The Phillies avoided arbitration with all of their remaining eligible players ahead of Friday afternoon’s 1 p.m. ET deadline.
Shortly before said deadline, the Phillies avoided having to go through the arbitration process with their final two eligible players, first baseman Rhys Hoskins and reliever José Alvarado. Hoskins will make $4.8 million in 2021, according to Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia. Alvarado, who the Phillies hope can help fix their bullpen, signed for $1 million, according to Robert Murray of FanSided.
According to MLB Trade Rumors Hoskins projected salary fell between $3.4 million and $5.5 million. Alvarado’s projected salary was listed between $1 million and $1.1 million.
After a late-season injury in 2020, Hoskins underwent surgery on his left elbow, which came with a four to six month recovery timeline. The Phillies hope Hoskins will be ready at the start of the regular season, as he slashed .245/.384/.503 with 10 home runs, 26 RBIs and 29 walks in 41 games this past season.
Alvarado was the first major league acquisition of new Phillies president Dave Dombrowski. The Phillies traded 2015 third-round pick Garrett Cleavinger to Tampa Bay in the deal to acquire the former Rays reliever.
Alvarado put up blistering numbers in 2018. He posted a 2.39 ERA in 64 innings of work and featured a 101-mph fastball. However, the 25-year-old struggled to stay healthy in 2019 and 2020, and wasn’t effective when pitching, posting a 5.08 ERA in 44 games.
Earlier in the day, the Phillies also avoided arbitration with starter Vince Velasquez, with Salisbury noting that figure will come in at $4 million.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs Of The 2020 Season
- Dave Dombrowski Provides Update On J.T. Realmuto, Didi Gregorius
- Andrew Knapp: ‘I Do Think That I Can Play Every Day’
- Would Phillies Be Able To Compete In A Meaningful Way During J.T. Realmuto’s Remaining Peak Years?
- Phillies Should Avoid Banking On Spencer Howard As Key Starter In 2021
- 5 J.T. Realmuto Free Agency Scenarios That End In Him Signing Elsewhere
- What Was The Biggest Home Run Of Chase Utley’s Career?
- Phillies Trade For Intriguing Reliever José Alvarado
- Which Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?
- The Hidden Value In J.T. Realmuto Lies Within His Improved Pitch-Framing Abilities
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park