There’s lots to get to this week, with the Williamsport Crosscutters starting up their season and the Clearwater Threshers going to the All-Star Break. Let’s get to it.
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs: 32-34
- Reading Fightin’ Phils: 38-28
- Clearwater Threhers: 36-30
- Lakewood BlueClaws: 29-41
- Williamsport Crosscutters: 1-1
- Enyel De Los Santos pitched five scoreless innings for Lehigh Valley on Tuesday. He allowed only two hits and one walk, while striking out six. He backed that up with a six inning, three run performance on Sunday. It’s possible he could start for the Phillies on Friday night against the Miami Marlins.
- Deivy Grullon went 2-4 with a double on Wednesday. He went 2-5 with a double and two RBIs on Friday. He added another two-hit game on Saturday.
- Ramon Rosso was very good in his first Triple-A start, going six innings and striking out nine. He allowed just one unearned run.
- Mauricio Llovera had a solid outing in Reading on Wednesday. He went six innings, allowing two runs on six hits and two walks. He had eight strikeouts.
- Cornelius Randolph went 3-4 with a triple on Thursday for Reading.
- Adonis Medina had another great outing on Thursday. He pitched 7.1 innings, allowing two runs on three hits and a walk. He struck out five and threw 88 pitches.
- JoJo Romero may be figuring things out. On Friday, he pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing only three hits and a walk. He added eight strikeouts. He was also incredibly efficient, only throwing 75 picthes.
- Damon Jones also had an awesome outing for Reading this week. On Sunday, he went six innings, allowing one run on one hit and one walk. He struck out 12. It was his first Double-A start.
- Rodolfo Duran went 3-4 with a double, two RBIs and two runs scored for Clearwater on Monday.
- We got another glimpse of how good Alec Bohm’s plate discipline is this week. On Tuesday, he went 1-1 with a double and three walks. He then went 2-4 with two runs scored and a RBI on Wednesday.
- Jhailyn Ortiz went 2-4 with two doubles and two RBIs in that Wednesday game as well.
- Rafael Marchan had a few nice games this week with Lakewood. He went 2-3 with a double on Tuesday. He then went 2-5 with a double on Wednesday. He finished the week with a 2-4, three RBI performance on Sunday.
- Cole Stobbe went 2-4 with a double, triple, three RBIs and two runs scored for Lakewood on Wednesday.
- Seth Lancaster went 3-4 for Williamsport on Saturday.
Bryson Stott Update
The Williamsport Crosscutters did start their season this week, but the Phillies first round pick from this month’s draft did not join them. That’s because Stott and the Phillies are yet to agree on a deal. Stott is expected to sign so don’t worry, but it may be a little while until we see him in action. In the meantime, Phillies Nation Editorial Director Tim Kelly interviewed Stott’s high school and college head coaches in an excellent piece.
Notable Season Stats
- Top prospect Alec Bohm continues to be the total package at the plate this year. In 59 games, he’s slashing .332/.398/.518 with six home runs, 18 doubles, three triples, 33 RBIs, 36 runs scored and 27 walks.
- Adonis Medina is sizzling hot right now. His ERA is down to 3.32 and is WHIP is at 1.19. My only gripe with Medina would be that he’s not getting as many strikeouts as he has in the past. This year, he only has 41 strikeouts in 57 innings, after averaging 10 strikeouts per nine innings the past two years.
- Luis Garcia is a mess this year. His average sits at .186 and he only has 10 extra base hits in 64 games. He also struck out 68 times compared to 24 walks.
- Enyel De Los Santos has an ERA of 3.28 in eight starts for Lehigh Valley this year. His WHIP is 1.16 and opponents are only hitting .215 against him.
- We’ve touched on JoJo Romero’s struggles a lot this year, but hopefully this last start will jump-start him. For the season, he has a 7.76 ERA in 12 starts with Triple-A and Double-A, with him going in reverse order, starting at Triple-A and being sent down to Double-A. Opponents are hitting .315 against him with a 1.78 WHIP, the fact that he’s only given up seven home runs this year shows that he’s been wild for most of his starts and not just missing a pitch here and there.
- Francisco Morales has started coming out of the bullpen for Lakewood.. The 19-year-old has 66 strikeouts in 46 innings, but has an ERA of 4.50, so his dominant stuff may work better in shorter outings out of the bullpen.
- Mickey Moniak seems to be stuck in the .250-.260 range this season. His average currently sits at .256 with 62 strikeouts compared to 15 walks.
- Jhailyn Ortiz is only hitting .212 for the season. However, he’s starting to drive in more runs with seven home runs and 30 RBIs in 50 games. There’s still a lot of work to do with him, but the power is there.
- Rafael Marchan is hitting .282 with a .365 on-base percentage for Lakewood. He has 13 doubles and zero home runs, so hopefully as he grows, those doubles turn to home runs. He has great approach as well, with 15 walks compared to 17 strikeouts.
- David Parkinson has a 3.63 ERA in 11 starts for Reading. He’s doing a good job of keeping the ball in the park with only four home runs allowed.
- Deivy Grullon’s batting average has dropped to .304 after reaching .393 at the end of April. He’s hitting .196 in June. Grullon is still driving in runs, though, with 40 RBIs on the season.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘The Phillies Got A Gem:’ Former Coaches Laud First-Round Pick Bryson Stott
- Steering Clear Of Charlie Morton Appears To Have Been A Major Mistake By Phillies
- Hector Neris Has Used His Elite Pitch To Become The Rock Of The Phillies Bullpen
- He’s Not A Lefty, But Marcus Stroman Remains An Intriguing Trade Candidate For The Phillies
- Flashback: The Time Gabe Kapler Had To Be Pinch-Run For In The Middle Of A Home Run