

March 28, 2018 at 5:19 am

*Anyone can look _great_ in 50 spring at bats.

6. Ken Bland

March 27, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Wonder why all of a sudden in this thread no reply box is offered following the last reply from Mitchell. Oh, well.

Anyhow, might be some accurate insight into your racial sensitivity on this thing. I’m not quick to jump onto it, but I respect the interpretations. Hopefully, both players perform well, things are harmonious. We shall see.

Good work, Mitchell.

7. betasigmadeltahag

March 28, 2018 at 10:27 pm

It is not like Kingery has not put up the numbers in all levels of the minors. And the good club house guy could come from how he is perceived in the minor league club houses. It is not just 50 ST at bats. He should have made the 25 man roster last year and played. Do any of you watch him play, swing run, play defense. I have watched him in the minors and he has a good swing and will be a good hitter. Of course there is a chance he can not make the step up to the majors. But if you look and how he has played in the years with this organization, the feeling is not from 50 ST at bats. The Phillies really need to trade Hernandez or if they feel Kingery can play third Franco. It makes no sense to try at get Kingery at bats and moving him around the field this season.

8. schmenkman

March 30, 2018 at 6:10 pm

“It is not like Kingery has not put up the numbers in all levels of the minors.”

Last year Kingery and Crawford hit about the same in AAA, and yet some are saying Crawford isn’t ready, even though he was younger than Kingery last year, AND played a more demanding position.

Kingery .294/.337/.449 (117 wRC+)
    Crawford .243/.351/.405 (114 wRC+)

Kingery had the higher SLG, but Crawford got on base more, which is more important.

Power is measured as the difference between SLG and Average, and Crawford’s pop in AAA was slightly better:

Kingery .155 Isolated Power