The Phillies have interviewed Giants third-base coach Phil Nevin for its managerial opening, reports Todd Zolecki.
Zolecki also names the candidates most likely to be of high interest to the Phillies. They are:
- Chip Hale – Athletics third-base coach
- Mickey Callaway – Indians pitching coach
- Gabe Kapler – Dodgers director of player development
- Dusty Wathan – IronPigs manager
- Jorge Velandia – Phillies front-office executive
- Juan Samuel – Phillies third-base coach
Of all the names, Kapler is the most intriguing. He’s a Dodgers front-office wonk with a passion for analytics and sports science. He also played for a number of years, winning a championship with the Red Sox in 2004. He also works out.