In a surprising move, the Phillies are sending third baseman Alec Bohm to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. In a corresponding move, Rhys Hoskins (groin) is back from the 10-day injured list.
Bohm has been relegated to a bench role over the past few weeks, starting only four games for the Phillies since Aug. 11. He holds a .291/.359/.385 slash line since June 1, but the lack of power along with his defensive struggles at third and first base prompted the Phillies to make the move. The 25-year-old will get a chance to play every day in Lehigh Valley. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him back with the Phillies once rosters expand to 28 on Sept. 1.
Bohm’s demotion gives way for Hoskins’ much anticipated return. Since Hoskins’ last start against Washington on Aug. 6, the Phillies rank 30th in batting average (.181), slugging percentage (.328) and runs scored (36). The entire lineup is stuck in a massive slump and while Hoskins told the media he might not play at 100% for the rest of the season, his ability to hit for power and grind out at-bats should prove to be a boost for the offense.
Here’s how the Phillies and Padres line up for their series finale in San Diego.
- Odúbel Herrera, left field
- Jean Segura, second base
- Bryce Harper, right field
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- Didi Gregorius, shortstop
- Ronald Torreyes, third base
- Travis Jankowski, center field
- Kyle Gibson, pitcher
- Trent Grisham, center field
- Fernando Tatis Jr, right field
- Manny Machado, third base
- Jake Cronenworth, shortstop
- Tommy Pham, left field
- Eric Hosmer, first base
- Adam Frazier, second base
- Victor Caratini, catcher
- Craig Stammen, pitcher
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘I’m A Little Different Than Most’: Meet The Phillies’ Eccentric New Pitching Prospect
- Cole Hamels Won’t Be Pitching For The Dodgers After All
- Phillies Nuggets: Who’s Up Next On The Wall Of Fame?
- Brad Miller’s Grand Slam Reminds Us Why We Love Baseball
- Ian Kennedy Got The Job Done Saturday With The Help Of Some Analytics
- Former Phillie Darin Ruf Is Having A Career Year With San Francisco
- Max Scherzer Reportedly Was Unwilling To Approve Trade To Phillies
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs